Want to upgrade/increase RAM

Starting to end up where 8GB of RAM isn't enough anymore. Want to have least 16GB but have a few questions. Can you add DDR4 RAM alongside DDR3 or does it have to be one or the other? I'm not even sure what RAM would be best since I have an older Motherboard. I was considering https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3000MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0134EW7G8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=RAM&qid=1589674705&s=pc&sr=1-1 but when I click on the 'make sure this fits' link, I have no system info to enter. When I go to System Information and go down to System Mode, all that's listed is 'To Be Entered by O. E. M.

1 hour ago, Rokabur said:

Starting to end up where 8GB of RAM isn't enough anymore. Want to have least 16GB but have a few questions. Can you add DDR4 RAM alongside DDR3 or does it have to be one or the other? I'm not even sure what RAM would be best since I have an older Motherboard. I was considering https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3000MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0134EW7G8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=RAM&qid=1589674705&s=pc&sr=1-1 but when I click on the 'make sure this fits' link, I have no system info to enter. When I go to System Information and go down to System Mode, all that's listed is 'To Be Entered by O. E. M.

8GB is long gone at this point. Even 16GB is not enough anymore. My windows running at idle with nothing open uses 35% of my 16GB. Im pretty sure at this point the new normal is 32GB

Also you cannot mix and match DDR3 and 4. Let alone different RAM sticks

Like someone already mentioned, you can't mix ddr3/4. In fact, it's always recommended that you buy/install sticks of ram in pairs- that's why they sell them that way. Otherwise, your computer ram will operate at the lowest speed of the modules installed in mixed pairs. The two things you're looking for are clock-speed and latency. The higher the clock-speed, the better. The lower the latency #, the faster your ram can access data. As far as brands go, I really haven't read much that tells me that one is better than another, but as a rule, I tend to stick with trusted names for reliability reasons. One of the most important things you need to do is make sure you are looking at ram that's compatible with your motherboard (like RitualClarity was saying). You don't want to get stuck with the wrong ram for your pc.

Is 16GB of ram enough? Most articles I've read have stated that is more than enough for most people. You can certainly get 32GBs if you want, but, it's kind of overkill.

Maybe this will help with getting your system info.

13 hours ago, Antrox said:

8GB is long gone at this point. Even 16GB is not enough anymore. My windows running at idle with nothing open uses 35% of my 16GB. Im pretty sure at this point the new normal is 32GB

Also you cannot mix and match DDR3 and 4. Let alone different RAM sticks

• 8gb is the new "normal" for users that have light use of a computer. Web, watch some movies etc. etc. This is the normal. (4gb is the normal for lower end Chromebooks), 8gb is the upper end)  Look around at your local store ... you will see that the base units are generally 8 gigs. This is because it can perform well for most people ... otherwise, if it wasn't there would be huge amounts of returns and costly refurbishing / clearance cost included.
  • 16gb is the new "mid-level" computer users. you can be reasonably safe giving a gaming computer to your kid with 16gb of ram.  They can play their games and do their homework with ease and no frustrations or slow downs. This is the advised ram as the younger generation generally is more tech savy. Likely streaming the video, chatting and other things during game play.  Upper mid-line computers have this amount of ram. Those that buy these.. expect a bit "more" and won't tolerate any slow downs. They will run more programs and likely not optimize them so there will be more memory being use by default.
  • 32 is the new "upper level" for computer enthusiast. This is for those that are doing Pod cast, gaming / streaming and other more professional level work. Those that want to milk the very most out of their computer while having it do 20 heavy task at the same time.  Encoding videos while gaming etc. This level is the upper level you can see to buy. Professional version of Windows are usually included in this range.
  • 64gb + is for professionals and those that want professional results using professional level programs like Adobe and not wait. Those that want to run more than one OS on the same computer (2 gamer one computer example from Linus) This level is generally custom order or build... That or listed as a "Workstation" generally starting some server grade components. Not always, but as you get 2000 + dollars, more and more are added.

Raise or lower your ram depending on your personal demands at the level you are at.. if you are adding VMs then you need another 8 or 16 if you are a lower level user.  8gb however is the lowest I would ever advise anyone running Windows 10 to use even for the most lightest used computer. (also it starts to cost more per gig as you get lower sticks, along with single stick options being generally the only choice which can have its own performance issues. )

It is OK to use a lot of your ram, Even if it seems to be at 40 and even 60 % most of the time. That just means you have a lot of things running in the background and your computer is setup that way. It won't "break" the system if it goes above 100% just start to page filie some of the items that are least needed at that time. Chances are .. unless you are more at a level of a professional or require that level of performance... you won't notice very much of a difference. 

Users from older generations like Windows 3.1 through Windows 98 and XP understand that you can run out of memory easily and not horrible results occur. They understand to optimize their computers and have those background programs and processes (which are a shit ton in newer modern OS's) turned off as a default and only to turn on in some cases as called for) 

I have 16 gigs of the old ram ... DDR3 and it is only running at 1600mhz. I am using a bit of memory all the time. Some would be afraid.. but.. that is oK. I am able to game with the best games any time I want (with a 1080ti and a slight bottleneck on paper but cant' see it on real life) and do whatever else I want without any .. or barely any noticeable issue.  open 75 tabs in Chrome.. no problem. lol.  I also have a linux VM that I run ALONGSIDE THE WINDOWS 10 OS ;)  It is setup to take half of my memory.  When I am running that VM.. there are ever the slightest noticeable issue that most wouldn't even realize if they didn't have the same computer since 2012. (and three OS's later.. yes, it even had Vista ;)  :P )  If I was using this for a professional level work and such, I might pop in another 16 gigs (2 more 8gigs to match my current 16 which they still sell by the way.. very important)  but the expense isn't worth it currently as it isn't really impacting me in any noticeable away.. Other than a few seconds when I re-image my computer to optimize some of the starting programs etc.

@Rokabur If you do have DDR 3, Id more advise you to live with what you have and start working towards getting a more modern computer where the components will last you many more years. DDR3 is quite old and getting more and more expensive to replace and upgrade.. performance is lacking compared to more modern equivalents (generally) . Investment in such an older computer can be a waste as if something like the processor or MObo goes bad you'd generally be screwed and wasted your memory upgrade $$$. FYI I am in this situation and won't purchase upgrades for the core components unless I absolutely have to. (Core being Motherboard, Processor, Ram, as they are generally the most specific to upgrade hardware. Other hardware can be changed out and even taken to your new computer if desired most of the time)

Hope I didn't crush people with my wall of text.

Good explanation @RitualClarity.

I've recently upgraded to 32 gigs - Corsair CMX32GX3M4A1600C11 XMS3 (what a mouth full) - to be fair. Checked the mainboard and it does not support more than DDR3 ram.

However, I don't think this is super bad.

Peak transfer rates for a 1600Mhz DDR3 ram are around 12600MB while DDR4 are around 24000 and upwards. Yes, quite a difference but when you check how much big data you're actually moving / loading it's not super noticeable, especially if you're not owning a SSD.

One more thing. If you buy more than 16 gigs, make sure your OS supports it. Standard Win 7 / 8 only support up to 16 gigs, had to upgrade to Win10 in order to make full use of the ram.

2 hours ago, Swanky said:

I've recently upgraded to 32 gigs - Corsair CMX32GX3M4A1600C11 XMS3 (what a mouth full) - to be fair. Checked the mainboard and it does not support more than DDR3 ram.

Peak transfer rates for a 1600Mhz DDR3 ram are around 12600MB while DDR4 are around 24000 and upwards. Yes, quite a difference but when you check how much big data you're actually moving / loading it's not super noticeable, especially if you're not owning a SSD.

One more thing. If you buy more than 16 gigs, make sure your OS supports it. Standard Win 7 / 8 only support up to 16 gigs, had to upgrade to Win10 in order to make full use of the ram.

DDR 3 isn't "super bad" just that like the Motherboard and processor, you can't take those into a new build.  New components aren't compatible.  Buy hard drives, SSD (2.5 not m.2) power, optical, cases, graphics cards etc can be taken with you to a new build. Memory can't.  It also is starting to cost more to get compared to some options /sizes for the modern memory. 

As in all things, an informed consumer is the best course of action.  To be clear, I am not opposed to increasing my ram however, currently it isn't justified. I might do so if I build a new rig and decide to really use my old (current) computer till it dies for a server or something that requires more ram (for plex encoding for example, or VM docker server or something like that that needs the extra oomph)

The movement between DDR3 and main stream DDR4 isn't very noticeable and would require very specific tools to even properly measure. (barring of course GIGANTIC DATA SETS) Nothing that would be greatly noticeable to the average user.  you can get far more bang for your buck with some SSD's even the 2.5 considering how M.2 isn't always compatible or function correctly with all DDR machines even if that option is available. Optimize some of your settings and you can rock that older machine for a long time barring a blown capacitor or other component.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:04 PM, HappyerbS said:

Download and run CPU-Z  go to the mainboard tab look at model number then google it to see what ram it takes, you can not mix and match DDR3 and 4.

Forgot I had CPU-Z installed for when I tried to Overclock my CPU but failed since it eventually started freezing on startup and took almost 2 hours to get into the BIOS and revert the settings to default.

When I look at the Mainboard tab, it shows X79-UP4 and the window next to it just shows x.x .

3 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

DDR 3 isn't "super bad" just that like the Motherboard and processor, you can't take those into a new build.  New components aren't compatible.  Buy hard drives, SSD (2.5 not m.2) power, optical, cases, graphics cards etc can be taken with you to a new build. Memory can't.  It also is starting to cost more to get compared to some options /sizes for the modern memory. 

As in all things, an informed consumer is the best course of action.  To be clear, I am not opposed to increasing my ram however, currently it isn't justified. I might do so if I build a new rig and decide to really use my old (current) computer till it dies for a server or something that requires more ram (for plex encoding for example, or VM docker server or something like that that needs the extra oomph)

The movement between DDR3 and main stream DDR4 isn't very noticeable and would require very specific tools to even properly measure. (barring of course GIGANTIC DATA SETS) Nothing that would be greatly noticeable to the average user.  you can get far more bang for your buck with some SSD's even the 2.5 considering how M.2 isn't always compatible or function correctly with all DDR machines even if that option is available. Optimize some of your settings and you can rock that older machine for a long time barring a blown capacitor or other component.

Not sure what an SSD has to do with not having enough RAM for some programs. My C Drive is a 320GB SSD, and have a 2TB and 6TB HDD for storage. Certain programs just now are starting to require MORE then 8GB to even run. Hell, some games require me to close all the processes I can just so it can eat up all the available RAM til its up to 98% in use anyway.

At this point, it'll be YEARS before I can afford to upgrade the Motherboard and CPU (already upgraded my graphics card, bought the 6TB HDD for game storage AND had to buy a new monitor cause my last one wouldn't turn anymore, all 3 within the past less then 8 months).

5 hours ago, Swanky said:

I'll switch to Linux or any other open OS and deal with the problems those have before I use Windows 10. 5 years ago when Microsoft was offering "free" upgrades to Windows 10, Windows had the installer hidden as first an optional security update, then 3 weeks later it was a recommended security update. Minimum of TEN times Windows Update tried to "upgrade" me to Windows 10 when shutting down my computer DESPITE having optional & recommended updates disabled. Lots of people reported the forced update bricking their PC's and other problems. Also, many programs aren't allowed to run on Windows 10, and then there's the whole FORCED Windows updates that are tested on VIRTUAL MACHINES therefore can't ever detect any bugs untilits pushed on the users and some of them end up with bricked PC's.

19 hours ago, Rokabur said:

Not sure what an SSD has to do with not having enough RAM for some programs. My C Drive is a 320GB SSD, and have a 2TB and 6TB HDD for storage. Certain programs just now are starting to require MORE then 8GB to even run. Hell, some games require me to close all the processes I can just so it can eat up all the available RAM til its up to 98% in use anyway.

At this point, it'll be YEARS before I can afford to upgrade the Motherboard and CPU (already upgraded my graphics card, bought the 6TB HDD for game storage AND had to buy a new monitor cause my last one wouldn't turn anymore, all 3 within the past less then 8 months).

An SSD is a better purchase in general for most people. gives the biggest bang for the buck (provided someone doesn't have on)

I am somewhat in your boat. I can get something but in reality I really shouldn't as I have many other commitments that should be addressed before hardware upgrade since my hardware is good enough, solid and still can rock on! :P 

57 minutes ago, Rokabur said:

Sadly it seems upgrading RAM is impossible cause in both CPU-Z and Speccy, my GIGABYTE motherboard is X79-UP4 but the version number is just x.x which I'm sure is not what's supposed to be there.

here is a spec sheet.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-X79-UP4-rev-10/sp#sp

You can have 64gigs of ram if you can find sticks big enough. However, might have some compatibility issues with higher ram sticks. Just make sure you are purchasing any memory from a place where you can return it if there ends up being any problems. You should be good with 8gig sticks (each for 32 total) which is realistically what you want in any case. My rig is from a similar time frame.

Man ual

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-X79-UP4-rev-10/support#support-manual

Oh and being an x79 board.. you are good to go in m y opinion. I was thinking you had a lesser model. This is the work/game station boards of that age. you should be pretty set for a long time.

If you need to replace...

https://www.ebay.com/p/129046761

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-X79-UP4-LGA2011-CrossFireX-USB3-0/dp/B008U045W6

and it has support for 4 way SLI !!!!

16 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

An SSD is a better purchase in general for most people. gives the biggest bang for the buck (provided someone doesn't have on)

I am somewhat in your boat. I can get something but in reality I really shouldn't as I have many other commitments that should be addressed before hardware upgrade since my hardware is good enough, solid and still can rock on! :P 

here is a spec sheet.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-X79-UP4-rev-10/sp#sp

You can have 64gigs of ram if you can find sticks big enough. However, might have some compatibility issues with higher ram sticks. Just make sure you are purchasing any memory from a place where you can return it if there ends up being any problems. You should be good with 8gig sticks (each for 32 total) which is realistically what you want in any case. My rig is from a similar time frame.

Man ual

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-X79-UP4-rev-10/support#support-manual

Oh and being an x79 board.. you are good to go in m y opinion. I was thinking you had a lesser model. This is the work/game station boards of that age. you should be pretty set for a long time.

If you need to replace...

https://www.ebay.com/p/129046761

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-X79-UP4-LGA2011-CrossFireX-USB3-0/dp/B008U045W6

and it has support for 4 way SLI !!!!

Hmm... according to CPU-Z and Speccy, my motherboard is chipset revision 04 and the Southbridge revision 06. My CPU is an i7-4820K at stock 3.7Gh (like I whined in earlier posts, had bad luck trying to OC it so slightly gimped on programs that rely on clock speed). The CPU is still good for regular games (I don't care for Mega-Ultra HD 20K resolution since I could only ever afford a 1080p monitor and couldn't afford upgrades to run games at 4K 60fps).

I needed a HDD over SSD since I have close to 2TB worth of games installed on the new 6TB HDD. Some games are now starting to DEMAND more then 8GB of RAM even if the minimum requirement listed is 8. I run them and get a window stating I'm out of system memory and that I need to close the program.

You have an EXCELLENT  Mobo.  3.7 gh isn't horrible. Even the new AMD processors that most people are buying are around that speed. Only the top end Intel is much faster (5gh if I remember )  you have great bandwidth. Better than I do on my rig! 

1080p is excellent and still relevant.  Also means you don't have to blow $$$ on super expensive monitors to get 2 or 4K. (along with more $$$$ for the graphics ) ;)

I wasn't aware of any games (most games at least) that demand 8gb ram. They might "suggest" or "recommend" but demand.. not seen it however, I am  not too much in gaming recently so my info is off.

It seems as if you are going to get 16 or better for ram which is fine. You are informed and understand what you are doing and getting into .. (reason I suspect you posted this thread :P)  Also check into what is taking up your memory and see if it is worth it or something you want running. Try optimizing your system to get the most out of it when gaming. Even with tons of ram, it does help if you trim the background programs when possible. ;)

Hope you the best in your upgrades :D  Have lots of fun!  Hopefully those links will help with your system.

50 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

You have an EXCELLENT  Mobo.  3.7 gh isn't horrible. Even the new AMD processors that most people are buying are around that speed. Only the top end Intel is much faster (5gh if I remember )  you have great bandwidth. Better than I do on my rig! 

1080p is excellent and still relevant.  Also means you don't have to blow $$$ on super expensive monitors to get 2 or 4K. (along with more $$$$ for the graphics ) ;)

I wasn't aware of any games (most games at least) that demand 8gb ram. They might "suggest" or "recommend" but demand.. not seen it however, I am  not too much in gaming recently so my info is off.

It seems as if you are going to get 16 or better for ram which is fine. You are informed and understand what you are doing and getting into .. (reason I suspect you posted this thread :P)  Also check into what is taking up your memory and see if it is worth it or something you want running. Try optimizing your system to get the most out of it when gaming. Even with tons of ram, it does help if you trim the background programs when possible. ;)

Hope you the best in your upgrades :D  Have lots of fun!  Hopefully those links will help with your system.

Like half the Processes tab in Task Manager is taken by multiple of the same program. Steam has SEVEN Steam Client WebHelper running. Firefox browser usually has 7-8 processes running at once.

I SORTA know what I'm doing. Didn't know you can't mix DDR3 and DD4 RAM. Did know its better to get 2 sticks at a time (my motherboard has room for 8 according to Speccy). Just not sure on the ACTUAL RAM since this Motherboard is 6 years old. When I try looking for X79 RAM, all I get are DDR3 listings, least on Amazon. I just want to be SURE so that I don't end up having to run it.

Going back and looking at https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-X79-UP4-rev-10/sp#sp, the motherboard doesn't support DDR4 RAM. And just from Amazon, seems like it'll cost $90 or more for 2 sticks of 8GB(each) RAM. Was looking on Amazon and found at least one that requires batteries?!?!

Anybody that could recommend a good brand?

Yes, DDR3 since it is a 4th gen processor. At least as far as I know.  Being 1600mhz is also a good giveaway.  Most ddr4 is much faster. Average is 3200 cheap is only sligthly slower.

You shouldn't hve all those process (duplicate) running at the same time. I assume this is even with a fresh start.  Might do good with a good clean re-installation of the OS

Crucial or Corsair DDR3 or match the model that you have currently. I assume they are two sticks (yes, I didn't check the OP at this time might have posted it)

Ram doesn't require batteries.. At least not the ones you need.

Make sure the model that I referenced is the actual model that you are using. There is even a picture and should have a model number info on the motherboard below or around the PCI express slot that might not be able to be seen without removing the graphics card.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/77781/intel-core-i7-4820k-processor-10m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

12 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

Yes, DDR3 since it is a 4th gen processor. At least as far as I know.  Being 1600mhz is also a good giveaway.  Most ddr4 is much faster. Average is 3200 cheap is only sligthly slower.

You shouldn't hve all those process (duplicate) running at the same time. I assume this is even with a fresh start.  Might do good with a good clean re-installation of the OS

Crucial or Corsair DDR3 or match the model that you have currently. I assume they are two sticks (yes, I didn't check the OP at this time might have posted it)

Ram doesn't require batteries.. At least not the ones you need.

Make sure the model that I referenced is the actual model that you are using. There is even a picture and should have a model number info on the motherboard below or around the PCI express slot that might not be able to be seen without removing the graphics card.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/77781/intel-core-i7-4820k-processor-10m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

Had this PC for 6 years and never reinstalled Windows 7 once. And NO, I won't use Windows 10 after what Microsoft pulled 5 years ago with the "free" upgraded that was pushed on people through"optional" and "recommended" security patches in Windows Update.

Hmm... besides the speed, what about the timing? The RAM I have is 9-9-9-24. One kit of 16GB of RAM is 1600Mhz and 11-11-11-30 timing while the second kit is 1333Mhz with 9-9-9-24 timing. The 1600Mhz RAM is just under $90 while the 1333Mhz RAM is $143.

Lower timing and latency is faster and generally more desirable.  However, you have to have or at least should have all the memory be the same speed, timing and latency along with voltage .. you can have some difference but generally best to have all the same.

Hmm... almost thought I could add the RAM alongside the existing 8GB for 24GB, but some reading shows that's a BAD idea since the RAM I have 666Mhz. Still, 16GB should be good til I need to upgrade my Motherboard, CPU AND RAM 4-5 years from now(and likely have to shell out over $800 for all 3). NOT looking forward to that since I'll have to take my PC apart entirely and try to keep all the wires and cords correct.

Thanks a LOT for the links RitualClarity since I had no idea my motherboard and CPU don't support DDR4.

6 hours ago, Rokabur said:

my motherboard and CPU don't support DDR4.

Mine either. But....

I just upgraded my ram from 8GB to 16 today and can really tell a difference in the smoothness of gameplay. I used to get this choppy frame-rate in some parts of games- like downtown Boston in FO4. Smoothed out now and even picked up some frames. I didn't think it would make that big a difference.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Mine either. But....

I just upgraded my ram from 8GB to 16 today and can really tell a difference in the smoothness of gameplay. I used to get this choppy frame-rate in some parts of games- like downtown Boston in FO4. Smoothed out now and even picked up some frames. I didn't think it would make that big a difference.

RAM I ordered should be here by Sunday. 16GB at 1600Mhz vs 8GB at 666Mhz (apparently to get full speed from RAM you have to go into the BIOS to the Xtreme Memory Profile). That might be why my current RAM is so slow. Never really have had performance issues though, mostly just (recently) programs eating up more RAM then they should (and other programs requiring more then 8GB to even run).

Kk, could anybody clarify something for me? In Speccy, my RAM is running at 666Mhz. But on a whim I went into the BIOS and there it shows my RAM runing at 1333Mhz. Does that mean to get my new RAM to run at the advertised 1600Mhz I'm gonna have to set it to 3200Mhz in the BIOS?