can someone point me to correct import/export workflow using Blender 2.8?

I'm trying to import a custom modeled mesh as armor into an existing nif (basically like a mashup kind of thing but with custom mesh and UV).

Most threads I see are referencing blender 2.49 nif plugin... but yea, no way, I'm not gonna go down that path. It's 2020.

I hope someone here with experience can describe a modern workflow that gets the job done.

Don't hesitate to use last updated import plugins even for new soft, they are optimized for new iterations of 3D apps if App support it,Bethesda still using old 2013 soft anyway.

Correct import should always be as - Import > Skeleton data > (Reference data if needed weights copy ) > your objects data > manipulations > save > export.

the last nif plugin  is :     blender_nif_plugin-2.6.0a0.dev4

you need to download it and register it to work in blender pref

do not know if it works with 2.82  but it is most stable with 2.79b blender version.

https://github.com/niftools/blender_nif_plugin/releases

the most stable blender and nif plugin is the one that works with version 2.49  from something like 2008  ( when the game had a lot of developers interest. )

46 minutes ago, RomeoZero said:

Don't hesitate to use last updated import plugins even for new soft, they are optimized for new iterations of 3D apps if App support it,Bethesda still using old 2013 soft anyway.

Correct import should always be as - Import > Skeleton data > (Reference data if needed weights copy ) > your objects data > manipulations > save > export.

Which blender plug-in you means, they will work for SE meshes,  and 2.8?

I sometimes install  nif blender plug-in , (beta versions)  , but they can not import SE nif. and they are not up-dated for 2.8.  (it is now on going, but never work to use as actuall tool )

So at least I need to keep install 2.7, and I often need to use LE version nif, then make LE version mesh, and convert again for SE.

But I do not check so often, so if you actually test with some body mesh, or armor etc, with 2.8,, hope to teach us with more detail,

and teach me which version plug-in you have used. with blender 2.81 or 2.82.

4 hours ago, greenmango12 said:

and teach me which version plug-in you have used. with blender 2.81 or 2.82.

I do not use Blender for LE,only max and old plugins support SSE. But why not use coolfreaky suggestion ? U can have a 2nd (cracked) copy of old Blender if plugins not support them to create Skyrim stuff. 

3 hours ago, RomeoZero said:

I do not use Blender for LE,only max and old plugins support SSE. But why not use coolfreaky suggestion ? U can have a 2nd (cracked) copy of old Blender if plugins not support them to create Skyrim stuff. 

It is because OP ask about new blender (at least not about 2.49 etc) and most of user who ask in "SE support topic"  need to know about SE mesh compatible or not

with new blender.  You do not believe, how blender drastically change from old version about UI,, 2.49 to 2.7,  and 2.7 to 2.8

I can not believe, I used 2.49 before,,, 

and without you are  developer,, most of 3d aprciation user, not hope to keep install many versions of same app.   so if it work from recent version,

we may only hope to install , 2.7 and 2.8 only.

Then what I could confirm.

1  blender nif plug in (include recent version)   only work for LE mesh. so when  edit mesh blender for SE,  

Convert SE mesh to LE mesh by Nif optimizer. (or I do not know if there is other tool which can convert it)

(BsTrishape need to convert as NiTriSHape)  , so Blender nif Plug in can import mesh. )

2.  blender nif plug in not work with 2.8. but it still work with 2.79 too. so you need not download 2.49 etc.

But  import blender 2.79.  then you can import Skyrlim (LE) meshes,  some textures may cause erroer message,, but basically you do not need to worry about it.

it may show all black textures, but you can adjust view port color as you like. or if you know clear,, assgin dds or your converted textures, or from LE mod textures in blender.

then export it as nif again (by use plug in offered menu)

3.re-covnert LE mesh to SE mesh (NiTrishape to BSTrishape)  by nif optimizer.   so the mesh can open in nif scope.. then I usually compare with original mod offered mesh,

and mash up again.. 

I have installed oppalco version blender plug in which auto set options, to make work easy.   I could find her git-hub plug in link  easy,, but recently I seems lost link of git.

so I download from  japanese wiki.. link.   you may need to serch link after translate.. (by google), if you prefere the version. 

https://w.atwiki.jp/skyrim_mod/pages/55.html

But I suppose,, the recent up-date version of Nif plug in,, may work too. (There seems  some new up-date seems included)

but I can not support how to set-up options, etc,,  I often experience,,  basically you may find some problem after  import and export..and try to use in game.

then may need to find by your sefl,, eg (weiht map is miss colored or export version change shader property and cause issue,, etc etc)

so may better after export nif, with blender plug-in (and conert for SE), compare  with original mod mesh nif, (if you have used the mesh to edit)

in nif - scope..    

(I suppose you try to import SE mod mesh, then edit (add geometry, or add your modeled part)  and export as nif again.

so you can compare original mod nif, with your new export and converted nif with nif scope. about each node property

some node will be removed, when you export , I suppose, (physics related nodes  etc))

Then if you find some erroer message when you export and save nif from blender plug in, hope you offer your erroer message,

so someone (if I can not) advice you,, what cause wrong. etc.. 

I can not support full, but as blender user,, I hope to know how improved bledner  plug in,

then may test again.. if you offer your edit mesh, and mod mesh nif name, which you hope to mash-up, I hope to test it too,

so apreciate, if you offer them.(your modifed mesh blender scene, include UV, + actuall nif name and mod, which you hope to mash up)

(then I can try same thing, with blender , and plug-in, then may offer what cause problem,if It not work) 

Then if new user may try to download blender nif plug in,, can not recommend, beta recent  versions.

2.6.0.dev4.2029434

or you need to modify  _init_.py  for register plug in.

Though If you know how to edit with bpy erroer it may not cause many problem. 

Edit, sorry I offered miss infomation,, I seems simply miss up-date with another version, then now clean install plug in,

the version . it seems work without problem.  (I do not know why it caused resgire erroer for me,, when I test it,,)

you need to un-zip , first, then only pick-up the io_scene_nif  directory

, and  manually copy and paste to  your blender add- on directory.

Then about this blender add-on,, you can not install 2. or 3 difference version about this plug-in. .and on and off.

at same time..  because the  base directory name = io_scene_nif   which used to import modules in their code

so we can not rename  root add on directory (package) ,

(though I could find way,, but too many module seems try to import from this package  so I can not edit all. as relatvie)

whoa.

Now I regret making a mention of blender plugin - why did this thread became a "blender plugin" thread when I asked about workflows ****NOT**** involving outdated bullshit versions of blender from 12 years ago. This forum is loaded with threads discussing 2.49 and 2.79 workflows. I really appreciate the effort trying to help - THANK YOU! - but what's the point of repeating all this old information? 

Converting SE meshes to LE so I can use a crappy old plugin? This is insanity. Maybe I should first install Windows 95 too, to run some DOS program while at it.

Gonna try starting a new thread, hopefully I manage to word it better.

Thank you again everyone for trying to help.

Archived