[EU4] The Scourge - A TF mod

Well, this is a weird one.

This is The Scourge, a mod that adds a new religion to EU4 that functions as a plague, transforming its followers into strange new forms. Right now, I've got the framework in with the religion popping in at the start of the game and being fairly hard to dislodge until later. There's also a selection of 'deities' to choose to follow, which are the transformations you subject your people to. These give you powerful bonuses that last until the death of your ruler.

In the future, I plan on adding more events hopefully locked behind each transformation, along with more artwork changes and centers of reformation. I hope you enjoy, and feel free to leave suggestions!

Check out this strawpoll and vote on what kind of art you want to see in the mod for events

https://www.strawpoll.me/35205787

Installation

Spoiler

You'll need a program like 7zip to extract the archive, once you've opened the archive there'll be a zip and a mod file. 

Drag the mod file and folder into C:\Users\<Your user>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\mod

Now start the launcher, click on "mods", click on "manage mods", then click on "add more mods" in the bottom right corner. 

Select the local mod you wish to add, in this case the scourge, and add it to the playset. It should be enabled and set to go at this point, enjoy!

52 minutes ago, thebrews said:

Installation instructions? I keep getting an invalid path error. I've fiddled around with the path in the .mod file as well and can't get the launcher to pick it up.

The launcher had changed some stuff about the mod path automatically and I hadn't noticed, I've uploaded a fixed version that should work now.

Just extract the .mod and thescourge.zip files into C:\Users\ (whatever your username is on your computer) \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\mod and it should work. Make sure you delete the .mod and folder that are already in there first, then run the launcher so it forgets the mod, then add the fixed version. Thanks for bringing the bug to light, and let me know if you run into any more issues

It's just been a few days and already we have a competitor for waifuism. The mods are legitimately very similar, were you aware?

Installation of mods from outside of Steam in general is very difficult now. I know of two methods if doing the normal way doesn't work. There's a paradox mod manager, you can find it by just googling that phrase. It can detect and enable mods that the launcher can't. Can be helpful. The other method is to use the launcher to create a new mod. You'll make a folder and you'll have to name it something and it doesn't really matter, just make one and then fill the contents of it with the mod you got from elsewhere. That can force the launcher to acknowledge the mod too. The launcher is still just, not good.

1 hour ago, whateverdontcare said:

It's just been a few days and already we have a competitor for waifuism. The mods are legitimately very similar, were you aware?

Installation of mods from outside of Steam in general is very difficult now. I know of two methods if doing the normal way doesn't work. There's a paradox mod manager, you can find it by just googling that phrase. It can detect and enable mods that the launcher can't. Can be helpful. The other method is to use the launcher to create a new mod. You'll make a folder and you'll have to name it something and it doesn't really matter, just make one and then fill the contents of it with the mod you got from elsewhere. That can force the launcher to acknowledge the mod too. The launcher is still just, not good.

I am aware, their mod's use of personal deities is what gave me the idea. In the future, I plan on differentiating my mod a bit more using multiple short-range centers of reformation but I want to knock out some events for the different tf's first.

Gutting a working mod  moving the one you want in usually works best for me. But yeah, the new launcher is trash.

14 minutes ago, rallyelgen said:

Would you please mark somewhere in the title that this is a EU4 mod, as it is easy to mistake this for a CKII mod. add a [EU4] for example?

Just wanted to ask.

Is it getting cut off in the preview or something? Because the last word in the title is EU4

3 hours ago, Ouroboros007 said:

Is it getting cut off in the preview or something? Because the last word in the title is EU4

Usually most mods have it in the beginning as well (look how most other titles is written).

If you think about it, isn't it easier to know from the first work that your are reading what game it is for?

I don't know if it's just me, but on first glance, when you first read it, it looks like its some kind of Total Conversion or an modification of a Total Conversion.

Well my personal thought is that if you're gonna leave it like that, at least structure the first post a bit better for easier reading.

see

for an example.

1 hour ago, skinkfem said:

Does this mod change the advisors after you've been tf'd?

I might be able to make that work, that would be 22 advisor types x 15 tf's for 330 portraits to change. Which is possible, but would take a lot of time I'd rather use to expand the events right now.

Goodbye achievement runs, I can never play without this mod ever again.

I did a bit of a trial run (as Genoa, currently around 1700), and I have some observations:

-Smaller nations converted quite rapidly, while the majors continue to hold out, but this makes sense considering the current mechanics. Once it hit the HRE it spread like wildfire. 

-A jihad for Medina was called when the Mamlukes got scourged (lol)

-I wasn't able to convert until it reached me in Circassia (via my Crimean provinces, which the Ottomans miraculously have not taken yet)

-Speaking of the Ottomans, they are massive as they usually are, but they have also went to war many times with the 'counterwaifuinquisition' casus belli against scourged minors in the Caucasus. 

-I did a few restarts, and the Livonian Order was one of the toggleable scourge vanguard nations every time, which usually ended poorly for them.

-The league war was one by the Protestants, and the empire was handed to Brunswick, the only protestant monarchy. I ended up at war with them at one point, and disbanded the HRE because I could (there were no suitable electors...everyone was too busy banging each other, I guess)

-The Pope was scourged

-The Treaty of Tordesillas remained a thing, but scourged England got claims on Colombia. The rest of the beneficiaries of the treaty were still Catholic, save for maybe the Isles

All in all, I'm having a lot of fun so far with Early Modern Era Monster Girl Simulator. It's been great.

15 hours ago, Kaleidoscope57 said:

Goodbye achievement runs, I can never play without this mod ever again.

I did a bit of a trial run (as Genoa, currently around 1700), and I have some observations:

-Smaller nations converted quite rapidly, while the majors continue to hold out, but this makes sense considering the current mechanics. Once it hit the HRE it spread like wildfire. 

-A jihad for Medina was called when the Mamlukes got scourged (lol)

-I wasn't able to convert until it reached me in Circassia (via my Crimean provinces, which the Ottomans miraculously have not taken yet)

-Speaking of the Ottomans, they are massive as they usually are, but they have also went to war many times with the 'counterwaifuinquisition' casus belli against scourged minors in the Caucasus. 

-I did a few restarts, and the Livonian Order was one of the toggleable scourge vanguard nations every time, which usually ended poorly for them.

-The league war was one by the Protestants, and the empire was handed to Brunswick, the only protestant monarchy. I ended up at war with them at one point, and disbanded the HRE because I could (there were no suitable electors...everyone was too busy banging each other, I guess)

-The Pope was scourged

-The Treaty of Tordesillas remained a thing, but scourged England got claims on Colombia. The rest of the beneficiaries of the treaty were still Catholic, save for maybe the Isles

All in all, I'm having a lot of fun so far with Early Modern Era Monster Girl Simulator. It's been great.

-I've been playing some test games as well and had Switzerland convert most of central Europe really fast. Might need to bar the scourge from the HRE at game start so the AI can actually pass their reforms. India and Japan would make good spawn zones too, so maybe a decision to convert a few provinces in one of those three locations would be helpful to making sure the scourge gets off the ground. I've had it die out pretty fast a couple times

-The minors might not be able to convert their provinces away from the scourge and end up flipping again right after the war? I've never noticed the AI getting bogged down in endless wars with the CB though, so it might be okay if it's just a "once-every-couple-of-games" things. Once I make the scourge more infectious, I'll see if it really borks the AI and fix it accordingly

-Livonian order never does well anyway, getting carved up between Denmark, Sweden, Muscovy and Pol-Lithuania. They might benefit from the bonuses honestly, but the AI might need to get gifting a lump sum so they can afford to convert provinces.

-I wish I could make an endgame league war between the unconverted and the scourge, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Would be cool though

-Maybe they were expelling catholics so the colonial nation was catholic? From reading the wiki, that might still trigger the treaty even if England was scourged

Thanks for the feedback btw, I'm still working so I only have so much time to playtest and the new perspective is always helpful!

9 hours ago, Ouroboros007 said:

-I've been playing some test games as well and had Switzerland convert most of central Europe really fast. Might need to bar the scourge from the HRE at game start so the AI can actually pass their reforms. India and Japan would make good spawn zones too, so maybe a decision to convert a few provinces in one of those three locations would be helpful to making sure the scourge gets off the ground. I've had it die out pretty fast a couple times

-The minors might not be able to convert their provinces away from the scourge and end up flipping again right after the war? I've never noticed the AI getting bogged down in endless wars with the CB though, so it might be okay if it's just a "once-every-couple-of-games" things. Once I make the scourge more infectious, I'll see if it really borks the AI and fix it accordingly

-Livonian order never does well anyway, getting carved up between Denmark, Sweden, Muscovy and Pol-Lithuania. They might benefit from the bonuses honestly, but the AI might need to get gifting a lump sum so they can afford to convert provinces.

-I wish I could make an endgame league war between the unconverted and the scourge, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Would be cool though

-Maybe they were expelling catholics so the colonial nation was catholic? From reading the wiki, that might still trigger the treaty even if England was scourged

Thanks for the feedback btw, I'm still working so I only have so much time to playtest and the new perspective is always helpful!

No problem. With the Ottomans though it might just be confirmation bias due to the fact that as Genoa the game tags the Ottomans as one of the nations that you get notified about whenever they do anything at all. And "They cite counterwaifuinquisition as their Casus Belli" does kind of stand out, lol. The English colonies (Colombia and Thirteen Colonies/Eastern Seaboard) were definitely scourged when I looked at them, but they could have been Catholic when they formed, I'm not sure.

I also have some suggestions, but I am not a programmer so I can't say just how doable they'd be. For one thing though it'd be cool to see what "god" other scourged countries have picked, maybe similar to how Islamic schools/sects work (though that might require dlc, idk). And it might be interesting to have the scourge spread as the armies of the damned tromp across their enemies, ie. have there be a chance for a province to flip religions when a scourged army sieges it down. It'd probably be a tad bit overpowered (ok, very overpowered), but it could be a neat and organic way to show the "plague" spreading.

On 7/10/2020 at 10:04 PM, Kaleidoscope57 said:

No problem. With the Ottomans though it might just be confirmation bias due to the fact that as Genoa the game tags the Ottomans as one of the nations that you get notified about whenever they do anything at all. And "They cite counterwaifuinquisition as their Casus Belli" does kind of stand out, lol. The English colonies (Colombia and Thirteen Colonies/Eastern Seaboard) were definitely scourged when I looked at them, but they could have been Catholic when they formed, I'm not sure.

I also have some suggestions, but I am not a programmer so I can't say just how doable they'd be. For one thing though it'd be cool to see what "god" other scourged countries have picked, maybe similar to how Islamic schools/sects work (though that might require dlc, idk). And it might be interesting to have the scourge spread as the armies of the damned tromp across their enemies, ie. have there be a chance for a province to flip religions when a scourged army sieges it down. It'd probably be a tad bit overpowered (ok, very overpowered), but it could be a neat and organic way to show the "plague" spreading.

I noticed that the only way to see what tf other countries had picked was looking for their bonuses in the ledger, so I have been looking for a way to display the tf as a latent icon like coal or the muslim schools. Haven't had much luck though, and there's not much info online that I've been able to find at least. As for spreading the scourge, I think that would spread it way too fast. It converts small countries very quickly and gives them the bonuses, but if a scourged small country got called in against france or austria and got them below the threshold to convert by occupation, they'd either get torn apart and leave a power vacuum or become OP and convert everyone. I think at least, I might run a few games on observer to see the difference.

You could possibly just have a province modifier in their capital for the god they chose.  That would show up and be a chance for you to use the icons you have made already so it easy to see.

If you give your modifiers a religious component like local_religious_conversion_resistance the province modifier would also show up on the map when using the religion mapmode (never mind that doesn't work with that mapmode it works with trade related event modifiers though and the trade mapmode).

Making your religion based on how Islam works rather than Hinduism would allow you to have it cleanly on the religion mapmode as well as give you a lot more options since it has more fleshed out mechanics than Hinduism/personal deities but you could keep the Gods/Modifiers as schools.

On 7/12/2020 at 2:44 PM, La Mancha said:

You could possibly just have a province modifier in their capital for the god they chose.  That would show up and be a chance for you to use the icons you have made already so it easy to see.

If you give your modifiers a religious component like local_religious_conversion_resistance the province modifier would also show up on the map when using the religion mapmode (never mind that doesn't work with that mapmode it works with trade related event modifiers though and the trade mapmode).

Making your religion based on how Islam works rather than Hinduism would allow you to have it cleanly on the religion mapmode as well as give you a lot more options since it has more fleshed out mechanics than Hinduism/personal deities but you could keep the Gods/Modifiers as schools.

I will try to convert the religion to a reskinned islam, though I can give you no promises. I'm not an experienced modder by any means but I'll give it a try. I will probably add some province modifiers for the chosen deity, and possibly some events too, thanks for the idea.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:39 AM, Kaleidoscope57 said:

One thing I hadn't considered; would it be possible to allow PUs between scourged nations?

Yeah, it's just one line of code. I'll change it in the next update

If you run into any problems that are giving you trouble let me know or send me a message on discord, there's not a lot of EU4 modders around here but me or Doan might be able to help if you get stuck on something (if only because I constantly get stuck on something and it takes me forever to figure it out so maybe I can save you a similar headache).

On 7/18/2020 at 11:29 AM, La Mancha said:

If you run into any problems that are giving you trouble let me know or send me a message on discord, there's not a lot of EU4 modders around here but me or Doan might be able to help if you get stuck on something (if only because I constantly get stuck on something and it takes me forever to figure it out so maybe I can save you a similar headache).

Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know then. I'm only working on the mod while I'm playing eu4 and I don't play it religiously so there may be spans of time between updates. I do appreciate the offer though, finding info online has been pretty hit-or-miss

• 2 weeks later...

Spawned the Synthetics just for fun and they were scourged. It was 1720 or something like that, so I'm thinking they just replaced another Scourge nation. All of North America (they replaced a CN in Mexico) has been taken by horny robots, and I'm scared to go back to that game.

Also, could you make it so scourged nations can form religion locked tags? (i.e. Prussia having Protestant/Reformed as a requirement)

• 4 weeks later...

Super looking forward to the initial conversion events, CoR, and other fun event chains- Thoughts on having an event that spawns a new Culture in your capital, either matching your current deity- or just "Scourged"? It'd make changing the advisors easier and make the twinning focus more flavorful.

Also I never got any of the current flavor events? Are there triggers other than just having Twinning or Hucow as your god of choice?