But is there a reason AAF CTDs when a mod uses slot 59 (shield)? If this is some kind of known issue, I couldn't find it. I did look at the Wiki which leaves it off the slot list. But other than that I couldn't find a specific reason why.

Thanks for any clarification I can get. I don't want to report a non-bug.

Trykz

3 minutes ago, Trykz said:

But is there a reason AAF CTDs when a mod uses slot 59 (shield)? If this is some kind of known issue, I couldn't find it. I did look at the Wiki which leaves it off the slot list. But other than that I couldn't find a specific reason why.

Thanks for any clarification I can get. I don't want to report a non-bug.

Trykz

I did not know that, I should check my mods if it uses that slot

1 hour ago, Trykz said:

I replied in the other thread, but I just tested this out and slot 59 doesn't cause any problems on its own.

3 hours ago, EgoBallistic said:

I replied in the other thread, but I just tested this out and slot 59 doesn't cause any problems on its own.

Same here. And my script fragment equips and unequips the slot without any issue. It only happens when AAF hits it's gathering phase. I posted in more detail in the other thread.

Trykz

Turns out this is due to a game engine bug.

The armor causing the issue uses Slot 59 and has an Equip Type of OTHER.  This combination causes the engine to do some processing related to Attack Data on the actor that equips it.  Normally this is fine, but if the actor is disabled when the item gets equipped on them, the game will crash.  I was able to reproduce this both with AAF and with console commands.

When an animation involves the player, AAF places a disabled copy of the body double NPC at the player, copies any items the player is wearing onto the body double, and then enables the body double.  So the game CTDs when it copies this armor to the body double.

There's not really anything AAF can do to avoid it.  The fix is either to change the armor's Equip Type to NONE, or to change its slot number.  Only the combination of Slot 59 and Equip Type OTHER causes the CTD.

1 hour ago, EgoBallistic said:

Turns out this is due to a game engine bug.

The armor causing the issue uses Slot 59 and has an Equip Type of OTHER.  This combination causes the engine to do some processing related to Attack Data on the actor that equips it.  Normally this is fine, but if the actor is disabled when the item gets equipped on them, the game will crash.  I was able to reproduce this both with AAF and with console commands.

When an animation involves the player, AAF places a disabled copy of the body double NPC at the player, copies any items the player is wearing onto the body double, and then enables the body double.  So the game CTDs when it copies this armor to the body double.

There's not really anything AAF can do to avoid it.  The fix is either to change the armor's Equip Type to NONE, or to change its slot number.  Only the combination of Slot 59 and Equip Type OTHER causes the CTD.

Thank you so much @EgoBallistic for discovering this. I'll be sure to never replicate it in my mods. I asked for a specific reason this was happening. You delivered in spades.

Trykz