Star Wars Games to be released in 2014! [UPDATE 22/05/2013 - Important]

Guest Lehshara

At this point I'm sick of light sabers, so I'm all for more focus on blasters. Actually, more ready for a focus on anything that aren't fucking Jedi.

I like lightsabers, but I agree mostly.

The problem is that when it's not Jedi/Sith, it's bounty hunters.

Here's this whole galaxy to explore, but no let's keep focusing on the force users and bloody Boba Fett (because of course, every bounty hunter must be a Boba Fett copy by law set in stone in ages past upon the foundation of Babylon)

I once had an idea for a Star Wars RPG with no force users, except that the player uses a lightsaber as a Dragon Age murder knife.

It also involved using a Death Star to fight off an invasion by alternate universe Rakata. I have silly ideas.

Neither has EA.

Still doesn't answear the question about why people care about a crappy developer, all nostalgia. Sam & Max, Grim Fandango, Monkey Island what else? The other games I care about with the LucasArts logo weren't even developed by them so I don't give a shit.

Guest Lehshara

Ba Dum TSS!

Another quick update.

Electronic Arts will offer a "first look" at its plans for forthcoming Star Wars games at E3, the publisher has confirmed.

EA secured exclusive rights to 'core' Star Wars games earlier this month, but no specific details have been confirmed regarding forthcoming titles.

But that's likely to change at E3, according to the publisher. Writing on the official EA website, EA labels president Frank Gibeau promises new information regarding the IP.

"Our E3 briefing... will be a showcase of next-generation games like Battlefield 4, Need For Speed, a full range of EA Sports games and a first look at our plans for the Star Wars partnership with Disney," ~ Gibeau wrote.

EA is opening a new DICE studio in Los Angeles which will focus on Star Wars projects, following a recent restructuring. The games will be powered by Frostbite 3, but are unlikely to release until the 2014 fiscal year.

EA has promised a "great reveal at E3" and will release 11 major games in the 2014 fiscal year.

Battlefront 3 on Frostbite! Fuck yea!

Good God, they're guaranteeing a release date by 2014!? I sincerenly hope nobody expects them to hold to that promise.

I know i'm nitpicking. I really do. But EA is notorious for its incredibly tight deadlines and i'm worried about Star Wars fans such as myself getting a rushed, unfinished game. 2014 may seem like a long time, but unless there are tons of assets already completed that's not gonna be enough time even if the release date is December 31, 2014.  :-/

But to be less cynical, Battlefront 3 on the Battlefield 3 engine? That's nothing short of awesome.

EA = liar.  They are "promising" a date to generate hype.  Nothing more or less is going on.  They lie about damn near everything, so it really shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.  They will put massive pressure on the folks doing the work and delay the release as many times as needed to get a alpha version out, that they will claim is a "release ready" game, then patch it a couple of times to get it to beta state before abandoning it.  This is what they do.  It of course will require an always online connection, have a single player element that is about 2-3 hours long and feature multiplayer as the predominate draw.  Sure it will be fairly pretty but probably won't last long. 

Archived