[UE4] Feign - An Adult Fantasy RPG [In Development]

9 hours ago, slaen said:

what if virginity is a thing to the player?  Like a self imposed difficulty thing.  The player's lust won't increase until it is lost. 

I actually quite like that idea, and the raising or lowering libido.  Basically everything I could hope for personally, after that it'd just be a matter of working out what kind of effects higher lust should have on a character.

9 hours ago, slaen said:

But let me know if I should check our some of those skyrim or oblivion mods if they won't take too long to get a feel for their mechanics.

If you've already got the games with the basic mod setup you need for them to run, it doesn't take long at all to figure them out.  In fact, it's really just a matter of starting a new game and waiting with them enabled.  If you don't have them set up yet, just finding the bits and pieces you need to make it all run might take you a bit of time.

On these two topics, Sexlab Aroused also has a thing sort of like the libido idea you mentioned, the more sex you have the faster your character tends to become aroused again, and going periods without sex will slowly cause arousal gain to plateau, and eventually even drop back off.  In my experience, characters in a high libido state will become extremely aroused in a matter of only a day or two, and a very low libido won't raise at all past about 20% without some form of external interaction.  Or just having more sex to raise your libido again.

I've tried your proof of concept and I really like the art style you've picked up, and you have a good foundation for the gameplay mechanics. 

But just a thougth about combat: have you considered doing turn-based combat? because I think it can be more easy to tune than real time combat. Something similar to JRPG combat style, but I'm thinking more of a CoC or TiTS aproach, but with a 3d representation of the combat. So, while in combat you'll have a list of options: physical attacks, physical defense, magic, items, abilities, and your sexy moves, each one with their correspondent animation and effect on the enemy . Normal attacks (including conventional magic and items) affect the health bar, and your armor protects you from this type of damage. Sexy moves, sex magic and sex concoctions affect the arousal bar, and the libido stat determines the amount of arousal done (te less libido, the less the arousal). The moment the health bar reaches 0 or the arousal reaches the maximum value, the combat is lost. 

That allows you to control  the flow of the combat and you don't have to worry about movement and hitting, hit boxes and all that stuff. To enter combat you just aproach an enemy and you hit them (as we do in the proof of concept) and then the turn based combat starts (or an NPC aproaches you and hits you). For multiple oponents you can determine a radius of effect, and all actors inside it will participate in the fight. For stealth combat, you'll do the same, but the combat only envolves the targeted enemy, and you'd start with an attack with a large amount of damage or arousal.

When the battle is over, you can engage directly in the sex scenes without any transition, in a similar UI as the combat. Of course if you loose, the NPCs will do whatever they want with you (sex, looting, both, none... depending of your foe), so you can't do anything but move the scene forward. But If you win, you can choose different paths: leave the enemies alone (after looting), so they will remain in the scenario in the stunned position (you can interact with them for sex, as in the proof of concept); or you engage in sex, choosing from different options with different outcomes: good standing after sex, so they will wander freely in the scenario, but being friendly to the player (you can talk to them for more sex, or trade, or whatever); bad standing after sex, so they'll remain the map in the stunned position (same as leaving them alone); loosing in sex, so you have win in combat, but during sex you have been overcome by the enemy (you'll pass out after sex and the NPC will flee, i.e. banish, from the map); or any other outcome you want to provide (that can include mutations and other effects on the player).

You may even establish a chance to recruit an enemy after  selecting the appropriate set of interactions with them.

terrainChanges.thumb.jpg.f557f58720731d8e47090ab71f6beb46.jpg

Mostly doing technical cleanup this week.  I noticed the landscape was eating up a bunch of texture resources so I started digging in to solutions.  I ended up rebaking out the entire heightmap and stepping down the resolution so the space the landscape takes up is still the same it just has less geometry and should run better at the cost of a little bit of terrain fine detail.  I figure I can offset that detail loss with static terrain meshes and foliage and it won't be too noticeable.  

The screenshot is the debug stuff I get to stare at when I'm doing similar work.  The left image is the before and the main thing I'm fixing is the Terrain_Heightmap memory.  Dropped it from 341 MB down to 85 MB.  Which now I can use that texture memory on other things than just the ground.  

I also decided to revamp the starting area a bit adding more changes in elevation to limit the sight lines and let the engine cull out the parts that aren't visible and at the same time shorten up the travel distances between points of interest.  It should make the area feel more full and increase performance.  Hopefully this is the last major landscape change that needs to be done moving forward and should give me a decent base.  

I made some new rocks to use for cliff faces and to fill out some of the terrain.  I was looking back at how they handled the terrain in Skyrim and they use rock static meshes everywhere to add interest and detail to the terrain.

On 10/16/2019 at 3:48 AM, Just Checking said:

If you've already got the games with the basic mod setup you need for them to run, it doesn't take long at all to figure them out.  In fact, it's really just a matter of starting a new game and waiting with them enabled.  If you don't have them set up yet, just finding the bits and pieces you need to make it all run might take you a bit of time.

Cool, well I'll try to get that lust system in and roughly working once I get a chance.  Same with checking out those mods.  It's nice having something that I can take a break from work with but still be sort of working or researching for the game. 

On 10/17/2019 at 9:05 AM, Zhukov said:

I've tried your proof of concept and I really like the art style you've picked up, and you have a good foundation for the gameplay mechanics. 

But just a thougth about combat: have you considered doing turn-based combat?

Thanks!  It's been a long road so far just to get here and there's a bunch left still to go but it's really getting to the fun part of making content for the game rather than focusing on those foundation pieces.

Hah, oh man turn based combat definitely has some features and qualities that can't be done with a realtime combat system.  I was looking at Under the Witch recently too and the developers did a lot of what you're talking about.  The camera cuts to different scenes and angles make more sense with the turn based system and you also know exactly where the camera will be so it's easier to fake certain poses or positions that if you can spin around with a free camera just look sort of weird.  Like you mentioned also how in Monster Girl Quest Paradox they have some similar systems like the recruitment after combat.  The downside though for my game is that I haven't been making a turn based combat system so at this point I would need to go back and rework maybe 5 or 6 months worth of work.  I still do plan on using a lot of the mechanics that you mention they'll just be in realtime combat - the sex moves, magic, and the ability to choose how you'll deal with a defeated opponent and how they will react to that.  Hopefully it won't be super far off from what you're looking for but at this point with this project switching over to turn based combat just isn't feasible. 

Thanks for the feedback and the ideas and for checking out the game.  This stuff is super helpful it makes me think through my design choices and see them from other perspectives as well as helps me understand what people are looking for as far as mechanics and systems. 

On 10/26/2019 at 8:21 PM, Wasmachensachen said:

Just found the game and joined your patreon with 25$ because it looks VERY promising. I love the fact that you take fable as your reference, loved all three games of the series. What do you think of modding btw. Will you support it in the future?

The artstyle is gorgeous, it really comes close to fable.

Wow, thanks!  The support is really appreciated! 

As for mod support I really would like to but I haven't found an easy way to add modding support yet.  It looks like anyone that wants to mod the game would need to download the entire Unreal 4 engine separately then download all of my source files and then build their own pak files.  At least that's what it looks like from my bits of research.   I'm hoping that Epic comes up with an easier solution for modding in the future or just streamlines the process.  It is something that I want to add but I would also want the game to be in a more stable and polished state so that people don't have to dig through my unorganized files and deal with features and systems changing every patch.

Also I'm with you in being a fan of Fable.  Every so often I see a news story pop up about a new Fable 4 game being in development.  It would be really cool to get another official release even though I'm sure all of the original developers are long gone by this point in time. 

headpresets02.thumb.jpg.5accd8662d06380ebd0a55973a43f498.jpg

Worked on some new head presets for the character editor.  Still need to break them into the individual pieces and hook them into the engine but the hard part is done.  I figure I can keep updating the character editor over time as I start needing new faces for specific NPC characters.  But this will double the amount of base facial features that people can use for generating their characters in the next build.  

The slime girl has a full set of blendshapes for her head and is ready for another rigging pass.  I still need to do the facial control setup and constraints inside of Maya and then she'll be ready for full animations.

Did some FX practice.  I'm starting to get comfortable with the cascade ui finally.  Then I saw this really cool 3d noise feature that is in Niagara (the newer fx editor in UE4) so I opened up the UI for that... oh, that's going to take some getting use to.  Just the overview page from the UE4 wiki:  https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Niagara/CascadeToNiagara/index.html

Don't know what kind of roadmap you have. But if I were you I'd put in as many enemies as possible and then some animations for them. You would then be able to attract a large supporter base. People when they play these kind of games generally come for the sex first and story second.

Oh and you might spice things up with some interesting mechanics. Such as reproduction with unique enemies for example.

blacksmith_wip_01.thumb.jpg.1e767d8289b219965838eb6fb387f86c.jpg

Worked a bit on the blacksmith outfit.  It's crazy how many NPC clothing sets are needed to fill out the characters in town.  I also went back and looked at Skyrim's first town Riverwood.  If I counted correctly there's 14 different outfits in that one small town alone. So I sat down and worked out a quick list of the necessary NPC outfits I would like to have for Feign's starting town.  Tavern employees, blacksmith (sculpt shown above), general store owner, town sheriff, mayor, misc farmers, and probably make some new town guard armor.  Getting all of that stuff done should make the town feel a lot more alive and populated rather than just having the same 2 people duplicated everywhere and wandering around.  Am I forgetting anything for characters that should be in the typical rpg starting town?  

Slime girl animations are in progress finally!

Did a few fixes to the time of day and waiting/resting mechanic.  It should be more stable now and I also added a fade in/out effect to let people know it's working.  Otherwise if the player was indoors there would be no change or indication that anything had happened.

On 10/29/2019 at 12:30 PM, Durante said:

Don't know what kind of roadmap you have. But if I were you I'd put in as many enemies as possible and then some animations for them. You would then be able to attract a large supporter base. People when they play these kind of games generally come for the sex first and story second.

Oh and you might spice things up with some interesting mechanics. Such as reproduction with unique enemies for example.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I definitely hear what you're saying and I'm hoping over the next few patches to do roughly what you're suggesting.  Testing the dynamic spawn systems from last month was sort of the first step.  The next step will be placing those in quantity around the map and beginning to get that initial gameplay loop working.  The spawners will reset roughly every day or two of ingame time.  My thinking being that the player will be able to leave town, find the encounter(s) that they want to experience, finish those encounters, then return to town to heal and sleep for the night, and then be able to go out and repeat that all the next day.  Which isn't exactly the same as an army of goblins wandering around outside of town but is more of a stepping stone to more complex game systems and quests as the game develops. 

As for reproduction with unique enemies and interesting mechanics pregnancy seems to be a frequently requested feature.  I'm currently looking into how feasible and time consuming implementing it would be.  However I sort of want to avoid putting children or young offspring into the game because creating the models and animations for them would be a huge amount of time.  But is that what you were thinking of?  or were you thinking of something else?

blacksmith_wip_02.jpg.c107397a3c8dc31ee32d6ef9f411a4a5.jpg

I was thinking, what if the player doesn't want to fight everything in sight?  What if they wanted to play a more peaceful role in the world?  What if they wanted to solve their problem with love instead of violence?  So I started putting together the mechanics for non-violent encounters.  This won't be ready this next build but maybe in a rough state in the December build.  It will allow the player to either attempt to talk their way out of an encounter or else just let the NPC to have their way with them.  This also will need a way of dealing with the player respawning after being "defeated" since the current default behavior is to simply spawn back in town.  But what if the player wants to go to the next town over (once I actually have that made and in the game) but the want to experience encounters along the way without having their progress reset after each one.  I was thinking that most monsters, assuming the player doesn't resist, would have a bit of fun and exhaust the player without actually damaging the player's health.  That way at the end of a scene I can test to see if the player's health has been reduced to a point that they would pass out and be revived in town or if they just needed a few moments to catch their breath and continue their journey from where they are.  Thoughts? ideas? feedback?  I'm still fleshing out the systems so I'm sure there's a few cases I haven't considered yet.  

Almost done the textures for the blacksmith outfit.  Still a few things I want to do and then I need to make the blendshapes for all the different body types. 

Worked on the AI a bit.  AI has the basics for dealing with day/night activities.  As well as only having some AI perform specific tasks.  After the next build comes out wait until nighttime and watch the guards in town for a bit.  Currently these tasks are tied into the AI perception radius which is relatively small so it's easier to test and this will get iterated on in the future.  

Regarding the peaceful solutions idea, I'd probably say depending on just how... vigorous the encounter was, you might end up just tired for a few minutes or perhaps pass out for a time and wake up later.  Depending on how you're planning to have day/night play a role in spawns or monster behavior, it could end up putting the player in a different kind of danger when they wake up and find the monsters prowling around might be more deadly varieties, or perhaps less inclined toward the peaceful resolution of their encounters.  That way at least the player isn't going to just freely fuck their way through literally everything, there's at least a degree of tactics to deciding whether to fight, bang or run.  Or perhaps one kind of creature having had their way with the player locks out peaceful encounters with others for a time after.  If you roll up to some scary monster reeking of their natural enemy, they might not feel particularly accommodating.

download_button4.jpg.d8aabc7fafe38d8cc418e2e70a744e6d.jpg

Download Feign Proof of Concept Build 1.4

I found out that the dynamic spawners are broken at the very last minute.  If the AI has gotten outside of their spawn bounds and then triggers a scene bad things end up happening.  Rather than put people through that I just disabled all the spawners and dropped in static NPCs around the town area.  It isn't ideal but I wanted to get a build out on time.

Also slime girls and imps don't have scenes or combat in game yet.  The slime girls I have their win vs. male player scene almost ready but then I remembered I don't have their attack animations ready so there is no way for them to attack or knock anyone down and then no way to see those scenes.  The slime girl will also be the first character to have facial animations during her scenes and I'm using her as a test bed for that workflow.  

Version 1.4 Changelist:

• 5 new face shape presets in character creation
  • Blacksmith outfit
  • AI now understands and uses objects in the world based upon time of day
  • AI will dynamically follow assigned waypoint pathing
  • The system is in place for dialogue barks (short one sentence "you know what's wrong with skyrim these days?" sort of thing) Still need to write and implement them though
  • Map Optimization and detailing
  • Post Processing updates - depth of field and color grading
  • Resting / Waiting bug fixes
  • Flowers
  • Misc. fixes to environment collisions and textures

On 11/13/2019 at 2:25 PM, Just Checking said:

Regarding the peaceful solutions idea, I'd probably say depending on just how... vigorous the encounter was, you might end up just tired for a few minutes or perhaps pass out for a time and wake up later.  Depending on how you're planning to have day/night play a role in spawns or monster behavior, it could end up putting the player in a different kind of danger when they wake up and find the monsters prowling around might be more deadly varieties, or perhaps less inclined toward the peaceful resolution of their encounters.  That way at least the player isn't going to just freely fuck their way through literally everything, there's at least a degree of tactics to deciding whether to fight, bang or run.  Or perhaps one kind of creature having had their way with the player locks out peaceful encounters with others for a time after.  If you roll up to some scary monster reeking of their natural enemy, they might not feel particularly accommodating.

Hmm you make a really good point.  See I knew I was forgetting something.  I'll need to sit down and put some thought into it.  Off the top of my head just thinking about how other games handle similar systems:

In Corruption of Champions losing in combat results in a few hours passing and the victor taking some of the player's money

Monster Girl Dreams losing results in being assigned a new weakness to a specific type of attack or creature

Outward has the player fade to black and then respawn a short distance away and sometimes plays a unique scene of what happened while the player was out

There's also the Skyrim Death Alternative mod ideas: possibility of capture, enslavement, or waking up safely back at the inn

There could be faction reputation changes

Physical transformations or changes would also be possible - not sure if this would be a good thing because then it takes the choice out of the player's hands a bit

I guess I'm trying to picture what would be the most fun as the player.  I want it to be a totally valid playstyle and not to punish the playstyle but having consequences that would help roleplay and feed into that playstyle I think is the way to go.  Not quite sure how to handle that though.

35 minutes ago, slaen said:

In Corruption of Champions losing in combat results in a few hours passing and the victor taking some of the player's money

Monster Girl Dreams losing results in being assigned a new weakness to a specific type of attack or creature

Outward has the player fade to black and then respawn a short distance away and sometimes plays a unique scene of what happened while the player was out

There's also the Skyrim Death Alternative mod ideas: possibility of capture, enslavement, or waking up safely back at the inn

There could be faction reputation changes

Physical transformations or changes would also be possible - not sure if this would be a good thing because then it takes the choice out of the player's hands a bit

I guess I'm trying to picture what would be the most fun as the player.  I want it to be a totally valid playstyle and not to punish the playstyle but having consequences that would help roleplay and feed into that playstyle I think is the way to go.  Not quite sure how to handle that though.

You could just flesh this out as options in the late stages of game development.

Want to gain a fetish/weakness from continuous loses to a specific enemy? Tick a box in the options

Want to be temporarily captured? Set the % chances.

Stat penalties and money loss should be non-optional by default.

The final wrap on all of this would be some role-play elements to reflect being captured or from the newly gained weakness and enemy encounter.

8 hours ago, slaen said:

Honestly some manner of noticeable change to the player probably wouldn't be bad, the thing is you could have it work by how frequently you throw yourself to the mercy of your enemies.  A few times every once in a while won't have an effect, but if you keep getting yourself caught out by the same enemy, maybe some kind of transformations would make sense vs some appropriate enemies.  For instance, maybe slimes' surfaces secrete some kind of magic hormone that eventually cause fluid producing organs to enlarge with prolonged exposure, since I'm guessing these slimes are less the "kill and digest their prey" and more the "suck them off for seven hours" type, it would make some degree of sense for them to have something that facilitates more food coming their way from their favourite targets.  Or from the same example, maybe exposure to them will turn the player slime-like.  I figure if you can make it more or less reasonable for what can cause the transformations, by all means have them in, and by making it a matter of needing to be exposed numerous times, it's by that point less taking the choice away from the player and more asking the player just what choice they want to make, lose repeatedly to the monster to get the transformation or go do something else for a while so your... tolerance or whatever can return to normal.

Daym! You've really nailed the art-style for the game and for a solo project it looks incredible, well done! My internet is super slow at the moment so I can't download and test it yet but had to drop by and send some words of encouragement, it's looking really good.

Was also curious about your workflow when it comes to apps if you don't mind sharing? Like do you work in Blender/Zbrush -> Substance -> UE4?

On 11/15/2019 at 5:20 PM, Durante said:

You could just flesh this out as options in the late stages of game development.

Want to gain a fetish/weakness from continuous loses to a specific enemy? Tick a box in the options

Want to be temporarily captured? Set the % chances.

Stat penalties and money loss should be non-optional by default.

The final wrap on all of this would be some role-play elements to reflect being captured or from the newly gained weakness and enemy encounter.

Very true, it might be a bit overwhelming for first time players going to the options menu and seeing percentage sliders for everything but I'm guessing a player who really enjoys the game would appreciate having that level of control over the experience.  I'll need to keep that in mind as I'm working on those features so that there's easy hooks to use for the options menu. 

On 11/16/2019 at 1:36 AM, Just Checking said:

Honestly some manner of noticeable change to the player probably wouldn't be bad, the thing is you could have it work by how frequently you throw yourself to the mercy of your enemies.  A few times every once in a while won't have an effect, but if you keep getting yourself caught out by the same enemy, maybe some kind of transformations would make sense vs some appropriate enemies.  For instance, maybe slimes' surfaces secrete some kind of magic hormone that eventually cause fluid producing organs to enlarge with prolonged exposure, since I'm guessing these slimes are less the "kill and digest their prey" and more the "suck them off for seven hours" type, it would make some degree of sense for them to have something that facilitates more food coming their way from their favourite targets.  Or from the same example, maybe exposure to them will turn the player slime-like.  I figure if you can make it more or less reasonable for what can cause the transformations, by all means have them in, and by making it a matter of needing to be exposed numerous times, it's by that point less taking the choice away from the player and more asking the player just what choice they want to make, lose repeatedly to the monster to get the transformation or go do something else for a while so your... tolerance or whatever can return to normal.

That could definitely work.  Maybe even put a quick warning message after the encounter but before any transformation like for the slime transformation "your skin feels a bit strange, it feels almost slimy".  I also like the idea of the tolerance returning to normal over time so then the player can go back to town and rest for a few days and totally recover if they want to avoid the transformation stuff.  Going one step further there could be something in game where the player could go and be "purified" and remove the transformations something like using the shrines in Skyrim.

17 hours ago, Klarate said:

Daym! You've really nailed the art-style for the game and for a solo project it looks incredible, well done! My internet is super slow at the moment so I can't download and test it yet but had to drop by and send some words of encouragement, it's looking really good.

Was also curious about your workflow when it comes to apps if you don't mind sharing? Like do you work in Blender/Zbrush -> Substance -> UE4?

Thanks!  It really helps to hear when people like the work that I'm doing. 

Sure, workflow stuff I'm the most comfortable in Maya for a modeling package so I've got a copy of Maya 2014 for the ARTv1 rigging tools and also for this old but really cool vertex coloring plugin called Vertex Chameleon.  I also have a copy of 2017 sitting around for some of the newer retopology tool options.  So base meshes I'll rough out in maya, sculpting over in zbrush, retop back in maya, uv in maya, baking maps I still use xnormal,  substance for a quick material definition pass, then photoshop for masking and actual texture painting.  Oh and for landscape stuff I was using World Machine for the really large details but end up doing a ton of work and fine detail sculpting when I'm actually in Unreal 4. 

But of course all of the programs are just tools and you could get the same results in pretty much anything.  I've seen incredible artists working in free alternatives like Blender.   A lot of the programs I use because I'm comfortable and fast with them and I know their idiosyncrasies.  Like Xnormal I know how it handles the bakes and envelopes and what kind of results to expect and I don't have to rename or organize my high and low poly meshes.  I also really like the curvature it spits out compared to the bakes that substance gives me.  But again all just my personal preference and I'm not knocking anyone else's programs or workflows this is just what I personally like. 

Hah, hopefully that wasn't too long winded and answered your question.  But feel free to ask any other workflow or technical questions I'll do my best to help out. 

Just a quick progress update this week.

The first half of the week was getting the 1.4 build together and roughly tested.  

I've also been working on the slime girl's animations.  I have her different idle cycles and her ranged attacks done. I'm also testing out the non-violent systems with her and have some rough animations for those as well.  Still need to do her win/loss scene animations for different genders but I think she's coming along really well.   

Lastly I've been doing some bug fixing and tweaks based upon everyone's feedback and bug reports.  Thanks to everyone that's helped out with the bug reports and feedback, I'll try to get to all the major issues when I can find time.  It also looks like the new map broke saved games so if you're having issues spawning in the middle of nowhere or falling out of the sky I'm sorry, I didn't think to check if those were working across different versions.  The easiest and safest fix is to start a new character on a clean installation.  I think I have a way to avoid this in the future or at the very least save the character.  I'll need to do some testing first though and see how tough that will be. 

On 11/18/2019 at 10:55 AM, Cyriann said:

Had a test and it is fun, the proof of concept holds its function.

I join a few others in saying turn based battling would probably help controlling the flow of things.

Thanks!  It's really cool seeing all the individual pieces actually coming together.  One small step at a time.

The turn based battling I do agree in a lot of respects that it would help controlling the flow of things in combat.  It would give the player a lot of time for each attack or skill selection and the ability to only move forward in combat when they wanted to.  But there are things that a real time system will do better as well.  I think at the end of the day it's just a design decision based upon my personal preferences.  I'm also trying to keep the "juicier" bits of the encounter systems as something the player has a lot of control over the pacing of.  Like the sex scene systems I'm giving control over to the player on how and when to advance through the animations there.  But is there something specific that I'm missing from the turn based systems?  There might be ways I could take some of the cool mechanics from a turn based system and with some tweaking get those working in the real time one. 

Really enjoyed what you've done so far! I'm a gay man, so I just added the vagina to my character as well as penis and balls and it allowed me to have the missing animations. I think a sexuality feature would be useful in future, if it just means enabling animations previously not enabled. It did suck I also had to be killed in order for the missionary animation.

No other complaints! Really well executed! I'm currently making a game in UE4 myself and I wonder did you make all the character models and morph targets yourself?

On 11/19/2019 at 5:29 PM, Zhiqua said:

Really enjoyed what you've done so far! I'm a gay man, so I just added the vagina to my character as well as penis and balls and it allowed me to have the missing animations. I think a sexuality feature would be useful in future, if it just means enabling animations previously not enabled. It did suck I also had to be killed in order for the missionary animation.

No other complaints! Really well executed! I'm currently making a game in UE4 myself and I wonder did you make all the character models and morph targets yourself?

Cool, I'm glad you liked it!  Yeah, the sex scene selection is relatively limited at this early stage in development.  I do plan on adding more options and positions as I can find the time. Which should cover the issues that you've mentioned I think it mostly comes down to needing the animations to support vaginal vs. anal sex which I've had other requests for as well.    I've also thought about doing a cheat code that will just unlock every possible position but then it might look a bit odd depending on what the player has for anatomy options. 

As for the character work yeah, that's all me.  It's part of the reason I limited the number of body types instead of going super in depth on the body morphs.  It would just get crazy trying to make outfits and armor sets if each one of them needed like 20 morphs that would all work well with each other.  As it is it takes half a day per armor set to make the body types and then check those in game. 

Good luck with your game project! It's always good to see new UE4 adult games popping up.  Let me know if I can answer any questions or offer advice, not that I'm a super expert or anything but I might be able to steer you in the right direction at least. 

tavern_02.jpg.fc27664df6bb302793dedddf68419b61.jpg

I was working on making the tavern not feel quite so empty. I roughed out a bunch of different props to get an idea of the level of "clutter" around the place. Still a lot more to do but one step at a time.

Dialogue now has the ability to initiate sex scenes. Limited functionality but part of the larger "non-violent" features I'm working on.

Testing out time controls in the game as well. Hotkeys for speeding up time (insert), slowing down time (delete), pause (end), reset timescale to normal (home). Also added an unlock camera with a weapon readied (equals), and toggle HUD(backspace).

Worked on a number of bug fixes for things the new map broke on the last release.

Tweaked a few AI settings to help prioritize targets. If guards were attacked while patrolling they would still walk to their next waypoint before actually doing anything to their attacker.

Working on some sounds, ai, and animation this week. 

The slime girl almost has a full set of animations.  She still needs 2 more scenes to cover all of her basic animations and then it's just a matter of setting things up in game.  I've also been working on some test animations with her for the grappling system and the non-violent systems.  Those animations will probably be placeholder at first until I get the systems sorted out but I'm hoping to have at least some of that stuff working in the next build.  The animations also tie in pretty heavily to how I end up implementing the actual mechanics and the AI that then uses those mechanics.  It's like I'm juggling 3 different systems at once and then trying to get them all to fit together correctly.  It might take a few iterations.  

I also started implementing sounds.  At the moment I'm using assets from the marketplace to see what the workflow is like.  I really didn't realize how much goes into the sound work on games and I'm pretty sure I've only just scratched the surface.  So far I've added just a few basic sounds on things like sword swings and footsteps.  I need to look into adding a volume control in the options menu now too.

On 12/4/2019 at 6:19 AM, slaen said:

I also started implementing sounds.  At the moment I'm using assets from the marketplace to see what the workflow is like.  I really didn't realize how much goes into the sound work on games and I'm pretty sure I've only just scratched the surface.  So far I've added just a few basic sounds on things like sword swings and footsteps.  I need to look into adding a volume control in the options menu now too.

Wasn't there some producer that insisted on having like 400 unique footstep sounds in their game?  Imagine being the poor schmuck that has to implement all those.

Also I haven't been on here for a little bit, so it's cool to see that weekly progress updates are still happening.  Good luck with your AI.  As funny as it is watching AI in a game break, I imagine trying to prevent that exact thing is a daunting and frustrating task on one's own.

mino_wip_01.thumb.jpg.2cb39547ba1d00721d57beefbf498255.jpg

Found a little bit of time to do some sculpting.  This guy still needs a lot of love like some actual hair and a loincloth that isn't just a placeholder.  I threw a rough version of him into the game to get an idea of how he would relate to the other characters.  He's a full head taller than the human characters and I think he'll be properly intimidating when he's done.  

Most of the week was spent working on the slime girl assets.  I almost have all of her scenes in game, setup, and working.  There's a few bugs I need to work out with her attack animations.

The non-violent systems are also coming along.  There's a few kinks that I need to figure out like when exactly an NPC will use non-violent options and when they'll just use regular attacks.  At the moment I have it set that if the player doesn't have a weapon readied in their hand then the slime girl will use the non-violent options but once the player readies a weapon then the slime girl will use regular attacks.  This whole system will probably take some iteration but I think this will be a solid first step.

19 hours ago, Just Checking said:

Wasn't there some producer that insisted on having like 400 unique footstep sounds in their game?  Imagine being the poor schmuck that has to implement all those.

Also I haven't been on here for a little bit, so it's cool to see that weekly progress updates are still happening.  Good luck with your AI.  As funny as it is watching AI in a game break, I imagine trying to prevent that exact thing is a daunting and frustrating task on one's own.

Oh man, I can't imagine doing that much sound work especially if it was just to sate the ego of some creative director or something.  Now I could be wrong on this but to me it seems like sound, when done well, is something the player won't even really consciously notice but at the same time it will have a huge impact on how they feel and react to whatever they're experiencing.  But then when it's done poorly it's almost like having a headache and totally pulls people out of the experience. 

Hah, thanks.  It's getting close to an entire year worth of development so far.  Come a long way since putting together that first version of the character editor. 

The AI is a huge learning experience for me at this point still.  There's one particular bug, when the player has knocked down an NPC the NPC is supposed to stay still but sometimes they will end up continuously rotating to face the direction of the player, I've "fixed" this multiple times and have a number of sanity checks in my code to stop it  but it keeps coming back and under conditions that are really difficult to replicate. 

God damn that dude is shredded.  Looking forward to seeing him in action, running my poor guy down and punching him/her to the moon.  Are you going for a savage, bestial type mino like Elder Scrolls or maybe something a bit more intelligent and coordinated, like it's another race of almost humanoids rather than just a vicious monster?

Also that sounds like an absolute mess, the rotating character thing.  Congratulations, you've found your code nemesis, every update you make will somehow cause that bug and require it's own patch to kill again.