Fallout 4 dynamic CWSS furniture placement

Fallout 4 dynamic CWSS furniture placement

View File

This is a simple xEdit script to replace some of the vanilla furniture in the game with CWSS furniture - toilets and showers, so you can finally have a shower at your Institute quarters and poop without having to go to the mines every time. Mostly for those who use Advanced Needs, but it's not required. Since it's a dynamic patch, it should be compatible with everything, with all mods adding the supported furniture etc. Tested on vanilla locations and Lexington Interiors. 

Simply put the file into the "Edit Scripts" folder of your FO4Edit installation, load all your plugins, right-click anywhere and select "Apply Script...".

Then choose "Fallout4 - CWSS Dynamic Placement" to run. Run it, enter the name of the plugin you're going to generate. That's it.

In version 1.2 the patch to fix CWSS shower activation has been added. Install it with a mod manager of your choice or simply unpack it to the Data folder of the game. For this to work you need either

1. A new game
  2. Clean install of CWSS (remove it, save, use FallrimTools to clean up the scripts, install again, add the patch, make a patch using the script)
  3. Clean up all CWSS shower scripts from the game, using FallrimTools. If you have no idea how to use it, just start a new game. Sorry. If you have - load a save, add a filter for CraftableShowerScript in FallrimTools filter (the one in the top left corner) and remove the script CWSS_CraftableShowerScriptF and all its instances.

Let me know if something isn't working as expected.

Things to check if it's not working as expected:

It doesn't replace the furniture:

1. Is the furniture actually supported? Check with the list in the first comment
  2. Did you allow FO4Edit to generate references and not skipped that step (it's possible to skip in by holding the Shirt key, IIRC - don't)
  3. Did you forget to enable the generated plugin?

"Access violation" errors

1. Are you using the 64 bit version of FO4Edit? When xEdit developers say it's not really stable, they mean it. Even the 32-bit version is kinda wonky, and the 64-bit version seems to be broken IME in many ways.

The script itself released under the BSD license. Meaning - do whatever you want, but if you redistribute it or your own work based on it - crediting the original author is appreciated.

The CWSS patch is not for redistribution.  According to the original CWSS permission, modification or redistribution of its content require author's permission. I have a permission to redistribute the modified copy with the patcher, but that's all. So please don't.

I haven't tested this with CWSS 3. You certainly can't use the patch provided. Hopefully it works w/o it, if it's not - let me know.

WARNING: the script breaks PreVis so you'll need mods to recover it.

First - Boston FPS Fix - aka BostonDT PreVis-PreCombine for exteriors.

Seconds - Previs Repair Pack for interiors. Download the Interiors version, which is complete, unlike the one for exteriors, and you don't need it for now, thanks to Boston FPS fix which also has patches for some other mods.

Place them at the very bottom of your LO. If you use Smashed Patch, Previs Repair pack goes below it.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    11/30/2019
  • Category
  • Requires
    CWSS Redux, FO4Edit

So far the following types of furniture are supported:

Vault and Institute toilets, and the PlayerHouse_Ruin_Toilet01 (it's actually a clean one, not damaged).

Institute showers. 

Chemical shower

If you have an idea what else could be replaced - write a comment, but please be more specific. It would be nice having some screenshots, names of the location with the furniture to test and at least some description of what it could be replaced with.

If you have any problems with processing your load order - don't hesitate to file in the report, just please attach the FO4Edit log. Use the "spoiler" tag to include all messages  FO4Edit generated.

1 hour ago, snarfies said:

What a great idea!

Have you looked into zEdit at all?  zEdit has a patching framework, and I use it with pra's scripts to auto-build VIS-G tags, AWKCRrifier, and Workbench Organizer (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33858).  It's be awesome if a "CWSSifier" could be added as well!

I did. And using it would be a bad idea. zEdit's patching framework would require me to iterate through all those REFR records in the game, and there are many thousands of them at least. This is simply how UPF works - you have to specify the types of records you need to process and then filter out those you don't need. In order to do this you need to iterate over all of them. Just think of it - to iterate over every item placed in the game. And because by default zEdit does not process references (it "cheats" this way to make it load times look better compared to xEdit), I'd also have to iterate over all cells too.

This script only iterates through all REFR records to the items it needs to replace, like ~10-20 of them for every item, and then it iterates over the cells referring to them. That's why it takes less then 30 seconds to complete - the zEdit/UPF implementation would take ~30 minutes at least for the same load order.

In addition to this, this script should not have problems with the load order having more than 255 plugins - it only adds masters for the mods actually changing those cells with supported items. zEdit doesn't support more than 255 plugins, and it never will

And even while I could in theory use "raw" zEdit scripts w/o UPF, the plugin limit would still be there, plus the lack of default reference processing would mean all users would have to manually generate them every time before running the script - and unlike xEdit, zEdit doesn't have the references cache. This means users would have to regenerate references every time they want to run the script - meaning waiting for ~10 minutes every time. This is simply unacceptable.

Next, zEdit loads its plugins at startup, and in order to reload your code, you have to restart zEdit over and over again. This is simply not fun at all. xEdit loads my code every time I run the script.

So I just see zero reasons to use zEdit here, aside from the "all cool kids use it".

I wonder, could you also make a patch like this for BYOP? I used to use CWSS with great success, but the recent updates (since July basically), CWSS and Get Dirty no longer work well together. My player character won't loose the dirt shader, only dirt effect within Pipboy. For that reason I now use BYOP.

Could you please make a patch like this one? It may make things a lot easier :)

4 hours ago, akbaa said:

I wonder, could you also make a patch like this for BYOP? I used to use CWSS with great success, but the recent updates (since July basically), CWSS and Get Dirty no longer work well together. My player character won't loose the dirt shader, only dirt effect within Pipboy. For that reason I now use BYOP.

Okay, "Build Your Own Pool", I've got it.

I don't think it would be a problem, aside from the fact that I've never used it and I don't have a slightest idea what kinds of furniture could be replaced. You see, in order for this to work it's necessary to find an item in the vanilla game and have a replacement for it in the mod that matches its looks and geometry.  This is the hardest part since it includes going through the game to search for items to be replaced. BYOP apparently includes the Institute shower, finding others would include some legwork... okay, fingerwork.

So as I said in the first comment here, if you can point me in some direction and say "this (screenshot or the exact location) could be replaced by that (a short description)" - go ahead.

But in general the same technique and basically the same code could be used to replace anything in the game with just anything.

8 minutes ago, minaselda said:

I have installed the mod according to your instruction , then in the game  i checked the institute shower which has been changed to cwss type and I pressed the "use" button but notihng happened.

Okay, I'll check it out then.

Okay, @minaselda and everyone, it turns out that the author of CWSS has blocked this on purpose - the script checks whenever the shower has been placed by a workbench for whatever BS reason. So in the next version I'm dropping CWSS showers support and adding BYOP showers instead. I guess I'll also make CWSS  completely optional then - since only the CWSS toilets are used, and those are of no use for anything but AN, the AN toilets could just do the job.

2 hours ago, phillout said:

Okay, @minaselda and everyone, it turns out that the author of CWSS has blocked this on purpose - the script checks whenever the shower has been placed by a workbench for whatever BS reason. So in the next version I'm dropping CWSS showers support and adding BYOP showers instead. I guess I'll also make CWSS  completely optional then - since only the CWSS toilets are used, and those are of no use for anything but AN, the AN toilets could just do the job.

I can confirm I do not block the toilets from Advanced Needs 2 in any way, so you should have no problems pulling them in.

And its awesome to see you found a solution to this! Truly! The thought of doing this in papyrus made my eyeballs melt, like Id just looked into the Ark of the Covenant or something.

3 hours ago, Flashy (JoeR) said:

I can confirm I do not block the toilets from Advanced Needs 2 in any way, so you should have no problems pulling them in.

And its awesome to see you found a solution to this! Truly! The thought of doing this in papyrus made my eyeballs melt, like Id just looked into the Ark of the Covenant or something.

Not a complete solution yet, since I'm still to solve this problem.

For now the invalidation of PreVis simply breaks those locations that are modded by other mods in the load order and processed by the script then. Like if you have "Faction Housing Overhaul - Institute Director's Quarters" in the load order and then change refrs there by the script, the whole location is completely screwed - everything but NPCs and a few other objects is invisible. This goddamn game simply isn't supposed to be moddable by anything but the official CK and even then it's a PITA and tends to break a lot, causing massive flickering if you have cell conflicts - something that wasn't an issue in Skyrim, and we thought LargeRefs were bad, ahahah. Fixing this will take time and quite a few experiments, but it's a good challenge.

I guess it means in the end I'll know more about FO4 modding than I originally intended.

So I found the solution to the problem of CWSS showers not being activated - you need to install a patch from the 1.2 release and then you have to either start new game, make a clean install of CWSS or follow the procedure described in the download section. 

I wanted to release the version with BYOP support and a direct AN support this weekend, but BYOP turned out to be more of a PITA than I originally expected. 

The problem of broken PreVis still remains. I'll figure something out later, when I have more time.

What about appending the existing toilets and showers with CWSS keywords and scripts as an overwrite plugin rather than replacing the actual placed object? That would preserve the precombines. I don't know if it would actually work though, since the CWSS mod used new toilets rather than editing existing ones, I assume they might have done that for a reason. Just spitballing here though.

33 minutes ago, Destynova99 said:

What about appending the existing toilets and showers with CWSS keywords and scripts as an overwrite plugin rather than replacing the actual placed object? That would preserve the precombines. I don't know if it would actually work though, since the CWSS mod used new toilets rather than editing existing ones, I assume they might have done that for a reason. Just spitballing here though.

I can't add keywords and scripts to the references, and I can't add them to static objects either. Some of the vanilla objects are not statics (the Institute Shower is a "door"), so this would be really messy. No, the only solution I can see is actually fixing the PreVis data by learning its details and hacking it to make the records valid again, since the NIF itself should be fine, considering that the CWSS amenities have exactly the same geometry as the vanilla objects. Nothing is impossible given some time.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

CWSS activation patch.zip causes Infinite loading at the start of new game (unless you wait a couple of minutes and press E) and keeps me from being able to start that game. When the opening cut scene ends it takes me right back to the main menu. The Xedit script works but doesn't seem to replace all vanilla objects in the base game like the shower and sink in the player house at the beginning, but did the toilet.