CTD at launch (And other issues in game)

Haven't played Oblivion in over a year, and decided to install it and most of the mods I used (not all) on my new computer. After I was finished, I launched the game through Steam, and did the first time setup stuff. I made sure to copy the .ini file from the My Games folder as well, and imported the load order, to try and be sure that everything would work right. And, as made obvious by the title of this, it did not work right at all. I forgot how much of a pain in the ass modding Oblivion was the first time around... 

Anyway, as stated, the game crashes on launch. Here's my current load order. 

Spoiler

Oblivion.esm

Toaster Says Share v3.esm

Lovers with PK.esm

DLCHorseArmor 

Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp

Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

DLCfrostcrag.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

24HrArenaAliveV2Towers.esp

Knights.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp

Sexdarkness.esp

Nephs Unique Thievery.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Knights of the Nine.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Mehrunes Razor.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Vile Lair.esp

Quest Award Leveller.esp

Advanced Magecraft.esp

Vampire Hunting - Order of the Virtuous Blood.esp

Creature Diversity.esp

Creature Diversity Arachnophobia Patch.esp

Dahyka's Vanilla Racial and Birthsign Tweaksv2.2.esp

Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp

InstantMagicEffects.esp

BrumaGuildReconstructed.esp

Enhanced Grabbing.esp

Slof's Boners! v5.esp

Spell Delete And Item Remove.esp

AddActorValues_example.esp

Realists Kvatch Attack.esp

Kvatch Rebuilt - No More Burned Ground.esp

Consequences_Vile.esp

Toaster Says Share Faction Recruitment.esp

Consequences_Knights.esp

Immersive Weapons.esp

Smarter Mercantile Leveling - Multi.esp

MannimarcoRevisited.esp

Consequences.esp

Kvatch Rebuilt.esp

Vampire Revolution.esp

MaleBodyReplacerV5.esp

DLCFrostcrag  Vwalk .esp

Kvatch Rebuilt  Vwalk .esp

Let There Be Darkness - Cyrodiil + SI.esp

Let There Be Darkness - Knights.esp

Let There Be Darkness - Mehrunes Razor.esp

Vampire Hunting - Order Of The Virtuous Blood Vwalk.esp

Whispered Warning.esp

Dynamic Door Knocking.esp

Duke Patricks - BASIC Script Effect Silencer.esp

Duke Patricks - BASIC Script Effect Silencer NIF REMOVED.esp

RMDailyIncomeV2.esp

See You Sleep DLL.esp

See You Sleep DLL - Vampire Bedroll Anims.esp

See You Sleep DLL - DLCVileLair.esp

LoversAdultPlayPlusforSSP_HookerPatch.esp

LoversMB2.esp LoversBed.esp

LoversTrueCrimeEx.esp

LoversPayBandit.esp

LoversImmoralGuards.esp

RingofMara.esp

Lovers with PK.esp

LoversCalm.esp

LoversHooker.esp

LoversIdleAnimsPriority.esp

LoversAnimObjectsPriority.esp

EVE_KhajiitFix.esp

EVE_KnightsoftheNine.esp

EVE_ShiveringIslesEasterEggs.esp

EVE_StockEquipmentReplacer.esp

Vanilla_Race_Overhaul.esp

StockClothingArmor-forExnems.esp

Oblivion  Vwalk  UOS.esp

DLCShiveringIsles  Vwalk  UOS.esp

DLCShiveringIsles  Vwalk  DG_DS UOS.esp

Knights Vwalk UOP.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor  Vwalk  UOP.esp

DLCOrrery  Vwalk .esp

DLCThievesDen  Vwalk  UOP.esp

Thievery_Normal_Thrill.esp

Can you post your load order ? .... Hope that is a list of your mods , not your load order. :classic_wink:

Hope you have not installed Lovers Mods with Nexus Modmanager ! It will not work .

First run BOSS ( never use LOOT )

Then manually sort ALL Mods BOSS have not sorted.

And sort your Lovers Mods manually.

You have OBSE, Pluggy, ...?

You start your game with OBSE ? ( Steam version the Oblivion exe, no Steam version the OBSE_loader.exe )

After adding many new Mods or change many Mods in the load order always start a new game. Do not use a old save.

Read my yellow Link below.

19 hours ago, fejeena said:

Can you post your load order ? .... Hope that is a list of your mods , not your load order. :classic_wink:

Hope you have not installed Lovers Mods with Nexus Modmanager ! It will not work .

First run BOSS ( never use LOOT )

Then manually sort ALL Mods BOSS have not sorted.

And sort your Lovers Mods manually.

You have OBSE, Pluggy, ...?

You start your game with OBSE ? ( Steam version the Oblivion exe, no Steam version the OBSE_loader.exe )

After adding many new Mods or change many Mods in the load order always start a new game. Do not use a old save.

Read my yellow Link below.

That actually is my current load order. I ran BOSS, but it confused me a bit, and didn't seem to point out anything wrong other than claiming some of the mods needed to be hit with TES4Edit. Do I need to manually put them in the order BOSS lists them?

As for OBSE and Pluggy, yes, I have them. As for old saves, I'm not using the saves from my old computer. I had planned on starting fresh, just using most of the same mods.

You have some mods that are not compatible with the latest version of Lovers, the LAPF:

Sexdarkness.esp - not compatible with the LAPF.  Inferior animations as well.

Slof's Boners! v5.esp  - not needed as the boners won't work right with the new animations and are included in the LAPF

These MUST be at the bottom of your load order:

You have this patch installed, but above the file it is patching:

Could be why you are crashing.  Move any patch file just below the mod it is supposed to patch.

Lovers mods have a recommended load order:  https://www.loverslab.com/topic/4487-please-read-before-posting-here/

Check the readme.txt to see if you were only supposed to install one of these:

Duke Patricks - BASIC Script Effect Silencer.esp

Get rid of this:

Toaster Says Share Faction Recruitment.esp

You can leave the esm file, but delete this as it is a freaking mess that will destabilize your game.

So Sexdarkness is a no-go? Damn, that one was one of my favorites, even if it was pretty silly overall. Know any others that add a similar kind of experience?

Something that might be important to note, I don't think I have the latest version of LAPF. I copied almost all of the archives for my mods from my old computer instead of browsing for them. 

As for Toaster Says Share, if the .esp is bad, might as well get rid of the master too. Again, I haven't run the game once successfully on this computer, and I'm not using any of the old saves either. I'd like to have as stable an experience as possible while still having plenty of fun with my mods. And thanks for pointing out the load order suggestion. I'd missed it when I went over that yesterday.

As for Duke Patricks... yeah, I should've done a bit of reading. A text file that came with it recommends using the NIF removed version.

Went and adjusted my load order, with some help from BOSS. Considering that half of the stuff here was moved around entirely on its own, I have to assume BOSS shifted the load order automatically when I ran it before

Spoiler

Oblivion.esm
Lovers with PK.esm
DLCShiveringIsles.esp
Oblivion Vwalk UOS.esp
DLCShiveringIsles Vwalk UOS.esp
DLCShiveringIsles Vwalk DG_DS UOS.esp
See You Sleep DLL.esp
DLCHorseArmor.esp
DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCOrrery.esp
DLCOrrery Vwalk .esp
DLCVileLair.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor Vwalk UOP.esp
DLCSpellTomes.esp
MaleBodyReplacerV5.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
StockClothingArmor-forExnems.esp
DLCThievesDen.esp
DLCThievesDen Vwalk UOP.esp
Creature Diversity.esp
Kvatch Rebuilt.esp
Kvatch Rebuilt Vwalk .esp
Whispered Warning.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
DLCfrostcrag.esp
DLCFrostcrag Vwalk .esp
Knights.esp
Knights Vwalk UOP.esp
EVE_KnightsoftheNine.esp
Consequences.esp
Consequences_Knights.esp
Consequences_Vile.esp
MannimarcoRevisited.esp
RMDailyIncomeV2.esp
LoversCalm.esp
LoversHooker.esp
LoversBed.esp
LoversImmoralGuards.esp
LoversPayBandit.esp
Lovers with PK.esp
LoversMB2.esp
LoversTrueCrimeEx.esp
Quest Award Leveller.esp
Vampire Revolution.esp
Advanced Magecraft.esp
InstantMagicEffects.esp
Enhanced Grabbing.esp
Let There Be Darkness - Cyrodiil + SI.esp
Let There Be Darkness - Knights.esp
Let There Be Darkness - Mehrunes Razor.esp
EVE_KhajiitFix.esp
RingofMara.esp

BOSS does not know all Mods.

But after you run BOSS it tells you that it was not able to sort some Mods and put the Mods at the end of the load order. That Mods you must sort manually.

And your load order is not sorted with BOSS !!!

Example:  DLCShiveringIsle.esp is to low in your load order, BOSS do not put is so low. It is one of the first esp after the esm.

And Knights.esp is the last DLC   ....but you have some DLCs after it.

EDIT: all in you old load order. the new load order looks good.

-----------------

And if BOSS tells you to clean a Mod, you can clean it with TES4Edit. ( read my yellow Link)

But BOSS put them in the right order.

---------------------

All unsorted Mods and all Lovers Mods you must sort manually. ( read my yellow Link and the Link gregathit posted )

Then you can test with TES4Edit if you have missing master files or Mods in wrong order ( master file below the plugin file )

You start TES4Edit with all your Mod and if it stop loading and tell you missing file or file x must loaded before file y you correct your load order.

If TES4Edit loads all your Mods without a error message you should be able to start your game without  CTD.

----------------------------

Sexdarkness.esp

If it is a old version you can use it.

I use sexlivion.

But there in a new version at Nexus that will not work with Lovers.

But when you play sexdarkness you must set LoversHookers Approaches to OFF. Lovers does not recognizes sexdarkness sex, so while you have sex NPCs will ask your for LoversHooker sex....that will break the sexdarkness animation and you must load a old save to fix it.

Your CTD !!

You don't have LoversAdultPlayPlusforSSP.esp

Why you have LoversAdultPlayPlusforSSP_HookerPatch.esp  ??? it is a patch to use LoversHooker.esp and LoversAdultPlayPlusforSSP.esp ( in both Mods are prostitution dialogues )

LoversImmoralGuards.esp  

Do you have my No-MBP version ? If not you have missing Master file:    Beautiful People 2ch-Ed.esm and many MBP esp

And have you sorted your Lovers Mods manually ?

In both Link with example load order LoversMB2.esp  is lower in load order.

---------------------------

A good companion system. And compatible with Lovers.

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/1569-mad-companionship-spells-mcs-extension-humantouchnpc/

You can make any NPC your companion.

You only need

Mad Companionship Spells 2.5  and MCS Extension 1.15

You don't need human touch.

I got the version of Sexdarkness I'm using from Nexus. I'll go ahead and assume that I should turn it off or remove it. It's not too big a deal. Don't really want to go in with TES4Edit though... All of the mods on the list worked fine on my old computer, so I don't think I'll need to make any changes to them. Might just need to remove a few more and make sure I've got all the files that I need.

Edit: Oh crap, you're right. Somehow I've got a patch for a mod I don't even have downloaded. Must have missed a few files when I was swapping everything over. As for the Beautiful people and so forth, never used it before, so I think I'm good on the Immoral Guards. Idk what version I have of it though.

And yes, I manually sorted the Lovers mods, as best I could. Didn't notice MB2 needed to go lower, though.

Install LoversAdultPlayPlusforSSP.esp  and LoversVoiceSSPplus.esp .  Then you can use the LoversAdultPlayPlusforSSP_HookerPatch.esp 

If you don't want to install 10+ MBP Mods you should install my No-MBP Immoral gurads version.

And use Mad Companionship instead of Toaster Says Share .

Aaaaaaand now there are a few new issues I'm seeing because of course there are. I've gotten to the character creation no problem, but... well, this happens. Something's being stupid in regards either to the character creation or the mesh bodies, and of course, the textures aren't placed properly on some of the heads

Spoiler

20181102080725_1.jpg

Spoiler

20181102080901_1.jpg

I'm just going to sit here and cringe for a bit...

The first pic...don't kow.

The second pic. The wrong texture for the head mesh.

Have you installed a head textures replacer ? There should be a readme that tells you what head mesh you need.

! But if you change the Head nif in data\meshes\charcters\imperial it will affect all vanilla human races and the elfs  and many Mod races use the head nif.

If all other races are OK you should change the textures of the "wrong" races.

Spoiler

Vanilla  and Ren head nif with the right texture ( a better vanilla texture)

1h1.jpg

And another head nif with the vanilla textures.  You see it does not fit.  The UV map is totally different ( the gid)

1h2.jpg

I'm probably just going to back up a bit and do a clean install. I probably fucked up somewhere along the way with my mods that affect the body meshes and textures. To list those mods, I've got

HGEC body 1.21

Robert's Male Body Replacer v5

EVE HGEC Body Selector and Stock Equipment Replacer

Vanilla Race Deluxe 5.1

There was likely just some conflict I caused between them by not knowing what I was doing. Still, going to do the clean install just to be safe. Going to start over with the mods, but now I know what I need and what to ignore... mostly.

HGEC body 1.21 and Robert's Male Body Replacer v5 both use the vanilla head textures.

You know in Oblivion male and female use the same head texture.

Best you unpack both Mods and  repack the Mod. Check the head texture and choose the one that fits better to the body texture ( If you play more  felemales you use the head teture from HGEC body 1.21 , when you play more males your take the head textures from Robert's Male .

And delete the old skeleton in the HGEC Mod ! You will use the LAPF skeleton.

EVE  ? don't know if there are head textures in the  Mod.

Unpack the Mod and delete all you don't need. Bodies and textures you have, you only need the armor clothes for the hemales.

So you you delete all body meshes, skeleton ( you will use the LAPF skeleton )

Vanilla Race Deluxe 5.1

I don't know the Mod.

If you want to use it and it have textures for male and female you should not install the texturres from HGEC body 1.21 and Robert's Male Body Replacer v5. Install only the HGEC and Roberts body meshes.

Or install Vanilla Race Deluxe 5.1  after the above Mods and let it overwrite.

And first you unpack it and check if it have all textures for all vanilla races.  And if it change the head mesh. With a new head mesh  the Mod MUST have head textures for all races or the Mod in useless. ( Orcs, khajiit, argonian use own head meshes  and in many relacer Mods there are not changed. But all humans, elfs , Golden Saint , DarkSeducer and dremora  use the head in the imperial folder. )

!!! Remember that there are Golden Saint and DarkSeducer . There are no female body textures in the HGEC body 1.21 Mod !! ( and no dremora? )

Check if there are HGEC textures for both races in the Vanilla Race Deluxe 5.1 .

See my yellow Link, there is a Link for HGEC Textues  with all vanilla races, But for vanilla Head mesh. If Vanilla Race Deluxe 5.1   replace the head mershes with a no-vanilla version you must find another textures replacer if there are missing head textures in the Vanilla Race Deluxe 5.1 

-------------------

EDIT: I always unpack Mods. OMods  Mods with installer,  zip, rar,....

Then I check what is in the Mod, does it overwrite /conflict with  vanilla files or other Mod files.

Idelete all I don't need.

I don't need a install menu ( HGEC body 1.21 and Robert's Male Body Replacer ) , The install menu will install one body, so I put the body I want in the right folders, and the textures and esp.

Then I delete all Folders I don't need ( readme, pictures, Variants and replacers )

Then I create a OMod ( so I must do the sorting and cleaning never again. The next Oblivion installation I use my old OMod )

I unpack all Mods. Omods. Mods with installer exe,....  OMods with install menu , like HGEC body 1.21 and Robert's Male Body Replacer v5  ofter do not give warnings when they owerrite files you have . And they install one body, so why not unpack and put the body you want in the right folder.

------------------------------------

If you have a OMod and you want unpack it  use Oblivion  or TESModmanager

( the numbers in the description, see the screenshot below )

You  put the OMod in the OMod folder ( If you have not change the path it is Oblivion\obmm\mods

Then start  the Modmanager

In the right window you see all your OMods, and you will see your new OMod. (1)

Right click it and click "Extract to folder",   choose a empty folder. (2)

If you have a Mod with a bsa file (  a esp and a packed files )  you can unpack the bsa with the Mod manager.

Start OblivionMM . At the right you click the "Utilities" button (3)  and then "bsa browser" (4) .   In the new window you search your unpack folder and select the bsa you want, (5)

Then you click "Extract here" button (6) and select a empty folder.

Now you have the unpacked OMod in that folder ( esp, meshes , textures,... ) or the unpacked bsa.

After you cleaned and sorted the Mod  you use the Modmanager to create a OMod.

In your folder are the esp and the folders;meshes, textures, sound,.... ( If the Mod have the folders. A textures replacer have only a textures folder but no esp and meshes, sound...)

And his folder you use for the OMod. 

If  in the unpack folder is a data folder and in the data folder are  esp,meshes, .....  You use the data folder for the OMod, not the unpack folder.

E1) Unpackfolder\data\  and inside esp meshes textures... you use the data folder

E2) Unpack folder\ and inside esp meshes textures... you use the unpack folder

The Modmanager install the files in the game data folder. If you use in exaple E1) the unpack folder for the OMod you will have a data folder in you game data folder ( Oblivion\data\data\meshes\ ) And that will not work.

OK you have your cleaned files in a folder. Start OblivionMM

At the left bottom you click  the "Create" button. (7)

In the new window you click "Add Folder" (8) and you select the folder with the esp, meshes textures,...

If the Mod have a esp you will see the esp in the window and can now right click it and seletct "import Mod details". (9) Or you manually add a name in the above boxes. ( you must not add version number author and discription )

Now you click the "create omod" button  (10)  ( you get a warning when you have not add author and discription but you can ignore it )

Wait.....

When it is done you see the OMod in the big right window. You click it (mark / highlight it)  then  down left you click the "activate" button. (it is next to the  Create button (7) )

The OMod will be installed in you game folder. If files already exist you get a warning. ( then you must decide which file you want/need )

(And you can delete the original OMod, you have your own cleaned Omod )

1h3.jpg

Data\ini folder ??

Lovers/LAPF need the folder. All animations will not ork without the ini.

And many Mods have ini files. Not in all Mods you can set all options in game, for some Mods you make the settings you want in the ini files.

Lovers Joburg: not everything you can set in game. In the LoversJoburg.ini you have more settings.

LoversHookers: most things you set in the ini ( male-male or female female sex allowed. How many sex to reach the next rank )

Not only Lovers Mods have ini files in the data\ini folder.

Welp... Went through and made my own OMods for everything, made sure to only get what I needed for everything, and did some Archive Invalidation just to be certain (think I forgot that the first time, could've been part of the problem), and surprise, CTD at launch. Yay...

Here's the load order after using BOSS.

Spoiler

Oblivion.esm
Lovers with PK.esm
DLCShiveringIsles.esp
Oblivion Vwalk UOS.esp
See You Sleep DLL.esp
DLCHorseArmor.esp
DLCOrrery.esp
DLCOrrery Vwalk.esp
DLCVileLair.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
DLCSpellTomes.esp
MaleBodyReplacerV5.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
DLCThievesDen.esp
Creature Diversity.esp
BrotherhoodRenewed.esp
BrotherhoodRenewed Vwalk.esp
Kvatch Rebuilt.esp
Kvatch Rebuilt Vwalk.esp
Whispered Warning.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
DLCfrostcrag.esp
DLCFrostcrag Vwalk.esp
Knights.esp
Knights Vwalk UOP.esp
EVE_KnightsoftheNine.esp
Consequences.esp
Consequences_Knights.esp
Consequences_Vile.esp
MannimarcoRevisited.esp
LoversCalm.esp
LoversAdultPlayPlusforSSP.esp
LoversHooker.esp
LoversVoiceSSPplus.esp
LoversBed.esp
LoversImmoralGuards.esp
LoversPayBandit.esp
Lovers with PK.esp
LoversTrueCrimeEx.esp
LoversMB2.esp
Quest Award Leveller.esp
InstantMagicEffects.esp
EVE_KhajiitFix.esp
RingofMara.esp

36 minutes ago, AmaryllisThorne said:

Welp... Went through and made my own OMods for everything, made sure to only get what I needed for everything, and did some Archive Invalidation just to be certain (think I forgot that the first time, could've been part of the problem), and surprise, CTD at launch. Yay...

Here's the load order after using BOSS.

Reveal hidden contents

Oblivion.esm
Lovers with PK.esm
DLCShiveringIsles.esp
Oblivion Vwalk UOS.esp
See You Sleep DLL.esp
DLCHorseArmor.esp
DLCOrrery.esp
DLCOrrery Vwalk.esp
DLCVileLair.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
DLCSpellTomes.esp
MaleBodyReplacerV5.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
DLCThievesDen.esp
Creature Diversity.esp
BrotherhoodRenewed.esp
BrotherhoodRenewed Vwalk.esp
Kvatch Rebuilt.esp
Kvatch Rebuilt Vwalk.esp
Whispered Warning.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
DLCfrostcrag.esp
DLCFrostcrag Vwalk.esp
Knights.esp
Knights Vwalk UOP.esp
EVE_KnightsoftheNine.esp
Consequences.esp
Consequences_Knights.esp
Consequences_Vile.esp
MannimarcoRevisited.esp
LoversCalm.esp
LoversAdultPlayPlusforSSP.esp
LoversHooker.esp
LoversVoiceSSPplus.esp
LoversBed.esp
LoversImmoralGuards.esp
LoversPayBandit.esp
Lovers with PK.esp
LoversTrueCrimeEx.esp
LoversMB2.esp
Quest Award Leveller.esp
InstantMagicEffects.esp
EVE_KhajiitFix.esp
RingofMara.esp

CTDs at launch...with things installed correctly...are often a master/load order issue. Some slave esp being loaded above the master in the load order. Some utilities like Land Magic and others will identify misplaced masters. BOSS lists aside...which I only use as a suggestion these days.

You might consider rather than trying to start with all those esps active...going slow and turning them on over several saves/etc to better identify problem areas.

Archived