gaming machine died and I feel like I lost a leg *sobs*

So there I was happily browsing the forums, computer pretty much idling. Suddenly out of the blue the computer switches off. After the initial shock wore off I tested the power cable to see if it was a fuse, it was fine. I then set about swapping to my old power supply as this seemed the next most likely problem. Comp still didn't switch on, I also noticed that the leds on the motherboard weren't lighting up when the psu was powered up. 

So just to be sure I put the suspect psu into my media pc and it worked fine, I then swapped the graphics card, took out my m2 drive and swapped out the ram. Still nothng. So I'm now 90% certain that my motherboard is goosed.

The motherboard is an Astek z97 extreme with an i7 4th gen cpu so I bet it will be a nightmare to find a new/working replacement.

Any suggestions before I remove my motherboard and hack it to pieces with an axe after getting hideously drunk?!!

Sadly it does sound like your MoBo to me, when this sort of thing happens you always hope it's your psu. The only other thing I would try would be removing the CMOS battery. Turn it off and on again, so to speak. I doubt this will make any difference tho, since the board seems to be dead.

Worse news, decent (used) 1150 socket boards don't seem to have fallen much in price considering their age. I expect new ones, if you can find them, will still sell for their original RRP.

:(

29 minutes ago, Yinkle said:

So there I was happily browsing the forums, computer pretty much idling. Suddenly out of the blue the computer switches off. After the initial shock wore off I tested the power cable to see if it was a fuse, it was fine. I then set about swapping to my old power supply as this seemed the next most likely problem. Comp still didn't switch on, I also noticed that the leds on the motherboard weren't lighting up when the psu was powered up. 

So just to be sure I put the suspect psu into my media pc and it worked fine, I then swapped the graphics card, took out my m2 drive and swapped out the ram. Still nothng. So I'm now 90% certain that my motherboard is goosed.

The motherboard is an Astek z97 extreme with an i7 4th gen cpu so I bet it will be a nightmare to find a new/working replacement.

Any suggestions before I remove my motherboard and hack it to pieces with an axe after getting hideously drunk?!!

Just one word: AMD...

10 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

Sadly it does sound like your MoBo to me, when this sort of thing happens you always hope it's your psu. The only other thing I would try would be removing the CMOS battery. Turn it off and on again, so to speak. I doubt this will make any difference tho, since the board seems to be dead.

Worse news, decent (used) 1150 socket boards don't seem to have fallen much in price considering their age. I expect new ones, if you can find them, will still sell for their original RRP.

:(

Yup I tried  the battery thing but no joy and as you say, no power to the motherboard with a working psu can't really point to much else.

6 minutes ago, myhouseatl said:

Just one word: AMD...

thanks I feel much better now.

38 minutes ago, Yinkle said:

thanks I feel much better now.

Yep, I suspect you have the money laying around to buy, basically, whole new gaming rig. CPU, MoBo and Memory. Which is why you are, like me, running on a 7yr old system.

Also, going by what 27X said, it sounds like you'd do better to just replace the board and carry on with that system and hold off any possible upgrade until next year.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:49 PM, Mez558 said:

Yep, I suspect you have the money laying around to buy, basically, whole new gaming rig. CPU, MoBo and Memory. Which is why you are, like me, running on a 7yr old system.

Also, going by what 27X said, it sounds like you'd do better to just replace the board and carry on with that system and hold off any possible upgrade until next year.

There's a company in Holland selling the exact same model that died "manufacturer refurbished" for pretty much the same price I paid for it brand new 5 years ago! Excuse my French but what a fucking scam to rip off people wanting to increase the longevity of their system. :/ It does seem to be the trend though these days, taking advantage of the speed with which manufacturers make items obsolete.

Anyway, I've been looking into alternatives and I'm not sure what to do really. The Ryzen 7 3700x seems like a decent and reasonably priced upgrade along with a suitable mobo + ddr4 ram but I wonder if I'd be wiser to just bite the bullet and get one of these "refurbished" boards and wait?

To this guy's credit he does offer a 90 day warranty which is better than I'd have expected.

Even sidegrading right now is p much the worst decision ever. If you can get the board for CHEEEP, then hey coasting is boasting, but there's literally a paradigm shift coming in q4 for both companies, and AMD is gonna using be Intel as a fleshlight for about a year, maybe more because Intel 10 and 8 nm yields are hot melty garbage, and will be until Alder lake is a thing, and not even Intel knows when Alder lake will be a thing.

In even more bizarro world news, AMD may have the rasterization crown as well. There's no way in hell they can hit nvidia gains in compute (45%) and raytracing (300%, no that is not an exaggeration), but the latest engineering samples may actually beat nvidia's 102-40 SKU in rasterization by about 12%, and not just some games, but period, at all, so unless nvidia has some secret silicon they've let no one but trace engineers see, there's going to be a literal price war at the end of the year in GPUs.

CPUs not so much cause Intel done goofed, but basically 1200-1500 smackers will get you a system that literally shits over what is right now bleeding edge.

Your best bet is find a replacement and coast, because q4/q1 is going to have some batshit hardware coming out, and this is across any price level, not just ~enthoooossssiesst~ SKUs.

7 hours ago, 27X said:

Even sidegrading right now is p much the worst decision ever. If you can get the board for CHEEEP, then hey coasting is boasting, but there's literally a paradigm shift coming in q4 for both companies, and AMD is gonna using be Intel as a fleshlight for about a year, maybe more because Intel 10 and 8 nm yields are hot melty garbage, and will be until Alder lake is a thing, and not even Intel knows when Alder lake will be a thing.

In even more bizarro world news, AMD may have the rasterization crown as well. There's no way in hell they can hit nvidia gains in compute (45%) and raytracing (300%, no that is not an exaggeration), but the latest engineering samples may actually beat nvidia's 102-40 SKU in rasterization by about 12%, and not just some games, but period, at all, so unless nvidia has some secret silicon they've let no one but trace engineers see, there's going to be a literal price war at the end of the year in GPUs.

CPUs not so much cause Intel done goofed, but basically 1200-1500 smackers will get you a system that literally shits over what is right now bleeding edge.

Your best bet is find a replacement and coast, because q4/q1 is going to have some batshit hardware coming out, and this is across any price level, not just ~enthoooossssiesst~ SKUs.

Thanks, this looks like sound advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a "manufacurer refurbished" motherboard in the post today and my machine is working again. Fingers crossed it doesn't die again too soon! Damn thing came with a dud cmos battery though which is shocking given that the price was almost as much as a new board. At least everything seems to work fine and it seems stable, I ran prime95 for a while and nothing untoward happened, temps seem fine too.

I was reading that DDR5 platforms should be hitting the shelves at some point next year so it would probably make sense not to upgrade until they become the norm.