Severe CTD issues in scrap/build mode

cossayos

After I reinstalled the game from scratch, I have severe issues with scrap/build mode. I can't build anything at all at Sanctuary, since entering build mode results in an immediate freeze/crash. Similar issues at Starlight. Cleaning the yard results in a crash after 3 or four items. The line of trees results in an immediate crash.

Game runs pretty fluidly otherwise, apart from the occasional CTD that's been with me since day 1.

Here's my load order. I'm running all the DLCs, since they're not in the list.

# This file is used by the game to keep track of your downloaded content.
# Please do not modify this file.
*SpringCleaning.esm
*SimSettlements.esm
*AAF.esm
*Devious Devices.esm
*Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
*UncappedSettlementSurplus.esp
*HidePipboy.esp
*CBBE.esp
*UniqueMaleFollowersNoHancock.esp
*UniqueMalePlayerAndFollowersDLCNoHancock.esp
*UniqueMalePlayerAndFollowersDLC.esp
*UniqueMalePlayerAndFollowers.esp
*UniqueMalePlayer.esp
*UniqueMaleFollowersDLCNoHancock.esp
*UniqueFemalePlayer.esp
*UniqueMaleFollowers.esp
*UniqueFemalePlayerAndFollowersNoHancock.esp
*UniqueFemalePlayerAndFollowersDLC.esp
*UniqueFemalePlayerAndFollowers.esp
*UniqueFemaleFollowers.esp
*UniqueMaleFollowersDLC.esp
*UniqueMalePlayerAndFollowersNoHancock.esp
*UniqueFemalePlayerAndFollowersDLCNoHancock.esp
*Crimsomrider's 1950s Feminine Outfits.esp
*P99.esp
*Insignificant Object Remover.esp
*AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp
*Eli_Armour_Compendium.esp
*BetterSettlers.esp
*BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp
*BetterSettlersNoLollygagging.esp
*Interview.esp
*WhatsYourName.esp
*IcebreakerCDO-Settlements.esp
*SkjAlert_All_DLC.esp
*Altairp's Animal Farm.esp
*Diverse Cats.esp
Rogg DD Items Manager.esp
*FP_FamilyPlanningEnhanced.esp
*LooksMenu.esp
*Crazy_Animations_Gun.esp
*FO4_AnimationsByLeito.esp
*CumNWealth.esp
*Atomic Lust.esp
*SavageCabbage_Animations.esp
*AAF_SEU.esp
*AAF_AutonomyEnhanced.esp
*RSEE_Vol2_AN.esp
*RSEE_Vol2_AN_DLCPatch.esp
*RSEE_Vol3_Karma.esp
*SC_ExpandedScrapList.esp

Just now, cossayos said:

After I reinstalled the game from scratch, I have severe issues with scrap/build mode. I can't build anything at all at Sanctuary, since entering build mode results in an immediate freeze/crash. Similar issues at Starlight. Cleaning the yard results in a crash after 3 or four items. The line of trees results in an immediate crash.

Game runs pretty fluidly otherwise, apart from the occasional CTD that's been with me since day 1.

*SpringCleaning.esm
*SimSettlements.esm
*AAF.esm
*Devious Devices.esm
*HidePipboy.esp
*CBBE.esp
*UniqueMalePlayer.esp
*UniqueFemalePlayer.esp
*UniqueMaleFollowers.esp
*P99.esp
*BetterSettlers.esp
*Interview.esp
*WhatsYourName.esp
*SkjAlert_All_DLC.esp
*Diverse Cats.esp
*LooksMenu.esp
*CumNWealth.esp
*Atomic Lust.esp
*AAF_SEU.esp
*RSEE_Vol2_AN.esp
*RSEE_Vol3_Karma.esp

Verify your files via STEAM........

3 hours ago, cossayos said:

*SpringCleaning.esm
*SimSettlements.esm
*AAF.esm
*Devious Devices.esm
*HidePipboy.esp
*CBBE.esp
*UniqueMalePlayer.esp
*UniqueFemalePlayer.esp
*UniqueMaleFollowers.esp
*P99.esp
*BetterSettlers.esp
*Interview.esp
*WhatsYourName.esp
*SkjAlert_All_DLC.esp
*Diverse Cats.esp
*LooksMenu.esp
*CumNWealth.esp
*Atomic Lust.esp
*AAF_SEU.esp
*RSEE_Vol2_AN.esp
*RSEE_Vol3_Karma.esp

I have never used Spring Cleaning before so not sure how good it works or doesn't. You can try disabling that one and try Scrap Everything. I have that one and am 250 hours into game with no crashes. You can also look at insignificant object remover. It is known to cause ctd issues some times. 

3 hours ago, cossayos said:

It indicates a missing texture, model, or asset, in one of the mods that provides custom workshop items. As the menu loads, it can't find the asset, and it crashes. I've seen this a lot in the beginning while making Reginalds Prefab Shackfest, before I understood the matter fully.

Look towards disabling any mods in your mod list that have custom workshop items and you'll find the culprit.

16 hours ago, VonHelton said:

Anything with the word "Scrap" in it has GOT to go.........

Previously it ran perfectly fine with scrap everything.

But last fall, after one of the updates a functional game became virtually unplayable, crashing every few seconds. Now I'm back to where the game itself runs smoothly again in most instances, but I stumbled into this workshop crashes. Sometimes it suffices to hit the V key for an instant crash to happen. Sometimes I can scrap two or three items before crashing. Workshop mode has never been a perfectly stable experience for me, but this is something I never encountered before.

As for workshop mods, there's only sim settlements 3in1 and Altairps animal farm. Both have been working before. Might be the files got corrupted on the way, so I'm starting with removing and reinstalling the particular files.

scrap mods need to be lowest in your load order if not you will get allot of problems also keep in mind these mods breaks precombines in game this means that of your scrapping stuff not intended to be scrapped you will get severe fps issues also artifacts .. it looks like spring cleaning is an esm file usually scrap mods are esp files what does the author say how to install this mod ?

insignificant Object Remover.esp why is this mod so high in your list it will have no effect if you put it this high other mods will just readd what this mod was suppose to remove. might as not install it.

16 hours ago, D_ManXX2 said:

scrap mods need to be lowest in your load order

Yeah, they are. Always have been.

Just an addendum. I had some internet downtime yesterday because of maintainance work on our local telephone lines. Now steam believes Fallout 4 isn't even installed. Fine by me. At least I don't get unwarranted updates.

On 4/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, cossayos said:

Yeah, they are. Always have been.

Just an addendum. I had some internet downtime yesterday because of maintainance work on our local telephone lines. Now steam believes Fallout 4 isn't even installed. Fine by me. At least I don't get unwarranted updates.

You can go in to Steam and tell it not to update your game unless you want.

Most people do this cause theres really no reason to update your game unless one of your mods is getting some kind of major update you want and it needs it.

The updates from Bethesda are just stupid creation club shit being added. They update their store but don't care about fixing bugs that were there on day 1 and still exist. Like pretty much every unique vendor for example. Lol

5 hours ago, ijakor said:

try to use the ini version of spring cleaning

the springcleaning.esm file is overwritten in a lot of cases and this leads nowadays more to ctds than the ini settings of the mod.

In the meantime I removed all cleaners from my load order and cleaned the saves with fallrim tools It seems to make things a little bit more stable in the Sanctuary region, but I'm still far from the game experience I was used to. I keep crashing with a much lighter mod load than last year. It seems that one of the updates that happened last fall shot my game for good. Not even a freshly reinstalled vanilla game runs without crashing.

It can't be my hardware either, since FO4 is the only game behaving that way. I also ran hardware monitor and nvidia inspector on my second screen to see if there's some overheating or if something is spiking when the game crashes, but nothing out of the ordinary seems to happen.

Apart from the scrapping issues, the crashes seem to follow a pattern. It seems that it crashes when transitioning between cells. To illustrate this, when leaving vault 111, there are two repeatable crash points before reaching Sanctuary. One at the gate, where we have been admitted to the vault, the other one right before the bridge over the brook. On the other hand, when I climb down the rocky slope to reach the bridge from a different position, no crash is happening. I assume that these are cell borders and it's always as if my player runs into an invisible wall. The screen freezes and after a few seconds, I'm back to desktop.

7 hours ago, walkin said:

You can go in to Steam and tell it not to update your game unless you want.

Most people do this cause theres really no reason to update your game unless one of your mods is getting some kind of major update you want and it needs it.

The updates from Bethesda are just stupid creation club shit being added. They update their store but don't care about fixing bugs that were there on day 1 and still exist. Like pretty much every unique vendor for example. Lol

Yeah, I'm usually doing that also.

I also downloaded older versions of the exes from last year, to see if it makes matters better, but the problem is, I didn't store the mods from back then and many mod creators don't provide older versions of their creations. AAF, Looks Menu, the unofficial patch were all updated in the meantime.

11 minutes ago, cossayos said:

Yeah, I'm usually doing that also.

I also downloaded older versions of the exes from last year, to see if it makes matters better, but the problem is, I didn't store the mods from back then and many mod creators don't provide older versions of their creations. AAF, Looks Menu, the unofficial patch were all updated in the meantime.

I'm using the versions from right before this last update. They are still good. Like I was saying unless something really big changes I wont be updating anytime soon.

I think I might be having a little better success with my set up cause its not real AAF heavy. I have every animation pack but I'm only using SEU and Violate. Once you start messing around with all of them, you definitely open the door for my things to go wrong whereas the basics work just fine. Its not to say you cant load up everything and have a good game, I just think at some point it becomes overkill.  You start grabbing mods that allow for random NPC to start scenes on their own, or you have 3 different versions of prostitution, and 5 ways to surrender, it wouldn't take much for something to happen that would conflict something else that's already going on. Trial and error, its all it boils down to. I had a lot of these same problems when I first started but once you get it, you will literally kick yourself in the ass at how much pain you put yourself through. I know I did. Lol

6 minutes ago, walkin said:

I'm using the versions from right before this last update. They are still good. Like I was saying unless something really big changes I wont be updating anytime soon.

Yeah, the problem are the required mods. I have exes from last july and from october, but I don't have the mods to go with that. The unofficial patch, for example, doesn't work and they don't store older versions. Now I made it my business to store that also in case of a future update.

1 minute ago, cossayos said:

Yeah, the problem are the required mods. I have exes from last july and from october, but I don't have the mods to go with that. The unofficial patch, for example, doesn't work and they don't store older versions. Now I made it my business to store that also in case of a future update.

Yeah that sucks. I used to do the same thing. Just install with Vortex and away you go. I download all them from Nexus manually now and install them myself. I probably already mentioned it before, but I'm sick of the actual game itself-had enough- but I still really enjoy building and creating shit in between other games. I actually spent a few hours 1 night going through 1000's of mods and I grabbed every single one I thought looked cool or I might try later and when I could I grabbed more than 1 version. I literally have close to 15GB of zip files in folders all sorted for my game. If the whole shithouse goes up in flames tomorrow, I'll be good to go. Lol

OK, seems like Bethesda screwed up my game for good.

Yesterday I did a clean reinstall. Even the vanilla game keeps freezing and crashing at certain points. I can't even lay my finger on a reason for that to happen. Sometimes it's when some sound is played, such as discovering Sanctuary or Red Rocket. It also happens when dog is barking there. For a while I was considering my audio drivers to be at fault, but that's not all. It also crashes without fail when I enter one of the trailers outside vault 111 when I pick up some junk there. It may happen at the gate where we have been admitted into the vault area and it may happen at certain points at Sanctuary, which made me believe that cell transitions are at fault.

I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't play this darn game anymore. I played it since day one with a heavy mod load and without any major problems apart from the occasional crash every few hours. But since last october, I consider this game to be virtually unplayable. It's no fun when you're constantly stressed out over crashes happening every few minutes, seconds even.

2 minutes ago, cossayos said:

OK, seems like Bethesda screwed up my game for good.

Yesterday I did a clean reinstall. Even the vanilla game keeps freezing and crashing at certain points. I can't even lay my finger on a reason for that to happen. Sometimes it's when some sound is played, such as discovering Sanctuary or Red Rocket. It also happens when dog is barking there. For a while I was considering my audio drivers to be at fault, but that's not all. It also crashes without fail when I enter one of the trailers outside vault 111 when I pick up some junk there. It may happen at the gate where we have been admitted into the vault area and it may happen at certain points at Sanctuary, which made me believe that cell transitions are at fault.

I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't play this darn game anymore. I played it since day one with a heavy mod load and without any major problems apart from the occasional crash every few hours. But since last october, I consider this game to be virtually unplayable. It's no fun when you're constantly stressed out over crashes happening every few minutes, seconds even.

it depends how you did the full resinstall

1 did you delete the fallout 4 folder?

did you delete the user config files?

old enb filed can cause ctds and are usually overseen . 

3 minutes ago, ijakor said:

it depends how you did the full resinstall

1 did you delete the fallout 4 folder?

did you delete the user config files?

old enb filed can cause ctds and are usually overseen . 

Down to the registry level. Everything has been deleted, folder by folder, file by file, cleaned registry at the end.

1 hour ago, cossayos said:

Nothing as of yet. Totally vanilla. I reinstalled yesterday and wanted to rule out mods as being the reason of my frequent crashes.

Did you check the event log?

Windows Start > Run > Eventvwr

Go to:  Windows Logs > Application > Scroll through the messages and try to find anything related to fallout4.

Go to: Windows Logs > System > Find any crashes or errors in hardware (video or audio) drivers.

Perhaps that will give you a clue?

Archived