How to become a good CC maker ?

ZinZan123

Sorry if this was asked before but i am aiming to be a CC creator with following objectives -

1) To be able to easily convert Sims 4 Clothing to Sims 3.

2) To easily make minor changes in existing sims 3 clothes.

3) To add transparency in Sims 3 clothes.

4) To finally be able to contribute my own creations to the global Sim community.

I feel that without a standard fundamental knowledge of basics, no progression is possible. Therefore, it would be very helpful if someone could share or link easy basics of CC making, centered on fulfilling above objectives, as final outcome.

I want to be able to make progress as much as possible, so i have made a timetable to ensure that i firmly grasp at least one specific topic every week.

Thank you very much.

Since this topic has not been answered yet:

I'm not a mod maker. I'm an experienced user with many years of Sims 3 under my belt. However, this doesn't mean I understand all the 'nuts and bolts'.

One reason I never got too far into the 'code' side was like Magic, once you see how the trick is done, it seems to lose it's impact. There really isn't MUCH I'd want for mods that isn't available already.

Animations - So many good ones, and just 'more' isn't as interesting to me if they don't have something the others don't offer. This boils down to either; Fetish, or location.

Clothing - Except for content here on LL, I try to avoid it - I have so much already, BUT, occasionally I get the urge to create 'thematic' worlds/families/whatnot, and it's back to the net for hours, sometimes successful, other times disappointed. I have 'learned' to be creative in the application of existing CC.

Other Stuff - As mentioned above, specialized CC that can be used imaginatively is more what I tend to actively seek out nowadays.

Example: Dailycards KW enabled cars and other content creators animations make owning vehicles fun.

IF I was to try to be a Sims 3 content creator, I'd first search the web for info - Tools needed and Guides to understand, and use them. Then I'd play with them for awhile till I needed advanced help to progress. Back to the web, searching for detailed/advanced guides concerning my issues, until I was able to create something which works in game.

Now I'm in the ballpark and would feel comfortable enough that the questions would be relevant, and the answers understandable. More practice and experimentation with my new knowledge.

By actually creating something and other creators seeing you're serious, will go a long way to make them comfortable in taking the time to help. (IRL I've trained many employees, going out of my way to give that added info to help them succeed, only for them to quit, and I have to start all over...)

Many Creators here have mentored in some capacity others whom show serious interest in mod making, and this helps everyone.

One more example: As a musician, I've been asked to 'teach' others how to play. When they aren't interested in learning scales, timing/meter, beginner musical theory like sound wave frequency and how it affects harmony/chords - and just want me to show them a specific 'lick', then they are not learning music - they are a trained monkey.

Do you want to be a trained monkey mod maker? Or an Artist capable of true creation? One needs to understand the rules, however basic, to progress. How far depends on you.

Referencing my 'Magic' comparison above - Yes, with music I tend to dissect it when listening, the magic is gone compared to non-musicians. I still enjoy it immensely, but something did die once I understood the 'nuts and bolts'.  "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! The Great and Powerful OZ has spoken!"

Best of Luck   Sim love 4 ever

On 2/15/2020 at 6:02 AM, ZinZan123 said:

Sorry if this was asked before but i am aiming to be a CC creator with following objectives -

1) To be able to easily convert Sims 4 Clothing to Sims 3.

2) To easily make minor changes in existing sims 3 clothes.

3) To add transparency in Sims 3 clothes.

4) To finally be able to contribute my own creations to the global Sim community.

I can't do much for you with S4 to S3 "easily", and have only played with S4 stuff a little. When you figure out transparencies, let me know. I'm trying to get one to work on a skirt I'm working on right now!

That said... honestly, don't expect "easy" anything with making CC. It's a lot of work, and if you're like me, you'll place high expectations on quality of what you finally upload... And it gets worse, because the more you learn (and there's a lot), the more you'll expect from yourself!

I've been making "uploadable" CC for less than a year, but I was fortunate enough to have a great teacher in Josh Q. Sadly, he told me that he is taking some time away from creating. I'm still learning, despite all that I've learned already. That's why I say it's not easy or fast, and that there is so much! 

"Patience and Practice" are the words of Josh Q. Just like you, I posted a thread asking for help to make open bottomed dresses on 30 June. It turned into 16 pages and covers a lot of different things, and is a good place to check out...

There is a lot of great information from Josh Q on these pages! Incidentally, the dress on the first page of the thread is actually a TS4 multiplier that I pulled using TSRW and adapted to a TS3 mesh, but I really don't do it now because it was a pain in the butt.

11 hours ago, landess said:

IF I was to try to be a Sims 3 content creator, I'd first search the web for info - Tools needed and Guides to understand, and use them.

You should have pointed me here, you cranky wanker! I'm not a teacher, and am still really just learning, but I can point my fingers in the right directions... more or less. )

@ZinZan123 landess is right about a few things though... I had been messing with GIMP to alter multipliers and Blender to alter meshes long before deciding to get more serious and try to make something good enough to upload.

Really, a question that needs to be asked of you is, "Just how much do you already know?" GIMP? Blender? (I don't use Milk Shape or Photoshop) TSRW? s3pe? Meshing Tool Kit? Again, I used all those and a few other programs for a few years (and still learning new features), making and altering stuff just for myself before venturing this far into the woods! )))))

Don't think I'm mean or harsh... that's landess' thing and I won't steal his thunder... I just want to be realistic with you.

1 hour ago, LadySmoks said:

You should have pointed me here, you cranky wanker!

I tend not to assume the level of someones knowledge base or experience. It's why so many times I decide to 'start at the beginning', so I can't be accused of leaving out a step, or other things which may seem obvious.

If someone 'stops' me, and sets a 'place' to start again, then if anything I was going to say isn't known, it's not on me. We tend to call this skimming information till you reach the points of interest.

'They really should put the warnings at the beginning'   - Dr. Strange

7 minutes ago, landess said:

I tend not to assume the level of someones knowledge base or experience.

And that is why I made the second post. ? In the first, I stressed the point that it's not that easy, then thought about what you wrote and I added asking about ZinZan123's assessment of his or her current knowledge of tools. I'm sure he/ she will read our posts, and I want to add something else Josh Q told me when I was frustrated with a project... basically, he said, "Things don't always work. Maybe 1 out of 10."

I hope ZinZan123 tries modding and is successful, but I want him/her to know going in that it can be frustrating and time consuming. Here's an example that you've seen... It's my Harley Quinn Arkham set.... 

Screenshot-6.jpg.de7cd0da71b727598be6e3e55ef12e27.jpg

I think it looks great! Right up until you go a little fatter or thinner or fitter, and all those studs, buttons and buckles on the top twist everywhere! I started this in the middle of November and have been trying everything to make the morphs behave, and won't upload it until I do.

I want ZinZan123 to understand that along with feeling good when people like what you made, not every project goes as you hope. ((( Don't quit just because 1, 2, or 10 projects end poorly before you have something nice. ))))

On 2/22/2020 at 5:55 AM, landess said:

When they aren't interested in learning scales, timing/meter, beginner musical theory like sound wave frequency and how it affects harmony/chords - and just want me to show them a specific 'lick', then they are not learning music - they are a trained monkey.

Ding, ding, ding! (pun intended?)

This game is “easy” to mod once you get the fundamentals: textures, morphs, seams and lods; then comes the “fun” part: how to translate your idea to the game avoiding crashes and other problems.

You will find several tutorial on modthesims, and thesimsresource that will teach you the basics, as LadySmoks said I’ve shared several nuggets all over this place, but the most important piece of advice is to download tsrworkshop and start opening whatever piece or garment you’re interested in making: shoes, skirts, accessories, lingerie and see how EA (or other creators) made them. Another piece of advice: learning about this game can also become stressful so take it slowly, don’t force yourself.

When I started I didn’t knew how to manipulate a mesh, much less making my own but I was very obstinate (or plain crazy depending on who you ask), so If you have the patience you will be able to get what you want. For now avoid trying to convert stuff from S4 to S3 because both games are completely different in how they’re made.

I can help but, as LadySmoks also said, I’m taking a break from making stuff so I’m checking the forums very sporadically.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I've said anything too.

Hope you two are doing well.

Me - I seem to be making every excuse I can NOT to do a rebuild on PG... SQUIRREL!!!

Always discovering new things in 3D modeling. 

As for ZinZan123... Yep, you either scared off or their deep into learning the basic software and trying things out - like we all did. The neverending research and experimentation. The existential Persistence, Patients, and Practice. 

Archived