CBBE Brown face bug help needed!

junty

I've been getting this issue as well however it only happens when I try to change my face textures. I currently use Oni body texture and Real HD Face texture and I wanted to try different texture like Ida face texture, I get brown face. I think it's not the body texture but the face texture is what's causing the brown face. Here's some screenshot before and after changing/installing new face textures.

Before: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6S30gKlNFC5VUZkaXhNNUktdHM

After: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6S30gKlNFC5TkJGdi00X3hEYms

I had this problem and found out the cause was simply the name of the CBBE face textures.

The face textures that comes with CBBE are labeled:

Femalebhed_d.dds

Femalebhed_n.dds

Femalebhed_s.dds

The face textures from replacers like Oni Face, Nuclear Nude, and Valkyr are labeled:

BaseFemaleHead_d.dds

BaseFemaleHead_n.dds

BaseFemaleHead_s.dds

I don't have Ida, but it would be the same.

Renaming the texture replacers (face textures) to "Femalebhed_" will fix the dark face.

• 7 months later...

I had this problem and found out the cause was simply the name of the CBBE face textures.

The face textures that comes with CBBE are labeled:

Femalebhed_d.dds

Femalebhed_n.dds

Femalebhed_s.dds

The face textures from replacers like Oni Face, Nuclear Nude, and Valkyr are labeled:

BaseFemaleHead_d.dds

BaseFemaleHead_n.dds

BaseFemaleHead_s.dds

I don't have Ida, but it would be the same.

Renaming the texture replacers (face textures) to "Femalebhed_" will fix the dark face.

I realize this is an old post, but I wanted to prevent anyone else who found this incorrect post from a google search from being mislead. 

Femalebhed_*.dds are a full body vanilla textures that also contain texture for the back of the head or scalp.

BaseFemaleHead_*.dds is only the front of the head or face.

Renaming BaseFemaleHead to anything else is the same as deleting them. Since they are now named incorrectly they are not used at all by the game. CBBE includes these files (Femalebhed) because their body textures do not include texture for the back of the head. They add an esp to direct the game to this file for back of head textures. Yes using CBBE means you are using TWO full body texture sets (_d _n _s) dds files for each female character, but one of them is simply for the back of the head.

• 8 months later...

I have this same problem - have used every fix that is suggested on here/Nexus/Reddit/etc. -- it won't go away.

I used to enjoy FO4. I used to love modding games. This shit makes me want to destroy my computer.

And, guk -- your solution doesn't work, either.

@Gaeryn, i don't know exactly what you have tried, but this happens because of two separate problems:

First one is when loading the texture after loading the save or changing location. Install Rusty Face Fix to solve this bug.

Second one is because of not matching face textures. From a vanilla game, this doesn't happen, because all textures use the same size. Also HD dlc.
The problem occurs when:

!! - Note that by 'face texture', i mean ALL face related textures (character face textures - body doesn't apply-, scars, brows, tattoos and etc. Eyes are also separated).

You have vanilla game and install 2K (or 4K?) character face textures but not textures for the other parts.
Install HD dlc and use mod for vanilla game.

Install 2K face mod with LMCC but not LMCC patch for 2K.

So, how to troubleshoot:

!! - remember: If you don't use Mod Organizer, you should reinstall mods like 2K face after removing others to be sure it is working properly. HD dlc is packed ba2, so any loose file WILL replace it!

If using HD dlc, uninstall any texture mod for the face. If it works, then you have to install those mods again and run any program to duplicate the size of the texture, making it compatible with HD dlc (already mentioned above).

If using 2K face mod, again, uninstall face and brow/tats, etc mods. If it works, forget other mods, or resize them. Always remember that Looks Menu Customization Compendium have 2K patch on it's page.

If using only vanilla game, then you may have installed something for 2K? Try uninstalling all face mods again to see what is giving you problems.

If using FSM, when installing face textures, be sure to check the right option. 2K and HD dlc will give you brown face if you don't use them!

There is a 4K mod out there and i don't use it, but it may conflict with LMCC and other mods.

in the end, it all narrows down in you searching for texture mods for face parts and uninstalling them to test. Remember, eyebrows, tattoos, makeups and etc (tints).

(yes, sadly FO4 face textures are hardcoded and must all be the same size)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had this brown face issue too. Long story short i reinstalled FO4 and started modded it. When i started the game i had this brown face for my character, so easy fix i thought, cuz bunch of post about same size texture. But not just the basic humanfemalehead and body, EVERYTHING! Any tattoo mod or overhaul for the body/face.  I didnt know this, so this brown face persisted if i loaded a preset that used any tattoo that would not match my body texture and face texture. 

So i dont believe in the whole thing that all the post suggest if u face this problem and the few nexus fix that they link aint work. "FuLl ReiNsTalL" 

No u screwed it up for urself, so U have to fix it for urself.

The brown face will be fixed if u redownload and reinstall all ur face/body/tattoo mods with matching resolution. If it still there that means u have missed 1.

Where u have to look is (yourgamefolder)/Data/textures/actors/character  <- in this folder u will find all your basic textures that would easily screw up ur character face. Mostly this 3 folders (Character Assets, Basehumanmale, basehumanfemale) in these folders u easily can see which one wont match ur face texture for example if it 1024x1024 ur tattoo texture size have to be 1024x1024 anything else will lead u to brown face.

For me everything matched expect the specular maps ( the one with the "name"_s.dds ending)  I downloaded some 4k textures along with 2k so they were all mixed.... i left the specular maps on 2k resolution for the tattoo and other stuffs. it took me some hours to figure out, but man what else does Bethesda games good for? mod it till it crash then fix it.

The brown face bug can be difficult to deal with since uninstalling/reinstalling body textures and using bug fixes doesn't always get the job done. It can especially be a pain in the ass for players like me who play a female character and have anywhere from 1 to 5 or 6 female companions at a time...any of them can become afflicted with the brown face bug every time a save is loaded. I have to check each character to make sure the bug didn't spring up every time I reload a speech check or something. If it happens, I just go to a save right before the bug happened and just keep reloading until the bug goes away.

Archived