Stadia....and Mods?

You would never be able to mod games on stadia, at least not in any of the traditional senses of modding. Ditto for Nvidia Live etc.

Edited to add: you don't control the environment that the game is launched, hence cannot modify the file system in inject mods. I am not sure how something like Creation Club would go, as it is part of the game itself it would in theory be supported with time.

It is possible that officially sanctioned mods would be supported for some situations since they can install it on their end, but open mods and alterations, I don't see it. However, I haven't used it myself but know some that have and so far they haven't been able to do much but turn on and play, not unlike a console game.

2 hours ago, randomname002 said:

I am not sure how something like Creation Club would go, as it is part of the game itself it would in theory be supported with time.

Haven't ever looked at CC mods and tbh I don't understand how they're doing it. Whether they be "officially sanctioned" or not doesn't matter. They're still mods that are plugins. In other words, any type of mod would work/// theoretically speaking of course.

If this shit takes off, will games continue to be sold as a copy you keep? Or just a copy to play with whatever mods they offer?

The entire point of Stadia - from the publisher's viewpoint - is that the customer has zero control over the product. So if there will be any sort of mod support(which I doubt, no matter what the marketers say), I would expect it to be very limited.

2 hours ago, Keats said:

if there will be any sort of mod support(which I doubt, no matter what the marketers say), I would expect it to be very limited.

Limited how? By whom? By Google or the game publishers? Why would they even acknowledge mods if they had no way to include them in games or no intention to do so?

Do you still think we'll be buying copies of games in the future? What will happen to modding if we aren't?

Stadia and similar services are only a niche affair. They still sell games even now. There will be those that want to buy. Keep in mind that many of the publishers have their own services .. Origin, Steam, GOG etc. I doubt they will be willing to loose their advantage for those willing to pay.  Origin has their own service where you have access to tons of games and (yes, can still mod them if the game is mod-able)

the mainstream games will go service for yet another way people can get their game on.  It will work quite well for those wanting to play games with other and play the newest or whatever, the group desires easily and quickly. Just jump on!  Over all it can also be cheaper but... it will be a LONG time before .. even if it can become a mainstream option. Much like the purchase games (REAL purchase) that was available more than 10 or so years ago before Steam and such, before "unlimited time rental" of the games we buy today.

Nothing to worry about IMO.

Finally, Stadia... what? Who? is the question.  Who is using it? I don't know a single soul that is using it. Also, most of the people I know won't trust Google and their "services" as they have a habit of getting rid of things that don't work out how they wanted them to. Leaving you holding your... well .. insert what you want here.. hopeless and alone.   I will be concerned when one of the main game companies start doing this and gain popularity and imspire others to start doing it.. THEn I would start to get worried that modding and our gaming life will be over. We have a greater risk of companies deciding to protect their assets and prohibit any modding or alteration of their code before a Stadia like service causing problem

2 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

the mainstream games will go service for yet another way people can get their game on.  It will work quite well for those wanting to play games with other and play the newest or whatever, the group desires easily and quickly. Just jump on!  Over all it can also be cheaper but... it will be a LONG time before .. even if it can become a mainstream option.

Well, I can see the appeal since you can play games with more setups- https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9578631?hl=en  You wouldn't need expensive hardware to play games with your screen being the only exception maybe if you want 4k.

Nothing to worry about IMO.

Sure, casual gamers and all that. I still don't like it.

I will be concerned when one of the main game companies start doing this and gain popularity and imspire others to start doing it.. THEn I would start to get worried that modding and our gaming life will be over. We have a greater risk of companies deciding to protect their assets and prohibit any modding or alteration of their code before a Stadia like service causing problem

Let's just say for the sake of argument that companies do both and meet with success. What would be our recourse as gamers/modders then? Maybe fan modding is nothing but a headache for companies and they want to get rid of it. Wouldn't it also help with game pirating if the files were server side only? Aren't companies vying for more control all the time?

17 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Well, I can see the appeal since you can play games with more setups- https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9578631?hl=en  You wouldn't need expensive hardware to play games with your screen being the only exception maybe if you want 4k.

Sure, casual gamers and all that. I still don't like it.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that companies do both and meet with success. What would be our recourse as gamers/modders then? Maybe fan modding is nothing but a headache for companies and they want to get rid of it. Wouldn't it also help with game pirating if the files were server side only? Aren't companies vying for more control all the time?

True, the great thing about streaming is you don't need anything much. You could play it on an old chromebook if you wanted to.  Down side is the stream typically isn't as good as native and often much lower than a older gen console or med to low end gaming machine.  You are loosing out on that. For a cheap low res notebook .. cool, on a 2k computer, not so much. Until that is resolved and 1k or 2k is the norm over consumer mid to low level hardware (network hardware) then this is a bit pre-mature tech IMO.

I understand and personally I don't have a desire to get such a device myself. Likely most here won't.  Computer /Tech enthusiast are likely to refrain from long term use of this service until it matures IMO of course.

One of the resources would be injection type modding. Kind of like how you do Enb. Not sure how far that can go but perhaps? Also you forget the most important recourse... your dollars.  One of the main reasons TES and FAllout universe keeps their prices high is due to the modding world. There is only so much value with a plain game.  Other game companies like CD Project Red sees this value (for non muilitplayer) same with the developers of Conan. Companies that decide to streamline their products and such will be fully aware of the revenue that they will be loosing as a result. Another recourse, is we stick with the older games and mod the fuck out of them. Keep in mind that for the Bethesda games they have created entire worlds (Project Brazil) and merged worlds (fallout 3/nv) and done a lot more than that in the modding world. The tools are there and you can do so much. Now we have a 64 bit option for both that can be built on so the memory issue isn't as bad as it was for the old TES/Fallout worlds. (not great but ... still better)

Oh I forgot one major one... communities can create their own games ;) Lots of work but if nobody else is working on it... With Patron and other ways to help support those artist and scripting masters.. there are options Even there.

One thing about if both are successful.. it will be a good thing for gamers.. They will have choice. Choices are good. 

• 2 months later...

The developers are the ones who hold the copy of the game files so you'd have little to no access to said files. The only modding will be the rights holders editing content in much the same way as streaming video services remove 'objectionable' content at their leisure.