[WIP] Skykids - Child races & other technical goodies - No more armor patcher! New CotS R2 Race!(6/22/15)

DO NOT PM ME ABOUT PROBLEMS WITH THE MOD! POST IN THE THREAD OR I WILL SIMPLY IGNORE YOU! FURTHERMORE, READ THE FAQ BEFORE POSTING IN THE THREAD WITH YOUR PROBLEMS OR YOU WILL ALSO BE IGNORED! I'M TIRED OF ANSWERING THE SAME EXACT QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER BECAUSE PEOPLE CANT BE BOTHERED TO RTFM!

- - -

Updates:

6/16/15 - New dynamic SKSE armor swapper,(also it does hair too) this means no more clunky skyproc patcher, this will be 'beta 5' now. You need to perform a full 'clean install' before upgrading or things are liable to break horribly. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Major changes in beta 5:

Armor patcher replaced with dynamic SKSE armor swapper

Removed all hair mod patches; hair support is now handled dynamically via the SKSE dll

Fixed bug with NPC replacers where the HF and DB plugins required every other DLC plugin to be loaded

Vanilla child races no longer playable by default(there are plugins to turn them on)

Alt male body and associated armor assets are now included in the package by default(there are plugins to toggle which body type the vanilla races use)

CotS R2 module added

2/19/15 - Moved download links into OP. The download manager/file page for LL appears to be broken, plus I'm tired of using it as its absolutely awful, so from now on you can find the download links under the 'Downloading the files:' section of the installation instructions in this post. I also made one or two minor corrections to the FAQ, and added a link to some compatibility patches for other mods containing children under the installation instructions section.

11/16/14 - Cleaned up OP. That's really all that was changed, the mod itself has not been updated in any way. There are a few more FAQ entries as well which everyone should read.

8/24/14 - NMM/MO installer is now available(I'm technically calling this 'beta 4'), though you really shouldn't be using NMM as its terrible. Manual install instructions have been rewritten to reflect the single file we have now. CGE support file has been removed, as support is now automatic and comes bundled with race menu. The only actual update to the mod is that spyder's altered male textures are now included by default, so there's no changelog. I've also added a link to spyder's alternate NPC replacer addon.

2/17/14 - Small update, the vanilla child replacer now includes support for all of the DLC NPCs, as well as 'placeholder' support for the vanilla males(Babette is still not supported). Redownload and install the vanilla child package to update, but be sure to read the new installation instructions as they have changed with the addition of DLC support. Additionally, in compliance with the new rules at LL, both nude body options as well as the girl body modders resource have been removed.

1/19/14 - Beta 3 is out. The first beta release of the vanilla child replacer is now out, though presently it only contains the 16 vanilla skyrim girls excluding Babette. There are also two new follower addons available that put the two addon races to use on some NPCs, they have their own sections below. The Monli preset patches are fixed now as well, so if you're using that race feel free to try them out. There have also been some updates/additions to the FAQ section, so please check to see if your question is answered in there before posting in the thread. This time there is an incremental patch, so you don't need to redownload the files when upgrading from b2. However there are specific upgrade instructions on this one, which have been added to the installation instructions section, so be sure to read them when upgrading. A complete list of changes is provided below.

Major changes in beta 3:

Eyebrow texture corruption on low spec machines fixed

CharGen Extension support for males is now functional

Monli preset patches now functional

Fixed invisible boots on jester set for male characters(read upgrade instructions, you need to delete some files)

New optional followers added(Lolydia(monli) & Taldyn(drow))

Compatibility patch for Oblivion hair pack AIO added

Vanilla child replacer added

12/14/13 - CharGen Extension support has been added, it has its own section in the installation instructions. I've also made some revisions to the installation instructions in general, most notably highlighting the fact that NMM is not supported. You need to manually install the packages using the provided instructions. I also want to point out that the monli preset plugins are presently broken due to an error on my part, please refrain from using them until I am able to release a hotfix.

12/6/13 - Beta 2 is out. Unfortunately this will require a complete redownload of all packages in order to update, future updates will come with incremental patches for updating between major revisions. The installation instructions have been amended for this new release, so be sure to read them before installing. The BOSS userlist entries have also been updated, so be sure to grab those as well as read the accompanying instructions as they have changed.

Major changes in beta 2:

Height of races reduced from 0.86 to 0.80

New face texture for girls(diffuse and specular map, body texture neck area also updated(diffuse map only))

Minor update to female hand texture(diffuse map)

Armor swapper null pointer error(@209) fixed

SK Monli Race compatibility issue with Little Monli Race mod fixed

Drow Child race compatibility issue with Adult Drow Race mod fixed

Savior's Hide female mesh CTD fixed

Updated alternate male body package

Male Khajiit neck seam fixed

- - -

acub.png

The underlying philosophy behind the development of the project is two fold; firstly, to create a conflict free framework that addresses the technical issues and requirements of a child race mod. Secondly, to implement such a mod while emphasizing immersion and compatibility. We've gone to great lengths ensure inter-compatibility and a minimal footprint for the project. As it stands, the mod should not conflict with anything; in fact it is completely isolated from the vanilla formlists(this does cause a minor issue with hair/eye mods, which is discussed in more detail later). We've made sure everything is done cleanly and correctly, scaling for instance is handled via the race/actor scale values rather than on the skeleton, as one example of many.

Before we get into it, I want to stress that this is very much a beta; everything here is still a work in progress and subject to change. I'm still calling it 'beta' for the moment, however the project is more or less 'mature' as of now. Probably wont be any more major changes from this point on.

Project features as it stands now:

• Playable, functional, child versions of all vanilla races with both genders(including beast races!)
  • Extra standalone fantasy-styled races(optional)
  • Working vampirism, werewolf, and vampire lord form as well as racial quest checks(DB potage quest for instance)
  • Mostly complete(missing Babette, boys are WIP) replacement of vanilla+DLC child NPCs
  • All race assets are completely isolated from vanilla formlists and art assets, and will not conflict with anything(vanilla, mod content, or otherwise)
  • Custom body+textures for girls, with weight slider support(UNP UV layout)
  • Custom body+textures for boys, no weight slider support at present(Vanilla male UV layout, option for UNP UV body available)
  • Functional ARMA based armor swapper for transparent model swapping on equipment(more details below)
  • Complete set of child resized vanilla+dlc armor/clothes for boys(no weight slider support as the body doesn't support it)
  • Complete set of child resized vanilla+dlc armor and limited selection of clothes for girls(no weight slider support on these yet)

Future Goals/WIP:

The project is actually mostly done and 'feature complete' as it stands. It still says 'beta' on the tin, but its more or less all there. All the old stuff that used to be listed in this section has been scrapped, as it has become readily apparent that 'we' really consists of just 'me'.

- - -

General Information:

At its core, the project(at least as of the latest update) is designed as more of a 'technical framework' than a mod in and of itself. It takes care of all the technical problems inherent with child races(and custom races in general), and provides a solid framework for others to build off of. The original goal of modularity that was touted so loudly is still around, and I'd like to think has been achieved. There are of course a few 'example' packages that ship along with the mod that utilize the aforementioned framework, so you have your basic NPC replacer and a couple standalone races or conversions that use the resources provided here...

Main package - Skykids:

This is the core component of the package, and is required for everything else; it has the child versions of all the races and the records necessary to drive the armor swapper. The races in here are set to non-playable by default and have to be enabled via an external plugin if you want the option to play as them. All the other packages(or external mods+addons) depend on this part of the mod. In its default configuration, this component of the mod should have absolutely no outward effect on your game, so if you're just installing it as a requirement for something else(one of the official addons, external mod by another author, etc.) you shouldn't have to worry about it interfering with anything.

Main package - Vanilla Child NPCs:

This module aims to switch all the vanilla children's races over to their Skykids counterparts, and give them new facegen data and outfits(resized vanilla Skyrim clothing). This is just a basic visual overhaul, nothing fancy. It presently changes all vanilla and DLC NPCs save for Babette(each DLC gets its own separate plugin). The quality here isn't the best as I'm not super great at making faces(especially with the vanilla skyrim assets that are being used here), but it gets the job done if you simply want to rid yourself of the vanilla potato-heads.

Alternate Vanilla Child NPCs: (external link)

Credit for this mod goes to SpyderArachnid. This is an alternative NPC replacer with a different visual theme(think more like CotS). This does the exact same job as the 'official' NPC replacer that comes with Skykids, but simply looks different. Obviously you can only have one of the two NPC replacers active at a given time. More information and screenshots can be found on his mod page at the link above, be sure to read the instructions and install all the requirements before using.

Addon - Monli Race:

This is one of the 'standalone fantasy races' talked about above; it is female only presently, is shorter than the main races, and uses an alternate skeleton morph on top of that, not much more than that to say about it. It uses some different facegen assets from the main races(and as such looks a fair bit better) which are taken from various sources I forgot to cite(as I was never intending to share it initially). There are also some optional plugins that apply hairs from Apachii and the Oblivion hair packs to the racial presets, if you happen to have those mods installed and wish to use them. There are also appropriately labelled screenshots in the relevant section(optional hair plugins enabled).

Addon - Drow Child Race:

This is a similar 'unofficial continuation' of Zazemel's Drow Race(all credit for original assets goes to their original authors) as the other one also available here on LL, however this only implements the child version of the race(and only the females at that, the males were never finished in the original mod either). The textures are now setup for UNP instead of CBBE like the original, most of them were rebuilt from scratch to appear similar to the original, while the specular maps were merely converted(there might be some minor seams in this at the top of the legs). It is shorter than the main races, and uses the same alternate skeleton setup as the Monli race does. Most of the other assets are taken from the original mod along with most of the presets, though some of the facegen assets have been replaced so those will likely look different. Screenshots can be found in the screenshots area and will be labelled as coming from this race. One other note, despite the male side of the race not being implemented, their hair appears to be broken for some reason. The female side operates correctly, and considering the males aren't supposed to be playable anyway I have not endeavoured to fix it yet, I just want to point out that it is a known issue(and seemingly doesn't affect anything else).

Addon - CotS R2 Race:

It's the old CotS R2 race! Except brought into line with current LL policies, and with all of the bugs fixed. It's in actuality a ground up rebuild, but it uses all the same visual assets as the original did. I apologize for the hot pink swimwear as underwear for the girls, but it was literally the only file I could dig up as far as underwear was concerned(if you have something better, or less... pink, please let me know). I'm not bothering to do up a fancy description for this, as I figure most people already know what it is. It looks and plays exactly as the original mod did, just with no bugs or conflicts, and no asset overwrites on the vanilla files, and armor swapper support.

Addon - Lolydia(follower):

This is inspired from a rather old version of the Lolydia mod that's been floating around for a while now. Redesigns(and replaces) Lydia based off of the Monli race(which is required obviously), nothing too terribly fancy here. This is simply a graphical replacement.

Addon - Drow Taldyn(follower):

As the Drow Child race was based on the original Drow race mod, this follower is based off of inspired from the original Drow followers provided with said mod. It's a redesign/rebuild of the child follower Taldyn from the original mod, minus the worldspace edits, instead you can find her in the Sleeping Giant Inn(as if the place wasn't crowded enough, right?). I took some creative liberties with her appearance and stats, but there really isn't anything out of the ordinary going on.

- - -

Screenshots:

mrmh.jpg ka4r.jpg zbq7.jpg

w8pt.jpg yq5v.jpg gh9q.jpg

5dsq.jpg hefy.jpg fw5f.jpg

l6qq.jpg im3d.jpg hz0s.jpg

- - -

Installation Instructions:

Required content:

Skyrim v1.9.32.0

Dawnguard

Required mods:

SKSE v1.7.2 (or newer)

Racial Compatibility for Skyrim and Dawnguard (use of this specific version of RC is required(v1.80 or later); this version contains specific extra functionality for custom races that is required for Skykids)

More Follower Voices Mod (only required for follower addons, however still strongly recommended)

Recommended mods:

BOSS or LOOT

Race Menu (strongly encouraged over ECE(I will no longer support ECE!))

Size Does Matter (fixes child NPCs becoming huge, and getting stuck that way, when interacting with objects in the world(yes there will be clipping as a result of this mod, but its better than gigantic NPCs))

Player Size Adjuster (allows adjustment of move speed/jump height independently of actor scale via MCM menu(remember to disable during initial character creation due to a bug, see FAQ entry for more info))

Load Order Manager userlist entries and instructions:

-LOOT Users: Autopilot, run it and forget.

-BOSS Users: These are the BOSS userlist entries which need to be installed; if you don't know how to do this simply paste the below spoiler tagged section into the file located at '<BOSS install location>\skyrim\userlist.txt'. If the file or directory doesn't exist, run BOSS at least once and it will generate it for you. This has entries for everything, so BOSS may complain about having user rules installed for files that don't exist unless you install every possible optional file; just ignore it, it isn't hurting anything(this issue may have been patched out though). tl;dr: some of the files have been added to the official BOSS masterlist since the initial release, however they messed up the order so you need to make sure to have these overrides installed or you will end up with out of order masters and crash(thanks boss masterlist guys!).

These have been updated for all the new content, so be sure to clean out any old userlist entries(if present) before adding these('Skykids.esm' is intentionally absent).

OVERRIDE: SK Drow Child Race.esm

AFTER: Skykids.esm

OVERRIDE: SK Monli Race.esm

ADD: SK Children of the Sky.esm

ADD: monli preset1.esp

BOTTOM: Overrides

ADD: monli preset2.esp

ADD: monli preset3.esp

ADD: SK Lolydia.esp

BOTTOM: Companions

ADD: SK Drow Taldyn.esp

BOTTOM: Companions

ADD: SK Vanilla Child Replacer.esp

ADD: SK Vanilla Child Replacer HF.esp

ADD: SK Vanilla Child Replacer DB.esp

Downloading the files:

Due to LL's download system generally being a broken PoS(more so than usual at the moment), I've elected to just store the download links here instead of using the awful file manager. The necessary files for each package are listed under its installation instructions.

Skykids main file (installer package)

(Resource) Follower voices revert (special file for those having trouble with follower voices, see FAQ)

(Resource) Tes5edit Scripts (used for making your own compatibility patches, see technical information section)

Cosmetic mod(eyes/brows) compatibility patches:

Certain cosmetic mods will require patching in order to function correctly with the new races; essentially anything that isn't hair will require a patch(hair is now patched automatically via the mods SKSE plugin). Officially created patches are listed here and instructions for making your own can be found below in the technical information section. Patches only work for a single module, and need to be kept active(see technical information section), so for any given mod you will require a patch for every SK module you wish to use it on. You obviously need the listed version of the parent mod installed before installing any of these. All compatibility patches are contained in the main download(and listed in the installer), with the name of the individual files listed below alongside the mods that they patch.

Eyes:

The Eyes of Beauty v8.2 for main Skykids races(vanilla races) - '40 The Eyes of Beauty/SK TheEyesOfBeauty.esp'

Compatibility patches for other mods containing children:

A number of compatibility patches for other mods have been generously provided by arkayn71 over on the nexus, and can be found here. A full list of the covered mods can be found on its mod page, and as it is updated fairly regularly I won't bother attempting to list them all here, just check the link.

Upgrading from an earlier version to B5: <-- THIS PART IS NOT OPTIONAL!! Don't go asking for help in the thread unless you've done this, you will be shunned otherwise.

You need to perform a clean install in order to upgrade! I cannot stress this enough, the mod will break horribly if you try and install over an existing install of B4 or older. If you were using B4, you should be able to just use its installer to remove it. If you were using B3 or one of the other earlier versions which did not come with an installer, you will have to manually delete everything(consult the archives you installed from for a list of files).

You also need to be absolutely sure to delete the following files(double check that they have been removed, even if you uninstalled via the wizard included in B4!):

The entire directory at "Data\Meshes\skykids-armorswap\"

Your generated armor patch plugin "SK Child Armor Swapper.esp"(yes it is safe to remove this on an existing save)

The entire SkyProc armor patcher directory "Data\SkyProc Patchers\SKArmorPatcher\"(you will likely need to rerun SUM if you are using other patchers, after removing this one)

Any plugins to patch hair mods such as apachii or the oblivion hair packs(hair mods are now patched automatically via the SKSE plugin).

NMM/MO Wizard Install:

With the new installer enabled package, there's just the one main download(Skykids.7z). Run this installer through either NMM or MO(no BAIN support for wrye yet, so wrye users need to follow the manual instructions), and it should handle everything automatically. It should check for dependencies before giving you the option to install something(with the exception of the cosmetic patches! requirements for those will be listed to the user but not enforced by the installer!), so if a specific option isn't showing up you're probably missing something it requires.

There is also an 'express install' option which only installs the main Skykids esm file and its required assets; this is mainly for users installing the Skykids framework for use with some other external mod or addon that requires it(this configuration will have no outward effect on your game by itself).

The armor patcher is gone as of B5, and has been replaced with an SKSE dll that does the same job automatically, so you no longer have to worry about running it.

The old manual instructions are still provided below and have been amended to reflect the new installer package(and further amended for B5), so you can still use them to install as well as to find more info about the specific bits.

Manual Install:

Skykids - Manual Install:

Install is fairly straight forward, just download the main file and extract the '00 Base' directory to your skyrim data directory.

The races will be non-playable by default, so if you want the ability to play as one of the vanilla child races you will need to install the plugin located in '50 Playable Kids'.

There are in total four different combinations of options which are controlled by plugins like this, and you need to make sure you are only ever running one of them at any given time(easiest way to do this is to use the installer). The options are 'non-playable children' with no plugin, 'playable children' with the above listed plugin, and two more options for these settings but employing the alternate male body, which are outlined below in the appropriate section.

Vanilla Child Replacer - Manual Install:

Download the main file, there are subfolders for Skyrim('30 Skyrim NPC'), Hearthfire('30 Hearthfire NPC'), and Dragonborn('30 Dragonborn NPC'). Extract the contents of the folders for the content which you own into to your data folder, then activate their plugins; 'SK Vanilla Child Replacer.esp' for Skyrim, 'SK Vanilla Child Replacer HF.esp' for Hearthfire, and 'SK Vanilla Child Replacer DB.esp' for Dragonborn. All three plugins can be used independently of each other if desired.

Monli Addon - Manual Install:

Install is similar to the above, just download the main file and extract the contents of the '20 Monli Race' directory to your data directory.

Simply activate the main plugin 'SK Monli Race.esm', then if you so desire(and have the appropriate mods installed) enable the preset patches(found in the '20 Monli Presets' directory) to put the correct/intended custom hair on the presets for the monli race(these patches only affect the default hair on the racial presets; available hair selection behaves as it otherwise would regardless of whether you have these installed or not).

Drow Child Addon - Manual Install:

Very similar to the Monli race, just download the main file and extract the '10 Drow Race' directory to your data directory, then activate the plugin 'SK Drow Child Race.esm'

Drow Child Addon - Manual Install:

Very similar to the other two races, just download the main file and extract the '25 CotS Race' directory to your data directory, then activate the plugin 'SK Children of the Sky.esm'

Lolydia Follower - Manual Install:

This requires both the Monli addon, as well as Apachii Sky Hair; ensure that you have both before continuing. Download the main file and extract the contents of the '20 Lydia Replacer' directory to your data directory, then activate 'SK Lolydia.esp'. Obviously this replaces Lydia, so go about obtaining her as you usually would.

Taldyn(Drow) Follower - Manual Install:

This requires the Drow Child addon, as well as MFVM(listed under the global required mods above), ensure that you have both before continuing. Download the main file and extract the contents of the '10 Taldyn Follower' directory to your data directory, then activate 'SK Drow Taldyn.esp'. Taldyn can be found in the Sleeping Giant Inn and has no special requirements for hiring.

Optional alternate boy body - Manual Install:

This is the old boy body we had before our new/current one was finished. Some people seemed to prefer it over the new, so it is here as optional content. It should have a full set of armor conversions to go with it, but I cannot guarantee that it has everything(if it doesn't, they likely wont be added in the future).

This has actually been fixed up recently and comes installed out of the box as an asset which other mods or addons can use. Which body the main vanilla child races use now determined by a plugin(along with whether or not they are playable)

You need put the plugin in either '50 Alt Male' or '50 Playable Kids Alt Male' in your data folder(depending on whether or not you want the races to be playable) or use the installer. Since the assets are now contained in their own separate directory vs overwriting the default asset as before, uninstallation is as simple as deactivating the plugin/replacing it with another.

- - -

FAQ/Troubleshooting:

Armor mod X isn't working with the armor swapper:

With the new SKSE based armor swapper(java patcher has since been taken out back and shot), you should honestly never run into this issue. Nevertheless if it happens, you will need to post in the thread with the name of the armor that is not working, along with a link to where the mod containing it can be obtained.

Vanilla armor X isn't working with the armor swapper:

If you're using any mods for your adults which change the model paths on your armors in order to replace them with alternate variants, this will adversely affect the SK armor swapper seeing as it checks for replacement child sized models based on the regular adult path. The only real solution to this problem is to copy the existing child sized models inside the armor swapper folder over to new paths matching that of the replaced adult models(still inside the armor swapper folder mind you). That or uninstall the offending mod.

Racial Compatibility isn't working(can't pass racial quest checks, transformations aren't working correctly, etc.):

If you're running into issues where you can't pass quest checks or any of the other things that RC addresses, the problem is usually some other mod is overriding RC's changes with their own. There are actually quite a few mods out there that for one reason or another didn't properly/fully implement RC, added a hacky workaround instead, and then left the RC requirement; rest assured this mod is not the culprit. First off, try reinstalling RC(making sure to overwrite everything); some mods come bundled with old/outdated/wrong copies of RC scripts for whatever reason, and can gum up the works(though if this wound up being the problem, you may be stuck making a new character or performing console wizardry; make sure you have the right RC scripts loaded before you start a new game unless you want to have to deal with this). If that doesn't work, sadly there isn't a simple answer; you can either start turning off extra mods(typically races) and try to pass the check until it works, then turn them back on afterwards which usually takes care of it. Alternatively, users familiar with tes5edit can attempt to clean the offending mods themselves; just load your entire load order up and start checking the records that RC patches for conflicts(and those nearby, where quests are concerned), then delete the records from the offending mods(and go bother the creators to fix their mods!). I ran into this issue myself during development, turns out I had no less than 3 mods in my load order that were all guilty of this(and like an idiot I didn't bother to write down which ones they were before I patched them). This is pretty much guaranteed to cause the issues you are experiencing on the skykids to happen on the race you are patching, but the only alternative is disabling the plugin as stated above(or hoping the developer releases a fix).

I'm using one of the follower mods, and their follower dialog is unvoiced:

Before MFVM was created, the only way to use the child voice on a follower was to do a dirty hack, and add the child voice type to the list of acceptable follower voices to get the dialog working. This made it 'work', but obviously none of the lines were actually voiced, leaving you with this exact problem. MVFM creates entirely new dialog paths specifically for the child voice(among many others) and reuses the vanilla voice samples for its lines, in order to make it more or less as functional as any of the intended vanilla follower voice types. Unfortunately if you have that formlist hack included in any of the mods in your game, it takes priority over the dialog for MFVM and you go back to having silent voices on the followers. Ideally you would want to get updated versions of any offending mods, that don't include the the formlist edit, however that isn't always possible so I made a simple plugin to revert the formlist to its vanilla state. If you can't get it to work any other way, try downloading [Resource] Follower voices revert.rar, extract and activate it and stick it at the absolute bottom of your load order and it should fix the issue. As long as you have MFVM enabled, any mods that previously required the edit should continue to function as intended(at least as far as the child voices are concerned).

My character walks/runs slower than other races:

This is on account of the races scale, the child races in the main package are set to 0.80; an actors scale adjusts its move speed as well as size. In contrast to other child mods that handle their downscaling via the skeleton, lowering the races scale results in a slower move speed and lower jump height. This makes sense from a realism standpoint, however if you dislike it you can use a mod such as Player Size Adjuster to adjust your move speed and jump height independently of your actor scale. There is one catch with Player Size Adjuster though; upon leaving initial character creation with its plugin enabled it has a habit of making short races very tall for some reason. In its MCM menu it displays final scale(actor scale * base/race scale) on its slider, so putting it back in the 'default' position is a little more complicated than just setting it to '1.0'. The simple solution is to just disable the PSA plugin during initial chargen, and then re-enable it when finished; after that it works properly on entering/exiting the chargen menu.

I have CME/ECE installed and <insert any problem here>:

Don't use bad mods like ECE; I'm done cleaning up other peoples messes.

While we've gone to great lengths to make sure the mod is compatible with everything else, certain mods such as CME are inherently incompatible with everything else around them. If you're having all kinds of crazy problems during chargen or the skeleton is changing sizes on its own(most notably the head), these issues are caused by CME and the only way get around them is to either remove it completely, or install and run RaceMenu in addition to CME. Unfortunately you can't simply turn off the plugin for CME, you need to remove the binary(.dll) SKSE extension too or it will break chargen entirely. The alternative of having RaceMenu installed alongside CME is preferable as it allows it's binary plugin to continue functioning for CME enabled races, while preventing it from adversely affecting every other race in your game. Unfortunately I've noticed during extensive testing that even with RaceMenu installed, CME still has a chance of resetting the scaling on the head when loading a save game. If you absolutely have to have CME there is a procedure outlined below that you can follow to fix this(using RaceMenu alongside is still recommended). Lastly, when loading save games with CME enabled, you may occasionally continuously be prompted by a dialog box from CME asking if you want to rerun chargen; always answer 'no' to this.

The skeleton rescaling functionality of CME is... 'less than ideal', and while it supports adding your own custom ini files to define exactly how your custom race should be handled, it only actually checks for the existence of said configuration information if your race uses CME enabled tri files. You therefore have to modify the unsupported races configuration and disable the skeleton scaling support. This file can be found at 'meshes\CharacterMakingExtender\commonTriRace\unSupportedRaces_slider.ini', you need to place a '#' at the beginning of every line that doesn't already have one on lines 29 through 46 and save.

I have Race Menu installed and my characters head is the wrong size/too small:

Race Menu comes with an extra, optional plugin that provides skeleton scaling support, 'RaceMenuPlugin.esp'. In older versions of RM it unfortunately does not work correctly with skeletons that have scaling built in like the ones provided with this mod do, and resets all bones that it supports to a scale of 1.0. You need to disable 'RaceMenuPlugin.esp' and the problem will go away. Alternatively you can just update your copy of race menu to the latest version as this problem has since been fixed.

- - -

Technical info:

Armor Swapper:

Now with 100% less java and 100% more SKSE! I don't actually feel like writing up a tech entry for the SKSE patcher at the moment, so I've just spoilered the old info regarding the java patcher as both solutions essentially do the same thing, however the SKSE one just does it dynamically when you launch the game as opposed to creating a static plugin like the SkyProc one did. The SKSE plugin does a whole bunch of other stuff too(like patching hair mods) that will eventually be outlined here when I feel like it... so basically never.

Yes, the big shiny thing mentioned above; this guy will transparently swap the models for anything you equip, providing a suitable replacement mesh is available. No real black magic, it operates on race specific ARMA records generated by the included armor patcher that you run. The races in the mod are not configured to use defaultrace or any of the other vanilla races as their armor race, as is typical with race mods; instead they operate as their own armor race just like the vanilla races do. This enables them to have their own ARMA entries on any given piece of equipment in order to have custom meshes set. The obvious drawback is that the races now need to have their own custom ARMA records defined on all equipment(in both vanilla skyrim and any installed mods) or it wont show up when equipped on them. This is where the patcher comes in, it simply iterates through all wearable equipment in all loaded plugins and makes copies of its ARMA records for the new races(and obviously adds them to the parent ARMO), and if a file exists in 'meshes\skykids-armorswap\child' with the same name and path as the one defined in the copied ARMA, it switches the path before moving on(otherwise the default mesh is kept). You can replace any mesh for any mod, providing you know the path and name the replacement file correctly, just run the patcher to update everything and it's all handled automatically. No floating scripts or item swapping to mess with, nice and clean. For any interested modders who'd like to adapt this system to other applications; we are planning on releasing it as a modders asset sometime in the near future, we just want to get the main project released and running smoothly beforehand. There are tons of other cool potential applications, like having a player/race exclusive armor path setup for other/vanilla races for those who want to have skimpy/etc armor on their PC without replacing it on every other NPC in skyrim(and not causing massive conflicts and having to mess around in the CK constantly).

Vanilla formlist independence(hair/eye mods not working):

Addendum: New SKSE patcher dynamically patches hair mods by merging their 'valid race' formlists with the relevant skykids ones in memory, I have not amended the below information to reflect this. Eye/brow/etc mods still have to be patched the old way listed below.

There is but one slight problem with isolating mods from the vanilla formlists; suddenly hair and eye mods don't work anymore. The issue is that bethesda lumped about 80% of the face parts onto one valid race formlist, which happens to include the hair(and is consequently where pretty much all hair mods wind up getting put). I can't simply stick us in there(via script of course) as not only would that enable the hair, but it would enable most of the other vanilla face parts, which in all likelyhood are not going to fit on the child faces. So we would have a ton of gimped face parts hanging out in the chargen, not good, and replacing the vanilla facegen files with our own like some mods do was simply unacceptable(why do people think this is ok...). The only alternative I could think of was to patch the hair mods themselves to check a different formlist(the races in the mod have a dedicated formlist for hair, separate from the rest of the face parts), to this end I created a set of tes5edit scripts to automate the process. Ideally, once things get up and running smoothly we can provide pre-patched copies of popular mods so people don't have to fool with doing it themselves, however the process is relatively easy and almost entirely automated so if it comes down to it you can do it yourself with minimal effort, there are instructions for this further down. Also of note, the way hair and eye(or anything else non hair) mods are handled is different and its somewhat important to understand, there's a section dealing with it directly above the section explaining how to make your own patches.

Hair and eye mod compatibility patch technical differences(and to a lesser extent, operation):

Addendum: New SKSE patcher dynamically patches hair mods by merging their 'valid race' formlists with the relevant skykids ones in memory, I have not amended the below information to reflect this. Eye/brow/etc mods still have to be patched the old way listed below.

At their core, patches for these kinds of mods simply swap the valid races formlist used by the HDPT records in the mods to point to new lists for the races in this mod(this is done with a simple string replacement). With the mod in question patched, it stops being selectable on the vanilla races(and any other races with properly implemented RC), and becomes available on the races provided in this mod. Of note, the only time the valid races list is actually referenced is during chargen(and also in the CK); once you've made your character you can turn off the plugin and your hair will stick without issue, conversely mods and existing characters on vanilla or other races will be unaffected while the plugin is running. Hair mods are the simplest of the bunch, there's no extra data that needs to get changed for them to fit properly, so all that needs to be done is to create a new [separate] plugin that patches the existing mod and changes the formlists; simply turn it on when you go to make a character with the new races, then turn it off when you're done. This kind of patch can be done in bulk if you're doing it yourself; I have all of my hair mods patched by one single esp. Eye and other kinds of mods are slightly more complicated; these kinds of mods reference facegen assets, specifically the vanilla facegen assets, this means they will almost invariably not fit properly. The obvious solution is to change the paths to point to the files used by this mod instead, however that comes with a nice little catch; now any other race or mod that uses the file ends up using the facegen assets for this mod and now they don't fit properly. This is kind of a crapshoot, but the best solution I've been able to come up with is to make a copy of the file and then patch it directly(vs externally like we did with the hair). The patching script has some extra code that kicks in when working with things other than hair and will automatically patch the facegen asset paths(using string replacement, as above). Obviously this two file system makes creating mods which rely on external eye mods based on the new races kind of a pain, as everyone's copy needs to be named the same; for this reason I'd suggest sticking with the "SK " prefix for consistency. I'm working on a better solution for this however, more to come on that as progress is made...

Making your own hair/eye mod compatibility patches:

First, read the above section that explains how these work. I want to point out that tes5edit is a powerful, complicated tool, and pretty much requires a solid understanding of how plugins and the various records function in order to operate it without making a mess or setting something on fire; there are very few safeguards. I can explain the procedure to a certain extent, but you may notice that I don't go into a whole lot of detail regarding what to do if something doesn't happen exactly the way it's supposed to. To explain every possible circumstance that you may find yourself in along the way is far far outside the realm of what I am prepared to or capable of doing, this is already easily the largest section of the FAQ(and as such, gets a spoiler tag). If you've never used tes5edit before, and while following the directions exactly, you run into a problem that isn't explained, you're pretty much on your own. For those experienced modders among us, unfortunately you have to stomach this wall of text; this was enough of a hassle to write, I don't want to have to go back and write a second, less idiot-proof version. More importantly there are a few important details to pay attention to while patching these things, so I'd really recommend that at the absolute minimum you read the above section before jumping in head first...

So, you need to get Tes5edit and the edit scripts([Resource] Tes5edit Scripts.rar). Ignore the 'dev' folder(these are scripts I made to port the vanilla skyrim records en masse, provided for reference purposes only) and extract these to the 'Edit Scripts' folder in the directory where you put tes5edit. There are two scripts that you're going to be working with, 'AAA Make Head Part Patch.pas' and 'AAA Make Head Part Patch Alternate.pas'. The first script is going to work 99% of the time, and is nice, clean, and automated. The second script is basically a large blunt instrument that you hit mods that don't behave with; considerably less automated, and more importantly, less safe.

We'll cover hair mods first; fire up tes5edit, right click in the plugin selection window it gives you and hit 'select none', then select 'skykids.esm' along with any hair mods you intend to patch(you can patch as many files as you want at once/in one file), and then hit ok. Wait for it to finish loading everything; stuff popping up on the left pane does not mean its done, you need to wait for the message pane on the right to read 'Background Loader: finished'. Once everything is loaded, go to the first hair mod you want to patch and expand it in the hierarchical(tree) view; if you're lucky the only things in there will be 'File Header', 'FormID List', 'Head Part', and 'Texture Set', if there's more things you might be in for a slightly bumpy ride. Right click on 'Head Part' and select 'Deep copy as override into...', choose '<new file>' down at the bottom of the list, then hit ok. It's going to ask you to enter a file name, choose whatever you like, I named mine 'hair patch', be sure to leave off the file extension like it says(additionally, the load order for this file doesn't matter; I didn't even give mine a userlist entry for BOSS). Your new file is going to pop up at the bottom of the list on the left side now, right click it and hit 'Add Masters...', then select 'skykids.esm' in the window that pops up and hit ok.

Now you get to run the scripts on your patch, right click on 'Head Part' under your file and select 'Apply Script', a window will come up where you can select script files using a drop down at the top(my scripts are going to be at the top because I stuck all those 'A's before their names), you want the first script(AAA Make Head Part Patch). With the script selected go ahead and press ok to run it, it shouldn't take more than a second to finish, at which point you should see something like this come up in your message window '[Apply Script done] Processed Records: 218, Elapsed Time: 00:00'. If that's all that came up you're good to go, I'd do a safety save(ctrl+s like anything else, despite there not being a button for it) then restart and reload your plugin and the hair mods(unless of course this is the only mod you are patching). At this point you can go deep copy more hair mods into your new patch file if you want, however until you know which mods are troublemakers and will require special treatment to get working I'd stick with doing one mod at a time then saving and reloading your file in tes5edit once you successfully run the scripts on it. Keep in mind that when adding subsequent mods to your patch you will need to select(shift+select) the records you copy into your file manually when you go to apply the scripts(they're gonna have their names in bold and will have a green background before you run any scripts on them, vs the non-bold names of everything that was there when you loaded the file) rather than selecting the entire head parts section(and having it run on all the other records you've already patched).

If you wound up with a bunch of messages like 'problem finding valid races formlist for XXXXX', you've got yourself a problem. Thankfully I've only run into this problem exactly once(on an older(v1.3) version of Lovely Hairstyles LITE, the latest version has fixed this), which for whatever reason made its own formlists to use on its hairs(which means it will only work on the vanilla races). I have absolutely no idea why anyone would ever do that or think that that was a good idea, but we have a fix for it; script number two. First you need to figure out which of the vanilla formlists best resemble the custom formlist the mod has setup; expand the mod in question then expand 'FormID Lists' underneath it, hopefully there's only one thing in there, click on it and take a look at which races are listed in the record details on the right side. Rather than try to fish out the vanilla formlists from skyrim.esm, and since we're not actually going to be using them, you can view their counterparts in skykids.esm in a nice orderly fashion instead. First switch the view to sort by editor id alphabetically by clicking the 'Editor ID' column at the top until you get the up arrow next to it, then expand skykids.esm and the formlists section under it; take a look at records up at the top starting with 'AdoHair'. Compare the contents of the list in the hair mod with these guys, try to figure out which one of these lists it most resembles; hair mod authors generally choose to restrict their mod from appearing on certain races if they have poor fitment issues or clipping, however there are adequate vanilla formlists to handle pretty much all possible configurations. If all else fails or you have no idea what's going on, you can always cheese it and use 'AdoHairAllRacesMinusBeast'.

With that sorted, go collapse all this stuff so its out of the way and head back to your files 'Head Parts' section. Go ahead and shfit+select the records you just copied in; if you had previously added hair records to your patch successfully and then restarted(there is a reason why we do this), you will be able to identify the latest records via their names being bold vs the standard font used on the records you previously imported and patched(if you didn't restart then everything is bold and you get to have fun trying to fish out and select the records manually), if this is the first mod you are patching then obviously they will be the only records in your patch. Right click on the selected records and hit 'Apply Script' again, this time run 'AAA Make Head Part Patch Alternate', and it will ask you to enter the editor id(EDID) of a formlist in skykids.esm. Enter the name of the formlist you selected earlier; the name needs to be an exact match however it is not case sensitive. This should complete successfully(and nearly instantly) and leave you with a message like '[Apply Script done] Processed Records: 14, Elapsed Time: 00:00', this script is pretty much impossible to screw up as all it is doing is bulk changing the valid races(RNAM) subrecord on the records you selected. If somehow you end up with an error such as 'Script terminated itself, Result=#', it probably means you typed(try copy pasting) the editor id in wrong and it failed to get a match(4), alternative causes for error include [and are limited to] pressing the cancel button(3), not having skykids.esm loaded(1), and selecting anything other than a head part(HDPT) record(2). With that, the problematic hair mod should have been patched successfully, go ahead and save and reload and keep patching the rest of the mods.

The only other odd configuration issue I've run into(which doesn't actually cause an error message surprisngly) is with numenume Hair, this mod doesn't have anything set for its valid races formlist. This actually makes it available on all races you have loaded, on one hand that sounds pretty great, on the other hand you wind up with hair on argonians which looks ridiculous. Now the backup script doesn't actually work on these since they don't have the valid races field present in their records; if you happen to run into another mod that does this you need to manually go through each record and right click the valid races field and hit 'Add'. Once that's taken care of the backup script will function and you can set it to whichever formlist you like; I used 'AdoHairAllRacesMinusBeast' when I patched the mod in question.

That pretty much covers hair mods; eye and other kinds of mods are more complicated but the procedures involved are pretty much the exact same so there's a lot less reading. As I explained above, you need to make a copy of the mod in question in order to retain functionality with vanilla races; if you have absolutely no intention of using it with vanilla or other races you can skip this step, however you need to override its position in the load order so you can master skykids.esm if you go this route(same procedure and placement as below(try 'OVERRIDE: OriginalEyeMod.esm')). So go ahead and copy the mod and rename it with the prefix "SK "(for 'skykids', obviously), like I pointed out above if we have tons of different people using tons of different naming schemes, trying to use a mod based on this one that requires some sort of eye mod becomes a real pain in the ass. After you have your new file setup I highly recommend you add a BOSS userlist rule to sort it directly below the original file if its an esp, and [less optionally] after skykids.esm if its an esm(the specific syntax you're looking for is 'AFTER: skykids.esm', or you can use the gui userlist manager which I'm less(not at all) familiar with).

First thing you need to do is add skykids.esm as a master to your new file. The procedure for patching these is different than hair in that you patch the file(albeit a copy of the file) directly rather than with an external override plugin; just apply the main script to the head part group of the file you're patching and it should handle everything. Conceivably you could run into the same formlist problem I went over in the hair section, however I have yet to encounter a mod that does this. The important thing to remember is that the backup script is meant to be used after the primary script, even if the first script is giving you errors; it does other things besides switch the valid races when you're not working with hair(this was explained in the previous section), and these things still happen even if its spitting errors at you(I'm referring specifically to 'error' messages generated by the script, if you get a popup window from tes5edit telling you it encountered an error, it cuts out in the middle of whatever it was trying to do, often leaving the records in a broken state; at this point you pretty much need to figure out what you did wrong and then reload without saving). If you do end up having to patch the formlists with the backup script, the procedure is exactly the same as above.

That covers the head parts in general, however there is one slight technicality regarding the extra addon races which use custom facegen assets; these guys have their facegen files in a separate directory and they use different valid race formlists(for the exact same reason the races in the main mod use their own separate formlists). If you're not going to be using those, you already have everything you need and don't have to read the rest of this. Before going in head first, keep in mind that this procedure only applies to eye/brow/etc mods; the hair formlists in skykids.esm are shared between all plugin races so you don't have to go through this(this is actually the reason why the hair has separate formlists).

Word of warning, I don't have this stuff anywhere near as automated as patching for the main mod is, you're going to have to manually configure the scripts and you really need to understand what you're doing with BOSS to make sure everything gets put where it's supposed to go. So at this point things get really fun and you wind up with loads of different copies of the same mod if you want to support all the races at the same time, personally I've got my stuff patched solely for the race that I use and nothing else. For each extra race plugin you have to make another separate copy of the file you're patching; I have not the slightest idea on the basis for a naming scheme for these, perhaps we simply don't make mods that require them?

First you have to make sure this new file gets sorted properly by BOSS so that you can add the plugin you're patching for as a master(remember to actually add it as a master in tes5edit). Next you have to edit the main script(you can do this directly in the apply script window, there's some variables at the top of the file) and manually set the replacement asset path to where the plugin stores its files(generally they all start with 'skykids-'), don't bother with the filename setting as that part wont work regardless of what you set it to. At this point you can apply the script and it should patch the facegen paths(assuming you configured it properly), though it will give you errors about the valid races on everything(the script wasn't really designed to handle this). So now you need to edit the backup script and change the master file referenced from skykids.esm to the plugin that you're working with, then use it to set the valid races properly. The plugins generally only have a single set of valid race lists for their races, with options of 'not vampire', 'vampire', and 'both'; look at the vanilla formlist the mod you are patching was set to by default to determine which variant of the list you need to use(eyes generally go on the 'not vampire' list, brows generally go on the 'both' list, and you pretty much never touch the 'vampire' list). Assuming you don't get any errors you should be good to go, just remember to revert your changes to the script files when you're done.

- - -

Credits:

Development & Contributors:

en_hawk - Plugin design, refined installer script, tes5edit scripts, girl body, small number of armor conversions

luthien - SKSE based armor swapper and hair patcher dll

D4rkOn3 - Pretty much all of the armor conversions and the new boy body

arlekin - Optional/old boy body

Johann7124 - Porting original XPMS skeletons to XPMSE

Pogost - Original facegen presets

Alwin Wormheart - Handful of new facegen presets

JerWA - Handful of new facegen presets and all around helper

Zixaphir - Contributing original NMM/MO installer script

SpyderArachnid - Updated male textures

TMPhoenix - Adding new functionality to RC, per-request, to better support mods implementing non-standard formlist configurations

Other mod's assets:

XPMS by xp32 - Really old version that's been heavily modified, .nif component only

UNP Body by dimon99 - Girl face and body textures based loosely on the official UNP ones

SG Female Textures Renewal by hellosanta - Girl face textures based on these, as well as tint masks

numenume femalebrows MARO by itamukun - Some of the eyebrow textures use a modified version of these

Mens Underwear replacer by Imperator3 - Boy body underwear based on these

XPMSE by Groovtama - Included skeletons are based on this

Drow Race by Zazemel - Drow Child race is based on, and as such draws heavily from this

CotS R2 Race(no link) by Jiitek - CotS module is obviously based on this, and gets all of its assets from here(if he borrowed them from somewhere without listing it, it doesn't say on the tin...)

Download links may be found in the installation instructions section, under the heading 'Downloading the files:'

I noticed that the Studded Armor for the Male does not seem to work, just turns me invisible.

I see what you're talking about, I'll get it fixed.

The Argonian's head in that screenshot is way out of proportion, is that going to be changed because as it stand it just looks a little silly with an adult head placed on a child's body.

I'll take care of it.

edit: I put out a fix for both issues; look at the installation instructions section for the main mod, it says which file to download.

I also noticed some kind of seam along the wrist of the hand of my character, when I'm in first person mode using my bow it looks like a black line.

I need to know which armor, gender, and race that the issue shows up on. Let me know and I'll get it taken care of.

Imperial Child, Male, and I think it's on any armor with no bracers. I wear bracers though so I don't really see it anymore.

I also noticed when using the Crossbow there is a line along the length of the arm towards the hand, and the bottom part of it is darker then the top. Although this may be because I have shadows set to low.

Imperial Child, Male, and I think it's on any armor with no bracers. I wear bracers though so I don't really see it anymore.

Can confirm this. Might be as a result of using the alternate body and not having the 1stpersonmalehands.nif or .dds files matching up to the base package.

Can confirm this. Might be as a result of using the alternate body and not having the 1stpersonmalehands.nif or .dds files matching up to the base package.

That sounds like the culprit, a discontinuity in the UV map. I'll look into it and get it fixed.

High Elf has a neckseam as well, both male and female.

I'd use an enb to reduce it but I have a toaster.

I'll take a look at it, but could you post a screenshot of the issue for me?

Edit: Grumpf. Removed a question that should not be asked.

Greetings en_hawk! Thank you and your team for sharing your work! Here's a pic of my test character with your mod... I love it! post-83440-0-97278800-1383192352_thumb.png I'm seeing what appears to be a seam where the hand ends and the arm begins... kindly check the attached image and let me know if there is something you can do to correct this. Nord Child

post-83440-0-92665400-1383192725_thumb.png

BTW the armor patcher is working as intended... Cheers!

I'll definitely give this a look once the vanilla children are done, and thanks for the info on ECE that was very informative. 

Seconded. This mod sounds awesome, and the screenshots look great, but I don't really have an interest in playing as a kid. Keep up the great work so I can finally tell the difference between my daughter and all the street urchins running around outside my house!

Greetings en_hawk! Thank you and your team for sharing your work! Here's a pic of my test character with your mod... I love it! attachicon.gifTESV 2013-10-30 21-23-23-44.png I'm seeing what appears to be a seam where the hand ends and the arm begins... kindly check the attached image and let me know if there is something you can do to correct this. Nord Child

attachicon.gifTESV 2013-10-29 01-21-14-28.png

BTW the armor patcher is working as intended... Cheers!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the model, I've heard that blenders floating point precision isn't perfect and this is the result. I can take another look at it to make sure, but I'm not sure that there's too much I can do about it unless someone with 3ds max wants to fix it for me. I also noticed from your characters fingernail texture that I forgot to put in the updated hand texture, oops. It did however make it into the girl body asset pack, so you can grab it out of there if you want.

Regarding the high elf neck seam, I took a look at it and there doesn't appear to be a texture seam. It appears that the neck is having the same issue that the hands are, and I'm fairly confident the first person male wrist seam people were mentioning on the armor is the same thing.

Here's a no enb screenshot of the neck area on the high elf, just to demonstrate.

post-104716-0-74313600-1383265013_thumb.jpg

And here's the mesh gap issue, although its not very prevalent.

post-104716-0-53902900-1383265019_thumb.jpg

This poses a rather interesting question of how the hell to fix this without having to redo a lot of work... Personally I've just not noticed the issue with my enb on...

real quick question will this work with the bow animation and the duel sword animation? For instance are the weapons going to suddenly grow once you take them off your back?

new animation running with bow

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16975/?

DspSob - Duel sheath plus shields on back

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17746/?

Pretty combat idols

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15703/?

Animations should work just fine, the scaling however depends on how the weapon nodes are setup in the skeleton. I can't remember off the top of my head how they are scaled, but if you don't like it I can always change it and add something else as an option.

real quick question will this work with the bow animation and the duel sword animation? For instance are the weapons going to suddenly grow once you take them off your back?

new animation running with bow

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16975/?

DspSob - Duel sheath plus shields on back

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17746/?

Pretty combat idols

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15703/?

I know Duel sheath and shields work you just have to update the skeleton with the xpms skeleton to match it.

This poses a rather interesting question of how the hell to fix this without having to redo a lot of work... Personally I've just not noticed the issue with my enb on...

En_hawk, I'm not sure if this will be helpful at all, but (as you probably know) I had the same problem with Fallout meshes using the upperbody slot. However the fix turned out to be easy, this is what I did:

1. Assemble a full-body mesh in NifSkope including all the body parts, using a single, full skeleton as a base.

2. Import this body into Blender, delete the skeleton.

3. Import the armour. Delete weights and re-weigh. Import the skeleton you used as a base at the end.

4. Export the .nif with the skeleton. Delete the body parts you don't need in NifSkope (head, hands, etc.)

5. Import into CK, check for gaps - there shouldn't be any.

Hope this helps.