Tentacle pit/plant feasibility?

lindazana

I've had this idea for a fairly long time now, but I'm unsure of the feasibility of it. A major drawback for Sexbound is every race requires custom animations for sex, which requires permissions and sprite artwork/editing. What I had in mind, was a creature, or possibly a forced interaction node (is that possible?) that on contact initiates a special animation. it could use the Sexbound paralyze/pin script to keep the player from moving, while the lower half of the player sprite is obscured by the plant/pit sprite. From there, already-existing emotes and arm-flailing can be used, without need of custom animations. 

This would allow for a more natural feeling integration into the game for sexy stuff, without needing to use a special bow, or be downed by the defeat mod. It would also let some custom races get some (potentially forced) love. The exact effects the plant/pit does could vary wildly, or even be customizable, anything from nothing but animation and delay, to health drain during, to different debuffs after.

24 minutes ago, lindazana said:

I've had this idea for a fairly long time now, but I'm unsure of the feasibility of it. A major drawback for Sexbound is every race requires custom animations for sex, which requires permissions and sprite artwork/editing. What I had in mind, was a creature, or possibly a forced interaction node (is that possible?) that on contact initiates a special animation. it could use the Sexbound paralyze/pin script to keep the player from moving, while the lower half of the player sprite is obscured by the plant/pit sprite. From there, already-existing emotes and arm-flailing can be used, without need of custom animations. 

This would allow for a more natural feeling integration into the game for sexy stuff, without needing to use a special bow, or be downed by the defeat mod. It would also let some custom races get some (potentially forced) love. The exact effects the plant/pit does could vary wildly, or even be customizable, anything from nothing but animation and delay, to health drain during, to different debuffs after.

Hmm. So, what you're saying is; Starbound Vore mod. But for Sexbound, without Sexbound. Uh...

--So, lemme go over this again, taking some time rebate these points:

This major drawback you mentioned is both a safety mechanism (Requires someone to willingly work on it, and hopefully dissuades modder's races that no involvement in it from partaking it), and also a way to better utilize our very few pixels per characters very wisely. Why would we avoid doing only code work and having the species just "work"? Well, like i said...

Not everyone likes being part of the orgy. If a race creator makes their race and is solemn on refusing adult content, and we do it anyway, the few who are really bothered will push back hard. It's against Steam's ToS for modding to have mods purposefully make the game unplayable when other mods are involved, but does not include third-party mods, like ours. So they're allowed to, lets say, crash the game or brick people's characters over this.

Onto the next; yes, a creature AND a forced interaction node are both possible. Like i mentioned, the Starbound vore mod does it. As for being customizable... dunno about that one. There could be settings in the mod, but overall, what's written down doesn't change mid run-time. If the status effect tells it to health-drain, it drains health.

--My opinion is that; over all, it's something i'd rather actually be implemented WITH sexbound in mind, than just slapping on the name "Sexbound" like a "seal of approval" sticker even though it doesn't use the API. There is already the tentacle plant mod, and while it is not quite there, i don't see why interactions like this would avoid Sexbound and not just be executed with the existing framework, instead of using Vanilla-parts and methods, and getting possible bad attention to the mod even if it doesn't use any direct features.

On the same note, you're thinking of a simple "Venus man-trap" or "Quicksand with added tentacles" event, then those don't even require mention with Sexbound if you don't plan to make it a bit more rowdy in its implementation. This kind of event, or naturally spawning trap aren't particular and already exist in minor ways; Elithian Races adds in Quick-sand that can contain ravenous sandworms under them, thus making it a trap, and even Frackin' Universe implements some man-hunter plants that disguise almost as a prop in Jungle/Tropical planets while releasing transparent gas that wouldn't be obvious right away if not for the sound effect tied to it.

I hadn't thought about people being upset if their race assets weren't touched. That would be like being pissed at sexlab for existing because your custom skyrim race might be used in it by a super small percentage of players. And, in my mind I imagined it as linking with sexbound. It has the mechanics, scripts, UI, it just used a animation that could get away with being less detailed, with the lower body hidden and left to the imagination. ....I'll be honest, I haven't the slightest clue of how to actually make a mod, and my art skills are laughable at best. I'm unfortunately one of those people that are best used for ideas and minor/tedious editing of stuff. I'm more of just pointing out possibilities for those talented people with the skill to take and use as they wish.

Archived