Sexbound troubleshooting thread?

thedarkwanderer42

So, after coming across an error with an npc type in sexbound that was having errors due to what appeared to be an issue with converse config

As well as a number of mod conflicts for various reasons (mods that edit/patch base npc types tend not to play well)

And seeing as how modding for sexbound and starbound adult mods seems to be picking up again, but lacking any sort of clue as to when or even if the main maintainers of

Sexbound will start working on it again, it seems best to have a thread for noting compatibility issues as well as present errors in Sexbound

Now, the error I was encountering with Sexbound was with sexbound_familymember.npctype
and was this

[17:19:06.536] [Error] [string "/npcs/bmain.lua"]:162: (StarException) Lua Exception caught running action node sayToEntity in behavior villager: (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/scripts/actions/dialog.lua"]:106: Dialog type dialog.converse not specified in sexbound_familymember
stack traceback:
    [C]: in function '_ENV.error'
    [string "/scripts/actions/dialog.lua"]:106: in function <[string "/scripts/actions/dialog.lua"]:101>

And while I am not entirely sure what was causing this issue in particular, I did find that adding in the necessary dialog files for an added npctype for it seemed to have fixed the issue
so I am guessing that the issue was caused by the addition of a new npctype with no converse.config for the associated .npctype, and something as simple as adding in a test converse.config.patch and a custom converse config file (familyconverse.config using the default converse lines from base assets as a placeholder) fixed this error
the error itself does not seem to cause any crashes on its own, but it does clog up the console when trying to find any other errors that might be going on, and preventing chat interaction with the affected npcs, as well as being a bit of a broken asset.
I'm guessing its just outdated for the current version of starbound or something.

What does seem rather odd is that I do not always encounter this error with one of the sexbound_familymember npctypes each time I try talking to them, but once I do encounter this error with them all I get from them is no dialog and a console full of errors
so any help in actually figuring out what is going on here with it, so it can be properly patched instead of just having a hotfix would be much appreciated.

the edited files are attached in a zip

sexbound faimlymember hotfix.zip

The familymember npc type was unfinished last i checked and never actually is supposed to spawn... i've never gotten such errors myself, and had plenty of progeny spawn in.

As for possible incompatibilities, yeah, go ahead! It would be great to be able to catalog and even try to solve these issues.

Also, as for noting errors and such, its best to always include a starbound.log to help any users troubleshoot your errors. Sorry to say that every thread, but its a common thing to not attach along the posts.

• 7 months later...

[11:20:56.573] [Error] Exception while invoking lua function 'update'. (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/scripts/sexbound/util.lua"]:14: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got string)
stack traceback:
    [C]: in ?
    [C]: in function '_ENV.pairs'
    [string "/scripts/sexbound/util.lua"]:14: in field 'colorMapToReplaceDirective'
    [string "/scripts/sexbound/lib/sexbound/actor.lua"]:306: in function <[string "/scripts/sexbound/lib/sexbound/actor.lua"]:279>
    (...tail calls...)
    [string "/scripts/sexbound/lib/sexbound/actor.lua"]:134: in method 'resetParts'
    [string "/scripts/sexbound/lib/sexbound/actor.lua"]:90: in method 'reset'
    [string "/scripts/sexbound/lib/sexbound.lua"]:387: in local 'callback'
    [string "/scripts/sexbound/lib/sexbound.lua"]:267: in method 'forEachActor'
    [string "/scripts/sexbound/lib/sexbound.lua"]:384: in method 'resetAllActors'
    [string "/scripts/sexbound/lib/sexbound/statemachine.l..."]:90: in field 'enteringState'
    [string "/scripts/stateMachine.lua"]:204: in field 'pickState'
    [string "/scripts/stateMachine.lua"]:272: in field 'update'
    [string "/scripts/sexbound/lib/sexbound/statemachine.l..."]:368: in method 'update'
    [string "/scripts/sexbound/lib/sexbound.lua"]:110: in method 'update'
    [string "/scripts/sexbound/v2/api.lua"]:26: in field 'update'
    [string "/scripts/sexbound/twoactors.lua"]:15: in function <[string "/scripts/sexbound/twoactors.lua"]:14>

Been getting this a lot lately, sometimes it seems to work fine, other times it fails and logs this..

EDIT: Oh, apparently apparel being unsupported somehow literally breaks the entire mod. That's... Unfortunate.

In util.lua, replacing the colorMapToReplaceDirective bit there with this should sanitize any unsupported clothing errors that may break it;

Sexbound.Util.colorMapToReplaceDirective = function(colors)
  local directives = {}

if type(colors) ~= "table" then
  return "?replace;"
  end

for k,v in pairs(colors) do
    local kstr = tostring(k)
    local vstr = tostring(v)
    directives[#directives+1] = kstr.."="..vstr
  end

return "?replace;" .. table.concat(directives, ";")
end

Archived