Adult body to Teen Body Conversion Request

So, I've been wanting to make a conversion for sometime now to make some of the sims adult male bodys resized for teen males.  Specifically the ones venus princess has made (link to the top half body below) as it gives the body a more muscular and realistic shape.  The EA teen body always looked strange in my opinion and has clipping issues. 

I wanted to take a stab at it myself, however, my computer does not seem to like running some of the software needed unfortunately.  So, I figured I'd post here to see if i could put a bug in someone's ear to make the conversion!  I'd be extremely grateful to anyone willing to give it a shot!

https://venusprincess-ts3.tumblr.com/post/183726494513/venusprincess-simblr-vpsexytorso-bospiersbody

On 10/28/2020 at 9:00 AM, RichieKing said:

adult male bodys resized for teen males

Not that easy to do it correctly. It's one of the reasons why I don't just resize my adult female garments to make them teen. Waist and neck seam alignment might be the easy part, but getting the rest of the mesh to conform to teen format and bone alignment has been a PITA for me in the past.

Not sure which software you had problems with? I use Blender and GIMP. Both sites still have older versions available that are a bit smaller than newer versions. Less features, but enough that you can try.

You could always take a teen male body and adjust the mesh to add definition. Keep in mind to maintain the EA Animation and slider points - then no problems - tedious perhaps - but, doable.   It can be done in MilkShape or any mesh editor if converted to OBJ through MilkShape or Mesh Toolkit.  

On 10/30/2020 at 12:30 AM, JoshQ said:

Should be doable in Milkshape3D although you didn't specified what computer and specific problem you have.

Here’s a tutorial for converting clothes for teen, maybe some of the info could be applied to body parts.

I just have a very old laptop that cant hang.  In the past when I've tried to edit anything (not this specifically, wanted to try something easier) my computer will either freeze up requiring restart or overheat and shutdown.  That said, that was using blender, I will have to give milkshape a try, however, that tutorial link doesn't seem to work.  

23 hours ago, Non-sequitur said:

You could always take a teen male body and adjust the mesh to add definition. Keep in mind to maintain the EA Animation and slider points - then no problems - tedious perhaps - but, doable.   It can be done in MilkShape or any mesh editor if converted to OBJ through MilkShape or Mesh Toolkit.  

I'd definitely be fine with that too.  One of these days when i have time Im gonna have to dig into milkshape and give it a whirl.  

22 hours ago, LadySmoks said:

I was actually interested in looking at that, but the link gave me an error 444? Not sure if it's on my end or MTS? Somehow some symbols and numbers got added at the end of the thread number. https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=455242

Thank you for finding this link!  I'm hoping my computer will be able to handle milkshape better than it can blender.  

On 11/2/2020 at 4:40 PM, LadySmoks said:

Somehow some symbols and numbers got added

It seems like a space was added (%20) :/

On 11/3/2020 at 3:27 PM, RichieKing said:

have to dig into milkshape

Compared to Blender this is an ancient tool, but it has the basics to move, scale, rotate vertices and with the plugin mentioned in the tutorial you can make extra things, like adapting the adult torso to teen.

I think the most laborious thing would be to reduce the chest, shoulder and back proportions so the teen doesn’t look on roids; after that it’s a matter of doing the same with the morphs. Not impossible it just requires a little patience.

Here’s a link with more resources / tutorials.

10 hours ago, JoshQ said:

a space was added (%20)

Yes. Some things I figure out, some I don't. ))) Still having several problems with items I am working on, but I will be certain to exhaust all of what I can find before sending you a PM to ask. )))

On 11/3/2020 at 4:27 PM, RichieKing said:

I just have a very old laptop that cant hang. 

I do not know how old your laptop is, but for a long time, I ran Blender 2.67 on a cheap... CHEAP laptop. https://www.blender.org/download/releases/2-67/ . Not sure how it compares to Milkshape, as Blender is free and I never figured out how to use Milkshape during the free trial, so saw no sense in paying for something I could not figure out.

MIN Approach:

1st you need software for 3D mesh editing that will work on your machine. MilkShape is good for that.

2nd you need Mesh Tool Kit and TSRW.

3rd Use toolkit or MilkShape to convert to OBJ format and use any 3D editor to do what you want. Or, just import WSO from TSRW (export) into MilkShape.

4th reverse process to reassemble and test.

• MilkShape is not supported but has some great features, many plug-ins, and is very simplistic. Well worth the cost of admission if working a lot in Sims 3.
  • MilkShape is Small and designed on a 32 bit machine. It should work on any laptop.
  • It can convert to and from WSO, OBJ and a dozed other game formats.
  • All shader, repair routines, and smoothing utilities are built in.  even tools to reduce poly count and bone assignments. There is a basic UV map editor.

If you need help with MS functions - I can help.

• 1 month later...

Actually...

The Standard EA Mesh used for the Adult body and the Teen body are exactly the same in height, and seam locations. 

The area between the breasts and abdomen are slightly different between them.  A little less contouring ( a little more toward that 12-YO boy look)- but seams are all the same, as is height.

1910224471_adutl-teen1.PNG.4b7bae2e86c4f8c84fcbe86d11877d06.PNG

White image = Adult             Red image = Teen

Notice body contours are slightly different.

All other key points and seams are identical.

This means that the two bodies are interchangeable - the game does all the other magic.

So, in theory you could take the exported mesh from an Adult top or bottom from TSRW and import it into a Teen top or bottom in TSRW. 

Be sure to also save all the images in the Adult TSRW file... Overlays, Color Mask, Multiplier, Specular, and in the mesh material groups... save the Normal Map, for the garment you convert to Teen. Where you get the image from the Adult file - is the same place it goes back - in the Teen file.

The Skin will map the same as what is selected for the Teen Sim in game.

The Adult body will Map as a Teen for minor height adjustment.

Armatures for animation remain default for teen as that is what was set for the Teen in TSRW. You only import the framework of the Adult into the Teen file. Then use the Adult garment images to map to the surfaces and to match what the Adult had... or, get creative!

Doing the above can take any Adult body with it's garment top/bottom and convert it to Teen.

Converting a full Outfit is done the same way -  you just need to start with a full exported Adult Outfit and import it into a Teen Outfit. 

Should work... lol

Now that your head is spinning...

How about the down-and-dirty way to convert an Adult Female Body with garment of any kind to a Teen Body with garment.

Load your favorite Adult Female garment into TSRW.

At the upper right corner... of the TSRW application, you find the AGE selection.

54800637_TwinsTSRW.PNG.225fc5eefde90c6041aa07218465949e.PNG

All you need do is change this age.

Warning: Select only one check-box at a time.  Unchecked the oldest first - it will ask if you want to reload for the gender selection - okay it... and WAIT!   It may seem like it's done or not doing anything... but it REALLY takes a minute.

• Keep un-checking all the age groups - one at a time until no box is checked.
  • Then, Check the TEEN box and load its data.
  • Save your project - Please be sure to change the Description info and save it under another name! 
  • Save as Sims3pack
  • Convert to Package file.
  • Install in Mods.

The example below used the aforementioned method. 

The female of the left is TEEN - the one on right is ADULT.

Notice some slight skin tone changes at neck.  that is one of my images being a shade off - not a fault of assembly.

The Teen is now Endowed as the Adult with nice body contouring. 

Twins.PNG.b7e49eb0db316749dfe5993c343f0e2c.PNG

Hope this works for you...

Went through every method I can think of in the last few threads...

ENJOY !

8 hours ago, Non-sequitur said:

This means that the two bodies are interchangeable

No, they are not. They show very differently in game. Using Nraas Master Controller, there is an option to use adult parts for teen. Generally, the adult part shows out of proportion. On female, breasts are larger, which some men may like, the body appears wider, they look short and compressed, arms are bigger and the neck seam does not align. A mod to use teen as maid shows this well. Males also have a disproportionally large chest, which looks odd, and the other issues as well. 

Actually try it... I showed you the mesh... a simple comparison you can do on your own. The mesh seams are identical, the height is identical, the location of seams are identical... The joint locations are identical, key animation point locations are identical.

I even showed you the results - IN-GAME - of the conversion between an outfit made on my Adult Cartoon Body and a standard EA Teen

All of what you talk about is from the game doing its magic by compressing the mesh frame. If converted correctly Seams match, as does vertices matching points along those seams. Swapping a Teen frame with an adult one - it will work. As I have demonstrated.   From a game perspective - it's easier to create a flag (like Teen) and automate a scaling and restriction routine than to create another class of objects. 

Yes, if you don't pay attention when assembling and bare those facts in mind you will have weird distortions. Some garments just don't take kindly to being compressed dimensionally.

If the neck seam doesn't align - the garment you are converting is aligned wrong in the first place.  

I did not talk about conversion between males.  Nor have I done a physical comparison between the male frames. 

Due to the Frame Compression the converted garment will also be compressed proportionally.  If you took your Cat Suit and scaled it in the "Z" axis - it would start to look odd at some point - as will any converted (compressed) garment.   As it compresses down - it also expands in width slightly.  I only Demoed a full outfit as they are the easiest to show what happens.  These are easily compensated for by a minor adjustment to the standard EA sliders for proportionality.   You are taking an adult, well proportioned body and squishing it... taking a size 10 woman and squeezing her into a size 6 dress - so to speak.  There comes a point when spandex is not complimentary. 

BTW: Currently,  I have no Sex-Mods or game Mods of any kind installed when making a world - just a clean machine set up for building the new world and only mods for that world.  Occasionally, I need a break from the tedious work and make a garment.  Fun stuff... I start building a world when I run out of ideas for making garments.  So, make new bodies, or world objects... then worlds... which gives me ideas for new garments and Objects...  The more you create - the more you know about it.  Eventually, you don't get stuck on the minor things... or syntax (unless you're Coding... lol)

6 hours ago, Non-sequitur said:

the game doing its magic by compressing the mesh frame.

As a non mod maker, sitting on the sidelines and watching still has benefits. What LadySmoks mentioned is one reason I never used the NRaas/Mastercontroller/CAS settings change for allow teens to use adult clothing.... Now I know why that doesn't 'look good'. And your explanation of the actually mesh mechanics makes sense as it would be the easiest way for EA to program the game with the least amount of effort. They just feed the mesh used through one of 2 'filters' when designing stuff for the game. Player made tools and programs apparently don't 'undo this' so we are stuck with a 'hard copy' of the mesh in either of the 2 formats.

Skin textures don't require 2 separate types for teen and adult. in fact many things can be used by both types of sims without issue. This should be a flag of sorts for understanding the nuts and bolts from a perspective not shaped by experience with the shortcomings of player made tools/programs. It's a shame there isn't a simple 'setscale' feature like the one found in the Creation Engine for the Bethesda games. But making a tiny adult would still look like an adult.....

Exactly Landess.

An example of Skins for Teen and Adult. 

There are light scale, dark scale and a dozen other image slots for a Sim Skin - not considering the Tone Scale image (slider) or shinny/wet controls.

Each of these images is an override for some aspect of the default. Basically layers over layers... and yes overlays and shading as well.

There is a section for each sim from baby to Elder, each having their own image slots for each body part, scalp, face, full body, along with any augmentations such as scars, etc. 

Since the teen, Young adult, and adult all share the same basic framework - it is customary to use the same Skin images for all three,  for that gender, when making a new Skin.

I would add that when making a Skin - any slot that does not have an image will revert to the EA Default for the gender and age group.  This means that many times you will find a skin that is only set up for a specific age or gender and any sim (images) not included in one of those groups takes on the Default. That's what happens with the slight skin tone difference at the neck - the Face and/or scalp image was not added to the skin and the body image was slightly off-shade - The body is one color and the face/scalp was the EA default.  It was a test skin that was not complete. 

1 hour ago, Non-sequitur said:

the Face and/or scalp image was not added to the skin

Sadly I have a few hairs which for unknown reasons has the skin tone altered. Usually with a bit of shine and lighter tone than the skin texture selected. Equipping one of these hairs results in a face that is too different from the body - I guess I should say the total head down just below the jawline, while the rest of the neck to the neck seam appears normal.

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder what the creator was thinking - while the proliferation of shared mods could have something to do with it as well: Meaning - that hair might have originally had some instructions for it to be used with a specific skin texture, and THAT information was 'lost/left out' on subsequent uploads. I never underestimate the amount of 'stupid' the internet is subject to.

On 12/13/2020 at 1:56 PM, Non-sequitur said:

a minor adjustment to the standard EA sliders for proportionality.

It simply does not work as you say. I don't know how better to explain other than there is a reason why EA does not use the adult meshes for teens. Body geometry is different, thus, 2 completely different meshes. In your photo, you show the issue, yet deny it. Now, if a person wants to have wide, squatty teens, then okay.

Yes - LadySmoks, they are two separate meshes.

The teen female body is more "boy" like with the contours at the breasts and waist different than the Adult body.

The Adult and Young Adult Female body ARE identical.  They are actually the same.

The discussion was converting an adult body to a teen body or using an adult body as a teen.

The reason for the difference in the teen body is to compensate for the Squeeze and to be less with endowments.  The mesh still matches the adult at every key location. 

As far as the Physics go... the teen body is the exact height, the seams Aline with the adult, there are even ( I believe) the same number of vertices and arranged at the same position and locations as the adult body.  Just make sure you do not reset the Bones of the adult conversion to the Teens. 

Yes, it will distort the body -= that is the game - not the mesh, by compressing it.  And, yes... a minor adjustment to the EA sliders work fine for taking the squatness of the converted body.  I actually showed that it can be done - I did it and repeated the process getting the same results. I showed you the result while In-Game... using a highly augmented Adult Cartoon body outfit and converting it to a standard EA teen. What more do you want?

Then again - who would want all the females in town to look the same physically - once they hit puberty... 

It can be done. There is a distortion that can be compensated for - so yes, it does work. 

I have not tried this method using only a top or bottom - only with full outfits. Using only 1/2 the adult body may pose other problems so this may only work for full body replacement. 

You state Laydsmoks that I show the issue yet deny it...  what are you talking about?

I pointed out everything. The tone difference in skin ( a skin problem - not mesh).

I mentioned the squeeze and distortions and still the seams aliened at neck and feet. You should have seen it before using EA sliders to take the stockiness out of the teen. She was an 18 YO bodybuilder more like a dwarf body.  So, there are some problems converting this way.

If you remember, I started out in earlier threads talking about the standard way.

You do remember that I explained this method as "Down and Dirty" But, it is a quick way.

On 12/15/2020 at 12:24 PM, Non-sequitur said:

Yes, it will distort the body

My point, that's all. As I said, if squatty teens and playing with sliders to adjust it is okay, just use Master Controller and set CAS so teens can wear adult clothes. Even quicker than renaming meshes in s3pe, or other methods. Personally, I tried that a long time ago, and to me, it simply didn't look right. 

It all boils down to where the games slider zero points, and how slide ratios are set in the first place. The mid-point on the visible slider might be the same but their internal values and ratios are different. They are different for teens.

There are some difference I suspect, in elder Armators with an added upper back in the body.

So, can assume there are different ratios set for individual Armators within the framework. The body frame is "boned" to the armators. 

Mechanically - teen, young adult and adult females are interchangeable. 

What the game does with them - is another matter. 

Clothing designed on the teen frame hangs different with materials physics due to how the body is contoured. So, how it lays on the body has something to do with the compression appearance as well. There are many reasons but, the bottom line, do you like it... ? Is it workable for You?

Another thing is, do you want every teen in town becoming over-sized body-building Dwarfs that need slider work, or only one of a kind?

Finding a really good teen skin helps - lol.