Random CTD - Unplayable

DaGoomba

Not sure what to say. The game is a brand-spanking-new save file and was working perfectly until I left vault 111 for the first time. Now the game CTDs every two or three minutes and every time it does, the process disappears from the task manager but still hogs about 80% of my CPU. I can't access anything at this point and am forced to restart my computer.

My load order is below. I've tried reinstalling, verifying Steam files, running LOOT. I've gotten no red-flags from anything, so here's hoping the LL Gurus can help.

Spoiler

GameMode=Fallout4

Fallout4.esm=1
DLCRobot.esm=1
DLCworkshop01.esm=1
DLCCoast.esm=1
DLCworkshop02.esm=1
DLCworkshop03.esm=1
DLCNukaWorld.esm=1
DLCUltraHighResolution.esm=1
four_play_resources.esm=1
CBBE.esp=1
Crazy_Animations_Gun.esp=1
FO4_AnimationsByLeito.esp=1
four_play.esp=1
FP_VanillaFudge.esp=1
FP_Violate.esp=1
Vinfamy_CP.esp=1
Dongs_Of_Fallout.esp=1
FP_FamilyPlanningEnhanced.esp=1
FPEDogAddon.esp=1
FPESuperMutantAddon.esp=1
ChillPill.esp=1
God's Ring.esp=1
Hacksaw Holotape.esp=1
Instagib Rifle.esp=1
The Skeleton Key.esp=1
LooksMenu.esp=1

This only happens with FO4?
Have you tried the vanilla game without mods?

Ig the issue is exclusive to fo4 and happens even with vanilla (heck, even if not), try to verify game files with steam. Try to not play the game with other applications opened, even AVs and such things.
You are running the HD DLC, do you have hardware to that?

I can't say anything about your mods, barely know what they do. But if the game works vanilla you should disable them and do some tests, one by one.

Took off the DLCUltraHighResolution.esm and fixed some of the issues. At least when it crashes now it doesn't take my computer with it.

Suppose it doesn't matter though, as when I took off the rest of the mods, it still crashes. Pretty sure when vanilla FO4 crashes, it's a clear indicator that I've got bigger problems. I have no idea what those problems are, Steam verified all files and I've started new games every time I changed the mods. It never crashes in the same place if that makes any difference.

18 minutes ago, DaGoomba said:

Took off the DLCUltraHighResolution.esm and fixed some of the issues. At least when it crashes now it doesn't take my computer with it.

Suppose it doesn't matter though, as when I took off the rest of the mods, it still crashes. Pretty sure when vanilla FO4 crashes, it's a clear indicator that I've got bigger problems. I have no idea what those problems are, Steam verified all files and I've started new games every time I changed the mods. It never crashes in the same place if that makes any difference.

Update your:

- Video Drivers (Force reset them to defaults, e.g. 'clean install' if the installer gives that option).

- Audio Drivers

- Keyboard & Mouse drivers

After updating, make sure to:

- Reset your video settings to all their defaults

- Set settings 'high' (not ultra)

- Open Fallout4Launcher, disable HBAO+

- Disable any other open programs while gaming.

If it's now stable you can slowly try to use higher video settings.

On 9/5/2018 at 2:54 AM, Reginald_001 said:

Update your:

- Video Drivers (Force reset them to defaults, e.g. 'clean install' if the installer gives that option).

- Audio Drivers

- Keyboard & Mouse drivers

After updating, make sure to:

- Reset your video settings to all their defaults

- Set settings 'high' (not ultra)

- Open Fallout4Launcher, disable HBAO+

- Disable any other open programs while gaming.

If it's now stable you can slowly try to use higher video settings.

Did all that and was met with moderate success. Playability was hit or miss and I decided to look over the mods I was using. Apparently, Gods Ring was updated and now it's unstable; removed that and now the game works swimmingly. Thanks for the help everyone.

On 9/1/2018 at 9:18 AM, DaGoomba said:

Not sure what to say. The game is a brand-spanking-new save file and was working perfectly until I left vault 111 for the first time. Now the game CTDs every two or three minutes and every time it does, the process disappears from the task manager but still hogs about 80% of my CPU. I can't access anything at this point and am forced to restart my computer.

My load order is below. I've tried reinstalling, verifying Steam files, running LOOT. I've gotten no red-flags from anything, so here's hoping the LL Gurus can help.

Hide contents

GameMode=Fallout4

Fallout4.esm=1
DLCRobot.esm=1
DLCworkshop01.esm=1
DLCCoast.esm=1
DLCworkshop02.esm=1
DLCworkshop03.esm=1
DLCNukaWorld.esm=1
DLCUltraHighResolution.esm=1
four_play_resources.esm=1
CBBE.esp=1
Crazy_Animations_Gun.esp=1
FO4_AnimationsByLeito.esp=1
four_play.esp=1
FP_VanillaFudge.esp=1
FP_Violate.esp=1
Vinfamy_CP.esp=1
Dongs_Of_Fallout.esp=1
FP_FamilyPlanningEnhanced.esp=1
FPEDogAddon.esp=1
FPESuperMutantAddon.esp=1
ChillPill.esp=1
God's Ring.esp=1
Hacksaw Holotape.esp=1
Instagib Rifle.esp=1
The Skeleton Key.esp=1
LooksMenu.esp=1

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4598/

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4598/

I did not see the unofficial patch in your load order.Maybe I am just too tired to see it.

My game has crash issues when I go underground.I suspect it it due to either Beantown modifications or to the Sims mods I use.One of those likely affects underground areas. So I am going to have to take those off and see.

I also have the God ring but I doubt it is the cause as I have the old version.Not the new updated one you said causes problems.Plus my game only ctds when I go underground and not  at other times.

Fallout 4 is not well optimized.Plus a lot of the player made fixes, crash fixes and other stuff that worked with helping Skyrim were never ported over to Fallout 4 so we have limited options to fix its issues.

Crashes in most cases are caused either by script errors, or by missing textures/assets.

Step 1: Reinstall ALL your mods OR play without any mods. See if it persists. If this is the case, your mods and fallout are not the issue, but likely your hardware or drivers are.

Step 2:  Open Windows Explorer to here: C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\Logs\Script

The folder should look something like this:

image.png.1d0a93eeff8c494152d671e17e6e5635.png

Post the latest Papyrus.0.log file here so we can take a look at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived