Custom Hair and Make-up on NPCs (Tutorial)

Put Custom Hair on Skyrim NPCs

The past week or so I have noticed a few people trying to learn how to change the appearance on NPCs for there game, So this is one way to do it, it is very simple and straight forward, keep in mind if you already have a mod changing appearances then adding another could conflict. In the end this is Loverslab and the goal is to make your NPC "fuckable" :D Appearance wise anyway!

I will make a extreme change to skin color on this tutorial just to show how far you can go in making changes, but everything here will be simple changes to get new modders started.

Before opening up the CK go to your Skyrim/Data folder, the go to Textures/Actors/Characters/character assets folder and drag the Tintmask file out to your desktop (This is so you can apply makeup to the NPC in the CK, you will put this file back in once we are done)

There are a few ways to accomplish this, this is a simple way if you are just starting out.

If you want to change the hair only, then Skip to Step 7

Step 1 For this Tutorial I will use KS Hairdo's

53399511_DesktopScreenshot2019_06.02-11_15_37_50.png.906bcd93960d81f7f37465b240277cdf.png

Make sure you choose the KS hairdo's ESM for a master

Step 2 Choose the NPC that you want to change (For this I made a duplicate if Atub because I have already changed all the NPCs in my game)

1021857830_DesktopScreenshot2019_06.02-11_18_59_12.png.1fe8f408cb5f3d245b8afd1e866f2c31.png

You do not need to make a duplicate, just choose the NPC you want to chance and double click to open up the file for the NPC

Step 3

1534513378_DesktopScreenshot2019_06.02-11_19_30_21.png.2461d8991d31dbd561ae8901f1874fbb.png

Once you have opened up the NPC file, click the Full checkbox at the bottom of the window, if you get a error, just click "Yes to All

Then in this window click the "Character Gen Tab"

Step 4

563775750_DesktopScreenshot2019_06.02-11_20_07_26.png.5a6833a01bba8348416f6503fb091f08.png

While we are here lets change her outfit, so I personally do not like to hoods and helmets on the NPC in my game so lets chose the "Inventory" tab, then click the default outfit dropdown and change the outfit to:

623811381_DesktopScreenshot2019_06.02-11_21_08_34.png.ab25889e5521be156a55c74f56e0e6a3.png

Now to see the outfit you choose change in the render window that shows the NPC you will need to click the full box at the bottom of the window again

Step 5

919279270_DesktopScreenshot2019_06.02-11_21_31_04.png.ff26bd5e6ee7269f067d42aeb873f861.png

Now we want to go back to the "Character Gen Tab", in the Face Tint Layers Window click on Skin tone, The black Arrow shows you where you can change the presets, or if you want to you can chose a custom color(For this I will go pink) Remember that one you choose the color(which is optional to even change the color) you have to click the Full box again at the bottom of the window  to see the changes in the render window.

Step 6

293761247_DesktopScreenshot2019_06.02-11_26_37_20.png.6a4b32d010d5c01ac835b1d899bb53aa.png

As you can see in the list there are many things you can change:

To remove dirt from the face Click on FemaleHeadDirt_01, 02and 03 and change the color to "ColorAverage"

For this I will also click on FemaleHead_Cheeks and Cheeks2 and change the color to "ColorAverage" to remove the black from the cheeks

Will also click on FemaleHeadNord_Lips and put some Black lipstick on

Finally I will click on FemaleNordEyeLinerStyle_01 and change the Eye liner to black

(On any of these color changes you can choose to leave them all vanilla, or change the colors of different things to any colors you choose)

Then Click the "Full" checkbox again at the bottom of the window to see the changes in the render window

Step 7

1247895522_DesktopScreenshot2019_06.02-11_27_49_96.png.4617272f7086a5cc304efe4f5e48c8d1.png

We now have the base of what was chosen for changes in the NPC appearance, now its time to add the hair (Keep om mind if all you wanted to do is the hair and no other changes you can skip the steps of changing Skintone, lip color ECT.

As you can see in the above image, circled in black, click on the "Hair" in the Base Head Parts window. then go to the dropdown menu below, in the lower area I have circled and choose the hairstyle you want. (If you do not see the hair from KS or whatever other mod you have chosen, it is because you didnt check it to open as a master file when you started)

Once you have chosen the hair you want click the Full box at the bottom of the window again to see the changes

Step 8

1392723559_DesktopScreenshot2019_06.02-11_28_14_69.png.ad837e6bd86dadd40bec8a5287a4a79b.png

Now that we have everything done, click the "OK" button at the bottom left of the window

Step 9

613463712_DesktopScreenshot2019_06.02-11_29_29_06.png.a016c35824053283d4221b3e0489c4b1.png

This step is very important, if you donot do this step you will have the "Black Face Bug" on the NPC you have made changes too

Click on the NPC you have made changes too to highlight the name

Then hit CTRL+F4 and you will see a box pop up, Click Yes to Export face gen data for all selected NPCs

Once it exports the data Click ok and Save your file, If you are creating a new file it will ask you to name it

Now put your Tintmask File back into Textures/Actors/Characters/character assets

Now lets pop into the game to see what the changes look like:

1978396896_ElderScrollsVSkyrimScreenshot2019_06.02-11_53_10_74.thumb.png.7c4569c1d15b0364a1fbe75c03b23a84.png

You should specify that this is for Skyrim. It's a different process with other games. Good tutorial though! :thumbsup:

Edit: You can load multiple masters for even more customization. Also, I sometimes replace textures or add new ones with PS/Gimp and the CK or X-edit. Other things you can change are their default weapon, clothing/armor, skills, scale, A.I. packages, and some other things. I made a duplicate of some characters that die and placed them as followers elsewhere in the game.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

You should specify that this is for Skyrim. It's a different process with other games. Good tutorial though! :thumbsup:

Edit: You can load multiple masters for even more customization. Also, I sometimes replace textures or add new ones with PS/Gimp and the CK or X-edit. Other things you can change are their default weapon, clothing/armor, skills, scale, A.I. packages, and some other things. I made a duplicate of some characters that die and placed them as followers elsewhere in the game.

I did say " Skyrim NPCs" at the very top of the page

I might do one later on that is more advanced, but did this for those just starting out to keep it simple

The one I have had in my game now for about a year changed every single NPC in the game, including bandits, warlock ect. Has 11 master files lol

4 minutes ago, -Caden- said:

I did say " Skyrim NPCs" at the very top of the page

I might do one later on that is more advanced, but did this for those just starting out to keep it simple

The one I have had in my game now for about a year changed every single NPC in the game, including bandits, warlock ect. Has 11 master files lol

And you never released it? I'm hurt.

I'm working on my dead npc revival mod. It will bring back some dead npcs as marriable followers like Mirabelle, Salma, and Keeper Carcette. I aim to bring them all back in one way or another. The hard part is hiding them since I don't know how to write the script for spawning them when their counterpart "dies".

2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

And you never released it? I'm hurt.

I'm working on my dead npc revival mod. It will bring back some dead npcs as marriable followers like Mirabelle, Salma, and Keeper Carcette. I aim to bring them all back in one way or another. The hard part is hiding them since I don't know how to write the script for spawning them when their counterpart "dies".

Haha I never released for a few reasons, the main reason is I used the ESP file from HelloSanta to change all the NPCs and save the changes in that ESP, so it wouldn't be my esp to release

Sounds like a great Idea, there must be a script already in the vanilla game to do that since there are a few NPCs that comeback as ghost for a scene

1 hour ago, -Caden- said:

Sounds like a great Idea, there must be a script already in the vanilla game to do that since there are a few NPCs that comeback as ghost for a scene

Thanks.., but I don't know if those are triggered when they die or if they just show up when you enter a room or something, so I'm not sure what to look for. I'll have to do some studying I guess. These mods already exist I just wanted to do my version or whatever. I can do some things with them, but I really want to add more lines to their dialogue kinda like a little story of what happened to them since you don't see them die. What are you working on?

2 hours ago, -Caden- said:

Haha I never released for a few reasons, the main reason is I used the ESP file from HelloSanta to change all the NPCs and save the changes in that ESP, so it wouldn't be my esp to release

I do that a lot, make changes in the mod esp. It's a bad habit I need to break because later I might need those in another esp for my mod and then I gotta figure out how to get my changes outta there without fubar-ing everything. That's actually what I had to do with the mod I'm working on.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived