Shoes. The title struggle is real.

Frankfranky

You can have the textures if you like. But there is quite a bit involved there. When I work out how to put it all in a bsLightingShader ... I think I know how .. I think ... I will make you a working nif with just one star, so you can copy the shader to whatever you want.

Haha! Well, I wasn't planning on making anything with them right away - my comment was more "OOOH SHINY OBJECT!" - so no worries, no hurry.

Been trying to sort out my Outfit Studio mess all week... finally ended up sending a message directly to Ousnius who helped me figure out what was going on.

For a guy, who's work is used by so many people, some .... hm .... let's go with some... of whom would fail at join-the-dots, he does seem a very agreeable and helpful guy. I think I would be so deep in the salt that all words longer than 4 letters would have been removed from my vocabulary.

On 31/03/2018 at 11:16 AM, Frankfranky said:

well, today wasn't a complete waste of time, for a change. I like this one. Needs a bit of a tidy up, and I can start on the high-poly. This one is going to be purdy  :cool:

osaka7.jpg

OMG ...

Spoiler

images.duckduckgo_com.gif.e9a2f2748964ee4fad35eef7228f363b.gif

5 hours ago, Frankfranky said:

For a guy, who's work is used by so many people, some .... hm .... let's go with some... of whom would fail at join-the-dots, he does seem a very agreeable and helpful guy. I think I would be so deep in the salt that all words longer than 4 letters would have been removed from my vocabulary.

I'm going to say I missed the joke. Your work is... beyond excellent. Now that you've discovered the power of Substance, well... we're all destined to be awed. I barely scratched the surface of Substance tools and felt like I'd discovered God with the capital G.

4 hours ago, SkyAddiction said:

I'm going to say I missed the joke

I was saying Ousinus is a very tollerant and patient guy. I am a bit more highly strung.

In other news, the struggle is real. 2k I like the straps, but the sole looks like ass. 4k, I like the sole, but the straps look like ass. It will work out. I just need to be a bit less brutal with the .... stuff.  (4k has better lens flare too :smile: shut up. I just worked out how to do the lens flare thing. Have to have sparkly stars. cause sparkly.)

osaka8.jpg

So it is all a learning curve. No one is going to ever zoom into the shoes at that range. No one has a camera that will produce that kind of resolution even if they could, and no one has 2018 shaders in skyrim. The fact that the problem exists is the problem. Because it shouldn't. But I know what I did wrong now, and, fortunately, I can keep most of what I have done, fix the underlying issue, and keep on truckin.

So now the straps have the woven fabric texture on the inside (which no one is EVER going to see outside nifskope), but that texture isn't also on the outside which was supposed to have a smooth satin finish and not a billion little bumps to stuff up the specular and reflection maps and create the crud effect in the 4k textures (which I am not going to release anyway), and the little sitches have their nice defined little weave pattern in them that can have dirt and wear that .... well yea, no one is going to ever see that except me either.

Just look at that beautifully baked, controlled wear on the edges and the ridges of the fabric backing! huh! The way the fabric texture continues into the little hole where the lace joins the strap! Just wait till it has colour! omg. You aren't going to be able to use these shoes. They are going to make the rest of the game look like shit!

So WIN! :smile:

Osaka9.jpg

55 minutes ago, Frankfranky said:

So it is all a learning curve. No one is going to ever zoom into the shoes at that range. No one has a camera that will produce that kind of resolution even if they could, and no one has 2018 shaders in skyrim. The fact that the problem exists is the problem. Because it shouldn't. But I know what I did wrong now, and, fortunately, I can keep most of what I have done, fix the underlying issue, and keep on truckin.

So now the straps have the woven fabric texture on the inside (which no one is EVER going to see outside nifskope), but that texture isn't also on the outside which was supposed to have a smooth satin finish and not a billion little bumps to stuff up the specular and reflection maps and create the crud effect in the 4k textures (which I am not going to release anyway), and the little sitches have their nice defined little weave pattern in them that can have dirt and wear that .... well yea, no one is going to ever see that except me either.

Just look at that beautifully baked, controlled wear on the edges and the ridges of the fabric backing! huh! The way the fabric texture continues into the little hole where the lace joins the strap! Just wait till it has colour! omg. You aren't going to be able to use these shoes. They are going to make the rest of the game look like shit!

So WIN! :smile:

Osaka9.jpg

I sometimes play World of Tanks and that reminds me of the time I downloaded a really high-quality replacement skin for one of my tanks. I had to uninstall it, because it made the rest of the game look like a cartoon.

On 4.04.2018 at 8:10 AM, SmedleyDButler said:

I sometimes play World of Tanks and that reminds me of the time I downloaded a really high-quality replacement skin for one of my tanks. I had to uninstall it, because it made the rest of the game look like a cartoon.

should have just downloaded really high-quality replacement skins for the rest of the game

On 2018. 03. 30. at 1:22 AM, Frankfranky said:

So, staying with Mr Blahnik another time, next on the list is the Osaka.

Problem is how is it supposed to be worn? If you look the pic, the top left is straight from the Blahnik website, and suggests that it should wrap to the sides, cross at the back and tie at the front, kindal like top right.  But, in the only pic I could find that actually had a foot in it, bottom left, they have crossed it at the front and tied it at the back..... soo..... did the model get it wrong? She has kinda ugly feet..... not saying that makes her stupid, but ... ... hm. Or, is that the only way, realistically that the shoe can be worn, that will enable you to get from the bedroom to the front door? Is the top pic just the way the guy taking the shots figured they were supposed to go?

I have to pick one or the other. Calls from the floor?

osaka5.jpg

top is the right

• 2 weeks later...

No, he hasn't released them. I warned him about the rabbit hole of Substance tools, but apparently that didn't take. We'll probably see him again when he figures out which way is up, and he'll probably bring some shoe-ception work of genius with him.

For now, just be patient as it hasn't been that long since the bubbles stopped coming to the surface of Substance Pond.

On 16/04/2018 at 4:17 AM, Vortec said:

We're these ever released?. Wonder what Franki is up too.

I broke them. Somewhere, I have an unresolved translation that made friends with the skin ... I put them in game and they ended up upside down and squashed and I got the shits with them. So I am making some rogueish style boots with flaps and buckles and spats and winingas and stuff.

I will go back to those !(@*#@!(*& sandals eventually. They are like a really pretty girl in a bar. You know you should just turn around and walk away. You know it will end in tears. You go and buy her a drink anyway.

14 minutes ago, SmedleyDButler said:

You don't have any backup versions from before they got buggered up? Ruh roh.

Do I have backups?. You should see my mod SSD. Every shoe has ~50 versions of the mesh in different stages. Every shoe has 4-5 2gb photoshop files, and now, 3-4 1.5 gb substance files as well. Oh I have backups. My backups have backups. I am just temperamental, and when the shoes refused to do that "thing" that I like  ...  ... mods imitate life, imitate mods.

(sad gif fail. I guess I will have to respond with something more than lol). I need to go back in the versions to the point just after I UV mapped it. Zero out the transformations there, then start a new scene, import new feet and a skeleton, then import just the shoes, then reshape the feet to fit (this is the part I don't want to do), then skin and export that. Then it should work..... one day.

atm I have a new distraction. Rivets. Cause steam punk. And steam punk says that if it is metal, it should be embossed with something suitably emo. And I have a lot of rivets, and buckles and ties and stuff. That is a whole lot of emo embossment. I am a little concerned that the spats may start cutting themselves tbh.

10 hours ago, Frankfranky said:

I broke them. Somewhere, I have an unresolved translation that made friends with the skin ... I put them in game and they ended up upside down and squashed and I got the shits with them. So I am making some rogueish style boots with flaps and buckles and spats and winingas and stuff.

I will go back to those !(@*#@!(*& sandals eventually. They are like a really pretty girl in a bar. You know you should just turn around and walk away. You know it will end in tears. You go and buy her a drink anyway.

Weight painting Issue?.

Probably helps to take a break from it I guess.

Oh and I have heard stories about people disappearing into Substance painter.

Archived