New to modding... learning by doing and a special theme

xwhiteninjax

Maybe it is the same for you, too... you are playing skyrim since years, finding new mods everytime, trying this, that... and sometimes you are thinking... if mod1 and mod2 are "mergede" together, it would be better... not merging in the real sense, but adding to the basic idea, enhancing them...

Now I made the first step... boring with the very good mod "live another life" (the background for choosing a special start is always just a 1-line explication... nothing more)... I tried a new start... with the help of some mods from this site (some Devious, some PAHE mods) I tried to "live" through the session to become a vampire-succubus... after creating the char I stopped the choosing... "invented" some known biting npc/followers to play with me... overloaded with pain, torture and love I became a succubus... since the torture did not stop I was near dying... luck was on my side, though... a bloodtransfer took place during some training-sessions, so instead dying I became a vampire, too... after this I could with a good reason choose the button... start as a vampire in a hidden lair.... the oneliner made much more sense... for prooving it, I created a short mod without any dependencies... adding only a special book now.. but planning to enhance the story with some quest to let you know, how the live of a vampire-succubus-queen is going on...

So feel free to correct the mistakes inside the mod (english is not my native language so I am glad if a better writing style could be done)... some basic scripting-framework should be done in the future, too... how adding items/spells during a storyline... maybe viewing other special books, too... waiting for suggestions and help if you like the idea, too

but for all... have fun in playing and modding

VampireSuccubusBackground.7z

This is a very first example of the planned mod... it has some mistakes inside, corrected within the new mod... preparing to build up a special mod-page

ScreenShot2025.png

ScreenShot2069.png

ScreenShot2077.png

ScreenShot2111.png

ScreenShot2118.png

ScreenShot2120.png

ScreenShot2128.png

ScreenShot2136.png

ScreenShot2139.png

ScreenShot2142.png

since the planned script is not working, yet (thats the reason to create some basic formulars/scripts to do it in the right way)... you have to use console to get the book... type help "background" and you will find it... player.additem idofthebook 1   will give it to you ... or use additemmenu and open the mod to do it

scriptproblem inside the modexample... the intended behaviour is to add a book into the inventory of the player...

after some trials (not working, though) the script should be ( a guess, since I have no scripting experience, yet) like this

ScriptName vsbbook extends Actor conditional

Actor Property Player Auto
Book Property vsbbookItem Auto

int YES = 1
int NO = 0

Function InitBooks()

if (Player.GetItemCount(vsbbookItem) < 1)
            Player.addItem(vsbbookItem)
        endif

EndFunction

but the script is not triggered at loadtime of the game.... if someone knows how to made it a working script for the mentioned purpose feel free to post the solution, here

I highly recomend adding a prefix  to EVERYTHING you do for your mod in CK.
For example, in my mod Lich Evilynn I use "EL_"
This lets me type "EL_" in the filter box all over CK.

Create a quest, click OK, open the quest back up and add a new script like the one below.

Make sure you select for the quest to start on game load and to only run once.

Scriptname PREFIX_AddBook extends Quest

Event OnInit()
	InitBooks()
EndEvent

; add the rest of your code.

thanks for responding and trying to help... it is my first trial to do scripting... I have only experiences to change existing mods inside CK (without changing the scripts, though)... I am used to have my own prefix, starting with numbers... but I ran into the python-related-problem with starting codelines and numbers very fast... so your reminder to use a prefix is a good one, but I have to change my convention from numbers to letter-prefixes...

the OnInit() Event was the one I am thinking of... I had a quest created (but I guess not in the right way) and the compiling of my first trials gave me an output I had not the understanding for (but I am reading some tutorials now to learn them), so I stopped the trials to fix the script for myself... will try out your structure to see, if I am making progress...

some trials later... the following code looks correct (it is compiling without any errors) and it includes all intentions (so far I know)

ScriptName vsbbook extends Quest
{This script should add the book to the inventory of the player}

Book Property vsbbookItem Auto
Actor Property PlayerREF Auto

int Yes = 1
int NO = 0

Event OnPlayerLoadGame()

InitBooks()
EndEvent

Function InitBooks()
    if (PlayerREF.GetItemCount(vsbbookItem) < 1)
        PlayerREF.addItem(vsbbookItem)
    endif
EndFunction

but nothing is going into the game (yet)... my guess is, that the questsettings are wrong...  not stages set... tried to give it an alias "PlayerREF" and add the script to the quest (maybe on the wrong places, since there are many options to add it...

P.S.: Look at the postings later on... the Event is wrong... with Event OnInit() the script will work as shown here

did some testings... wanted to know if the quest is triggered at all... so I changed the inventory of the player inside the quest... put the book inside... after loading the game the book was there... so the quest was triggered, but the script had some mistakes... so I changed the Event back to "OnInit()".... deleted the inventorychange of the quest... loaded the game... and... surprise... the script worked... a message was shown that the book was loaded into the inventory... all is good on the scripting front... thanks to @Evilynn for giving the correct Event-code...

1 hour ago, xwhiteninjax said:

did some testings... wanted to know if the quest is triggered at all... so I changed the inventory of the player inside the quest... put the book inside... after loading the game the book was there... so the quest was triggered, but the script had some mistakes... so I changed the Event back to "OnInit()".... deleted the inventorychange of the quest... loaded the game... and... surprise... the script worked... a message was shown that the book was loaded into the inventory... all is good on the scripting front... thanks to @Evilynn for giving the correct Event-code...

OnInit event only happens when the quest starts (though it will happen twice unless you check "run once")

The OnPlayerLoadGame event is very useful, but has very specific requirements. It's for running something every time the player loads his game, and it only happens to the player, so attaching it to a quest script will never work.

More information: OnPlayerLoadGame

ok... since this will be a thread to learn modding skyrim by jumping head on without prior knowledge I am ready to start a new mod, too... the mod will be the example to show the learning steps and hopefully will be added with a nice quest to use all the gained abilities of a (vampire-)succubus-queen

looking for the first setups (side and download of the mod)

the work in process can be followed at the new modpage   https://www.loverslab.com/topic/95499-vampire-succubus-playstyle/

Archived