[UE4] Feign - An Adult Fantasy RPG [In Development]

LOVING the look/progress so far. Love the fact it looks pretty straightforward and easy to use, plus has good selection for creating some unique characters without spending too long in the creation process. And those color sliders - OMG MUST HAVE! Also love the hair too and the fact it doesn't look painted on or like clay (The Sims style); kudos for that. One suggestion from a purely vain perspective; longer hair! Shaggy for men (given medi/fantasy they couldn't all be clean cut) and longer for general for women (to rope in those of us who like some femininity in our ass-kicking protagonists. Just my opinion to take or leave as you wish.

Repeating on the post above; curious to know the storyline even in general terms at this point. Really loving the look so far. Fantastic work! *thumbs up*

I like the visuals so far.  The face in that video you've got is a good starting point.  Nice shape base shape, looks like it works pretty well with your sliders.  Is this your own model, or are you using an existing one to show off how the character editor looks?  Cuz I like that this one's noticeably stylized and video-gamey.  I feel like a lot of people who try to do their own games try to go straight to what is no doubt intended to be more realistic looks, but they usually come out blocky or lumpy with weird lighting things going on.  Going with something more like this might not exactly be photorealistic but it comes out smoother and a bit nicer to look at.  That's my opinion, at least.

That aside, what you've put together so far looks like it'll do it's job pretty well.  Looking forward to seeing more of the project, good luck dude.  How long have you been working on this, anyway?

Thanks everyone!

The game concept is a bit vague at the moment once I get deeper into development it'll start to get more solid.  The general mechanics will use Skyrim as a starting point.  So first person and third person views,  realtime combat, inventory system, some sort of skill and leveling system, open world (which will start out very very small).  

For the direction I'm drawing inspiration from a ton of sources ( assume the links are NSFW )-

Fenoxo's work for the win/loss mechanics, the transformation and level of customization, and the bad ends
https://www.fenoxo.com/

the Monster Girls Quest series of games - because monster girls
https://www.dlsite.com/ecchi-eng/work/=/product_id/RE115697.html

Kamidori Alchemy Meister
https://f95zone.com/threads/kamidori-alchemy-meister-eushully.635/

Bedlam's work - Rough Landing 2 is awesome once you get beyond the RAGs interface.  If I can figure out how to make the willpower system work well in a realtime combat system then I'll be happy.  
http://bedlamgames.tumblr.com/Rough Landing 2

GigglingGoblin's writing and world building
https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=1739246&page=submissions

and of course Calm for overall art style, tone, feel
https://twitter.com/calmdraws?lang=en

Skyrim and Fable would also be the primary mainstream inspirations.  

If I'm successful I'll take elements from all of those and wrap them into something that feels cohesive inside of an open world sandbox.  This isn't to say that it will have everything from all those sources and more.  Just trying to give a sense of the overall direction I'm shooting for right now.  It's also a huge project that is going to take a long time to make.  

I absolutely agree with the hair suggestions.  The two styles in the video are still placeholder  but I want to try some longer styles and just really practice making realtime hair.

Heh, I was worried I was going a bit too stylized with the character work.  These are all my own models and work.  Since this is the base character overall it probably took me 3 months to make.  But a good chunk of that time was spent rebuilding the mesh a couple times and trying to get all of the blendshapes to play well with each other and have enough geometry to support some of the larger shapes.  

The character editor itself probably took about 2 months to put together.  That plus the character puts me up around 5 months.  But I was poking around in Unreal 4 since the beginning of 2018 and I've got tons of experience inside of the old Unreal 3 so it wasn't a huge jump to make. 

6 hours ago, slaen said:

Heh, I was worried I was going a bit too stylized with the character work.  These are all my own models and work.  Since this is the base character overall it probably took me 3 months to make.  But a good chunk of that time was spent rebuilding the mesh a couple times and trying to get all of the blendshapes to play well with each other and have enough geometry to support some of the larger shapes.  

Yeah I wouldn't worry about things being too stylized.  I'm having a hard time explaining exactly what I mean when I say I like stylized over realistic in a lot of things.  I think going for stylized gives you a lot more freedom because you can play around with stuff like animations, expressions, gear and other stuff like that and it's much harder for it to look out of place, the fact that it already doesn't strive for too much realism gives you more options.  An example from some games I've played that are... sort of similar to each other in certain respects, Overwatch and Rainbow 6 Siege.  Siege strives for as much realism as they can cram into their game without completely removing gameplay.  Characters, animations, guns, all these things need to adhere to that level of realism, even some of the more recent characters who have crazy, sci-fi sounding equipment like holographic projectors need to still look like they could be perfectly feasible in their designs.  It's very noticeable when something doesn't quite match up, like when the ragdoll freaks out or if an animation or facial expression looks a bit too exaggerated.  Comparing that to Overwatch, which also has a very high quality, but distinctly more cartoonish, visual style.  Just in the very basics of the game you can see how they use the fact they don't need to adhere to their realism as hard, and that's not even in the really sci-fi characters.  Everyone has movements that just wouldn't work in more realistically styled games.  You ever look at Tracer's or Lucio's running animations?  Or even the idea that half of those guys can get around as fast as they do (looking at junkrat, roadhog and torb with that one)?  It works for them, though, as do more pronounced expressions and brighter colours.  They can add basically whatever they want to Overwatch because as long as they maintain their level of visual quality it hard for anyone or anything to really look out of place in their style.

Also in terms of using character creators, it's a hell of a lot easier to make nice looking characters in less realistic styles.  Things don't look so squished or stretched when you're playing around with stuff.  When I'm making characters in Skyrim I sort of need certain aspects like noses and jaws and mouths to only really sit on specific parts of the sliders or things start to look weird.  In something like Sims 4, I can play around with a lot more before the same thing begins to happen, so my Sims characters look a lot more diverse than my Skyrim ones.

Anyway, that's my take on realistic vs stylized.  Looking over your list of inspirations I recognize most of them, don't know Goblin or Bedlam but the rest I do know and they're pretty cool.  I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this, maybe if you want to get ideas for more specifics when you're ready to start putting it all together you can make a brainstorming thread and bounce ideas around with people.  There's been a couple of those around here in the past, and they were fun.  Pure chaos, but fun.

This is the first time I've made a complete character editor and it's been an eye opening experience.  There's a bit of smoke and mirrors in getting faces to look good in the creator and then I think a lot of the options with sliders and different face presets is there more to give the player the sense that it's this really in depth tool when in reality there's only a handful of good looking faces that you can make and you can only push the sliders so far before things look off.  

Honestly I think it also depends on the level of abstraction that you put into the faces as to how far you can push them.  If you took Widowmaker's face from Overwatch, even though it's a stylized game, it would start to look pretty rough if you started sliding around her features and changed the shape of her nose or jaw line.  But if you have something that is super abstract shapes like Nintendo's Mii's now you can move shapes and lines just about anywhere on the face and still get good results.  

This week I've mostly been doing environment assets and shader stuff.  Nothing that's really at an interesting point to show just yet.  But I have been chipping away at some of the outfits for the starting area as well.  Here's a work in progress of the barmaid's outfit:

barmaid_wip_01.jpg.408f08876093c9912fac6bbb3729adcb.jpg

There will always be people that make heavier use of odd sliders in character creation.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.  If you want a prime example of how wildly people's perception of what looks good can swing, look no further than the overabundance of follower mods on Skyrim and Oblivion nexus.  Also "beautified character" mods are another good example.  Some of them are horrifying messes, but the guy who uploaded them says something like "I was tired of how there weren't any good looking followers so I made the hottest girl" and then the abomination he uploads has lips that take up most of its face, a chin two miles long and weird, beady little eyes with crazy amounts of mascara shading around them.  Also probably greyface because he didn't make it properly.  The point is, yeah a lot of sliders go largely untouched, and even the ones that do get used can only go so far before becoming 50's horror movie props.  But someone will still make something weird with it and think it's the hottest shit ever designed.

Had some time to work on the equipment slots this week.  At the moment I'm going with three armor slots per character - gloves, helmet, and body.  I was trying to figure out a way of doing an upper body lower body split but it felt really limiting if I stuck to the same template for everything or too much of a logistical nightmare if I had a ton of special cases, like trying to mix robes and cloaks with different styles of pants or skirts and then getting those to work well with all of the body morph sliders.  That's how I ended up with the three different slots.  It should give people a decent amount of customization but be cleaner to develop for. 

(quick disclaimer - Lots of stuff is placeholder, none of the textures are polished, the skin weights are just quick skin wraps and the inventory system and ui will get an overhaul at some point.)

I almost just copied the armor system from skyrim but then I don't think that would work well with things like thigh high boots or short skirts and making all of the pants taper just below the knee seems strange if the boots you have are all different heights. 

What do you think?  What are some good examples of other armor systems that work well?  Do people really mind armor pieces clipping or intersecting with each other? 

15 hours ago, slaen said:
What do you think?  What are some good examples of other armor systems that work well?  Do people really mind armor pieces clipping or intersecting with each other? 

I don't think most people mind clipping in small amounts but I'm sure it would get a bit old if it's very noticeable.  Especially for people that like to take screenshots.

As for armor systems, I've been thinking about this for a while and now seems like a good time to bring it up.  Your design here reminds me a lot of Fable.  You listed it as one of your inspirations, so that stands to reason, but watching your character moving around and seeing the general design of the equipment reminded me of Fable 1, which I personally quite liked so it's kinda nice to see.  If you lean into something kind of similar with that one you'll probably do alright.  The only issue I personally have with fewer slots is that it means you're sort of stuck with the whole piece of gear if you don't much like the look of it but want the stats, like in Fallout, or even Skyrim with it's whole body section compared to Oblivion's, and especially Morrowind's, comparatively vast array of armor slots.  I think you could probably not worry about that as long as there's a good range of visual styles to choose from with gear so people like me can play dressup, and if you're planning to design this so other people can build on it and make mods for it (dunno how much extra work that takes, maybe it's not wholly doable on your own) then any community that generates around it will inevitably add their own gear to cater to different tastes.  

For a good idea of armor systems, maybe check out some Bioware titles like DA:O or KOTOR.  Those old DnD based ones are usually pretty good about that, since it was all based on something that had to be simple enough to work on a table top game but still be serviceable.  They still do they leggings ending abruptly to make room for boots thing, but that's just how it goes.  They are a pretty solid idea of how to balance armor stat bonuses though, a variety of which will give people plenty of options for how they want to play.  Otherwise you can make armor just be straight protection and that's that, no bonuses to other, non-combat oriented aspects so players don't even need to worry about that, they just choose how much protection they want and what looks good rather than what fits their chosen playstyle.

After putting some more thought into the armor system there's a few primary things I want it to do:

The armor system should reinforce roleplaying
It shouldn't be a constant progression of increasing stats and bonuses
But different levels of armor should have different feels (cloth, leather, plate, whatever)

My rough vision of the armor system would be something sort of similar to d&d.  Each different armor type would have an associated armor rating and then every other type of armor within that same category would have the same or similar armor rating.  But some armor types could have slightly different bonuses.  For the sake of example, a suit of chainmail has an armor rating of 4 and a suit of elven chainmail could also have an armor rating of 4 but might give a bonus to stealth.  The bonus wouldn't be anything that would make the base suit of chainmail completely useless so the player would have the choice based upon the visuals of the armor or for roleplaying purposes (maybe they were robbed by elves once and won't touch anything elven ever again) whether or not to use that armor.  

As for bonuses and things that armor would influence I think spell casting proficiency where the heavier the armor the less effective your spellcasting would be.  Stealth seems like it would also fall into a similar pattern where the heavier the armor the noisier the player.

Some totally blue sky ideas that I would like to do if there is the time and motivation but would also take a decent chunk more work to implement:
Taken from a Skyrim mod I saw - if there are factions in the game and you dress as that faction then the members think that you belong to the faction.    
There could also be an attractiveness stat that would influence the general reaction of NPC's to the player.  Or this could be expanded into almost a fear/respect/lust sort of system.  If the player is decked out in crazy spiked armor covered in skulls then most peasants will tend to fear that person.  But if the player is dressed in radiant gold paladin type armor they will respect the player.  If the player is dressed in something super skimpy like the classic chainmail bikini then the peasants would probably respond with lust instead.  That seems like it would be really cool but would also take a lot of work to do correctly.

On 2/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, goldennboy said:

Very nice! Do you use bones or blendshapes for facial customization?

Thanks! It's just blendshapes so far.  I'm more comfortable moving verts in something like zbrush rather than placing bones and painting weights.  I still have to do all the facial expressions for emotions and talking.  I also need to go back and add a few joints for the jaw, teeth, and tongue at that point I may test a few bones here and there to do things like move the eyesockets around. 

Those all sound like pretty cool ideas.  Not totally invalidating certain armor types by just making another one objectively better in every way would be cool, and the idea of some level or randomization to bonuses would sate my personal obsession with getting that perfect loot drop.  Also reaction to appearance, again a fun little aspect of the Fable games that most others don't use.

It seems like everything is going to be a balancing act.  Finding systems that are fun and compelling and fit into the overall tone of the game.  There was a thread I was reading through over on the Skyrim part of these boards where people briefly touched on the merits of Morrowind's melee system with it's dice rolls and missed swings.  That was an idea that I thought was universally disliked but it sounded like people enjoyed it for the sense of roleplaying.  So if your character is terrible at melee combat but the person behind the computer is good with a mouse and keyboard then there's this disconnect whenever you end up fighting anything.   The thread I'm talking about for reference :

I've been slowly putting together all of the resources I need to take a crack at the combat system.  Which means lots of time working on animations, making a few weapon models, and also working on some monsters for the player to fight.  Since I'm sticking with a lot of the standard fantasy tropes the beginning area will need to have goblins roaming around.  I'm still messing with the proportions a bit and I'm not totally happy with the outfit but the model is coming along.  Also need to figure out a hairstyle. 

gob_wip_01.jpg.4c8f9c42b8f5bede35f333e7faab18d3.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how generic fantasy to go with the game.  There's part of me as a player who really wants to run around in a sort of idealized setting, almost like the Shire from the Hobbit movies or something from Guy Hendrix Dyas http://guyhendrixdyas.com/The Brothers Grimm_Production Design.html .Where in the surrounding woods you would fight goblins, imps, and slimes for the first few levels.  I also realize that all of that is roughly as cliche and standard as you can possibly get.  It seems like most games you are the chosen one and have to immediately start doing epic missions or start saving the world. 

Is that such a bad thing to stick with some of the cliche and standard fantasy content?  Or let the player hang out in the starting area and just experience the world before being gripped by some crazy huge main quest line?  How about focusing on more of a fantasy life simulator or sandbox experience?  Like if you took Skyrim and deleted the main quest entirely would people enjoy that type of experience or does there need to be a driving narrative and main quest?

Archetypes are archetypes for a reason: they appeal to the audience. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going "standard generic" if you do it well. If anything, I'd say both indie and big name companies sometimes get a bit lost trying to reinvent the wheel and show how different their settings are, even when it hurts the game. Do they really need to be called elves if they're blue and have giraffe necks?

Simulationy sandbox in a fantasy environment could be an unforgettable game - or a recipe for an abomination that's neither fun nor realistic. My ideal start would have some middle ground between being a dirt farmer and a Chosen One destined for greatness from day one. Pretty much Skyrim without a main quest. You can go places, do things, find opportunities, gain fortune and fame, get horribly violated by grotesque monsters and so on. Vanilla Skyrim is flimsy and lacks depth, but mods make it something truly memorable.

That fear/respect/lust reaction mentioned earlier suggests this could be fun. For me, RPGs are all about the player character interacting with the world and its inhabitants. Character creator having a dozen boob sliders won't matter if the PC is just a faceless questing machine to all the NPCs. Choosing backgrounds and stuff won't matter if everyone reacts the same regardless and there's always only one dialogue choice (or none at all). Not sure how much of a textwall would be appropriate here, so I might revisit the subject.

I'm all for some plain fantasy.  If that's what you want to do then go for it, this is your project, after all.  I like to see what personal spins people end up putting on things, but that can come from directions other than the visual design of the creatures throughout the world, or just be something you feel more like adding later in development.  

As for your driving force in game, it's nice to have some direction when playing but that doesn't mean the direction has to come in the form of some grand, world saving quest.  It could be a matter of scavenging enough money to buy/upgrade your house or something.  If you're like me you might just enjoy looting dungeons and watching your treasure pile get bigger.  If you want to play around with quests but not have to worry about coming up with an overarching story or something like that yet, maybe look at radiant quests, little throwaway ones that can be done over and over with small degrees of randomization.  While you're putting all your systems in place you might be struck with inspiration and decide you want a primary storyline, or maybe you'll find the repeatable activities and fantasy sim approach do what you want better.  As unhelpful as this particular piece of feedback is, it's all up to you.  Aim for something you'd want to play, and if people don't like it then that's their business.

I will say this, though.  Trying to combine overarching story with a freeform sandbox experience might be a little tricky depending on what kind of features you have planned, so it might be better to play around for a while and decide where you want to take it, and then focus on aspects of gameplay that synergize with that.  The Creatorslab project thread was full of ideas, but not all of them worked together.  For instance, a generations system where you play as your progeny if your main character dies doesn't really lend itself well to a game with a focused narrative since you'd have to find a way to work around the idea of a whole new person with less experience taking up this quest from the middle ten years after the last guy died.  It does, however, work really well for a life simulator where the player is in control of their personal story and doesn't have to worry too much about being THE hero and can just play as A hero.

Interesting.
I very much like the barmaids outfit, reminds me of fable 3 and the goblin is just delicious.

Not gonna say much as i wanna see where this goes.
Just 1 question from me: Any thoughts on futanari? (female body with both a vagina and penis preferably without balls)

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to keep playing around with ideas on the overall structure of the game and what the fantasy world should be like.  At least at the moment I'm leaning towards the open world sandbox / lifesim in a more traditional fantasy world setting.  But that could pretty easily change.  

And the more I sketch out future systems the more I would like to try making that fear/respect/lust reaction system.  I'm picturing things like in Fable how the villagers would gather around the player and cheer or else run away in terror.  It would be really cool if it interacted with a faction system.  So different factions would have different reactions to the players choices.  Like, and this is just a really random example, say there was a turnip farmer faction.  They would fear the player if they went on a killing spree of turnip farmers but they would be a whole lot more fearful if you started burning their turnip fields.  Respect could be earned through farming your own turnips or donating to turnip related charities.  Lust could be influenced by the size of the turnips you grew or for how big your turnip farm was.  It's a silly example but the point is that each faction would react differently to the player's actions based upon that factions core values.  Definitely a system to try designing sometime in the future.  

Okay, this week I've been working on the combat system even more.  I rewrote part of the projectile weapon code to make it so you can fire when you let go of a mouse button and to keep track of how long you were holding the mouse button down.  Pretty much the rough foundation for a bow and arrow system.  Also added in spots for animations - equip, unequip, and a melee swing cycle.   Put together some rough animations to test the melee stuff - different idle animation when you have a weapon equipped and the first swing of the melee animation cycle.  

And finally had a bit of time to put some rough textures on the goblin.  I changed up her proportions a tiny bit and ignore the clothing it's just placeholder until I have time to go back and make something better.  One of these days I need to sit down and take a week to just make a bunch of hairstyles for all the characters.  Oh well, one piece at a time.  

gob_wip_02.jpg.95b7faa99e7cc2e411845e9f4e90aed1.jpg

23 hours ago, b00marrows said:

Interesting.
I very much like the barmaids outfit, reminds me of fable 3 and the goblin is just delicious.

Not gonna say much as i wanna see where this goes.
Just 1 question from me: Any thoughts on futanari? (female body with both a vagina and penis preferably without balls)

Thanks! As for futanari stuff, sure I can add an extra check box or two during character creation to toggle on and off whichever parts you could want.  Does that cover the futanari side of things or is there more specific content that would need to go along with it?  I'm assuming any animations could piggyback on the base animations?  or would there need to be another entire set of animations to properly support a player choosing to be futanari?  Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud, but yeah if it's a minimal amount of work and is something players want - no problem but if it's a bunch of work then I would need to focus on higher priority stuff right now.  

7 hours ago, slaen said:

futanari stuff, sure I can add an extra check box or two during character creation to toggle on and off whichever parts you could want.  Does that cover the futanari side of things or is there more specific content that would need to go along with it?  I'm assuming any animations could piggyback on the base animations?  or would there need to be another entire set of animations to properly support a player choosing to be futanari?  Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud, but yeah if it's a minimal amount of work and is something players want - no problem but if it's a bunch of work then I would need to focus on higher priority stuff right now. 

No reason not to if you see it as a simple task.
logically futanari would play a "universal" role in animations as they would likely be compatible to both side. Maybe an extra option here and there for "fuck or get fucked" haha.

Otherwise it sounds like you have a pretty good idea of the long term of the game.
A sandbox is a neat idea, just don't go too 'wide and shallow' or to 'deep and narrow' BUT especially at the start try to grasp a malleable foundation to build upon.

As for hair on the goblin, black usually fits well. Short of long and messy, but maybe a simple ponytail, they are pretty universal.

Random note, but if you wanna talk more and/or quicker feel free to hit me up on discord. Not an invitations i hand out often but you seem a pretty cool guy.

On 3/6/2019 at 12:11 PM, b00marrows said:

As for hair on the goblin, black usually fits well. Short of long and messy, but maybe a simple ponytail, they are pretty universal.

You could also go a WoW/ CoC direction and make them look a little punk rock, but that would be up to you and how civilized you want your gobs to be.

As for the futa content, there will probably be people that want certain things for futas and stuff like that, but the specifics can probably be hammered out as you go.  The thing I'd probably recommend is a checkbox for the player during character creation, but also, assuming you've got enemies that spawn with some degree of randomization, maybe a slider that affects how likely npcs are to spawn as futa.  I feel like that would be the best way to handle it, some people want no futa, some want all futa, and some want futa to be something of a unicorn they just find sometimes.  Maybe if we're getting really crazy there could be sliders that affect race probability kinda like with Schlongs of Skyrim, but that sounds like a lot more work than is necessary at this point.

On 2/27/2019 at 6:10 AM, slaen said:

It seems like everything is going to be a balancing act.  Finding systems that are fun and compelling and fit into the overall tone of the game.  There was a thread I was reading through over on the Skyrim part of these boards where people briefly touched on the merits of Morrowind's melee system with it's dice rolls and missed swings.  That was an idea that I thought was universally disliked but it sounded like people enjoyed it for the sense of roleplaying.  So if your character is terrible at melee combat but the person behind the computer is good with a mouse and keyboard then there's this disconnect whenever you end up fighting anything.   The thread I'm talking about for reference :

I've been slowly putting together all of the resources I need to take a crack at the combat system.  Which means lots of time working on animations, making a few weapon models, and also working on some monsters for the player to fight.  Since I'm sticking with a lot of the standard fantasy tropes the beginning area will need to have goblins roaming around.  I'm still messing with the proportions a bit and I'm not totally happy with the outfit but the model is coming along.  Also need to figure out a hairstyle. 

For combat I've to say a Minecraft style combat system will be OK.

Though the PC or NPC should not be able to move freely during a melee action.

not sure if mentioned before or yet.., since im reading when i have a lack of much to do..,(but really looking for something to jump on to pass the time..,)

that was previously talked about..,

one thing that was missed in T.i.T.S. was restraints, and things that generally block possible actions from happening.., (ie, for some reason character has something on them that does not allow for a certain thing to occur.., or say your in a relationship/agreement with a NPC.., and for that, they deny you from being able to do Etc Action, and such use )

Belts, locks, harnesses, etc.., so only them(unless an npc, or oneself is able to unlock/break it) can do said things, or just plainly deny you of things..,

only thing about it, is that it also has to do with equipment slots.., and etc.., but it would add to roleplayability.., but also prevent certain things happen to you, or you doing things..,

(im sure if the technical side of things is doable, the visual side can also take some leeway, if it seems to not be able to fit with clothing..,)\

another thing.., if there is crafting.., would it possible to have a design, and material way about it.., where if you wanted to keep the shape of a certain item, but the materials used dictate the color, and strength of it..,

may be abit to think about.., but so far looking well.., (understandable if its a bit to do)

i mention the part of restraints/chastity/locks cause i remember reading once, about T.i.T.S. how such a system flew past their mind, and implementing it now, would be a complete redoing of how the game worked.., (though both are different..,)

Finally got the skeleton of a combat system into the game

https://gfycat.com/HiddenQuaintHypsilophodon

There's a lot that is placeholder here.  All of the animations are rough and I haven't taken the time to fix any of the blending between them yet.  I need to go back and do a pass on the character rig relatively soon and once that is done I'll start working on actually getting some polished animations done. 

So, first person and third person melee combat both work right now.  I'm using notifies in the animations to trigger when the player is dealing damage and when the player can attack again.  Once damage is triggered it enables the collision object on the melee weapon.  The weapon will then keep track of any actors that it touches and deal damage.  My thinking is that this way I can make new weapons feel different by changing up their swing animations as well as collision objects. 

One of the other things I did try was making each swing move the character forward a step or two similar to something like Dark Souls.  It would lock the player's control once the swing started and give it back after the swing ended.  It looked really cool in third person view and was starting to feel really good.  Then I test the same thing in the first person view and it felt terrible.  There isn't nearly as much visual feedback in the first person view to let the player know that they are winding up for a swing or recovering from one so it just feels like the camera is lagging or your character is acting on their own.  I know Skyrim does lock the player's control on power attacks but during common melee swings the player still has full control.  Maybe I just need to dig through other first person melee games, I have been meaning to grab Vermintide at some point and see how they handled things but I think they might be first person only?  Are there any examples of games that have good melee combat where you can switch between first person and third person?

On 3/12/2019 at 6:39 AM, alcurad90 said:

For combat I've to say a Minecraft style combat system will be OK.

Though the PC or NPC should not be able to move freely during a melee action. 

What makes you say the character shouldn't move during melee actions?  Is it for the gameplay feel?  or a difficulty thing?

On 3/16/2019 at 4:42 PM, netherus666 said:

so im guessing its a male protag game

Nope, the player can be male or female and there will be some options in between.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:44 AM, GTKHLK1st said:

Belts, locks, harnesses, etc.., so only them(unless an npc, or oneself is able to unlock/break it) can do said things, or just plainly deny you of things..,

only thing about it, is that it also has to do with equipment slots.., and etc.., but it would add to roleplayability.., but also prevent certain things happen to you, or you doing things..,

I'm not sure that I understand.  Would the system you're talking about be like an armor slot over the characters crotch that would prevent sex scenes?  Something like those chastity belts from the last Mad Max film?  Or are you thinking more like full body suits and stuff that would need custom animations?  Is there a Skyrim mod that does something similar already as an example?  I'm not sure I'm picturing the right sort of thing.

Oh, and going back to the futa stuff from earlier.  Once I do another pass on the character creation system I'll put those options in.  I'm also starting to think about those randomization options for NPC's and stuff like you were talking about Just Checking. 

For your melee dilemma, maybe look at Kingdom Come, if I remember right I think that one limited your ability to move during a swing. 

Would it be possible to, instead of making the character move forward a couple steps on swing, keep the character facing the direction of the camera during battle and just strafe around and backstep and things like that, then on swings they take a small step in the direction they're already moving?  That might make first person feel less like you're losing control because it's still taking you in the desired direction, just much slower.  A little tactical and also might feel a bit better in first person.  It might require more animations or tweaks to existing ones to be done to look ok in third person, though.  Other than that, it looks really good, it's kind of cool to watch a project take shape like this, keep up the great work.