[UE4] Feign - An Adult Fantasy RPG [In Development]

Thanks for the demo. So far so good. Well done.

Regarding the Patreon page.

You might have launched your Patreon page too early.

I think you need to give your game a name.

Also, you need to describe your game better. All it says is that it is a adult open world sandbox fantasy RPG. What does adult mean? Sex, nudity, violence, gore, swearing, something that kids won't understand? Open world and and sandbox are generic terms. Explain what open world and sandbox means in your game. Explain what makes your game special.

One main difference between this and other games is sex. So advertise it. Sex sells. Show images and animations. And since the majority of players will be male you need to show the female characters. Not just a bold headed male avatar. Currently there is not much game play so show us the art. If you have concept art show it, the sexier the better. Show some images of the character creation system, not many Indy games have such a system.

Explain what you have already implemented. Tell us what you are planning to implement (but don't promise too much). Tell us about the world. Tell us about the races that inhabit the world. Who are the bad guys? Why are they the bad guys?

Also, you need to do what you do here on loverlab on many other forums, if you have not done so already. For instance, in your game you can play as a Futanari / Shemale, so go to https://www.futanaripalace.com/forumdisplay.php?243-Game-Development and announce that you are making a Futa game. The game could be described as a hentai game, so go to http://www.hongfire.com.

Please try not to look at this as criticism but advice. Have a look how other people are advertising their Hentai RPGs.

CreatorsLab

On 6/30/2019 at 4:10 PM, slaen said:

Also, do you have a link to this Creatorslab thread?  I'd be curious just to dig through and check out some of the ideas since it seems like a lot of similar ground was covered. 

"The CreatorsLab Framework will be a game development framework that is meant to help people create games using the Unreal Engine 4 (UE4).  It will provide code and assets that should be of interest to both regular and adult games, such as good character design capabilities, optimal animation handling, several tools, and streamlining of coding for core game aspects."

The thread was deleted and the development stopped but here is the overview of what they were trying to make:

On 2/10/2019 at 1:52 PM, xaraaji said:

It's been  a year now. Any updates or has CreatorsLab been cancelled?

Is the same team working on it or has it been handed over to other people and given another name?

Can we follow its progress somewhere else? If so, where?

@Grine @CPU @ShadeAnimator @DoctaSax @vinfamy

Reveal hidden contents

Introduction

There comes a time when mad scientists run out of things to try out with their basic chemistry set in their basement, and need a proper lab to start cooking up something real. You can hardly expect them to craft bunsen burners and beakers themselves: it's a waste of time, and can be prohibitive. If you need to learn how to make the tools first, there's a good chance you get stuck on that and never get to making what you really wanted.

It's the same with indie game development. Being good at coding or writing doesn't mean you're good at creating visual assets, or vice versa. And if you want to create a high-quality game, you need a bit of everything and that's a lot to ask of what's often a one-man team.

The CreatorsLab Framework will be a game development framework that is meant to help people create games using the Unreal Engine 4 (UE4). It will provide code and assets that should be of interest to both regular and adult games, such as good character design capabilities, optimal animation handling, several tools, and streamlining of coding for core game aspects.

People Who Have Contributed To Date:

CPU - Project Lead

Vinfamy - Coding Lead

ShadeAnimator - Animation Lead

Grine - World Lead

DoctaSax - Story Lead

TomatoEddie - Audio Lead

darkconsole  - Modeling Lead

Caliente - Modeler

Vioxsis - Modeler

Vader666 - Animator and Modeler

komotor - Animator

SageKri - Modeler

Content Consumer - Coder and Writer

JFraser - Writer

Veniat - Coder

Gnurro - Modeler

EinarrTheRed - Modeler

SlaG Nor - Texturer

Kimy - Coder and Writer

bicobus - Documentation

The Project

The project consists of a framework and a game.

The CreatorsLab Framework includes everything an indie game developer would need to start creating their own RPG game (the list below is to give readers an idea of what we're trying to do, not a final or comprehensive list):

1. Standard systems:

• High-level systems: events, object classes, scripting library, modding support, procedural world generator, physics, post processing, dynamic loading, and performance optimization.
  • Gameplay systems: for character creation, controls, camera, interactive sex, AI, dialogues, quests, inventory, combat, actor values, levelling, time, world interactions, UI, and save/load.

2. Standard assets:

• Customizable rigged character models
  • Basic animations: idles, movement, combat
  • Basic sex animations
  • Basic weapons and armours
  • Basic environment models
  • Basic visual and sound effects
  • Any other assets created by us during the development of the Game.

3. Documentation.

The Game: We're also making a game that uses that framework to both show the framework's capacity and provide a fun game in its own right for players and modders. So far, some work has been done with regards to Story, World, Models, but we welcome everyone's suggestions (but obviously can't always accommodate everyone's ideas).

Both the framework and the game will be free and open source. The game will be free. The framework will be free for non-commercial use.

Screenshots of Some Assets Created During Development So Far:

Attached below. Note that all of them are from the World, Modeling and Animation guys (their names are credited with each picture in the file name) - Plenty of work has been done that can't be shown visually (yet).

Face_Caliente.thumb.jpg.fe4bf0a5564723d78a7db70fdba800d9.jpg.e123f72208d662e475cb53326c1a1a61.jpg

Hair_Caliente.jpg.1932b5298dce32136edba6d19af8ebc3.jpg.397bea0000e003751e13a68490c96dd4.jpg

Bodies_Caliente.jpg.e5c015bee72746510a294b545aacbf80.jpg.06d1e40b1d8baf9873d935829944a8eb.jpg

BodyTexture_SlagNor.jpg.2b96784c4b497c2cc50ef561499a8c23.jpg.4b84adf5204ecec6ebf48e7cb2eb4a12.jpg

Sweater_SageKri.jpg.4fb3404a3954c10c111790b88beb9318.jpg.ec2f2298c0f3e08f632dc50c3ba7f738.jpg

Dress_SageKri.jpg.95258f48ba52c0fe0e95c114754ee355.jpg.a605ad9543f35866a2e0d3bc4846288d.jpg

OralLesbian_Komotor.jpg.e20618f52a0be923a21c74a95d153fe1.jpg.d7c4aaa11a7ac037e39a9f0fdc9a6238.jpg

Missionary_Vader.jpg.71d35ff6126c063b910fcfb70f222b1e.jpg.7c5b501dcdd0da2812fd2a42991d2a87.jpg

Lamp_Gnurro.jpg.19f7e88e12716fcc00935696cf0796ab.jpg.9d69fdb86505595914a61538142d5bd3.jpg

Tables_Vioxsis.jpg.41a679f841a2c9fed99e9c4b18672cb3.jpg.28094458a0a1f8a6c9ed3bbf1af63467.jpg

Counter_Vioxsis.thumb.jpg.74c74de3ab86f831fab02f5732d79acd.jpg.7abc6234c02b432c0ed5e673450d80cf.jpg

IslandCloseup_Grine.thumb.jpg.36a12317772f2cad6e7fac2b0d3f512e.jpg.e7a6608f0ac6f33732203658826b5ae5.jpg

Island_Grine.jpg.a46618e52c7e6393208ce44448e86af8.jpg.5a2814f79838d2b79aeffc3e3108b336.jpg

Magic System

Below is a suggestion I made on the CreatorsLab Framework thread. The idea was that players could create their own magic spells. There were many good ideas from many people on that tread so I manage to save some pages after it was deleted by doing some Google magic :) .

Spoiler

On 11/27/2017 at 10:39 PM, xaraaji said:
I added more detail to my spell crafting idea (with diagrams :grin:). I also got rid of the number crunching for the player. 

Spell crafting

Node types (sample)

• Select an effect
    • An effect can be elements (fire, earth, water, electricity), poison (acid), healing, summon, ....
  • Effect type
    • Effect type is a subcategory of the effect. For instance the effect type of summoning would be the thing that you want to summon. The effect type of poison could be paralysis or just damage over time.
  • Select a target
    • A target can be oneself, missile, ground, area, ...
  •  Target type
    • Target type is a subcategory of a target. For instance Ground could have the subcategory select location or the surrounding ground area from where the effect is triggered. For missile it might be single, fan or surrounding area.
  •  Trigger
    • Some effect can have a trigger. For instance a summon effect could be used as a trap. A trigger could be touch,  proximity, on spell impact or maybe by an event (like falling or touching certain elements like water).
  • Damage type
    • Damage type can be direct damage, or damage over time. For instance the fireball might do lots of damage once hit but it might also have a burning effect with damages over time.

Example

A player just defeated a tentacle monster and gained a new summoning spell. The spell lets them summon a tentacle monster. Once summoned the monster uses its tentacles to lash out and grab at enemy NPCs.

The player decides to make a new spell.

1653883775_tentacletrap.png.3e6b8d5bf2f9f1de0523194a44bd3a97.png

(I just took some images from the web and mash them together for a quick example)

1. The only thing visible on the spell maker screen is an empty effects node. The player selects summoning from the pull down list of the effect node.
  2. Suddenly, to the right of the effect node appears the effect type node. TentacleMonster01 is selected from the pull down list of the effect type node.
  3. To the right of the effect type node appears the target node. Most options are removed from the pull down menu and only options that work with the effect type appear. The player selects ground.
  4. The target type node appears and location is picked. If the player decided to stop here the spell would be identical to the one they looted.
  5. A semi transparent trigger nodes appears next to the target type node. The player selects the trigger node. The node becomes completely visible. From the trigger node proximity is selected. This means that after casting the spell onto a selected area on the ground nothing happens. Only once an enemy approaches the area will the summon trigger.
  6. Next to the trigger a semi transparent effect node appears. The player selects it and it becomes completely visible. Poison is selected as the effect, paralysis as the effect type, area as the target and surrounding as the target type. So now when summon is triggered the tentacle monster sprouts out of the ground and a poisonous gas cloud is dispersed over the surrounding area paralysing anyone within it.
  7. Other effects could be added like for instance adding another poison effect that increases the victims arousal over time on contact.

In the tentacle trap example the spell uses summoning and poison magic. If the player has a high level in summoning the tentacle monster might do more damage or be able to hold onto a victim more successfully. If they had a high poison magic level the effects of the poison might last longer and have more effect over time. The players overall magic level might determine cast range.

Or if you wanted to you could have the option to let the user decide damage, cast range, size of affected area, mana management and so, if they want to make even more detailed decisions at the cost of number crunching.

I am sure that the example might have some bugs but I think you understand overall where I am going with this.

I might have to change it to:

Target > Target type > Trigger > Effect > Effect type

Rather than:

Effect > Effect type > Target > Target type > Trigger

The reason why I like this type of idea is probably because I like the super hero MMOs where you could configure every detail of your heroes appearance and powers. I always spent a lots of time in character creation and using powers in ways that other people did not think to use them.

Hah, I have no idea how to quote posts across pages. 

To everyone that has taken the time to download and try out the proof of concept build  - Thanks!  I really appreciate it. It's really helpful getting feedback and seeing if people are running into any issues and what they think about the things that are in game so far. 

The hair shader stuff is actually a shader that I lifted from the Paragon assets.  There is a lighting issue with it in code that blows out the lighting when the lightsource is hitting the mesh's back faces that I need to fix.  But the color combinations and most of the lighting features on it should stay even after those fixes.

The creation of the game framework has really just been one step at a time.  It helps that I have Skyrim as a rough template for features that I want in the game and from there I try to break it down into individual systems to make.  Like one of the first things I made was the melee system.  I broke that down into the basic parts - the controller, the pawn that is doing the action, the weapon that the pawn is using, how the weapon will deal damage and interact with other actors, the animations that need to play, stuff like that.  Then it was just building those pieces and putting them together.

16 hours ago, xaraaji said:

You might have launched your Patreon page too early.

You're probably right and I agree with pretty much everything you've said.  This is the part of game development that I have no experience with at all so it's going to be a major learning experience.  My thinking with the proof of concept release was to keep it more like a "friends and family" alpha test.  Which is why I kept everything localized to this thread.  The only people that have seen the patreon link are the people that regularly check this thread, saw that the proof of concept had been posted, then took the time to download and play, and noticed and clicked on that one button on the main menu.  The theory that I'm working from is that I can learn and make mistakes on a smaller scale and then slowly increase that scale as I get a better grasp of what I'm doing. 

But at the moment the biggest problem I see with the game is that I have a lack of content.  Which makes promotional art difficult to do since I would have to seriously doctor up any screenshots or video to fill in the rough edges.  The character editor also could use more content - having only 3 hairstyles isn't great.  The lighting is all placeholder.  The environment is super empty.   I'm really hesitant to start posting on a bunch of sites until I have something more.  I don't  want to start making a whole bunch of promises and hype the game up and then when people download and play it ends up being a huge let down. 

I dunno, at what point should you start advertising?  How much content does the game need before putting up a patreon?  I see games in this genre of wildly differing levels of content, quality, and marketing and some do really well while others don't and I haven't been able to figure out any patterns.  But again the content is something I have control over and something that if I was the player I would want to see in a project.  I'm just hoping that's how other people feel as well. 

Ok, progress this week:

Started on the content to fill out character creation.  A couple textures for facial feature options, and some tweaks to existing ones.  Started roughing out some more hairstyles.  

Practicing AI some more.  Began putting together the basis for the faction system.  NPCs can now belong to a faction and also understand that faction's relationship to all other factions.  

Went back and began fixing up the goblin girl content.  Originally I made a bunch of tweaks just to her low poly mesh and making any changes to the sculpt required a bunch of work to get the baking mesh, and then see if those updates worked on the modified low poly.  I went in and updated the sculpt and reworked the low poly mesh.  So everything should line up and moving forward tweaks and changes should be easier.  Still need to do a quick rigging pass on the new model and then start work on the AI and animations.

15 hours ago, slaen said:

I'm really hesitant to start posting on a bunch of sites until I have something more.  I don't  want to start making a whole bunch of promises and hype the game up and then when people download and play it ends up being a huge let down. 

I think just filling things out piece by piece, the way you've been doing, until you have a bit more to the environments and such is probably the best bet here.  Then, when there's some things to do and players can mess around with it a bit, that's when you start making some noise.  It couldn't hurt to make sure people know that there'll only be so much at first, but I can't imagine it'd hurt to put out an early release that's just the town, the surrounding area and a dungeon or two.

If you're worried about content and stuff, just consider that some success stories started pretty rocky.  I'll use Warframe as an example.  When it started it was a mess of abundantly reused assets, missions that were all basically the same, a couple dozen weapons, a handful of playable frames and most importantly systems that barely held together.  But the team kept working at it despite its fairly niche beginnings, adding more content and keeping close to their community and recognizing what players responded well to and what they wanted changed.  Now it's evolved far beyond its original iteration and got huge.  Obviously it won't be quite the same process here since you're only one guy, but the point is that just because you might not be starting with a lot doesn't mean you can't keep adding what you like to it, and as it fills out it'll draw in more interest.  Town and a couple fights will get people wondering where it'll lead to with time, and that's what you really want, people who are going to get invested in the project's development.

I think you're right.  It's surprisingly difficult to keep perspective on the game when I'm so wrapped up in the daily development.  But all I can really do is keep chipping away and building one piece at a time.  I think I'm going to aim for putting out monthly builds too.  Just keep adding things consistently so that people can see I'm making steady progress and give myself a deadline to shoot for.  Like you said build up the starting town, the surrounding environment, and get a couple combat encounters in. 

This week...

started working on the goblin functionality stuff.  I've run into some speed bumps along the way.  This is the first character that I'm really testing out that isn't on the base human rig.  I thought I could create a child of the human anim blueprint, so I would keep all the base functionality, and then just customize the things that I needed.  Turns out that an animation blueprint only supports children that have the same skeleton.  I could make that work on the goblin since she's mostly human but then down the road when I need to make non-human characters I would have to go through this issue anyway.  So I figured I'll figure out the steps now and build what I need so I'm not limited to a single skeleton.  

The blueprint issue also had a ripple effect in the way I've been handling the weapon animations.  Currently each weapon class would have a list of the individual animations that weapon  would play.  But all of those animations are the base human animations and if they are called by a character that isn't human then nothing happens and the character just stands there.  I've come up with a few different options but each one seems to come with its upsides and downsides.  I think that I'll end up keeping the animations local on each weapon and just make an array of structs.  Each array element would then hold the name of the character's race and the list of animations associated with that race.  Then I would check that race name against the pawn's race name when selecting what animation to play.  Which means each new race would need to be added to every weapon type.  It seems like a lot of setup and has a number of steps that seem prone to error but so far that's the best option I've come up with.  Probably going to give this some more thought before actually coding it. 

On the more productive side I'm fleshing out AI behaviors a bit more.

Started updating the environment assets too.  Trying to figure out a look for grass fields and forest floors that I'm happy with.  I haven't done a ton of environment work in the past and doing assets on this scale is pretty cool.  The biggest thing I've learned is that focusing on individual assets is good up to a point but focusing on the entire picture seems better.  The grass meshes for instance, one clump of grass that I'm using is pretty bland and the individual poly planes seem really noticeable in the test scenes but then when those same meshes are dropped into a scene on top of a textured landscape and with other meshes surrounding them they start to look and feel a lot different. 

I also started looking at environment scenes, lighting, and post processing.  From what I can tell, and I'm not even close to an expert on lighting, it seems like you can take even the most basic scene and assets and with well done lighting make it look amazing.  But on the flip side even if you have the most amazing assets in game if the lighting is bad it can make things look terrible.  I'm going to start messing around and trying to learn a basic level of lighting and will probably be changing it in the game pretty regularly until I start to figure things out. 

Ranged weapons are mostly working.  The functionality for bows, spells, and grenade like weapons is in.  The weapon will "charge up" as the player holds down the fire button and then when that button is released the projectile will fire and in the example in the video above will go further and faster.  There's a lot of polish to do tweaking animations, timings, and numbers.

I started digging into the day / night cycle lighting for the map.  I customized the basic sky setup and switched it over to a 12 hour clock rather than the 0 to 1 default.  Mostly for my own sanity and because I wanted sunrises to have different colors and settings from sunsets.  I also turned on some things like fog and post processing fx.  The framerate has taken a little bit of a hit but I added some new foliage at the same time I changed the lighting settings and I haven't had a chance to make the LODs for those objects yet.  That might/should bring the framerate back up a bit.  Even if it doesn't I'm still getting roughly 45 fps in the heaviest parts of the scene.

With the lighting I'm running into this issue during the middle of the night when everything is dark the character and some environment assets look like they're flat lit or receiving some bounce light from somewhere.  I'm trying to track down what the issue is still.  It really feels a lot like the old UE3 character light environment stuff but I thought they got rid of that in 4. 

I'm working on the goblin girl animations and AI still.  I'm taking the things I learned from the human animations and sex scenes and trying to apply and improve those.  It will probably mean adding a few new options into the scenes UI.  Just need to finish the animations and plug them in and see how things feel first though. 

I was also toying with the idea of adding a really basic horde mode into the game.  Something super simple like in Terraria zombies will spawn at night and attack the player, and then during the day they will disappear.  The idea is that it would quickly add some super basic gameplay into the game and make it not feel quite so empty.  I'm not sure if that is something that's worth putting the time into or if I should just keep moving forward on content.  Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?  It would probably be a temporary game mode unless it was really fun fighting off waves of ravenous goblin girls?

The grenades look pretty good, that'll probably be fun to mess around with.  In regards to your horde mode, if nothing else it'll be a good way to test out group combat, and if nothing else will let people use it to see how their machine handles lots of guys running around.  I think a basic horde mode would be a decent addition at least for your early release builds.  Maybe just put a button in town somewhere to turn them on and off in case people don't want them.  Later when you've got more stuff figured out and if you like the idea you could even re-purpose it into a proper event or quest.  "Defend the town from the horde of X", or as a random encounter while exploring, getting ambushed by a large group of enemies.

Good luck with that lighting problem.  That sounds like the kind of thing that could drive a man to drink.

I agree, just adding the horde mode to give a basic gameplay loop.  That's one of the things that I really need to start working on is the gameplay loop.  I'm guessing it'll be sort of like Skyrim of the town->travel->dungeon->town and repeat kind of design. 

Figured out the lighting issue - I had set the occlusion to a brightness that worked with the daytime lighting to a light mid gray or something.  But at night that same occlusion was brighter than anything else in the dark scene. 

I looked into the horde mode design a bit this week but haven't really settled on anything yet.  I did work more on the npc AI.  Based on their perception they'll attack factions that they are hostile to.  There's a few broken scenarios I need to work on.  Currently when they see a new target, even if they are actively attacking a target already, they'll sometimes switch over and attack the new target.  I also need to put in logic to handle npc on npc scenes.  Everything triggers correctly when one npc is defeated but there isn't anything that tells them to choose an animation and then start playing it.  If I build this correctly I'll probably use it as an "autoplay scene" option for the player as well.  Some setting that would allow the player to just sit back and watch a couple animations on autopilot instead of needing to choose animations from the menu. 

Made a new hairstyle and also started on a bandit armor set.  The first dungeon will probably be a bandit cave or abandoned mine sort of thing.  Very similar to some of the basic random dungeons in Skyrim.  I was also breaking done what I would need as far as content and design in order to start working on dungeon content.  It doesn't see like it will be too bad once I get a basic model set built things like the wall textures and a ton of rocks.  There's always so much more environment work to do than character work. 

Began looking at marketing stuff.  Went through a bunch of different fonts to see what would work for a logo and the ingame ui.  I was starting to settle on this really cool gothic font and theme that looked really cool and felt a lot like Diablo.  As soon as I dropped the test title into the game I realized how badly it clashed with all of my current visuals of bright and sunny landscapes.  I'm going to shoot for something a bit closer to Fable I think. 

There's also a bunch of stuff to get the patreon page up to snuff.  Adding a proper description, feature list, planned feature list, and actual images that show off the game and what it looks like.  That's all planned out and I have most of the assets ready to be able to start making things.

I'll probably push out another build once I have the goblin girl fully functional.  I think she only has 2 more animation sets to do.  Then I'll need to import everything and do the technical setup.  If I get ambitious I might try putting her grapples into the game but that means another 2 animation sets to make and a bit of coding. 

Sounds like things are well underway.  The only idea I have to chip in right now is in regards to your font issue.  If you know of anyone with the know how and skills, you could see about setting up your own font.  I'm sure there's someone willing to design one that would fit the feeling better than trying to track down a pre-made one.  Of course, that might cost money for a commission, if you decide to go that way, so if that is what you want to do, might be a better idea to wait until you have some attention on patreon or something and set a bit aside from that to go towards it.

On 8/7/2019 at 4:47 AM, Just Checking said:

Sounds like things are well underway.  The only idea I have to chip in right now is in regards to your font issue.  If you know of anyone with the know how and skills, you could see about setting up your own font.

I hadn't thought about getting a font professionally done.  That's probably a good idea.  Maybe I'll run it by some concept artists and see if anyone is interested but like you said it will probably wait until I can actually pay someone.

On 8/12/2019 at 6:45 AM, Chiisai said:

Really excited about this game, it looks like it's coming along really nice. One thing I want to ask is where is your patreon? I can't find a link for it in any of your posts.

Hah, yeah the next big content push I'm going to update the patreon page and make it a lot more visible.  I'll probably be plastering patreon links all over the place pretty soon.

The new build is getting close to being ready.  As usual there's a couple things I should try and clean up before.  The goblin girl's animations are done, I didn't get to the grappling content yet I'd like a bit more time to experiment rather than just throwing it together in 3 or 4 days.  But she is in there and should be fully functional.  

Does anyone have preferences for new builds as for times and frequencies?  I was thinking about trying to push something out every month probably somewhere on or close to the 15th?  It's sort of an arbitrary day but the other options would be something like the 2nd Tuesday of every month or else whenever I have enough content and feel like making a build.  I'm assuming getting a steady release schedule going will be the best thing to draw people in.

I've been working on AI stuff the last few days.  Lots of bugs to track down mostly things with sticking to one target and not just spinning in circles whenever more than one enemy was present.  I'm sure there's more things that I missed but I think it's in a state that it can be tested now.  

Hooked up the new hairstyles in the character editor.  Also the face customization there's still buttons to set the overall face preset but now there are added sliders that will change the shape of individual features eyes, nose, mouth, lips, and head shape.

21 hours ago, Chiisai said:

How do you block?

Right mouse button.  But it doesn't do much in that first build.  The functionality is stubbed out but I think all it does if you hold right click, and then try to attack it just won't attack.  This next build there will be an animation and it will reduce damage by a percentage. 

I really need to do the hotkey editor too so that people can look up or rebind their hotkeys.  It's on the list I just haven't had the time to make it yet.

Regarding releases, I'd say just do it as you see fit.  If you made a lot of progress on something and feel like it's ready to be shown off, or there's some bug you found and fixed that causes issues then by all means release.  If you feel like you don't have something ready worth uploading as a proper release, then I wouldn't feel too pressured to if I were you.  In that case, I'd say just drop an update on what you're looking at and how it's going.  A more easy going approach to releases might also help you avoid getting burnt out, not having pressure behind you to necessarily put out something new every month.  

New build uploaded:

Feign - Proof of Concept Build 1.1

Help Support the project on Patreon

There's a full changelist on the Patreon page or the first post in this thread.

The goblin girl is in game and functional.  NPC characters will also initiate sex scenes between each other automatically right now.  It's more of a testing thing at the moment and will be toned down a bit in future builds.  They usually get stuck in an endless sex loop too. 

The AI factions are working now too.  Guards will attack goblins but not the player or civilians unless the player attacks them first and goblins should attack everyone on sight.  AI also has a perception cone and radius.  They won't see characters outside of that cone and they will lose sight of the player once they get far enough away. 

Small warning:  AI gets confused when there's a lot of targets that are knocked down - all of the guards will cluster around a knocked down goblin but won't know what to do. 

I think I have the scenes aligned correctly for different character heights.  I ended up disabling collision during scenes and then teleporting characters to where they need to be.  There will probably still be some clipping issues with the ground but at least things line up instead of poking people in the forehead instead of mouth. 

There's a throwable potion in the center of town.  Equip and ready the same way but to fire hold down the left mouse button and the release.  There's only 2 preset distances long and short based on how long the left mouse button is held down. 

Blocking is in - Right click and hold while a melee weapon is equipped and ready.  It will reduce damage by a flat 50% while testing.

To ready a weapon (I had a few questions about this) - with a weapon equipped press the R button to ready the weapon and then left click to fire.  Pressing R again will unready the weapon.

19 hours ago, Just Checking said:

Regarding releases, I'd say just do it as you see fit.  If you made a lot of progress on something and feel like it's ready to be shown off, or there's some bug you found and fixed that causes issues then by all means release.  If you feel like you don't have something ready worth uploading as a proper release, then I wouldn't feel too pressured to if I were you.  In that case, I'd say just drop an update on what you're looking at and how it's going.  A more easy going approach to releases might also help you avoid getting burnt out, not having pressure behind you to necessarily put out something new every month. 

I definitely hear what you're saying.  I think there's going to be a fine line with that work / life balance.  But I also do want to treat this like a fulltime job since I'm hoping that I can end up supporting myself with this project.  Which if people end up supporting me then I would feel obligated to put out at least some sort of content every month.  It's also an interesting problem - what constitutes a proper release?   If I was trying to match the amount of content in an update for something like Destiny then I would only be putting out updates once every 6 to 12 months (if I was lucky).  But something like a new armor set or a new melee weapon skin is much more achievable but not nearly as noticeable.  Not sure, though.  Would people be happy getting something like a new set of armor every month?  Is that enough value for a Patreon payment?

Depends on the value of the weapon in the game's mechanical framework itself, and what content your patrons expect in the first place. I can tell you right now that quality matters more than quantity >after you have a working final build<, until you can kind of mix and match with endgame content. A new weapon/armor set per month is actually what some people are earning for on patreon as we speak, the caveat being that's all they're doing and expected to do, and your scope is considerably larger, and presumably people will expect quite a bit more over the long term. Obviously you need find a balance your customers will be amenable to.

Wild Life took three+ years to get a to workable state with a team of over ten, and you're one person making a similarly scoped game on an indefinite timetable.

If you can refine an asset loop that will allow monthly drops while not compromising, by all means, but reality will probably have different outcomes.

Just be honest with your customers, first and foremost.

Making stuff this week.  Here's the Zbrush sculpt of some bandit armor. 

bandit_wip_02.jpg.bd1117fa11e6a876cc8b16c2b0080895.jpg

I'm going to try out some dynamic cloth stuff on the hanging bits once I get the armor into Unreal.  This is also starting the push towards making the content that will be in the first dungeon and getting that first gameplay loop going. 

The current build can be grabbed on my patreon or the first post in this thread. 

On 8/15/2019 at 11:44 PM, 27X said:

A new weapon/armor set per month is actually what some people are earning for on patreon as we speak, the caveat being that's all they're doing and expected to do, and your scope is considerably larger, and presumably people will expect quite a bit more over the long term.

See this is really interesting, how the scope of the game changes the player's expectations.  In terms of something like a MOBA people seem happy with a new skin most months and a new champion on occasion.  But take Skyrim's creation club store and people seem disappointed when they get an armor set but there isn't a quest line associated with it. 

It also seems like there's been a shift over time in how content updates are perceived.  Back when Bethesda released horse armor for Oblivion people were furious. But now content along those lines seems much more accepted and commonplace especially when it's for a game like an MMO or MOBA.  I mean, look at the skins for couriers in MOBAs that people spend money on.  There's even the added angle of "supporting the developer".  Which when it's for a small indie team or solo dev on patreon it makes sense but then I've seen larger companies play that same card as well as players using that to justify buying the latest skin for their favorite blockbuster multiplayer game. 

Finally got around to trying the demo (been a rough month) and I'm loving the npc interactivity, I wish more games had this sporadic npc sex. It's nice that they have to follow the same rules as the player for a change. I'm so impressed by what I've seen and what I think this game could be that I've done something I never thought I would do; I made a patreon account. Once I get some affairs sorted I hope to pledge in the coming week.

Only issue I can report is that eventually if someone stays downed long enough and gets enough "visits" one of two things happens: 1: The goblin initiates the animation but instead of mounting the dude she hovers where she stands, taking the cowgirl pose midair. 2: I've seen this happen more with male guards as the aggressor, they clip through the ground and disappear but the goblin still plays the blowjob animation. This may have not been worth mentioning as this didn't take much time to occur and as you've said, eventually it will be toned down.

Synlaine got me in the mood for posting some pictures so here's a few of some exploration, sex, and even a couple of amusing glitches/bugs. I actually climbed that huge mountain but by the time I did it went all night time so I couldn't get any good pictures, maybe next time.

Some spooky fog a long ways off map

Spoiler

nowayback.png.7b83a11239b83742f5db39fd4af1fa38.png

At the edge of the map and the fog suddenly went away

Spoiler

fogsgone.png.c4cbdc5497777e6f1cc17545e401984d.png

Goblins have taken over the inn!(Glitched them up there)

Spoiler

gobboinn.png.b94d4e2fdd5ff4f63b29317001ea457d.png

She'll never see it co-

Spoiler

creepin.png.262f0f59548ca4abbb28a54a69acb7f4.png

This is what happens when you put on the goblin rags

Spoiler

glitch.png.d227d80d28d7b6070e9a4ed9dbc90d12.png

Last but not least some goblin cowgirl

Spoiler

sex.png.770ff11ba220f82316b71a913556558d.png

On 8/20/2019 at 6:29 PM, AttritionofContrition said:

Finally got around to trying the demo (been a rough month) and I'm loving the npc interactivity, I wish more games had this sporadic npc sex. It's nice that they have to follow the same rules as the player for a change. I'm so impressed by what I've seen and what I think this game could be that I've done something I never thought I would do; I made a patreon account. Once I get some affairs sorted I hope to pledge in the coming week.

Only issue I can report is that eventually if someone stays downed long enough and gets enough "visits" one of two things happens: 1: The goblin initiates the animation but instead of mounting the dude she hovers where she stands, taking the cowgirl pose midair. 2: I've seen this happen more with male guards as the aggressor, they clip through the ground and disappear but the goblin still plays the blowjob animation. This may have not been worth mentioning as this didn't take much time to occur and as you've said, eventually it will be toned down.

Wow, those screenshots are awesome.  The shot of the goblins covering the inn actually reminds me of a feature that I'd like to get to eventually.  I already need to write a dynamic spawner system to spawn and despawn npc characters so each town or location will have something  like a spawn list.  From there it would be really cool to have a system where different factions could take over and control different locations.  Like if the town was overrun by goblins the player could then go and visit the town and it would just be all goblins everywhere, running the inn, working at the blacksmith, and at the general store.  Just an idea, there's a ton of other stuff to do before that point but that screenshot brought it to mind. 

The patreon thing would be very appreciated.  It's a very surreal feeling having a patreon out there.  But on a side note my patreon is currently set to only charge at the beginning of every month so it shouldn't charge anything immediately when someone signs up but it will wait until the start of the following month.  Also if for any reason you would need to cancel just keep that in mind and do it before that next month rolls over. 

Thanks for the bug reports as well.  I'm hoping to fix the scene animations to get them a bit more stable.  It's probably something to do with their collision cylinders getting bugged as I switch them on and off between each scene.  There was another bug, that I hopefully fixed, where after the scene both characters would pop to directly on top of each other and then the collision would turn back on and they'd both shoot straight up into the sky. 

banditarmor_wip03.jpg.6ce0f95a08348ded9ee51592ab19315a.jpg

Almost finished with texturing.  I was able to get the dynamic cloth stuff to work and it looks really cool in motion but there seem to be a few drawbacks.  It is like other dynamic cloth in games and can overreact to some situations.  I also can't figure out how to combine the cloth with blendshapes.  Which means that it won't scale with any changes in the character proportions and so if the character gets larger the cloth will just clip into the character.  I'm still digging and researching cloth when I have time but it looks like how Epic handled it with Paragon was with dynamic joint chains.  I will probably try that at some point in time and see how it looks and if it is easier to control. 

I also began implementing a system for lust into the game.  It's taking inspiration from Corruption of Champions.  The player has a lust meter (in pink) over their health bar.  When that bar is filled the player will be stunned and unable to act until their lust is taken care of.   Now I need to make the assets for taking care of that lust - animations for male and female anatomy, and eventually things like a potion option or a magic spell option. 

Also been working on marketing assets, videos and images mostly.  As well as a slime girl that I'm slowly experimenting with her materials to get something I'm happy with. 

On 2/5/2019 at 2:06 PM, slaen said:
titlebar.jpg.fd2b286b201dcab28e7748965ad81926.jpg

A role playing game for adults that will combine elements from Skyrim, Fable, and Corruption of Champions.

Download:

goblin_tier.jpg.7a72b514decde08e8be8dc3905b7a17f.jpg

The Goblin Girl update

Version 1.1 Changelist:

• Title screen added
  • Ranged weapons with windup time
  • Player can block while a melee weapon is equipped (hold right mouse button)
  • 6 new hairstyles
  • 8 eyebrow options
  • 2 new face complexions
  • NPC on NPC auto scenes (testing)
  • Day night dynamic lighting cycle lighting tweaked
  • Added dynamic fog
  •  
  • Goblin girl  
  • 2 victory scenes
  • 2 loss scenes
  • melee functionality
  • ranged weapon functionality
  • basic ai
  •  
  • Early faction implementation and related ai
  • World map basic functionality
  • Trees, grass, and foliage updates and optimization
  • Collision added to most trees
  • Test areas for evergreen forest, and green fields
  • Interactive street lamps

I'm working on a fantasy RPG using Skyrim as inspiration and a starting point as far as mechanics and general systems.  I've finished a rough version of the character editor so far.   It still needs a lot of polish and the entire ui is and will be placeholder for a while but the main functionality is there. 

There's a long way to go but I'm trying to get a solid foundation down.  I'm also hoping to post regular updates throughout the development.

Comments and feedback totally welcome. 

I want to make babies with that goblin.... *spluts... spluts... spults...*

5 hours ago, slaen said:

banditarmor_wip03.jpg.6ce0f95a08348ded9ee51592ab19315a.jpg

Almost finished with texturing.  I was able to get the dynamic cloth stuff to work and it looks really cool in motion but there seem to be a few drawbacks.  It is like other dynamic cloth in games and can overreact to some situations.  I also can't figure out how to combine the cloth with blendshapes.  Which means that it won't scale with any changes in the character proportions and so if the character gets larger the cloth will just clip into the character.  I'm still digging and researching cloth when I have time but it looks like how Epic handled it with Paragon was with dynamic joint chains.  I will probably try that at some point in time and see how it looks and if it is easier to control. 

I also began implementing a system for lust into the game.  It's taking inspiration from Corruption of Champions.  The player has a lust meter (in pink) over their health bar.  When that bar is filled the player will be stunned and unable to act until their lust is taken care of.   Now I need to make the assets for taking care of that lust - animations for male and female anatomy, and eventually things like a potion option or a magic spell option. 

Also been working on marketing assets, videos and images mostly.  As well as a slime girl that I'm slowly experimenting with her materials to get something I'm happy with. 

Are you looking to only do this by yourself, or are you seeking others to join in on the development? 

Your armor is looking pretty good, I haven't tried your last test release yet since I've been away from home, but I'll have to give it a look sometime soon.

One thing that would be cool, but also super impractical, would be if your slime girl had wobbly bits between joints that would be physics enabled.  Responding to movement or impacts with a bit of jiggling or something, like jello.  I can only imagine the strain they would put on one's machine when there were more than a couple around, especially if you were to make them also vaguely transparent.