Argh Multiplayer

metavirus

I've been growing more worried over the last year or two about the future of deep single-player gaming.  Anyone fear that we're all gonna be thrown into a hellscape of all-MMO, all-PVP, no-Mod gaming run by compromised graphics (cuz online, duh!) and 11-yo kiddiebombers screaming FAG!! as they frag your spawnpoint? I swear to gawd, they're gonna make my toothbrush app multiplayer someday - growl.  Do you share my fear?  Is there a future for TOS/Fallout-type games??  Argle bargle...

59 minutes ago, metavirus said:

I've been growing more worried over the last year or two about the future of deep single-player gaming.  Anyone fear that we're all gonna be thrown into a hellscape of all-MMO, all-PVP, no-Mod gaming run by compromised graphics (cuz online, duh!) and 11-yo kiddiebombers screaming FAG!! as they frag your spawnpoint? I swear to gawd, they're gonna make my toothbrush app multiplayer someday - growl.  Do you share my fear?  Is there a future for TOS/Fallout-type games??  Argle bargle...

I feel you, brah. I just hope things will even out in the future. Too many games that I really like require other players, but every time I am with another player, I have to rush and do stuff "Quick! Quick!", or "get points!", and I'd rather explore the environment, listen to the soundtrack and see the enemies up close while stealthing around. It feels like their game, which I am forced to play with them, even though I bought it too...

1 hour ago, winny257 said:

a game based only on multiplayer I do not buy, as simple is that! :classic_wink:
no matter if it's good, I do not care, I want to experience my own adventure, without any compulsions the one MMO bring with themselves!

Yea!

The same here.

No matter how bad a game itself is, nothing can ruin my day like annoying 12year kiddos.

I don´t buy anything, that has no single player mode.

33 minutes ago, SirDuke said:

Yea!

The same here.

No matter how bad a game itself is, nothing can ruin my day like annoying 12year kiddos.

I don´t buy anything, that has no single player mode.

It's not the only reason I hate MMOs!
you want a new sword, pay for it, you want a better armor, pay for it, the chain is infinite.
I have four years played a MMORPG, and I have not achieved much, then come newcomers with a lot of money, who pay for everything!
no chance to play against such people let alone to win. :classic_wink:

29 minutes ago, winny257 said:

It's not the only reason I hate MMOs!
you want a new sword, pay for it, you want a better armor, pay for it, the chain is infinite.
I have four years played a MMORPG, and I have not achieved much, then come newcomers with a lot of money, who pay for everything!
no chance to play against such people let alone to win. :classic_wink:

exactly!  and not only that, there's the gap in who has time to obsessively play for 5000 hours of time on a map, find every spawn point and nuke every casual player anytime they play!  starcraft was the only game that did matchmaking pretty well

MMO games used to be fun- I played them for years, then came pay to win (which they all do now even if they deny it), shortly followed by the influx of rich people with money to burn and a small cock as well as the 12 year old kids with daddy's credit card.

MMO games are broken now and not something I'll revisit.

Not really.

Some of the games that I'm most interested in playing that were released this year (Resident Evil 2, Backbone Prologue, Yakuza Kiwami 1, YiiK,, Senran Kagura Burst Renewal, Phoenix Wright Trilogy, Devil May Cry 5, Sekiro, Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists, RemiLore) and upcoming titles (Backbone proper, Freedom Planet 2, Yakuza Kiwami 2) are all single player focused and only two of those have an optional co-op or versus mode which doesn't play into so much as an online Achievement.

I don't even buy games that are multiplayer only and have no bots or skirmish mode with the AI. I'm not saying they're complete and utter trash, I would love to play Battlefield 1 multiplayer with bots. I don't have the patience for some fucking spastic who runs through open field and complains about getting sniped, or someone who can't even speak English and says "fak u gay mom votban cheter".

Multiplayer used to be fun. Then it took an arrow to the knee. :classic_biggrin:

"Online multiplayer" is another term for "live services games." The only reason companies do it is because it opens the door for loot boxes and microtransactions. If a game is single-player and offline, it's a lot harder to extort more money. They'll still try by offering paid exclusive items and cosmetics, unlock packages, etc. Or putting in grind walls with the "option" to use microtransactions to get buy them. But at least in offline games we have the option of using trainers or other "cheats" to bypass such blatant extortion. It really hurts efforts to kill such practices that people still pay for such things, though.

As for people turning into aggressive assholes online, that's a problem everywhere. They think they're anonymous and so let their worst sides out. Too many of them are also hooked into sociopathic media, making it ridiculously easy to find out who they really are by simply looking them up on FB, Twitter, Instagram, or the like. Take away that veil of anonymity, post their activities to their friends and relatives using burner accounts, and the problem solves itself. ?

2 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Multiplayer used to be fun. Then it took an arrow to the knee. :classic_biggrin:

"Online multiplayer" is another term for "live services games." The only reason companies do it is because it opens the door for loot boxes and microtransactions. If a game is single-player and offline, it's a lot harder to extort more money. They'll still try by offering paid exclusive items and cosmetics, unlock packages, etc. Or putting in grind walls with the "option" to use microtransactions to get buy them. But at least in offline games we have the option of using trainers or other "cheats" to bypass such blatant extortion. It really hurts efforts to kill such practices that people still pay for such things, though.

As for people turning into aggressive assholes online, that's a problem everywhere. They think they're anonymous and so let their worst sides out. Too many of them are also hooked into sociopathic media, making it ridiculously easy to find out who they really are by simply looking them up on FB, Twitter, Instagram, or the like. Take away that veil of anonymity, post their activities to their friends and relatives using burner accounts, and the problem solves itself. ?

In 2001 I played multiplayer rune, quake and unreal. Online Multiplayer (each session) left you with friendly chats, friendly people and many hours of laughter and good times. Especially the Rune community was awesome. Often I'd find players inviting me, so they could show attack combo's, we'd talk strategies, then try them out on each other. More often than not, these were complete strangers from other countries.. (which was far more awesome to be able to communicate with than these days due to the novelty of the technology (Trillian/Irc/mIrc/Roger Wilco (google it)).

New players were welcomed, often 'spared' and given leeway so they could get used to the game.

Biological science has proven, through behavioral experimentation and lots of observation of rats, that 'fair play' is a biological imperative. For instance, the big rats that could easily 'win' during wrestling matches (rats have friendly wrestling matches) would let smaller rats win at certain times. Through experimentation they found that this was actually a very precise number (1 in 6). Those bigger rats that did not follow this ruleset (there are always exceptions) quickly found that the other rats did not want to play with them, sometimes they were excised from the 'community' even.

Rats share a lot in common with human biology so their biological drives are actually quite representative (in certain facets, they obviously wildly different from humans) so it's pretty safe to assume at this point that humans also have some sort of biological imperative to play fair.

The fact that nobody these days likes to enjoy friendly matches (it's all I fucked your mother last night blah die blah) worries me greatly. It shows how much we are moving away from our biology (e.g. the gender identity crisis) by denying it (how arrogant are we?). I think this is just a tip of the iceberg of a sort of rot that's seeping into our society, where any form of respect or compassion for other people is simply rotting away.

The the ONLY thing you learn from other player nowadays is:

"HAHA fucking noob! Can´t even survive two minutes,, SOB!"

...And the rest of thet evening, you´ll spend by being ganked.

Not much to learn by that...

On 5/2/2019 at 1:16 PM, Reginald_001 said:

The fact that nobody these days likes to enjoy friendly matches (it's all I fucked your mother last night blah die blah) worries me greatly. It shows how much we are moving away from our biology (e.g. the gender identity crisis) by denying it (how arrogant are we?). I think this is just a tip of the iceberg of a sort of rot that's seeping into our society, where any form of respect or compassion for other people is simply rotting away.

I noticed Soul Calibur 6 and Smash Bros Ultimate only allow people to communicate in selection of automated replies. Probably because most of the "conversations" people were having in fighting games either involving hurling frat boyz insults similar to what you mentioned or throwing a hissy fit that some strategy you're using because they are too dumb to defend against it is totally unfair (Me for example: if you give me the opportunity to use a grapple on you I'm going to take it every time. I don't care how much you kick and scream that you think throws are cheap).

During my MMO days I used to seek out a solid guild and stick with it. That usually filtered out most of the dealing with the rude douchebags you got when pugging. Except in PVP, in which case you either learned to love your block list or get driven insane.

I mainly stick with single player these days. Partially because I like to mod my games, which is impossible to do in any meaningful way in a dedicated multiplayer game since you have to do that stupid dealing with the tastes of other players thing?

On 5/2/2019 at 4:39 PM, SirDuke said:

...And the rest of thet evening, you´ll spend by being ganked.

Not much to learn by that...

When I was playing MMOs I was stuck with friends that insisted on playing PvP servers (servers were players from other factions could attack you whenever they wanted). Why those friends found the idea of being a server were you could find yourself being killed by some douchebag 30 levels higher than you over and over (rendering your game unplayable if you had to quest in that spot until the douche grew bored of you) fun is still completely lost on me. The only time I found it enjoyable is when the ganker attacking me realized they got in over their head and I butchered them. A lot of SWOTOR gankers found out the hard way my crafting mat gatherer is also my fully geared PvP arena tank.

Archived