Blender help: Weird shiny mesh output

fenrato

Hello.  I have been feeling around in the dark trying to edit a hodgepodge of materials from different meshes to create the desired object.  I'm trying to create a pair of shoes in SSE.  I borrowed a foot mesh from Xinafay's heels mod from 5 years ago.  Nothing I did got the ankles from that mod to sync up with the SSE CBBE body, so I've spent most of the day teaching myself things with Blender.

Xinafay's foot mesh has 10 vertices on each ankle, and the CBBE body has 20; I selected the ankle vertices and subdivided them evenly with quad/tri mode enabled.  I was able to snap the ankle vertices to their matching counterparts on the CBBE body mesh.  I exported the result to an .OBJ and opened it in Outfit Studio.  After I applied textures to the edited foot mesh, it came out with a weird non-skinlike shine; in-game it shows up as very dark and almost metallic-looking.  In Blender I recalculated normals and also made sure that the material settings for the foot mesh matched those of the body.

I have never done mesh editing in Blender before, and I have been Googling this extensively (and will continue).  There is some setting or part of this process that I am missing in my unfamiliarity.  I hope someone here wouldn't mind offering some helpful advice.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:04 AM, fenrato said:

Hello.  I have been feeling around in the dark trying to edit a hodgepodge of materials from different meshes to create the desired object.  I'm trying to create a pair of shoes in SSE.  I borrowed a foot mesh from Xinafay's heels mod from 5 years ago.  Nothing I did got the ankles from that mod to sync up with the SSE CBBE body, so I've spent most of the day teaching myself things with Blender.

Xinafay's foot mesh has 10 vertices on each ankle, and the CBBE body has 20; I selected the ankle vertices and subdivided them evenly with quad/tri mode enabled.  I was able to snap the ankle vertices to their matching counterparts on the CBBE body mesh.  I exported the result to an .OBJ and opened it in Outfit Studio.  After I applied textures to the edited foot mesh, it came out with a weird non-skinlike shine; in-game it shows up as very dark and almost metallic-looking.  In Blender I recalculated normals and also made sure that the material settings for the foot mesh matched those of the body.

I have never done mesh editing in Blender before, and I have been Googling this extensively (and will continue).  There is some setting or part of this process that I am missing in my unfamiliarity.  I hope someone here wouldn't mind offering some helpful advice.

Oh, it's simple. I got ya. Here do this.

Port the mesh out of OS as a nif with reference. It doesn't have to have bones attached to it. It'll look like this when you open it up in nifskope. 

Spoiler

image.png.ec10877a58430bfb5796a0ba9d39388c.png

Now you're going to select. The mesh itself and you'll see a menu which looks like this.

Spoiler

image.png.cfa2c16be3e89537dbb9289632e5acda.png

Next Select this section.

Spoiler

image.png.b54bf8605d951d18dbf15042ac3ab74e.png

Next make sure you make it look like this. 

Spoiler

image.png.2cf9751dba577a36b1f4fbb352306be3.png

Don't worry, we're not done yet. =P

Now you've got to select this part. The BSLightShaderProperty inside the mesh.

Spoiler

image.png.85ab6721a577fc9cca30f764459d530d.png

Next go up to this section and add the Model_Space_Normals and FaceGen_RGB_Tint to the menu. 

Spoiler

image.png.467e490339ab1e71256aec3b8cc19fdc.png

Afterwards you go down to the second list and add soft_lighting to the bar below the one I just showed you and you're good to go. =D

Spoiler

image.png.0df033e242f39a634e39155e7f93e858.png

Save your nif and import it back into OS and have fun. Cheers. 

I wish someone had shown me this a long time ago. Ousnius helped me figure it out, but I've just given you the easiest possible tutorial ever. Hopefully this helps people down the road.

Tooneyman23 --> Thank you very much.  I usually don't ask for assistance because many times it's difficult to walk the line between asking for something that more experienced people see as easy or something I should be able to do myself.  Thanks for being helpful and not calling me a n00b (or worse).  I appreciate your patience and compassion.

Vortec --> Thank you for both the mesh and the shoes.  I'll play around with them.

SpyVsPie -->

Spoiler

I'll give you more context, and hopefully answer your 'why not.'  I have been wanting a good pair of ballet pointe shoes.  I actually requested it (and said I was willing to pay) and no one responded.  lazman made a pointe shoe; I wanted a strapless version, so I plodded around in OS until I figured out how to select and remove the ribbon vertices.  Unfortunately, under the ribbons the actual foot mesh was culled and didn't connect to the ankles on the CBBE body mesh.  Xinafay made some ballerina heels along with other heels for LE Skyrim a few years ago; I didn't want heels on the shoes, but his actual foot mesh was awesome- much more to my liking than the frankensteined lazman mesh I had been working with.  After more plodding around no adjustment of bone weights or slider adjustments got the Xinafay's ankle to match the SSE CBBE body ankle.  After grinding around for an entire weekend I figured out that the vertex count didn't match.  Gave up for a couple of weeks.  Finally realized I wanted the shoes badly enough that I would spend another weekend grinding around with Blender's completely non beginner-friendly stuff and lots of Googling to figure out how to add vertices and possibly make a seamless ankle connection.  Already painfully long story slightly less long: figured it out.  In Blender, the ankle linked with the body, and sans textures looked awesome.  Imported it into OS and... see my leading post.  I was 90% there (or felt like I was 90% there) and after lots of Googling and spending an ungodly and obsessive amount of time on it, I was frustrated and was willing to ask for help at the risk of being called a moron, or getting banned or something for asking dumb questions in the wrong place.

tl;dr version: That mesh doesn't fit the shoe I'm working on.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:06 AM, fenrato said:

Tooneyman23 --> Thank you very much.  I usually don't ask for assistance because many times it's difficult to walk the line between asking for something that more experienced people see as easy or something I should be able to do myself.  Thanks for being helpful and not calling me a n00b (or worse).  I appreciate your patience and compassion.

Vortec --> Thank you for both the mesh and the shoes.  I'll play around with them.

SpyVsPie -->

Reveal hidden contents

I'll give you more context, and hopefully answer your 'why not.'  I have been wanting a good pair of ballet pointe shoes.  I actually requested it (and said I was willing to pay) and no one responded.  lazman made a pointe shoe; I wanted a strapless version, so I plodded around in OS until I figured out how to select and remove the ribbon vertices.  Unfortunately, under the ribbons the actual foot mesh was culled and didn't connect to the ankles on the CBBE body mesh.  Xinafay made some ballerina heels along with other heels for LE Skyrim a few years ago; I didn't want heels on the shoes, but his actual foot mesh was awesome- much more to my liking than the frankensteined lazman mesh I had been working with.  After more plodding around no adjustment of bone weights or slider adjustments got the Xinafay's ankle to match the SSE CBBE body ankle.  After grinding around for an entire weekend I figured out that the vertex count didn't match.  Gave up for a couple of weeks.  Finally realized I wanted the shoes badly enough that I would spend another weekend grinding around with Blender's completely non beginner-friendly stuff and lots of Googling to figure out how to add vertices and possibly make a seamless ankle connection.  Already painfully long story slightly less long: figured it out.  In Blender, the ankle linked with the body, and sans textures looked awesome.  Imported it into OS and... see my leading post.  I was 90% there (or felt like I was 90% there) and after lots of Googling and spending an ungodly and obsessive amount of time on it, I was frustrated and was willing to ask for help at the risk of being called a moron, or getting banned or something for asking dumb questions in the wrong place.

tl;dr version: That mesh doesn't fit the shoe I'm working on.

Well that seems like a good reason! 

Archived