Can't Move/Stuck in Fall Animation

DocClox

I just had a bug where my character couldn't move. If I tried, he just ran on the spot. It looked like he was rebounding from invisible walls or something. It felt similar to the skyrim glitch where an interrupted animation could leave you stuck in third person with the camera not rotating with the character. Only in Skyrim, the best fix for that is to turn into a werewolf and that obvious isn't an option here. I did try killing him from the console, knocking him over wit PushActorAway, reloading, jumping, having sex, coc-ing to Sanctuary ... nothing helped.

Then I reload a save from an hour earlier. That seemed fine, but the first time I jumped, I got stuck in the falling animation. This time I could move but not fight. Some googling suggested that using a stimpack would fix this one, but no such luck.

Anyone know what causes this, or how to fix it? I just abandoned a very promising build because of this problem.

I've had this problem before when trying to use translateToRef on the player character. The way I stopped it from happening was to set the motion type on the player to Motion_Keyframed before the translation call. Then having event listeners for OnTranslationComplete and OnTranslationFailed on the player which would set the motion type on the player back to Motion_Dynamic.

Do you have a mod that you think might be using translation on the player? I'm not sure if you can alter the motion type of an object via the console or if it would fix an instance where it has already occurred. But you could make a quick test mod that does it.

It tends to happen (or I tend to notice it) after an AAF scene. But that tends to either walk the player to the spot, or else just teleport them there.

Other candidates would be Just Business, AAF Family Planning and Atomguard, but again, I can't think of any of them translating the player character.

I don't know if AAF does any translation on the player and I'm not sure it would need to. So might be a red herring for your issue. It is doing some things to restrict movement. In the mod I'm making for F4 I let the player use the jump control as a hotkey to end a running scene. I've noticed that the invisible player actor (not the doppelganger) will still jump on command (you can hear it jump if you listen closely, even though you can't see it). However, it seems they don't respond to other movement commands or actions whilst they are locked by AAF.

I use AAF and AAF Family Planning and have never had the problem except during the self induced instances I described above. My guess would be a weird interaction with some other mod when AAF is putting blocks or changes on the player movement.

I'm interested to know what else happens to the player actor when they go invisible during an AAF scene if @dagobaking sees this.

I confess,I haven't looked at the internals of AAF at all. Having an invisible player and a puppet might explain some things.

I don't know for certain that the problem is AAF, it just tends to manifest coming out of sex. That said, another symptom seems to be getting stuck invulnerable. I've just been running around thinking how well combat was going, only to realise that I'm not taking damage at all. Of course, it could be an unrelated issue.

I'm starting to wonder if the problem might not be Atomguard. It's a nice mod, but the current incarnation has a tendency to have scripts stop working and not restart them. Mind you, FPE does that too, although that seems to be due to if having too many active threads, looking at the logs. And FPE seems to restart if I quit and reload.

2 hours ago, Carabosse said:

I'm interested to know what else happens to the player actor when they go invisible during an AAF scene if @dagobaking sees this.

You can follow the process in the source code for AAF_MainQuestScript.

First walking to location via "OnWalkTo" and then locking the character(s) for animation with "OnLockActor".

(AAF does use translate to keep the actors in place.)

1 hour ago, dagobaking said:

If characters in an AAF animation are hit by an attack, AAF should automatically end that animation.

Often I find that an enemy will attack (but not damage) the invisible player. Ignoring the doppelganger and whatever other actors there might be. In those instances the scenes don't seem to be interrupted. For me at least.

2 hours ago, Carabosse said:

Often I find that an enemy will attack (but not damage) the invisible player. Ignoring the doppelganger and whatever other actors there might be. In those instances the scenes don't seem to be interrupted. For me at least.

It may be because an enemy has already seen and started combat with the PC before the AAF animation started. So "going invisible" at that point didn't fool them.

15 hours ago, dagobaking said:

It may be because an enemy has already seen and started combat with the PC before the AAF animation started. So "going invisible" at that point didn't fool them.

It might be worthwhile calling a StopCombatAlarm on the player as they go invisible.

I thought that I could recreate DocClox issue. I did once by making the player jump just at the end of the walkto as they go invisible. But I've since been unable to repeat it after about ten attempts. I do think its related to the translateTo call on the player though. As I said I use the translate functions on the player during a dancing encounter in Zodiac. I saw the issue then and had to change the player motion type during translation to prevent it.

Altering the motion type of the player would not fix an issue that had already occurred unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Carabosse said:

It might be worthwhile calling a StopCombatAlarm on the player as they go invisible.

I'm very reluctant to mess with that work-flow because getting it to its current state was the result of a ton of back-and-forth over these kinds of issues. Now, there are multiple mods relying on it to work the way that it does. So that if I introduce new AI package changes it is likely to break at least some of them.

AAF does send out events at multiple key moments. So, my preference is for the mods using AAF to call things like StopCombatAlarm if they are using it in a context where it might be needed.

As you probably know, very strange and unpredictable things can happen around these AI related commands.

1 hour ago, Carabosse said:

I thought that I could recreate DocClox issue. I did once by making the player jump just at the end of the walkto as they go invisible. But I've since been unable to repeat it after about ten attempts. I do think its related to the translateTo call on the player though. As I said I use the translate functions on the player during a dancing encounter in Zodiac. I saw the issue then and had to change the player motion type during translation to prevent it.

I understood his issue as the PC being stuck. I don't follow how changing the motion type would help that? It sounds like something happens in some unusual circumstance where AAF then doesn't fire the unlock function.

Not sure if this could help OP. Maybe. There's a trick I learnt since skyrim, when things go bad due to animations and things like the camera, or the player itself, get stuck: I activate a furniture like a workbench. If it's too far, I go in tfc near the workbench then click on it and "Activate Player". If there's no workbench, I "Player.PlaceAtMe" a random workbench after I found the form with Help.

6 hours ago, dagobaking said:

I'm very reluctant to mess with that work-flow because getting it to its current state was the result of a ton of back-and-forth over these kinds of issues. Now, there are multiple mods relying on it to work the way that it does. So that if I introduce new AI package changes it is likely to break at least some of them.

AAF does send out events at multiple key moments. So, my preference is for the mods using AAF to call things like StopCombatAlarm if they are using it in a context where it might be needed.

As you probably know, very strange and unpredictable things can happen around these AI related commands.

I understood his issue as the PC being stuck. I don't follow how changing the motion type would help that? It sounds like something happens in some unusual circumstance where AAF then doesn't fire the unlock function.

What's with that issue where when you set the actor to be aidriven, then sometimes (oftentimes) they can't decide which way to turn and get stuck? It was maddening watching actors perfectly walk around a dancing pole and then another time freeze in place.

There's a vanilla script related to artillery fire which at first glance looked like an example of Bethesda trying to get around a similar problem when making a firing solution and subsequent animation of the artillery platform. I haven't had chance to look at it since.

There's a specific state that the actor can enter where they run on the spot and when they jump, the actor will play the fall animation ad infinitum. The most information I've found about it was on the translateTo page of the Skyrim creation kit wiki (always look at the Skyrim counterpart to whatever Fallout 4 entry you're looking at for more information). They mostly talk about the issue in regards to moveable statics (I personally found that translating moveable statics was easier determined by settings within the nif. Open an animated door in nifskope and copy the relevant settings etc). The only way I found to reliably translate the player at runtime was to alter the motion type during the translation and only during the translation.

The translations that AAF uses are imperceptibly small and by extension extremely quick. I suppose that might factor into the prevalence of the issue.

Archived