Not loading after using LOOT (skee64.dll disabled)

Greetings, I had been trying to work out why Skyrim SE seemed to randomly CTD, and so I attempted to use LOOT to order my plugins better.

But after using it, Skyrim now 'hangs' on the loading screen when I open the game up.

The thing is, Vortex hadn't been showing any incompatibility issues until I've only recently updated the program. So now it's telling me that "one or more script extender plugins failed to load". This is what it says:

plugin D:\Program Files HDD\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SKSE\Plugins\\skee64.dll (00000001 skee 00000001) disabled, fatal error occurred while loading plugin (handle 8)

This is the only error message I can see on here.

I can give you my skse64 log if need be.

So coming back to LOOT again: when I look at the load order LOOT has changed, it doesn't look right. Just one example, is Lanterns of Skyrim SE supposed to go before Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch?

Ps. FYI, I have 147 mods enabled, but no apparent issues other than the one I mentioned.

On 10/6/2020 at 8:12 PM, Just Don't said:

skee64.dll is from Racemenu. So make sure you have a RM version compatible with the SKSE64 you have.

How to I find out if it's compatible or not?

I tried disabling RaceMenu temporarily to see if it made any difference, but no luck.

Ps. When I say 'hangs when loading the game up', I don't just mean when I load up a saved game, but Skyrim SE itself.

Read the description or the info in the FILES tab, it mentions the compatible versions.

image.png.20d2ea413c215009ac8bfe0317c64959.png

Now, that's the latest RM version and it says it requires SKSE 2.0.17 or greater. If you're not using SKSE 2.0.19 and have 2.0.17 instead, you might want to use Racemenu 0.4.12 (it's in the old files).

The weird part here is that using LOOT wouldn't make any difference here. If your mod manager is reporting an incompatible dll that has nothing to do with your loadorder. So check which SKSE version you have and which RM version you're using and adjust accordingly. All the info you need is in the mod page. 

It's something in your side (probably an incomplete install or having old files from prev versions in there). I'm using SKSE 2.0.19 + Racemenu 0.4.16 without any trouble.

If you can't make it work you could try reverting to SKSE 2.0.17 and Racemenu 0.4.12, but verify all your other SKSE plugins (basically any mod with a .dll) in case these work only with SKSE 2.0.19 (in which case you'll also need to revert back to the previous versions of these mods so you have all your mods compatible with SKSE 2.0.17). 

And again, I'm not sure how running LOOT would make this error appear. An incompatible .dll is detected when you attempt to launch the game and doesn't have anything to do with sorting your loadorder. And make sure your mod manager (or the skse64.log) isn't reporting other dll files as incompatible/failing to load (this applies in both cases, if you stay with SKSE 2.0.19 or if you decide to go back to 2.0.17).

Now that's strange!!

I've just created a new profile with NO mods on whatsoever, and it's still showing up that same error message in Vortex!

*edit 1* Well at least the game still works :/ - not that I want this to be the option (this is obviously a last resort), especially not after clocking up 39 hours on it!

If you use LOOT with Vortex then you need to turn off Vortex's autosort otherwise the autosort will trump any changes changes made by LOOT.

Are you sure the error message comes from Vortex? I run LE if that matters but I never launch Skyrim from Vortex. I always use the SKSE launcher so I've never seen Vortex throw up an error message on launching.

18 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

If you use LOOT with Vortex then you need to turn off Vortex's autosort otherwise the autosort will trump any changes changes made by LOOT.

Are you sure the error message comes from Vortex? I run LE if that matters but I never launch Skyrim from Vortex. I always use the SKSE launcher so I've never seen Vortex throw up an error message on launching.

I've turned Vortex's autosort off and ran LOOT, but it didn't need to make any changes to the sorting order.

What's LE? It's only Vortex that's showing the message as far as I can see.

Ps. So when I said "at least the game works with no mods on", I hadn't watched the 'intro' sequence at the time (ie. being a prisoner on the horse and cart).

This second time, I watched more of it, but only had Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch and FNIS (which I couldn't disable, but then did and didn't make any difference) .Other than not being in the position I should be in during that time, when I watched it a bt longer, the gates were still closed and the horse was trying to go through them but couldn't!

So to work out what was going on, I installed Alternate Start - Start another life. So when I played it then, the characters (nor myself) didn't have any animations to them, they were all static - even when I move around the area.

ScreenShot24.jpg

25 minutes ago, Growler8472 said:

What's LE?

Legendary Edition.

26 minutes ago, Growler8472 said:

I've turned Vortex's autosort off and ran LOOT, but it didn't need to make any changes to the sorting order.

I mentioned that as a sort of FYI. It has nothing to do with your problem as such.

27 minutes ago, Growler8472 said:

It's only Vortex that's showing the message as far as I can see.

Can you get a screenshot of this message?

Your screenshot is showing the classic T-pose caused by not having run FNIS.

Running FNIS is not enough, you must verify there are no warnings. If there is a warning, or several warnings, you must fix them.

The date in that skse64.log is old (like a month old? or ~4 months old? I get confused with the day/month/year date scheme as it changes if it's US/out of US). Anyways, old. That log should be generated each time you launch the game. If the actual mod file (specifically the dll) is incompatible your game will crash. So if your game is not crashing (you have the proper dll for your SKSE version) and Vortex still reports the issue, it seems like Vortex is stuck with an old log from where you had this issue.

No idea if it's possible at all or how to fix it as I don't use Vortex. But your in game T-pose should be easy to fix, just run FNIS again and read the text, find any error or warning line and address it instead of ignoring it.

52 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

Running FNIS is not enough, you must verify there are no warnings. If there is a warning, or several warnings, you must fix them.

The date in that skse64.log is old (like a month old? or ~4 months old? I get confused with the day/month/year date scheme as it changes if it's US/out of US). Anyways, old. That log should be generated each time you launch the game. If the actual mod file (specifically the dll) is incompatible your game will crash. So if your game is not crashing (you have the proper dll for your SKSE version) and Vortex still reports the issue, it seems like Vortex is stuck with an old log from where you had this issue.

No idea if it's possible at all or how to fix it as I don't use Vortex. But your in game T-pose should be easy to fix, just run FNIS again and read the text, find any error or warning line and address it instead of ignoring it.

The date is old because my reasoning is that dismissing the message isn't going to make it go away, and I wanted to keep it so I know that there's a problem (and what the problem is) that needs to be sorted.

Anyway, having a read through the FNIS text, is looks like it's a bad installation - but I don't know how to fix it. I should have shown you this from the beginning, so I apologize.

FNIS.jpg

The date is old because my reasoning is that dismissing the message isn't going to make it go away, and I wanted to keep it so I know that there's a problem (and what the problem is) that needs to be sorted.

I don't think it works like that. Vortex should take the most recent log to report these kind of issues. I don't see how it's good design if users can choose to keep previous/obsolete reports.

Anyway, having a read through the FNIS text, is looks like it's a bad installation - but I don't know how to fix it. I should have shown you this from the beginning, so I apologize.

The install path you have is

...\Skyrim Special Edition\FNIS Behavior SE 7.6\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\...

The FNIS Behavior SE 7.6 folder shouldn't be there. It interferes with the proper file path. It should be ...\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\tools...

Fix that, make sure the FNIS executable in Vortex is pointing to the fixed location and run it again.

On 10/18/2020 at 5:29 PM, Just Don't said:

I don't think it works like that. Vortex should take the most recent log to report these kind of issues. I don't see how it's good design if users can choose to keep previous/obsolete reports.

The install path you have is

...\Skyrim Special Edition\FNIS Behavior SE 7.6\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\...

The FNIS Behavior SE 7.6 folder shouldn't be there. It interferes with the proper file path. It should be ...\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\tools...

Fix that, make sure the FNIS executable in Vortex is pointing to the fixed location and run it again.

Ahaa, so does FNIS need to be in the same folder as where SkyrimSE is installed (ie. D:\Program Files HDD\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition) - ie. copy and paste all the contents of 'Data' from my 0-For games folder into the said path? At the moment, FNIS is in a separate location to the main game's install path.

I've removed the path in bold (plus edited/updated the path in Vortex) and ran it again where it is = no change.

Also, does having different profiles for SkyrimSE affect this at all?

FNIS 2.jpg

When I dismissed the error then ran it again, it came back with the same date.

1 hour ago, Growler8472 said:

Ahaa, so does FNIS need to be in the same folder as where SkyrimSE is installed (ie. D:\Program Files HDD\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition) - ie. copy and paste all the contents of 'Data' from my 0-For games folder into the said path? At the moment, FNIS is in a separate location to the main game's install path.

Why a separate location? FNIS needs to be installed as any other mod within the game folder (unless Vortex needs extra steps and allows installs in different locations). You had that additional folder in between the default file path because that's how FNIS comes zipped, fixing that should allow you to use it as intended. Which BTW, did you know there are videos about how to install and setup FNIS? Look for one, follow it and you should be good to go. No need to guess what to do when there are already instructions written and showed in video about how to do it.

1 hour ago, Growler8472 said:

When I dismissed the error then ran it again, it came back with the same date.

Smells like Vortex got stuck with that log. No idea how that's possible or how to solve it.

If you go to your Documents\My games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE and check the skse64.log what do you see? check the date of the file and its content to see if the plugins are loading fine in there.

Vortex puts FNIS in the place it should go - Data\Tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users

As for the SKSE error message, the only thing I can think of is that the original message was on that date and all subsequent messages will be appended to the end of it.

Leaving an error message for that long is the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time.

The animations/FNIS works properly now that it's in the correct place (thanks a lot) - except I can only get it to work on my 'from scratch' profile. The only problem now it, SkyUI doesn't seem to work, and it won't load unless I have it disabled.

Also, SkyrimSE loads to the menu on my 39 hour profile, but when I load a game it doesn't seem to recognise SKSE - even though it's installed (2.0.19). Here are the 2 meesages that come up:

The 2nd one is when I click 'no'.

Thanks so much for all your help so far! I truly appreciate it :)

Ps. The error message on Vortex still hasn't gone away on any of the profiles I've got.

SkyrimSE 2020-10-22 22-54-17.jpg

SkyrimSE 2020-10-22 22-54-43.jpg

• 1st error: those were mods enabled at the time of making the save you're trying to load, now these mods are not installed/enabled (or at least they're not being detected by your game). Did you remove these mods intentionally? If not, are you sure these mods are enabled in Vortex/appear in your loadorder?
  • 2nd error: Racemenu isn't detecting your SKSE install. Are you sure your SKSE install was completed properly? Are you launching the game using the SKSE loader?

I don't want to sound rude here, but have you consider nuking your entire Vortex/game install and starting from scratch, going slowly and verifying you get things properly setup before starting to play for real? It surely would be a learning experience with better forecast than your current situation. Because each time you solve an issue you discover another thing malfunctioning because you missed install instructions or didn't knew some very relevant detail about the mods you intend to use.

On 10/23/2020 at 1:45 AM, Just Don't said:
  • 1st error: those were mods enabled at the time of making the save you're trying to load, now these mods are not installed/enabled (or at least they're not being detected by your game). Did you remove these mods intentionally? If not, are you sure these mods are enabled in Vortex/appear in your loadorder?

I've just checked, it's no wonder I had the 1st error! For some reason, most of my plugins had been disabled (I didn't do it personally that I know of). Now that I re-enabled them all, I'm back to square 1 again - ie. stuck at the loading screen forever.

2nd error: Racemenu isn't detecting your SKSE install. Are you sure your SKSE install was completed properly? Are you launching the game using the SKSE loader?

It's there in Vortex, and the files are hopefully where they should be now. But trying to load SkyrimSE from the SKSE Loader itself (or clicking on SKSE from/using Vortex) always does a CTD (I usually load the game from Vortex itself).

I don't want to sound rude here, but have you consider nuking your entire Vortex/game install and starting from scratch, going slowly and verifying you get things properly setup before starting to play for real? It surely would be a learning experience with better forecast than your current situation. Because each time you solve an issue you discover another thing malfunctioning because you missed install instructions or didn't knew some very relevant detail about the mods you intend to use.

If I did that, I'd lose my 39-hour progress I made and would never be able to get it back to exactly how it was as the saved game file requires it to work.

Also, with the original Skyrim, I got to 392.4 hours before I messed up the game with so many mods, and that was using Nexus Mod Manager (before Vortex existed) - which is far more of a pain than Vortex is when trying to work out what the problem is.

Currently, I've started from the beginning again with a 'botched'-but-"working" SkyUI (I just can't play/enjoy it without it), and as many mods to improve the game without it messing with the SKSE as possible.

Vortex SKSE 0.jpg