[mod] Ius Virginalis

Ius Virginalis

This is a simple mod that allows you to add one more tenet when creating a new religion or reforming your faith.

If you meet the conditions ("Male Dominated", "Temporal Head of Faith", "Adultery Men Accepted" and "Adultery Women Accepted"), you can set one of the following religious laws:

Ius Virginalis

Upon entering the adulthood, every young woman is expected to go on a pilgrimage to their head of faith to offer her virginity to him. If a child is born from such union, it is considered out of wedlock.

Ius Feminibus

All new female members of the faith are expected to go on a pilgrimage to their head of faith to offer their body to him. If a child is born from such union, it is considered out of wedlock.

Ius Feminibus Absolutus

All new female members of the faith, be married or not, are expected to go on a pilgrimage to their head of faith to offer their body to him. If a child is born from such union, it is considered out of wedlock.

That's all, nothing less and nothing more.

----

DISCLAIMER

I made this mod as an idea that was shown to be less interesting that I originally thought, so consider it abandoned from the very start. I won't be doing any more versions and I won't update this mod to the newer versions of the game.

Despite that, this mod is made in a very special way, so it should be compatible with ALL other mods and even if the wrong version warning appear, this should still work without any issues, becasause it's fully independent on the official game files, too.

----

KNOWN ISSUES

In a sense, those files itself have no issues, but the implementation may suck depending on the other mods or settings.

For example, if your faith doesn't have "Polyamory" tenet, the head of faith may get into trouble for sleeping with his believers despite it's technically also part of the faith. I was unable to remove this mess, because the game is quite forceful about this and I would have to change a lot of its content for it.

The idea of the children not being "bastards", but "holy bastards" or something like that is also much easier said than done, because I'm not good enough to force the game to implement it without rewriting a huge part of its code, so unless you're gonna pick it up and make it yourself, this won't be ever done.

----

You're free to use all files of this mod in your own mods if you desire. There is no need to ask me first.

Have a nice day!

OK, like the author said this mod is a bad idea, unless your religion is a small cult you are going to have notification every one seconds where your female follower is asking to sleep with you. The only way to reduce this is maybe to make it so that only a ruler female family members go through this. Should lessen the notification a bit. This is especially true if your religion is big as fuck. I have to spend near half an hour to get through 1 year of gameplay due to this. The bastards are also a huge problems like the author said. Upon dying you empire is guarantee to be split apart hard. Like it or not the only way to solve this is to create holy bastard status. I'm not that clear about status modding. Maybe make so that the child be will considered something like child from previous marriage or something that have no claims.

I can think of a few potential ways to rein in the flood of horny women.

1) Check the 'pope's number of living children, if it's over a set number, the offers stop coming from anyone not within the 'pope's court.

2) Have a decision available for a 'pre-set answer' to the offers. This sets a flag on the character that is checked briefly before moving on to one of two events, one visible, one hidden. So the offers keep happening (and the mating), but they don't have to pester the player.

3) Make the pilgrimage an actual choice, like a regular pilgrimage, that the AI can randomly do (or not) depending on personality traits, availability, and personal opinion of said 'pope'.

4 hours ago, TrollAutokill said:

Hi, interesting mod, I tried it and it was fun. Until one day I reached 300 children and the game went mad, all of them had a stress crisis followed by death. I guess there is a hard cap somewhere in the code, but I could not find it.

Pope Kwenlan the Blood-Father

It's not a cap on children. It's just that if you have 300 siblings and one of them dies all of their stress goes up which might kill more of them which causes more stress killing more of them until everybody is dead. There's a mod at the top of the Steam Workshop to prevent it. anti-stress cascade.

13 hours ago, whateverdontcare said:

It's not a cap on children. It's just that if you have 300 siblings and one of them dies all of their stress goes up which might kill more of them which causes more stress killing more of them until everybody is dead. There's a mod at the top of the Steam Workshop to prevent it. anti-stress cascade.

Thanks for the answer. That's a funny behavior and this mod makes it more realistic, I believe.

So my character finally died and his 1 year old son, got to be the head of faith. Contrary to what I expected young virgins continued to come and visit him for pilgrimage. Was that really intended? I look at the code and it does ask for head of faith to be adult : in Virginalis\common\scripted_effects\lusVirginalis.txt

iusvirginalis_one_effect = {
    save_scope_as = target_iusvirginalis

faith = {

religious_head = {
            limit = {
                is_male = yes
                is_alive = yes
                is_adult = yes

OR = {
                    is_player = yes
                    AND = {
                        OR = {
                            NOT = { has_trait = chaste }
                            OR = {
                                has_trait = devoted
                                has_trait = zealous
                            }
                        }
                        NOT = { has_trait = eunuch }
                        NOT = { has_trait = celibate }
                        NOT = { has_trait = bubonic_plague }
                        NOT = { has_trait = consumption }
                        NOT = { has_trait = great_pox }
                        NOT = { has_trait = leper }
                        NOT = { has_trait = lovers_pox }
                        NOT = { has_trait = pneumonic }
                        NOT = { has_trait = smallpox }
                        NOT = { has_trait = typhus }
                    }
                }
            }

trigger_event = iusvirginalis.003
        }
    }
}

Why on earth is this triggering?

Cheers

Pope Kwenlan II

• 2 weeks later...

I did some modding of my own. Changes include:

• Uses Carnalitas for the sex interaction (Required mod)
  • Builds on Adroit Religion to remove bastardry and adultery modifiers (Required mod)
  • Will now warn you if the target has Lover's Pox or Great Pox
  • Excommunication now works properly (was based on the wrong tenet)
  • Removed tenet requirements except temporal head of faith to let you build whatever religion you want
  • Bug fixes
  • Refactoring, removed duplicate code

Like the OP, feel free to edit my version of the mod without asking. I don't really plan to expand or maintain this, but it's a simple mod and shouldn't break easily.

Virginalis.zip

16 hours ago, Dastot said:

I did some modding of my own. Changes include:

• Uses Carnalitas for the sex interaction (Required mod)
  • Builds on Adroit Religion to remove bastardry and adultery modifiers (Required mod)
  • Will now warn you if the target has Lover's Pox or Great Pox
  • Excommunication now works properly (was based on the wrong tenet)
  • Removed tenet requirements except temporal head of faith to let you build whatever religion you want
  • Bug fixes
  • Refactoring, removed duplicate code

Like the OP, feel free to edit my version of the mod without asking. I don't really plan to expand or maintain this, but it's a simple mod and shouldn't break easily.

Virginalis.zip 7.86 kB · 9 downloads

Great! As I am setting up these kinds of mods recently, I am lucky to find this Carnalitas/Adrpit Religion based custom mod. BTW, a question:  what'll happen if the temporal head of faith is female?

12 hours ago, cymcum said:

Great! As I am setting up these kinds of mods recently, I am lucky to find this Carnalitas/Adrpit Religion based custom mod. BTW, a question:  what'll happen if the temporal head of faith is female?

I just tested it and while it shouldn't happen according to the script, the girls keep coming. It's the same issue and piece of code as in this post:

On 1/28/2021 at 11:56 AM, TrollAutokill said:

So my character finally died and his 1 year old son, got to be the head of faith. Contrary to what I expected young virgins continued to come and visit him for pilgrimage. Was that really intended? I look at the code and it does ask for head of faith to be adult : in Virginalis\common\scripted_effects\lusVirginalis.txt

iusvirginalis_one_effect = {
    save_scope_as = target_iusvirginalis

faith = {

religious_head = {
            limit = {
                is_male = yes
                is_alive = yes
                is_adult = yes

OR = {
                    is_player = yes
                    AND = {
                        OR = {
                            NOT = { has_trait = chaste }
                            OR = {
                                has_trait = devoted
                                has_trait = zealous
                            }
                        }
                        NOT = { has_trait = eunuch }
                        NOT = { has_trait = celibate }
                        NOT = { has_trait = bubonic_plague }
                        NOT = { has_trait = consumption }
                        NOT = { has_trait = great_pox }
                        NOT = { has_trait = leper }
                        NOT = { has_trait = lovers_pox }
                        NOT = { has_trait = pneumonic }
                        NOT = { has_trait = smallpox }
                        NOT = { has_trait = typhus }
                    }
                }
            }

trigger_event = iusvirginalis.003
        }
    }
}

Why on earth is this triggering?

Cheers

Pope Kwenlan II

Apparently there has to be an if-block around the limit and event trigger. I fixed those issues and uploaded a new version.

On that note: I absolutely don't get why PDX doesn't release proper documentation of their script language, so all modding is based on guesswork and monkey-see monkey-do. That's a horrible and depressing way to code. (One time, I messed up all birthday triggers because the scope is anything but clear - I either overwrote or globally limited them. People no longer grew up and gained traits. Stuff like that is frustrating.)

Virginalis.zip

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 8:41 PM, Dastot said:

Apparently there has to be an if-block around the limit and event trigger. I fixed those issues and uploaded a new version.

On that note: I absolutely don't get why PDX doesn't release proper documentation of their script language, so all modding is based on guesswork and monkey-see monkey-do. That's a horrible and depressing way to code. (One time, I messed up all birthday triggers because the scope is anything but clear - I either overwrote or globally limited them. People no longer grew up and gained traits. Stuff like that is frustrating.

Thanks, and I completely agree with you, trying to learn PDX scripting made me want to go back to Skyrim modding!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 10:58 AM, HrHauptfeld said:

Does it still work with 1.3? Events don't fire in my case.

I took a look at the version @Dastot posted.

This one fires events on 1.3. 

I'm pretty sure it is connected to the age check. Dastots version checks for FEMALE_ADULT_AGE from definies.txt while the original checks against a number. Can anybody explain to me why not both solutions are valid? As already noted by Dastot, documentation is terrible...

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CobraPL said:

Guys, how to NOT make every child conceived MC's? I want to do paternity fraud on husbands.

The reason they are all MCs is that it triggers when they turn 16, so they aren't married yet. Based on the bastardry mechanics, you automatically know the child isn't yours if it was conceived before you got married. You would have to change those mechanics.

• 1 month later...