Sanctuary Straining System

Malphias

I have a hefty rig, built it myself. But, regardless of that, the game's design is not optimal and I find Sanctuary very slow to load it's environment. I can't help getting fancy. Housing is for only 1 to 4 people and I always build with around 30 settlers in mind. With walls, stores, workshops, etc....Sanctuary lags. Every building is decked out with shelves of clothes, food, decoration, fireplaces, beds, showers, etc. Stores are packed with appropriate items: general goods at the trader's, weapons at the weapon merchant shop, etc.

When I come running up on a return to Sanctuary items are 'floating' as they have loaded before the structures have. Buildings have wall decorations and ceilings but no walls. Guard posts float in the air as the towers have yet to load.

Anyone else as bad about packing the settlement like that and if so, you have the same issue or find a way around that?

After a minute or two everything will be loaded and I can run around the settlement without any lag or issue. Just takes so long for everything to load.

14 hours ago, izzyknows said:

You can also use damanding's Creative Clutter

I do, it's one of many reasons my settlements get packed LOL ...but Sanctuary is special, it's huge compared to most others. I spread out. Most settlements I build upward and settlers are packed about 10 to 15 in a communal living space. So there's a lot fewer buildings and thus a lot less to decorate. So far, it's only ever been Sanctuary that gives me this problem.

One of the problems with Sanctuary is it's part of the triangle of death. Sanctuary, Red Rocket & Abernathy. What I did was to use the CK and got Sanctuary basically "scrapped" and tweaked to a baseline. Rebuilt the pre-combines/pre-vis, packed into a ba2, then removed the records from Scrap Everything.

Doing this has the downside of not being able to scrap anything I want, but.. the performance is greatly increased... by a LOT.

22 minutes ago, izzyknows said:

One of the problems with Sanctuary is it's part of the triangle of death. Sanctuary, Red Rocket & Abernathy. What I did was to use the CK and got Sanctuary basically "scrapped" and tweaked to a baseline. Rebuilt the pre-combines/pre-vis, packed into a ba2, then removed the records from Scrap Everything.

Doing this has the downside of not being able to scrap anything I want, but.. the performance is greatly increased... by a LOT.

I've noticed that a lot of people have problems with those three together. I've had a couple of issues with Sanctuary and Red Rocket, but never with Abernathy Farm, and I wonder why.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. ;)

Never had a problem with Red Rocket or Abernathy either. It's just Sanctuary and it's not like it's a killer.  I've had to tweek for weeks to get all my mods to be happy but so far not a single CTD.  Doesn't even slow my character down at all. I can zip right through the gates and up the street to the workshop while all the buildings continue to load around me without any lag. I could probably do away with it, but that would mean having fewer buildings and a lot less decoration. I can live with it, if I must. Hell, once it's done and I start on the next settlement I wont be around much anyway unless it's attacked...which seldom happens, if ever, happens. And when it does my task is just to gather gear from the dead guys outside my walls, by the time I can get into a tower and fight them, it's over.

Sanctuary has a max 3000 draws. Which includes the vanilla settlement. On PC you can go roughly 1 1/5 times that before encountering issues. BUT... at 7500 draws "usually" the first thing you'll notice is the engine can't calculate the pathing correctly. Well... is does a shitty job of it anyway.. but it gets a lot worse. Now add 30 settlers and the engine starts to shit itself.

Depending on your render distance, there are spots that all 3 settlements will start to load, and if you've blown the build budget in all 3, it causes issues. Red Rocket is actually in the worst spot possible. It will load Sanctuary, Abernathy and Concord.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 12:10 AM, izzyknows said:

Red Rocket is actually in the worst spot possible. It will load Sanctuary, Abernathy and Concord.

That would explain why, when I leave RR and jump down the hill to engage those two bloodbugs, everything now seems to freeze... and stutter ... and lag ... for a second or two.

I don't know what they did in the last few releases, but the game never used to be this bad.

I used to play with 15-30 FPS and bad drops in big settlements and near Boston on my 8GB memory + 1050ti.

I since then upgraded to 2x16 (32GB) instead of 1x8GB of system memory.

Now I play a steady 60fps on all the same hardware.

It was just system memory.

THAT's what fallout needs to run well.

Upgrade your memory and your FPS will go up, your lag will disappear and you will be a happy player for it.

5 hours ago, DocClox said:

That would explain why, when I leave RR and jump down the hill to engage those two bloodbugs, everything now seems to freeze... and stutter ... and lag ... for a second or two.

I don't know what they did in the last few releases, but the game never used to be this bad.

Prolly just compiled updates on old versions. Hell, they fixed, then broke the Abernathy crops 3 times, maybe more.. I made my own fix and quit counting. LOL

29 minutes ago, Reginald_001 said:

I used to play with 15-30 FPS and bad drops in big settlements and near Boston on my 8GB memory + 1050ti.

I since then upgraded to 2x16 (32GB) instead of 1x8GB of system memory.

Now I play a steady 60fps on all the same hardware.

It was just system memory.

THAT's what fallout needs to run well.

Upgrade your memory and your FPS will go up, your lag will disappear and you will be a happy player for it.

I've seen that before. BUT I have 8Gb of memory!! Yea... the os takes 4Gb min... FO4 needs 4Gb min, (actually more) it's just simple math. LOL

I've got 32Gb ram & a 1080Ti with 11Gb vram. I turned vsync off and added pretty stuff until the FPS dropped to 70/80 FPS at 4K. Funny thing is, while picking a lock the FPS goes to almost 200. But the kool part is the loading screens run above 140, which cut load times a good bit.

Archived