do i have enough to run fallout 4 i can run skyrim

6 hours ago, VonHelton said:

Wait.......You DELETED the pagefile on your C Drive? Didn't that slow down Windows? 

Why would windows care for as long as it HAS a Pagefile?

You can put your Pagefile wherever you want. It's just C:\ by default.

I just would not recommend disabling it entirely.

Just put it on either the fastest, biggest, or least used drive if you want.

I guess in his case C:\ was already stressed heavily with loading game files, while simultaneously making heavy use of the pagefile, also on C:\

That's why he moved it.

Getting an SSD would still be a better option though.

58 minutes ago, flatliner10 said:

Why would windows care for as long as it HAS a Pagefile?

You can put your Pagefile wherever you want. It's just C:\ by default.

I just would not recommend disabling it entirely.

Just put it on either the fastest, biggest, or least used drive if you want.

I guess in his case C:\ was already stressed heavily with loading game files, while simultaneously making heavy use of the pagefile, also on C:\

That's why he moved it.

@VonHelton

Yes, Page Files don't matter which drive they are on. Windows will prompt a warning when you remove C from the page structure, but overall doesn't seem to affect anything. I currently have 4 HD's C D E & G. Windows 10 resources tend to hog a lot on C. My C drive is an IDE 80gb Seagate Barracuda, yes I know I need to upgrade it LOL. So having that as a paged drive weakens the overall performance of the PC. My others are SATA with tons of spare room. Most programs that I seen seem to pull paging resource in order of connection which places C as a primary page file. On top of holding the save files, load order in user local app settings, the OS, and various other files. It seemed to create a potential concern of HD crashing.

As to Slowing down Windows. Actually quite the opposite and way less crashing than before.

And yes I plan on upgrading to SSD drives as soon as I can financially.

1 hour ago, VonHelton said:

When I win the lottery.........lol.

?

That would have to be the smallest lottery ever..

http://www.microcenter.com/product/503405/480gb-3d-tlc-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive

69.99 fo 480 SSD Not the most famous brand but a good enough one for that cost. You can put a few games and mods on that ;)

A smaller "lottery" or a cost of a very nice fancy dinner...

http://www.microcenter.com/product/485911/240gb-3d-mlc-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive

39.99 for 240 gb...

https://hardforum.com/threads/inland-professional-480gb-ssd-heres-whats-inside.1960866/

discussion on it.

5 hours ago, VonHelton said:

When I win the lottery

3 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

I agree, a reasonable sized ssd of decent quality is about the same price as a medicore HDD, smaller but much faster.

And it can turn even an old potato-masher into a machine someone can actually use, without taking a coffee-break after every mouse-click.

One just need to maintain the discipline to NOT put every junk on it... Moving you private files - or even your entire user profile - to another drive is also a good idea.

Your user profile/private files doesn't necessary need to be on c:\ either.

Well I plan on keeping my 4 drive set up and going 1tb min on each, since Seagate HDDs have been really well with me, my current 80gb baracuda has lasted me ... hell I can't even remember when I got it, but its an old drive, I will continue with their line so I'm looking at roughly 200 - 250 a drive. WD, IBM, and a few other HDDs have always wracked out or failed just after their manufacturers warranty ran out on my builds.

my current build is 80gb IDE, 250gb SATA, 500gb SATA and a 1tb SATA HDD

17 hours ago, VonHelton said:

Wait.......You DELETED the pagefile on your C Drive? Didn't that slow down Windows?

Pagefile was introduced so systems with low RAM could still operate normally.

I have 32GB of RAM. There is no reason for me to have a pagefile. I don't have one, it can be manually disabled.

10 hours ago, flatliner10 said:

Can confirm, all of my computers have an SSD, even if they are as small as 32gb

1 hour ago, dboura said:

my current build is 80gb IDE, 250gb SATA, 500gb SATA and a 1tb SATA HDD

IDE? Are you serious? Get outta 2002 dude...just get a cheap SSD, like 20 bucks from China.

I have a 500Gb Samsung 850 Evo, 3TB Seagate Firecuda hybrid drive, and 2TB Seagate Firecuda hybrid drive, all in my main rig.

My laptop has a 256GB Samsung 860 Evo M.2 drive, and a 2TB Seagate FireCuda drive.

My other desktop has a SanDisk Extreme 120GB from like 2012 and a 500GB WD Blue and it still boots in under 10 seconds.

My modded Dell Optiplex 755 has a Hually 32GB SSD and a 500GB WD Blue...

SSDs are way cheaper than they usd to be. I remember the OCZ Agility 3 used to be like 250 bucks for 90GB. I had one in my old Dell laptop.

Now you can get a 120GB PNY CS900 for $20 open box on Amazon, I have one in my HP ProLiant ML350 G6...

6 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/503405/480gb-3d-tlc-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive

69.99 fo 480 SSD Not the most famous brand but a good enough one for that cost. You can put a few games and mods on that ;)

A smaller "lottery" or a cost of a very nice fancy dinner...

http://www.microcenter.com/product/485911/240gb-3d-mlc-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive

39.99 for 240 gb...

https://hardforum.com/threads/inland-professional-480gb-ssd-heres-whats-inside.1960866/

discussion on it.

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-CS900-120GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B0722XPTL6

$28 for a  brand new CS900 120GB. They'e just as fast as the SanDisk models, too.

1 hour ago, RussianPrince said:

IDE? Are you serious? Get outta 2002 dude...just get a cheap SSD, like 20 bucks from China.

Ok, going to bypass the tone of the reply to me as if its just your way of typing for now. Though, I did bold and italicize the specific part that can be construed as offensive.

You seem to think I have very little understanding of hardware pricing. Let me clarify that for you. I have been building rigs for 20+ years. I am FULLY aware of minimal needs and cheap availabilities as... like I said I have been doing this for 20+ years, you know from back in p2 days. I said a couple times already that I will be upgrading, even LOL'd about the 80gb. Now I also said the SSD structure I am going for. Not to mention the brand, Oh and BTW where many SSD imports are concerned, even from China, any replacement of a failed drive will cost shipping/handling as the serial numbers are coded to country of origin and most companies only free ship the parts if you are in the country of its coding. Many are finding this out now where SSD's are concerned, especially with the bigger companies like Samsung's EVO SSD. so a $20 SSD will cost you more under the warranty terms to replace, not to mention the whole Tariff thing in the US will result in those prices going higher. If you were to by them online because of some areas availability to physical storefronts, luckily I have a Microcenter only 8 miles from me.

Now as to the iteration of "Ermagerd yous runnin IDE", and yes again I take it as your typing style but that is how you came off to me. With exception to an overly heavy papyrus load from my heavily scripted mods in FO4, I have no problems running it to the max settings. Skyrim SE and LE are also on full tilt. I have yet come across a game I like that I can't run full tilt out of the box. The only thing really on that drive is Windows 10, drivers, and some utility software, which doesn't require quick transfer times beyond that of IDE and a 7200 RPM drive. Yes, SSD will help things like reading and writing data quicker and cleaner, but for my purposes it does fine for now. Not to mention, I already specified my intended drive structure.

Well I plan on keeping my 4 drive set up and going 1tb min on each, since Seagate HDDs have been really well with me, my current 80gb baracuda has lasted me ... hell I can't even remember when I got it, but its an old drive, I will continue with their line so I'm looking at roughly 200 - 250 a drive.

^^in case you missed it^^

I am one that is very specific to his builds. Come tax time I will be doing a full system upgrade, instead of my usual partial. The whole rig will cost me roughly 2k to 3k. Until then, I think I will run with what I currently have, so I can ... hmm IDK support my family, keep utilities on, a roof over our head, you know the .. how do I say, important things. Besides, I'm more concerned with a replacement Proc and Mobo ATM anyway. Which, again, will come at tax time.

Here is some advise though. You never know the lifestyle, economic class, or various life factors of others. Ritual, Flatliner, and many others on here don't tend to push a brusque undertoned humor to relay a message that offers advise, which you either inadvertently or purposefully do. There is a reason to why, it tends to make you sound like you're putting yourself on a pedestal and talking down to those you communicate to like that. Hence the combative responses from earlier in this thread. 

Oh and Page files. You do know there is software, usually imaging and document processing, that actually require a page file to operate, not to mention dump files tend to processes into your page file before writing to your permanent file structure as a default setting for windows. Hence its warning prompt when you remove it from C. Temporary Internet Files do so as well by default.

5 hours ago, VonHelton said:

I do graphics work guys, as well as gaming. Terabyte & up is what I have.......

?

EDIT: Found 1TB for $178.......That's not bad!

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-NAND-SATA-SDSSDH3-1T00-G25/dp/B071KGRXRG/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1533377148&sr=1-23&keywords=1+terabyte+ssd

The pricing is dropping. Options (alt named or off named product) is coming out in force... I suspect the pricing will continue and massive drop before the end of the year again provided there isn't a shortage in the materials needed to create these.

Also, that suggestion was for just gaming (modded ones) if you have a desktop it is likely you might have had some space for another HD.  That is what I do or did. (My computer is being worked on slowly and setup again)

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:56 PM, gazaking123 said:

bro id prefer not comment at all then be disrespectful sometimes i would love to be able to see where some of you keyboard tough guys live.

Just the facts, bro...

Sorry but he was not inclined to sugar-coat it.

And what are you - some kind of 'tough guy' yourself? (You wanna know where I live, LoL?)

13 hours ago, dboura said:

Ok, going to bypass the tone of the reply to me as if its just your way of typing for now. Though, I did bold and italicize the specific part that can be construed as offensive.

It's supposed to be offensive. Why are you using IDE in 2018? IDE is the slowest drive protocol you can possibly use.

so a $20 SSD will cost you more under the warranty terms to replace, not to mention the whole Tariff thing in the US will result in those prices going higher. If you were to by them online because of some areas availability to physical storefronts, luckily I have a Microcenter only 8 miles from me.

Not the $30 PNY CS900. I have a cluster of those in my ProLiant and they've been strong for a while now.

^^in case you missed it^^

thjat sentence says nothing about SSDs.

am one that is very specific to his builds.

Yeah so am I, I even combined three aio coolers because I didn't like the temps.

hmm IDK support my family, keep utilities on, a roof over our head, you know the .. how do I say, important things

Not my fault you decided to have a family to waste money on.

brusque undertoned humor to relay a message that offers advise, which you either inadvertently or purposefully do.

I am a very terse individual and I never sugarcoat things. I expect people to understand that.

Oh and Page files. You do know there is software, usually imaging and document processing, that actually require a page file to operate, not to mention dump files tend to processes into your page file before writing to your permanent file structure as a default setting for windows. Hence its warning prompt when you remove it from C. Temporary Internet Files do so as well by default.

That is false. I've never hear of such poorly coded programs and I've even disabled my DNS cache to save writes on my SSD.

13 hours ago, VonHelton said:

EDIT: Found 1TB for $178.......That's not bad!

Get an SSHD, they are better for large load professional work. I have two SSHDs in my desktop, a 3tb and a 2tb. The 3tb can be found for less than $125 and the 2tb is usually less than $100.

7 hours ago, MegaGryphon said:

Just the facts, bro...

Sorry but he was not inclined to sugar-coat it.

Some people can't take the sour taste of criticism.

Oh and BTW where many SSD imports are concerned, even from China, any replacement of a failed drive will cost shipping/handling as the serial numbers are coded to country of origin and most companies only free ship the parts if you are in the country of its coding. Many are finding this out now where SSD's are concerned, especially with the bigger companies like Samsung's EVO SSD. so a $20 SSD will cost you more under the warranty terms to replace, not to mention the whole Tariff thing in the US will result in those prices going higher. If you were to by them online because of some areas availability to physical storefronts, luckily I have a Microcenter only 8 miles from me.

I am one that is very specific to his builds. Come tax time I will be doing a full system upgrade, instead of my usual partial. The whole rig will cost me roughly 2k to 3k. Until then, I think I will run with what I currently have, so I can ... hmm IDK support my family, keep utilities on, a roof over our head, you know the .. how do I say, important things. Besides, I'm more concerned with a replacement Proc and Mobo ATM anyway. Which, again, will come at tax time.

I understand the "warranty" options when discussing SSD's... I don't even consider them. If the model is solid and has a track record of being decent then it is on the radar. Then if the price is right I might get it for my collection (lol)  Don't care if it fails. I won't send it in to get warranty replacement.  I many times have sensitive data on it that if seen is "OK" don't care that much but data that I would rather not have people be able to review or browse. Even in a failed state a manufacture can retrieve some info or perhaps even solve the issue (firmware issue i had on one SSD proved this.. once fixed all my data popped right up ?.  So I don't care if it cost more to obtain a replacement or not. However, I do understand that people might desire to use this as an option and yes, it should be considered in such cases. I encourage people to consider this aspect first before considering a purchase of Hard drives (of any format) including CDs, dvd, Blu-rays (that you burn data on) as well as any flashed based drive. Even phones, tablets and other devices where you can't secure the data and have it possibly visible to the manufacture when you send this in for warranty replacement.

Thanks for bring that up. I forget that some might want to use that option with their purchases. 

With a bit of luck... you might even be able to find some clearance SSDs at your Microcenter by your house... :D I know I use a bit of clearance items from time to time from my Micro center and other storefronts... :D

Good luck with your new build... with luck there will be the new Intel available at that time for purchase. I hear it will work with the latest board without the need for a bios update and if so shouldn't need the older processor. Not confirmed though :(  That with the new AMD Threadripper and other processors being released (2nd gen? ) you will have a nice little selection and options for your complete build. Maybe even the new nVidia? What is it... the 1100? something.. Good stuff.

5 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

I understand the "warranty" options when discussing SSD's... I don't even consider them. If the model is solid and has a track record of being decent then it is on the radar. Then if the price is right I might get it for my collection (lol)  Don't care if it fails. I won't send it in to get warranty replacement.  I many times have sensitive data on it that if seen is "OK" don't care that much but data that I would rather not have people be able to review or browse. Even in a failed state a manufacture can retrieve some info or perhaps even solve the issue (firmware issue i had on one SSD proved this.. once fixed all my data popped right up ?.  So I don't care if it cost more to obtain a replacement or not. However, I do understand that people might desire to use this as an option and yes, it should be considered in such cases. I encourage people to consider this aspect first before considering a purchase of Hard drives (of any format) including CDs, dvd, Blu-rays (that you burn data on) as well as any flashed based drive. Even phones, tablets and other devices where you can't secure the data and have it possibly visible to the manufacture when you send this in for warranty replacement.

Thanks for bring that up. I forget that some might want to use that option with their purchases. 

With a bit of luck... you might even be able to find some clearance SSDs at your Microcenter by your house... :D I know I use a bit of clearance items from time to time from my Micro center and other storefronts... :D

Good luck with your new build... with luck there will be the new Intel available at that time for purchase. I hear it will work with the latest board without the need for a bios update and if so shouldn't need the older processor. Not confirmed though :(  That with the new AMD Threadripper and other processors being released (2nd gen? ) you will have a nice little selection and options for your complete build. Maybe even the new nVidia? What is it... the 1100? something.. Good stuff.

Actually I will be going with the Ryzen Threadripper. In truth I had all but a 4th SATA *edit* and an external drive *edit* to clone my WIN drive onto. Don't feel like the hassle of hunting for my Win 7 info to reinstall and update into win10 again since the original free upgrade release for those with Genuine Win 7/8 didn't come with registration keys for Win 10. Though, now I will most likely switch all 4 to SSD 1TB's my only concern is the price dif between the 860's and 970's of Samsung's EVO line. Damn near double for a little amount of transfer speed. Well, as far as I'm concerned LOL.

Vid wise I am already running a Nvidia 1060 and looking to upgrade to 1080 and have 20 gigs of RAM, but the RAM will need to be changed as the Threadripper is not compatible to older boards and the newer boards aren't compatible to the RAM modules I have. Currently running an AM3 board but would need to change up for a TR4 and have DDR4 modules.

So yeah, a full system rebuild ?

But yeah I had to return all of it due to getting let go from work and bills needed to be paid. Microcenter was awesome on returning it all when technically their policy forbid the return of about half the purchase. And IIRC Threadripper is 2nd gen, their 1st gen Ryzen was compatible to AM3 boards but lacked the higher thread count.

9 hours ago, RussianPrince said:

Get an SSHD, they are better for large load professional work. I have two SSHDs in my desktop, a 3tb and a 2tb. The 3tb can be found for less than $125 and the 2tb is usually less than $100.

Don't the hybrids have the same slow response time the spin-up drives do?

?

8 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Good luck with your new build... with luck there will be the new Intel available at that time for purchase. 

We all hafta do new builds, myself included..........

The new Rysen/Threadripper CPU uses different architecture than previous ones. It also requires DDR4 memory.

I don't use Intel, so the I9 may not need all new stuff.

My next "upgrade" therefore won't be an upgrade at all, it'll be a new build.

New CPU

New Motherboard

New DDR4 Ram

New SSD's (Instead of the HDD's I have now)

New 1080 GPU's

.......It's unavoidable for me.

?

4 hours ago, VonHelton said:

We all hafta do new builds, myself included..........

?

Eventually I will have to do a new build myself even if my machine continues to work (fingers crossed) just to get the ability to keep on playing the newest games. Don't get me wrong my little 4th gen intel processor has been a trooper so far. (my old AMD rig had motherboard issues and prematurely failed) but, the processor is coming a bit short on some of the things I do in RL and starting to feel slow.  Hopefully it still runs when I can replace it so that I can keep it for my win 7 machine and older games. (Ultimate version of Win7 which means it can run older software and installers that aren't able to be installed with Win 7pro etc)

Might want to look into upgrading to M.2 drives if you are moving to a completely new system. They are faster from what I know and don't take up the HD bay making your build much neater.. (less sata cable clutter) and always gives you the option to expand the storage (provided the case you choose has that option) later.  I believe the new AMD boards (mid to upper level) has two of them.  A good case with some hidden 3.5 storage space for data might be all you need combined with the m.2s  :D

Speaking of m.2s. I would love if my next machine only used those (two or so m.2) and not have any of the 2.5 or even 3.5 drives. Only cables would be front IO, 24pin power along with the 8pin processor one.  some of today's cases present the motherboard very nicely without any drive bays exposed and cover the power supply as well in one way or another. Excellent front to back/top cooling. very nice.

4 hours ago, VonHelton said:

Don't the hybrids have the same slow response time the spin-up drives do?

?

Essentially they do have the "slow response time the spin-up drives do" however, they don't at the same time. They have a select amount of data based on your most used data and that becomes more responsive. Best used for those that can't get a SSD the size they need. Much better than regular HHD for programs and OS but never as good as the cheapest SSD.

More details. :P

The hybrids are a nice choice when dealing with the need for large storage and a desire for responsiveness.  In newer Intel boards you can get an Optane M.2 card (16 or 32g) for the same purpose.  Basically the "SSD" part of the SHDD is a cache for the most used data / programs so that it can speed things up a reasonable amount. Same for the Optane cards added to the Motherboards. However, ask any tech or anyone really tech savvy and they will state it is an OK solution if you need large storage and can't get the SSD equivilant. If you can get the SSDs then the SSD's will stomp any hybrid or Optane /HHD system to the ground in responsiveness.  Instead of a "selected" data set of your most used... you  have the ENTIRE drive being as responsive. 

18 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

Eventually I will have to do a new build myself even if my machine continues to work (fingers crossed) just to get the ability to keep on playing the newest games. Don't get me wrong my little 4th gen intel processor has been a trooper so far. (my old AMD rig had motherboard issues and prematurely failed) but, the processor is coming a bit short on some of the things I do in RL and starting to feel slow. 

Well, I've seen the stats, and the Threadripper destroys its I9 counterpart *and* is $1,000 USD cheaper!

So, as the saying goes "Make mine AMD!"

?

steamworkshop_guide_1401225516_guide_branding.jpg

1 minute ago, VonHelton said:

Well, I've seen the stats, and the Threadripper destroys its I9 counterpart *and* is $1,000 USD cheaper!

So, as the saying goes "Make mine AMD!"

?

steamworkshop_guide_1401225516_guide_branding.jpg

LOL..

I don't need this powerful of a rig... The most (usually) demanding thing I do is gaming... For that a High clock i5 is good enough. I do some extra things like trans-coding and such so the high clocked i7 or AMD equivalent would be more than enough for quite a long time.

The reason for the Intel and not AMD is two... My AMD experience hasn't been the best for gaming. From the first duel core to the last machine I had with motherboard issues never worked as good as I wished. Second part is Mass Effect (1) Noveria level didn't work. Block figures and such due to the AMD FX processor engine.  It was a known bug.. I couldn't play that and some other game properly.  Never had an issue with Intel.

However, that being said.. that Threadrippper does look nice... But please do some more research. The current one you have a known issue with gaming. You can't game with it. You have to jump through some hoops and reboot or something like that.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14981478

https://hardforum.com/threads/avoid-threadripper-reboots-for-game-creator-mode.1942161/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ryzen-amd-bios-fix-fma3-crash/

etc

However, a new version of the processor is out or will be out shortly which will be much improved if the press is even close. :D Perfect time as I mentioned above for a nice complete rebuild or even total build :D

8 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

I don't need this powerful of a rig... The most (usually) demanding thing I do is gaming... For that a High clock i5 is good enough. I do some extra things like trans-coding and such so the high clocked i7 or AMD equivalent would be more than enough for quite a long time.

13 hours ago, VonHelton said:

Don't the hybrids have the same slow response time the spin-up drives do??

No...that's why they are hybrid. An SSHD is literally an SSD and an HDD combined.

Speaking of upgrades...my current CPU (i7 4790K) outperforms even a 7700K at 5.0Ghz (as noted by the Tom's Hardware CPU Benchmark thread).

I have no reason to upgrade until mainstream 8-cores are under $200. I can probably run a 1080Ti in my system with no trouble.

Seems like i'm not the only one here monitoring the Market for a complete rebuild *lol*

I already have the parts picked, just waiting for GPU-prices to become reasonable again.

Currently running an FX 6350 on an Sabertooth 990FX @4,2Ghz Undervolted with 16 Gig of Ram (DDR3), An Samsung 840Pro and a Samsung 1TB HDD for data,

while the CPU has aged quite well (despite being infamous), the GPU is a joke a Radeon HD 7790.

All is nicely tucked away in a sound dampened first Generation Chieftek CS601 once famous for it's size, customizeability and weight...you can easily stand on that thing, won't budge.

Served me well, no regrets.

So yeah...time for a rebuild...

Probably a Ryzen 5 2600 or 2700 depends on the price at this time

Asus X470 Motherboard (exact model undecided)

16GB G.Skill DDR4-3600/3200?

500 Gig Samsung M.2

2TB Seagate HDD

800Watt PSU

GPU Undecided.

BeQuiet Darkbase 900 pre-dampened (no frills, no flashy fairy-lights, just a nice big, silent tower)

Archived