CTDs during loading screen, need help!

Recently i had the problem that i wasnt able to save manually anymore, only automatic. I then decided to try and fix that and tried a fix on Nexus (this one here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1504498-skyrim-i-can-load-the-game-but-cant-save/ ) but it seems like that only made things worse because now i cant load into the game anymore, doesnt matter which save my game crashes during loading screen. I also cant start a new game, it just loads infinetly when i try that. Can someone please help me out?

1 hour ago, Ellegen said:

There's nothing like guessing when trying to troubleshoot.

The second and third link are to the same thing. The first link leads to something that has been superseded by the second/third link. The fourth link is to someone else's ini files which are for LE, circa 2013.

I’m fighting with CTD last 3 weeks when I decided to make own moded Skyrim. Have some basic advices about debugging CTD.

1 In Mod Organizer disable last installed mod. For debuging always  start new game, saves usually cant be loaded with disabled mods.

2 Use Loot and check all mod patches, check load order, maybe something replaced Papyrus dll or other libs. It happens very often, for example Sexlab and Campfire breaks Papyrus dll (why they did it? Who knows). 

3 look at “My Games / Skyrim / Logs .. “ sometimes there error messages from specific mod.

4 most boring method - disable all mods, if game starts, disable mods one by one, until new game will start ok. When found, usually you need patch for non working mod. 

If game doest start even without any mods :

- Check game updates, if Steam silently updated your game folder. Need to put admin priveleges on all Exe files (after update windows resets admin priveleges for new exe files). Also exclude game folder and mods folder in antivirus. Its dumb, but Bitdefender can break Skyrim mods.

- Check registry - where windows store game path. Sometimes it not correct. If installed two Skyrim versions, they usually break each other, because they use same folder in My documents, and same path in windows registry.

5 If some mod worked ok but started to cause CTD - mod reinstall helps. I don’t know why, but seems like mods can be broken by other mods. 

6 localisation in Skyrim is pain, you can try vanilla English version of problematic mod, English mods from Nexus 99% reliable and stable. After adding other mod languages from other sources problem begins.

When your game will start ok with “New game”, you can try to reanimate broken saves, some users advice to use “save cleaner” or something, but I didnt use it. 

1 hour ago, JohnSmith54 said:

I’m fighting with CTD last 3 weeks when I decided to make own moded Skyrim. Have some basic advices about debugging CTD.

1 In Mod Organizer disable last installed mod. For debuging always  start new game, saves usually cant be loaded with disabled mods.

2 Use Loot and check all mod patches, check load order, maybe something replaced Papyrus dll or other libs. It happens very often, for example Sexlab and Campfire breaks Papyrus dll (why they did it? Who knows). 

3 look at “My Games / Skyrim / Logs .. “ sometimes there error messages from specific mod.

4 most boring method - disable all mods, if game starts, disable mods one by one, until new game will start ok. When found, usually you need patch for non working mod. 

- Check game updates, if Steam silently updated your game folder. Need to put admin priveleges on all Exe files (after update windows resets admin priveleges for new exe files). Also exclude game folder and mods folder in antivirus. Its dumb, but Bitdefender can break Skyrim mods.

- Check registry - where windows store game path. Sometimes it not correct. If installed two Skyrim versions, they usually break each other, because they use same folder in My documents, and same path in windows registry.

5 If some mod worked ok but started to cause CTD - mod reinstall helps. I don’t know why, but seems like mods can be broken by other mods. 

6 localisation in Skyrim is pain, you can try vanilla English version of problematic mod, English mods from Nexus 99% reliable and stable. After adding other mod languages from other sources problem begins.

When your game will start ok with “New game”, you can try to reanimate broken saves, some users advice to use “save cleaner” or something, but I didnt use it. 

Already tried most of those

@Jettrail

While not certain but that sounds like a issue I had before where the game suddenly began crashing when a save attempt happened whether it was trying to manual save or auto saves when waiting or when changing cells i.e going into a building. As well as if shutting the game down and then when going to load recent saves the game would CTD but would allow for older saves to be loaded and from those I could load those more recent saves. So if this is what your experiencing than the problem is something to do with death scripts in the game. Unfortunately I cant find the reddit post that had the solution to this to link you but I will try to give you the steps to fix it from what I remember of it so have to forgive me if I'm remembering incorrectly on this resulting in one extra step that might not be necessary.

Step 1. Load a older save file where you're able to make a new save file, make a new save.

Step 2. Load the save you just made. When you're loaded into the game open console and type player.kill and hit enter. This is going to kill your character and reset the bugged death scripts causing CTD's. Once the game reloads you into this save file after death, now make another save and load it.

Step 3. Now from this point load your most recent save ( the ones you have been crashing when trying to save in ) and again open console and type player.kill and hit enter. It will again reload this save, make another new save and load it.

You should now be able to make new saves with out crashing to desktop from that save and continue with your game. Might not be needed but I would still suggest you to delete the bugged saves afterwards or remove them from your saves folder so you don't forget which they were and accidentally reload into them later on. You can also delete the saves you had to make in the above steps except the last one from step 3. 

Edit here to say that if this was what was happening in your game than each failed save attempt has probably put a save file that has the file labled as temp in it somewhere, you can easily spot these by file size because the file size is 0kb, You should delete these as well, I've had these cause a crash in the past dunno why but for some reason after I deleted them the game booted up no problems. No idea why or how it had any affect on my games crashing but it did in that instance. So now I make sure there are no temp saves in my save folder and I make sure to use https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/18414/ to delete any old redundant saves that bloat the saves folder.

1 hour ago, sparral said:

@Jettrail

While not certain but that sounds like a issue I had before where the game suddenly began crashing when a save attempt happened whether it was trying to manual save or auto saves when waiting or when changing cells i.e going into a building. As well as if shutting the game down and then when going to load recent saves the game would CTD but would allow for older saves to be loaded and from those I could load those more recent saves. So if this is what your experiencing than the problem is something to do with death scripts in the game. Unfortunately I cant find the reddit post that had the solution to this to link you but I will try to give you the steps to fix it from what I remember of it so have to forgive me if I'm remembering incorrectly on this resulting in one extra step that might not be necessary.

Step 1. Load a older save file where you're able to make a new save file, make a new save.

Step 2. Load the save you just made. When you're loaded into the game open console and type player.kill and hit enter. This is going to kill your character and reset the bugged death scripts causing CTD's. Once the game reloads you into this save file after death, now make another save and load it.

Step 3. Now from this point load your most recent save ( the ones you have been crashing when trying to save in ) and again open console and type player.kill and hit enter. It will again reload this save, make another new save and load it.

You should now be able to make new saves with out crashing to desktop from that save and continue with your game. Might not be needed but I would still suggest you to delete the bugged saves afterwards or remove them from your saves folder so you don't forget which they were and accidentally reload into them later on. You can also delete the saves you had to make in the above steps except the last one from step 3. 

Edit here to say that if this was what was happening in your game than each failed save attempt has probably put a save file that has the file labled as temp in it somewhere, you can easily spot these by file size because the file size is 0kb, You should delete these as well, I've had these cause a crash in the past dunno why but for some reason after I deleted them the game booted up no problems. No idea why or how it had any affect on my games crashing but it did in that instance. So now I make sure there are no temp saves in my save folder and I make sure to use https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/18414/ to delete any old redundant saves that bloat the saves folder.

Ok i'll try that, thanks

1 hour ago, sparral said:

@Jettrail

What do you mean with older save where i can make a new one @sparral

@Jettrail

Edit- What I ment when I said that is a older/earlier save you have where you're able to still create new saves with out crashing 

If your issue is what I've described than you should be able to load a older/earlier save that is unaffected by the bug that causes crashes when making a new save. So it might take some trial and error by working your way down your save list loading each save and than trying to make a new save if you cant recall a save point where you were able to make a new save with out crashing.

3 hours ago, sparral said:

@Jettrail

Edit- What I ment when I said that is a older/earlier save you have where you're able to still create new saves with out crashing 

If your issue is what I've described than you should be able to load a older/earlier save that is unaffected by the bug that causes crashes when making a new save. So it might take some trial and error by working your way down your save list loading each save and than trying to make a new save if you cant recall a save point where you were able to make a new save with out crashing.

Ah okay, yeah i cant load old saves, no matter how old they are. Thanks anyways tho

5 hours ago, Jettrail said:

Ah okay, yeah i cant load old saves, no matter how old they are. Thanks anyways tho

I had that problem when I updated Dyndolod incorrectly. Loading a save before the update with Dyndolod deactivated, entering an interior and making a clean save, then activating Dyndolod again fixed it.

8 hours ago, Kaarinah said:

I had that problem when I updated Dyndolod incorrectly. Loading a save before the update with Dyndolod deactivated, entering an interior and making a clean save, then activating Dyndolod again fixed it.

Hmm ok, might worth a try.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:28 PM, JohnSmith54 said:

Ok so i disabled all mods and tried to start the game completely vanilla but it crashed both when i tried to load a save and when i tried to make a new game. I think that means this isnt a mods related problem right? @JohnSmith54

@Jettrail

Yeah if it is crashing with out any mods enabled than its not a mod related crash. So try this if this doesn't work than the only other thing I could suggest is to uninstall and reinstall the game. Open steam and go to library, right click on skyrim and click properties and go to local files tab and click verify integrity of game files. Mind you this will update the skyrim.exe so if Bethesda has updated their creation crap club thing, you will than have to update skse and any skse dependent mods and or rollback your game file you can google search how to do that if you don't already know how to. So you may wish to pull the skyrim.exe from the skyrim directory folder or copy it and paste the skyrim.exe somewhere before you verify your game files on steam and than after its done copy and paste the skyrim.exe back into your skyrim directory folder replacing the newest version of it that was put there by verifying your game files, so that you won't have to update skse and all mods that rely on it or have to go through the steps to rollback since that will just add a folder containing the same skyrim.exe version your currently using.

2 hours ago, sparral said:

@Jettrail

Yeah if it is crashing with out any mods enabled than its not a mod related crash. So try this if this doesn't work than the only other thing I could suggest is to uninstall and reinstall the game. Open steam and go to library, right click on skyrim and click properties and go to local files tab and click verify integrity of game files. Mind you this will update the skyrim.exe so if Bethesda has updated their creation crap club thing, you will than have to update skse and any skse dependent mods and or rollback your game file you can google search how to do that if you don't already know how to. So you may wish to pull the skyrim.exe from the skyrim directory folder or copy it and paste the skyrim.exe somewhere before you verify your game files on steam and than after its done copy and paste the skyrim.exe back into your skyrim directory folder replacing the newest version of it that was put there by verifying your game files, so that you won't have to update skse and all mods that rely on it or have to go through the steps to rollback since that will just add a folder containing the same skyrim.exe version your currently using.

I already verifyed the integrety of the game files, but without moving the files .exes out. Maybe it will help if i do that? I can certainly try @sparral

If you've already done that than I doubt doing it again would change anything. Sorry my man but I am out of ideas for ya to try with the exception of a uninstall and reinstall. Maybe some one with more technical know how will be able to give you answers. You might wanna try posting your problem on the nexus forum as well they might have some ideas for what to try that people here haven't suggested. 

If steam game files verification doesnt work maybe try to backup all mods and remove game, clean windows with CCleaner or other to be sure no registry junk, reboot and do clean install. This way all entries will be restored not only game files.

Because windows store lot of info about software, I found tons of “Betethda related” entries in my registry, why they put it there I dont know.

8 hours ago, JohnSmith54 said:

If steam game files verification doesnt work maybe try to backup all mods and remove game, clean windows with CCleaner or other to be sure no registry junk, reboot and do clean install. This way all entries will be restored not only game files.

Because windows store lot of info about software, I found tons of “Betethda related” entries in my registry, why they put it there I dont know.

You mean clean uninstalling Skyrim SE right? Not Windows? @JohnSmith54

On 1/2/2020 at 1:57 AM, Jettrail said:

@JohnSmith54so i cleaned my skyrim and it did start completely vanilla, but how do i find out whats responsible now

I meant reinstall Skyrim, to return vanilla files and windows registry entries.

If problem in save file it will CTD even with working game. Game trying to load some info and not found it in Data folder, it will be 100% CTD.

Just yesterday I resolved CTD after adding big mods like AHO, Bruma ects (10 mods). Game crashed after loading my old save that was made without those mods.

I enabled mods one by one and sort them with Loot each time. It left panel I reordered new mods same as in right. Finally game loaded without bugs.

Archived