I've been combing the web to try to get this working but not managed to find a solution.

Has anyone figured out a way to get GIMP working with BC7 compressed files ?

I ended up managing to find a program that would decompress BC7 files and am currently just using the textures uncompressed.

Hoping the great minds here have a better solution :)

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Angahran said:

I've been combing the web to try to get this working but not managed to find a solution.

Has anyone figured out a way to get GIMP working with BC7 compressed files ?

I ended up managing to find a program that would decompress BC7 files and am currently just using the textures uncompressed.

Hoping the great minds here have a better solution :)

Thanks.

Yeah, there was a workaround for BC7 files to be able to be opened with Texconv and a python script. This link below should help you out:
https://gist.github.com/WillyMartin/1cbe66bac6a793b9efe11ecee61818f9

8 hours ago, Kakabishan said:

Yeah, there was a workaround for BC7 files to be able to be opened with Texconv and a python script. This link below should help you out:
https://gist.github.com/WillyMartin/1cbe66bac6a793b9efe11ecee61818f9

Tried that, get "Unsupported DXGI format (98)" for a lot of files.

Was trying to apply C5Kev's scaled overlay to Daemonic's skin textures.

Some files would open others gave that error.

So, after attempting to find a fix just gave up and went a different direction and found something to uncompress BC7 files.

4 hours ago, anjenthedog said:

Not an answer to the explicit question, but fyi Paint dot Net handles these files easily. (IMO) It's a handy tool to have on your desktop.

It's probably good, but having to buy something to just use it once or twice is a bit much even if it's only like $7.

57 minutes ago, Angahran said:

It's probably good, but having to buy something to just use it once or twice is a bit much even if it's only like $7.

Huh ???? Afaik it's still as free as it was when I began downloading it over 20 years ago. Which, to be perfectly clear, is FREE.

https://www.getpaint.net/index.html

ps> I've  donated to them in the past, (actually quite a bit more than $7... I've been using Paint dot net since it first came out in the way way back and I like the guys and the effort and all the cool addon tools you can also download for free and install to add capability)  but I've never been forced to pay anything at all.  It is "donationware" ie, you can choose to donate if you want, but you don't have to buy anything.

The version on my new desktop is stock (no additional editing tool addons) and it handles editing skyrim textures without any special effort

5 hours ago, Angahran said:

Tried that, get "Unsupported DXGI format (98)" for a lot of files.

Was trying to apply C5Kev's scaled overlay to Daemonic's skin textures.

Some files would open others gave that error.

So, after attempting to find a fix just gave up and went a different direction and found something to uncompress BC7 files.

I tried the same exact files, and it works for me. You sure you set it up properly? If you need help, let me know

On 9/2/2020 at 5:05 PM, anjenthedog said:

Huh ???? Afaik it's still as free as it was when I began downloading it over 20 years ago. Which, to be perfectly clear, is FREE.

https://www.getpaint.net/index.html

ps> I've  donated to them in the past, (actually quite a bit more than $7... I've been using Paint dot net since it first came out in the way way back and I like the guys and the effort and all the cool addon tools you can also download for free and install to add capability)  but I've never been forced to pay anything at all.  It is "donationware" ie, you can choose to donate if you want, but you don't have to buy anything.

The version on my new desktop is stock (no additional editing tool addons) and it handles editing skyrim textures without any special effort

Maybe I got redirected somewhere odd ?
When I was looking for paint.net I ended up on the microsoft store and it was saying it was $7 to download.

3 hours ago, Angahran said:

Maybe I got redirected somewhere odd ?
When I was looking for paint.net I ended up on the microsoft store and it was saying it was $7 to download.

no no...that's probably some updated MS Paint thing (At a guess). I hope you used the link I provided. It really is a useful tool to have, once you get used to using it. (IMO)

Paint.Net is based on MS Paint but superceded its limitations 20+ years ago and is no longer associated with Microsoft. It's more like a poor man's Photoshop. Personally speaking, I find it as essential as Notepad++.

PS> FTR, opening and saving these types of files is as simple as using "open file" and "save file" or "save as" The format will be preselected when choosing to edit a BC file and all you have to do when saving is confirming the type.

regards

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 4:27 PM, Kakabishan said:

Its possible, try using the installer instead and set up the texconv & python script

I installed a clean 2.10 GIMP install and still can't get this to work.

This is what I have in the .py file (it looks weird with the slashes going the wrong way but that's what the instructions say to do)

BINARY="""C:/Program Files/GIMP 2/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/texconv.exe"""

And I have the following files in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

• texconv.exe
  • file-dds-texconv.py
  • dds.exe

file-dds-texconv.py

On 9/30/2020 at 7:18 AM, Angahran said:

I installed a clean 2.10 GIMP install and still can't get this to work.

This is what I have in the .py file (it looks weird with the slashes going the wrong way but that's what the instructions say to do)

BINARY="""C:/Program Files/GIMP 2/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/texconv.exe"""

And I have the following files in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

• texconv.exe
  • file-dds-texconv.py
  • dds.exe

file-dds-texconv.py 3.44 kB · 0 downloads

Sorry for the late reply,
For the BINARY part, try this """C:/Program Files/GIMP 2/bin/texconv.exe"""
then move TEXCONV to the above folder location and delete dds.exe and give it a go

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2020 at 3:20 PM, Kakabishan said:

Sorry for the late reply,
For the BINARY part, try this """C:/Program Files/GIMP 2/bin/texconv.exe"""
then move TEXCONV to the above folder location and delete dds.exe and give it a go

OMG! Thank you for this! I've been trying to put texconv.exe in all kinds of places to get this to work, "bin"ary should have been more obvious to me I guess. I tried doing this a year ago and never got it to work, and spent the last hour screwing with it. I wonder how many people have been as clueless as I have. "bin" so damn obvious haha.

• 10 months later...