Jump to content

Image quality feedback

Sign in to follow this  
LexiAJ82

524 views

I'm working on Chapter 3 of A Bard's Dream and I'm trying to do more imagery, fewer blocks of text. I have two images here and I was hoping to get some feedback on how they look and read on other screens. I have 4 screens I can look at them with and the readability is different on each so I was hoping some of you could let me know how it reads on your screen.

 

I think I'll have to make the dialogue a bit bigger, but for feedback could help me decide how much. 

 

3.1.jpg.1f25ac215cc12c0741caff22f1ac0e09.jpg

 

276692677_3.2Finished.jpg.7fd18a2216c88c9099e319631a773026.jpg

 

Thanks in advance! 😀

Sign in to follow this  


7 Comments


Recommended Comments

The screenshots look vibrant (and hey - it's not foggy anymore!) but I would suggest enlarging the font at least a few sizes.  You might also want to set the dialogue bubbles closer to the foreground (so basically zoom in more on the people talking. You'll lose some of the scenery but gain ease of readability).  If you wish to keep the scenery, then you can always do one separate shot with the brothel, the road and people standing there and then a second one where you zoom in and concentrate on the conversation itself. 

 

The semi-transparent speech bubbles can be a bit hard to read if there are bright and colorful items on the background (for example the lamp behind the dialogue with " So Hrod says"). If you decide to keep using them then it might be a good idea to position the bubbles on top of more neutral colors (the sky, the dirt, building walls and so on). 

 

I like your bard's slightly humorous narration of the story. ☺️

Keep up the good work! 

Share this comment


Link to comment
43 minutes ago, Devianna said:

The screenshots look vibrant (and hey - it's not foggy anymore!) but I would suggest enlarging the font at least a few sizes.  You might also want to set the dialogue bubbles closer to the foreground (so basically zoom in more on the people talking. You'll lose some of the scenery but gain ease of readability).  If you wish to keep the scenery, then you can always do one separate shot with the brothel, the road and people standing there and then a second one where you zoom in and concentrate on the conversation itself. 

 

The semi-transparent speech bubbles can be a bit hard to read if there are bright and colorful items on the background (for example the lamp behind the dialogue with " So Hrod says"). If you decide to keep using them then it might be a good idea to position the bubbles on top of more neutral colors (the sky, the dirt, building walls and so on). 

 

I like your bard's slightly humorous narration of the story. ☺️

Keep up the good work! 

Thanks! I'm pretty well in agreement on those points. I do like the initial broad establishing shot, so I think I'm gonna keep that with just her initial narration, and move in closer for any further shots, sliding the dialogue over to those stills. I'll probably ditch the transparencies as well. It was my first time playing around with that particular image software so I was kind of playing around with the settings a bit. 

 

This is absolutely the most staging I've done for a scene. The cart, the horses, the NPCs, and a bunch of littler details were all added in. 

 

I've pretty well gotten the hang of adding, moving, or adjusting statics and inanimate objects. I can more or less make the environment do whatever I want, but NPCs are still a bit tricky. I've kind of figured out taking control, moving them where I want them and such, but actually posing them or haveing them play an idle has been hit and miss. Half the time when I reenable their AI so they can do what I tell them, they just look at me and start walking off. 

 

It took me like two hours to stage the scene (Mostly because I was looking at guides and learning how to do things with NPCs) but I feel like it was worth it because I actually did learn ALOT, and it was quite rewarding when I was actually ready to start taking screenshots. 😃

 

I'm definitely gaining an appreciation on how much work goes into these, but it's also been really fun and everybody's been very supportive and helpful. 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Ohhhh, things definetly got improved, it looks lot less vanilla.

 

Even mere color changes from that grey-poo vanilla color can make miracles. 😊

 

You switching to comic style? Interesting, but might suit your story better, sometimes fewer text are better.

 

Improving always good and brining the best out of your work, is the right atittude.

4 hours ago, LexiAJ82 said:

I'm definitely gaining an appreciation on how much work goes into these, but it's also been really fun and everybody's been very supportive and helpful. 

 

Things go faster, if you get around more. Sometimes you can make quite aesthetics screenshots and perfectly set scenes for like few hours, sometimes a good pic is few min or sec 🙂

 

As long as you have the picture and the written part in your mind and know how to make those scenes, it can be quite fast, but sametime can be weeks haha or 4-5 days.

 

Its hard work indeed, I recently got into the combat scenes and those are a nightmare. 😇

Share this comment


Link to comment
43 minutes ago, Resdayn said:

Ohhhh, things definetly got improved, it looks lot less vanilla.

 

Even mere color changes from that grey-poo vanilla color can make miracles. 😊

 

Thanks! I appreciate that. I do love the colors in these shots.

 

45 minutes ago, Resdayn said:

You switching to comic style? Interesting, but might suit your story better, sometimes fewer text are better.

Mainly I really enjoy writing dialogue, and I think it will work better in comic form than trying to slide a lot of dialogue between images. I feel like it works fine if there's not a ton of dialogue but I feel like a longer conversation can lose context when you're scrolled way past the images. 

 

49 minutes ago, Resdayn said:

Improving always good and brining the best out of your work, is the right atittude.

Things go faster, if you get around more. Sometimes you can make quite aesthetics screenshots and perfectly set scenes for like few hours, sometimes a good pic is few min or sec 🙂

 

As long as you have the picture and the written part in your mind and know how to make those scenes, it can be quite fast, but sametime can be weeks haha or 4-5 days.

 

Its hard work indeed, I recently got into the combat scenes and those are a nightmare. 😇

Yeah. I've already known how to manipulate the game to some degree, but now I'm learning a whole new set of skills. I'm pretty sure I could set that scene in a fraction of that time now. 

 

I do a lot of the writing when I don't have time to use the computer so I usually have a pretty good idea of what's being said when I'm setting up a scene. 

 

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it so much and as soon as I get the chance your stuff is already on my list of things I want to read. Looking forward to it. 😀

Share this comment


Link to comment
10 minutes ago, LexiAJ82 said:

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it so much and as soon as I get the chance your stuff is already on my list of things I want to read. Looking forward to it. 😀

 

Ohh, I hope you can enjoy it, have fun with it 🥰

Share this comment


Link to comment

I can only agree with what Devianna said : larger fonts/bubbles, tone down the transparency. I think the size issue here comes from the fact you do work in 1920x1080, whereas what's displayed is closer to 1200x675.

 

What you're working on :

3.1.jpg

 

 What's displayed :

3.2 Finished.jpg


If you allow me a few suggestions :

  • Increase the size of your fonts. Can't give you a number since it depends on the DPI /resolution of your images.
  • Use the fullwidth display tip :
On 6/17/2018 at 5:57 PM, Tirloque said:

1 - type this code


[img]

2 - Type this code right afterwards


[/img]

3 - Paste your image's url inbetween the two codes you just typed. In case you don't know what it is, go to your image host, click on your image => share => direct link.


https://s25.postimg.cc/ck8h9kren/Team_Wanderers.jpg
  • If that's not enough, choose a lower export resolution (between 1280x720 and 1600x900, which are the most common choices). What's displayed will be closer to what you're working on.

 

On 2/20/2020 at 8:04 AM, LexiAJ82 said:

I'm definitely gaining an appreciation on how much work goes into these, but it's also been really fun and everybody's been very supportive and helpful. 

Malicia : « You're very welcome. :classic_sleepy: »

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, Tirloque said:

I can only agree with what Devianna said : larger fonts/bubbles, tone down the transparency. I think the size issue here comes from the fact you do work in 1920x1080, whereas what's displayed is closer to 1200x675.

 

What you're working on :

3.1.jpg

 

 What's displayed :

3.2 Finished.jpg


If you allow me a few suggestions :

  • Increase the size of your fonts. Can't give you a number since it depends on the DPI /resolution of your images.
  • Use the fullwidth display tip :
  • If that's not enough, choose a lower export resolution (between 1280x720 and 1600x900, which are the most common choices). What's displayed will be closer to what you're working on.

 

Malicia : « You're very welcome. :classic_sleepy: »

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't do the full screen display yet because I haven't set up an image hosting site for my work yet (It is something I'll be doing before I upload my next chapter though). I agree on the text size, and with Devianna that the wide shots probably aren't the best for dialogue bubbles anyway, so I'll be moving in closer for actual dialogue. 

 

As far as the image revolution, I'm still a little fuzzy on how to set it for uploading, but I'll get it figured out. I did look at my actual shor's and compared them to the uploads and there's a definite difference, so good call on that. 😀 

 

Your tutorial has been quite helpful and I'll be referring back to that for sure! 

 

Thanks! 

Share this comment


Link to comment
×
×
  • Create New...