Star Wars Games to be released in 2014! [UPDATE 22/05/2013 - Important]

Guest Lehshara

Guest Lehshara

Previous Title: Disney Closes LucasArts.

New Title: Star Wars Games to be released in 2014!

-- OLD NEWS (SKIP TO UPDATE 2) --

Disney, which acquired Lucasfilm and LucasArts last year has shut down the legendary LucasArts division.

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," Disney informed "Game Informer" in a statement. "As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

Although a Star Wars game factory in recent years, the publisher will be remembered for its work defining the adventure genre from the '80s to the '90s, on such titles as Maniac Mansion, The Secret of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle. The soul of those games and that era moved on from the company after the departure of Ron Gilbert and Double Fine's Tim Schafer.

The most recent project we are aware of by LucasArts is Star Wars 1313, but rumors have circulated for months about that project's ceased development. There's also the unclear fate of Star Wars: First Assault (Now we can say Goodbye to  Battlefront 3)

As for Disney, after shutting down the last of its core developers, the company is all-in on Disney Infinity and mobile games.

darth-vader-no.jpg

This message brought me to tears... and now I want to destroy Disney.

Ok, Who's with me? - We should (HAVE) burn disney!

[uPDATE]

If the statement given to Game Informer is any indication, it looks as though other development studios will now be able to license the Star Wars IP helping to achieve the “broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games.”

This could pave the way for licenses for studios such as Obsidian, which earlier this year said it had pitched an idea to Disney on the matter.

This also means, that both First Assault and Star Wars 1313 could potentially be picked up by other studios, although nothing official has been said on the matter. (Faith restored... but sill fuck you disney)

Regarding this subject, a LucasArts representative told Game Informer that “1313 was looking fantastic, the reception has been great,” as were the other unannounced titles the fiorm was working on.

@UPDATE #1 - 07/05/2013

Electronic Arts has picked up both exclusive development and publishing licenses for Star Wars games.

Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

@UPDATE #2 - 22/05/2013 - HOT

Electronic Arts will offer a "first look" at its plans for forthcoming Star Wars games at E3, the publisher has confirmed.

EA secured exclusive rights to 'core' Star Wars games earlier this month, but no specific details have been confirmed regarding forthcoming titles.

But that's likely to change at E3, according to the publisher. Writing on the official EA website, EA labels president Frank Gibeau promises new information regarding the IP.

"Our E3 briefing... will be a showcase of next-generation games like Battlefield 4, Need For Speed, a full range of EA Sports games and a first look at our plans for the Star Wars partnership with Disney," ~ Gibeau wrote.

EA is opening a new DICE studio in Los Angeles which will focus on Star Wars projects, following a recent restructuring. The games will be powered by Frostbite 3, but are unlikely to release until the 2014 fiscal year.

EA has promised a "great reveal at E3" and will release 11 major games in the 2014 fiscal year.

Guest Lehshara

-SNIP-

How could Lucas possibly compete with the other publishers/developers out there?

Lucasarts hasn't been making good games since Battlefront II

They were stupid that they canceled Battlefront 3 it would bring them a lot of $$$

There is gameplay on YouTube from PRE-ALPHA of Battlefront 3 which looks amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekO9s8qba-w

[i updated post... with some new info. regarding Star Wars: 1313]

Let's just hope EA doesn't get their grubby little paws on this.

Why not? I would happily steal (pirate) it from EA.

But yeah, EA means: Cut 50% content from game and sell it as DLC.

Like always it's all about $$$....

Kinda shame since Star Wars 1313 was really shaping to be something cool.

Update from Kotaku

Disney has laid off the staff of LucasArts and cancelled all current projects. Staff were involved of the shutdown this morning, according to a reliable Kotaku source.

Some 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio’s current projects — Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313 — were cancelled.

This comes after weeks and months of rumors involving the studio, which was acquired by Disney late last year. In September, LucasArts put a freeze on all hiring and product announcements, which many staff saw as the beginning of the end. Today, it’s official: the long-running studio is no more.

Guest Lehshara

Like always it's all about $$$....

Kinda shame since Star Wars 1313 was really shaping to be something cool.

Update from Kotaku

Disney has laid off the staff of LucasArts and cancelled all current projects. Staff were involved of the shutdown this morning, according to a reliable Kotaku source.

Some 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio’s current projects — Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313 — were cancelled.

This comes after weeks and months of rumors involving the studio, which was acquired by Disney late last year. In September, LucasArts put a freeze on all hiring and product announcements, which many staff saw as the beginning of the end. Today, it’s official: the long-running studio is no more.

Forgot to put this in my post.

Dziękuję rodaku :-)

Thinking about that for a moment, I realized... If DICE would buy STAR WARS IP: DICE + Battlefront 3 = Battlefront 3 on FrostBite 3.5 = Orgasm.

Sadly it's only mah dream.

It's not like Lucasarts has actually made anything in a long time. They where effectively dead as a development studio for years and years now, turning into a publisher; since Disney already has Disney Interactive for that, this is pretty much just getting rid of redundancies. All this is going to change is what logo you see on the front of a box.

It's not like Lucasarts has actually made anything in a long time. They where effectively dead as a development studio for years and years now, turning into a publisher; since Disney already has Disney Interactive for that, this is pretty much just getting rid of redundancies. All this is going to change is what logo you see on the front of a box.

They

Cancelled

Star Wars 1313

All is not what it seems.

to be fucking honest lucas has been dying a slow death since kotr. I myself say R.I.P you have earned it

And now Disney is going to deliver the killing stroke with some bullshit game.  Lucasarts at least had a chance at reviving the property.  

I miss the Jedi Knight series and thought Shadows of the Empire needed a sequel. I liked Rogue Squadron up until it went to the GameCube and it pissed me off. There's a book I read a few years ago where a Star Destroyer prison barge gets overrun by zombies, I think it takes place right before A New Hope. Give me an M rated SW title Disney pretty please.

Wow This is rather sad news, but I can agree for those who were upset about KOTOR.

They pretty much shot themselves in the foot there imo, I think KOTOR was one of the greatest games and it had excellent story.

Hell I remember getting all into my character, that game has a tendency to really grab you into it.

Wow This is rather sad news, but I can agree for those who were upset about KOTOR.

They pretty much shot themselves in the foot there imo, I think KOTOR was one of the greatest games and it had excellent story.

Hell I remember getting all into my character, that game has a tendency to really grab you into it.

Which one, the first KOTOR or KOTOR II: The Sith Lords?

Well I liked both of them to be honest but I liked them for different reasons.

I will include spoilers so for those who have not played the games please do not click that spoiler button.

KOTOR

The first one was over all my favorite. It had a more fresh and unique feel to it.

I remember my first play through I used a Scoundrel (Probably because I like how the outfit looked lolz).

I actually played the whole game satisfied using guns but very impressed that Bastilla was kicking ass with the force.

So playing through it I also loved talking to the NPC's (The party members particularly), they would really get into story of themselves at certain points.

I was actually a goodie two shoes for sometime. I kept hearing about this Malik and Revan (BTW I am refeering to my first play-through) and like playing I grew to dislike Malik (Or like tbh lol) but also was happy this crazy evil sounding Revan was no longer around.  Then comes the a little past the middle of the game after all these subtle hints that we sometimes miss yet kind of eluded to, we realize WE were reven (Usually on Dantoine if I remember correctly) then it is like OMFG!  On my first play through I actually embraced the dark side after pretty much being in extreme shock over the fact that I WAS REVAN! It was also cool how eventually you learned the force so you had to use your points wisely. I also liked how in part one the worlds had a more I don't know restrictive and realistic feel to them. It not like you were ALWAYS in a jungle killing deers like how part 2 kind of felt like. You had legitimate battles and joining the Sith Academy almost surely gained you some easy darkside points (I was 100 Good going in and 70% bad on my 2nd play through). The levels were much more interactive in a sense while somewhat restrictive in a good way like the level (I forgot which planet but it was the selkath planet where your pretty much locked up upon arrival) that was unique.

KOTOR 2

It was not bad either imo, but I honestly think this was story based too, but kind of a great story no one cared about. Also it was more party based because they had somewhat of an in-depth relationship system. But yeah I remember in the beginning it was almost eluded that you could have been Revan since Revan disappeared again after defeating Malik in part one. I started to like where this was going. Especially because in some of the early conversations you can kind of clarify the gender of Revan to fit your story from part one (Or your current one)  Then all of a sudden as you play through you realize you were pretty much just some mercenary who was no one special. OK granted you were a hero in some sense especially to Bao-Dur. But that was a weakness imo because it did not really get you into your character, I found myself more interested in my party members then my characters though I liked that too especially since you can turn them to Jedi's. Also it was nice being able to kind of find out other ways to get some of the other members of the party (I preferred females) so I used mods to make that happen :D. But sucked that you got stuck with GOTO (But there was a mod for that too, turn his junkself into a twi'lek chick. But yeah this game was too jungly if you ask me. It was good still though I enjoyed it HIGHLY though I certainly played more play troughs in part one, because I felt a little OP learning the force before I even got to level 2.

Over all Part 1 was way better.  But I would not have been upset to see a part 3 as I am sure it would have went pretty good and provided another 80+ hours of fun. ;)

I wouldn't count Star Wars games out completely just yet, Petroglyph Games a.k.a. Westwood Studios has done a few of the Star wars games. (Star Wars Empire at War) They could also pick it up again. Of course they are doing mainly RTS type games atm.

This is true, and also when it comes to Star Wars I did some more research and found out that it is also a matter of licensing. BIoware can again pick up the license or some other company and make some more games. I would love to see that as I persoanlly enjoyed most of them including Jedi Knight which alot of people did not like, but I found it hot using a Twi-Lek girl and using the force xD.

I will include spoilers so for those who have not played the games please do not click that spoiler button.

KOTOR

The first one was over all my favorite. It had a more fresh and unique feel to it.

I remember my first play through I used a Scoundrel (Probably because I like how the outfit looked lolz).

I actually played the whole game satisfied using guns but very impressed that Bastilla was kicking ass with the force.

So playing through it I also loved talking to the NPC's (The party members particularly), they would really get into story of themselves at certain points.

I was actually a goodie two shoes for sometime. I kept hearing about this Malik and Revan (BTW I am refeering to my first play-through) and like playing I grew to dislike Malik (Or like tbh lol) but also was happy this crazy evil sounding Revan was no longer around.  Then comes the a little past the middle of the game after all these subtle hints that we sometimes miss yet kind of eluded to, we realize WE were reven (Usually on Dantoine if I remember correctly) then it is like OMFG!  On my first play through I actually embraced the dark side after pretty much being in extreme shock over the fact that I WAS REVAN! It was also cool how eventually you learned the force so you had to use your points wisely. I also liked how in part one the worlds had a more I don't know restrictive and realistic feel to them. It not like you were ALWAYS in a jungle killing deers like how part 2 kind of felt like. You had legitimate battles and joining the Sith Academy almost surely gained you some easy darkside points (I was 100 Good going in and 70% bad on my 2nd play through). The levels were much more interactive in a sense while somewhat restrictive in a good way like the level (I forgot which planet but it was the selkath planet where your pretty much locked up upon arrival) that was unique.

KOTOR 2

It was not bad either imo, but I honestly think this was story based too, but kind of a great story no one cared about. Also it was more party based because they had somewhat of an in-depth relationship system. But yeah I remember in the beginning it was almost eluded that you could have been Revan since Revan disappeared again after defeating Malik in part one. I started to like where this was going. Especially because in some of the early conversations you can kind of clarify the gender of Revan to fit your story from part one (Or your current one)  Then all of a sudden as you play through you realize you were pretty much just some mercenary who was no one special. OK granted you were a hero in some sense especially to Bao-Dur. But that was a weakness imo because it did not really get you into your character, I found myself more interested in my party members then my characters though I liked that too especially since you can turn them to Jedi's. Also it was nice being able to kind of find out other ways to get some of the other members of the party (I preferred females) so I used mods to make that happen :D. But sucked that you got stuck with GOTO (But there was a mod for that too, turn his junkself into a twi'lek chick. But yeah this game was too jungly if you ask me. It was good still though I enjoyed it HIGHLY though I certainly played more play troughs in part one, because I felt a little OP learning the force before I even got to level 2.

Over all Part 1 was way better.  But I would not have been upset to see a part 3 as I am sure it would have went pretty good and provided another 80+ hours of fun. ;)

Yeah this were both great games but i like to point out Lucas Arts did neither of them. Part one  was developed by Bioware and part two  by Obsidian (who sadly couldn't finish it in the given time). I personaly would also love to see a third part out of these series but someone decide to make a mmo out of it.

To Lucas Art self: I can't rember one game they developed themself in the last 10 years. What I can't really understand they had the personnel and the knowhow and most of all one of the mightiest licenes alongside other famous game licenes. They died a slow death based on wrong management decisions over a decade.

KOTOR

KOTOR 2

While I liked the first part, the Juhani romance was a meh

KOTOR

KOTOR 2

Yeah this were both great games but i like to point out Lucas Arts did neither of them. Part one  was developed by Bioware and part two  by Obsidian (who sadly couldn't finish it in the given time). I personaly would also love to see a third part out of these series but someone decide to make a mmo out of it.

To Lucas Art self: I can't rember one game they developed themself in the last 10 years. What I can't really understand they had the personnel and the knowhow and most of all one of the mightiest licenes alongside other famous game licenes. They died a slow death based on wrong management decisions over a decade.

That's thanks to LucasArts rushed the deadline. As for making games themselves, they did make a few (for example Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Dark Forces).

Yeah but that is also form the 90's (1997 to be precise, Jedi Knight II was already developed by Raven Software). Back then they were a strong developer and had even influenced  the technical progression of pc-gaming. For some odd reason they stoped game development at the end of the 90's or at first years years of 2000. Star Wars 1313 was since then the only triple A game that was solitary developed by Lucas Arts (at least so far I know).

Archived