Cellan Race - Otters

View File

This mod implements the Cellan race

You can play as an otter, either sex. If you load the optional NPC file, you'll find some otters have taken over one of the boats in Solitude. Eventually you'll be able to get some of them to follow you.

SE version here

Latest Updates

Improved mechanisms for digitigrade feet, schlongs, and stripping when swimming. The schlong scripts especially may not upgrade cleanly, so better to start a new game.

Installation

• Install RaceCompatibility for Skyrim and Dawnguard
  • Install the base CellanRace package. This will give you plantigrade otters. 
  • If you don't want the NPCs, DISABLE the CellanNPC esp. With it enabled, there will be otters on the docks in Solitude. Some will come adventuring with you.
  • Schlongs are in a separate download. Without it, otters will strip to loincloths.
    • Enable the CellanHoodieSchlong package
    • Females have special pussies assigned via SOS like schlongs. You can disable them through SOS if you wish. There's no special support for the CBBE body or bodyslide.
  • If you want digitigrade feet, download and install the digi package. Boots stay in plantigrade, but bare feet will be digi.

Credit

Character design by @GDelscribe

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    12/24/2017
  • Category
  • Requires
  • Special Edition Compatible
    No

Merry Christmas, everybody!

I meant that you don't need to load the schlong and SOS if you don't want it. The otter schlong works for otters only, and the other schlongs don't work on otters. I don't know why the otter schlong isn't showing up--I'll check when I have a minute. (When you guys say it doesn't work, do you mean that when you enable the esp you see underwear or a hole?)

Can confirm everything is working now. The loincloth shows up when naked without a schlong, and the schlong shows up just fine when enabled.

Random thoughts and comments:

• The custom brown eyes included don't show up for me in RaceMenu for some reason, but looking at the plugin itself everything seems to be set up the right way. I'll check it out again just in case I simply missed it or something like that, but if I can reproduce it again it may be worth looking into.
  • Some other errors in the plugin, like for example the head and mouth records using the Khajiit races FormList instead of the race one, or the face textures in the race data being the Khajiit ones (so touching the Complexion slider at all in RM locks you into the Khajiit textures and you have to start a new game to fix it). But since this is just a test/alpha release, I wouldn't focus on those until all the other assets are finished and the v1.0 release is closer.
  • Don't really see the point of the "ActorProxyCellan" keyword; those keywords are only meant to refer to vanilla races so that RaceCompatibility knows which race to use whenever needed (for example, the Dark Brotherhood questline requires at some point a vanilla race proxy to select a proper race-specific dialog or else the quest gets stuck with no way to fix it). You should add ActorProxyKhajiit instead, for compatibility reasons.
  • Race description and/or lore seems a bit... wonky. Again, I understand this is just an alpha, but perhaps it would be a good idea to ask @GDelscribe about lore for the race so it can be layed out for the 1.0 release? I mean, they did come up with the idea for the race and the original assets, after all...
  • I see the current race is simply a Khajiit duplicate, but for when it gets to editing the details like height and voice, I'd definitely make them taller (at least over 1.0 for both genders) and give them different voices; I'll admit the latter is in part due to me hating the vanilla Khajiit voices, though, so YMMV.
  • Looking at the body diffuse, I see it includes feet textures for the SOS (human) feet plus some claws, so I take it the plantigrade humanoid feet option will indeed use SOS meshes you created some time ago? I'm asking because I thought about using them for the shark race and maybe even the Lungaris, but since they currently use FemFeet Redesigned meshes, I would have to create new textures for the SOS feet if I wanted to use your clawed meshes.

Ill give the update a try.

As to voices/lore/etc, I'd gladly love to supply that stuff for the most part.

It doesn't seem *Too* off. Technically. But I'll gladly supply a lore blurb for you+stat tables.

-Edit-

Works and looks great so Im pretty happy!

2 hours ago, GDelscribe said:

Ill give the update a try.

As to voices/lore/etc, I'd gladly love to supply that stuff for the most part.

It doesn't seem *Too* off. Technically. But I'll gladly supply a lore blurb for you+stat tables.

Oh, okay. I didn't really look at it that much, but I think there was only a mention of the Cellans "living most of their lives in ships" or something like that, and that was it. I assumed it was either a placeholder or some early WIP of the actual description. Perhaps the fact that I use Imperious and spices up the descriptions a bit with more info on the races/cultures made it look empty in comparison.

But yeah, outside of actual "broad" lore of the race (which is nice to have but doesn't really have a real effect ingame) what would be needed would be the stat bonuses, (possible) racial powers/abilities, heights, and voices. Do note that in the case of voices only a handful of them have the required voices and files for player dialogue. IIRC, humans use Female/MaleEvenToned, elves use Female/MaleElfHaughty, and Orcs, Khajiit and Argonians use their own race-wide voices, in case you want to check out the vanilla races' player dialogue and see which one you think fits best. That is for the player only, though; NPCs can have their voice set up separate from the race default.

I got the race description derived from the OP + 1 or 2, but that's not my department. I'm happy to slot in whatever GDelscribe wants. The OP said something about how they originally sailed ships but when they arrived on Tamriel they all colonized an underground cavern. Which may work for a mod, but it seems sad to confine otters to underground. Maybe there could be a group sent out to Solitude to gather supplies or info, and that could be an entry point to the quest that sends you off to find the rest of them.

She looks ready to beat the shit out of everyone. Which Im definitely fine with lmao.

For voices, I guess either Human, or Orc would be best.

So, here is the stats I was aiming for: Smithing +10, Block +5, Speech +5, Enchanting +5, Light Armor +5, Alchemy +5

Minor Power:

Natural Immunity
Disease and Poison resistance +%50

Major Power
Akernic Inspiration -
For the next 60 seconds Enchanting, Smithing and Alchemy are fortified by 40%. Only once per day. (If this aint possible I suppose something like battlecry or Adrenaline would be great too)

Ok so backstory, officially?  Its Scifi.txt Partly copypasta from before.

"The Cellan are typically a Nomadic species, they live their entire lives on ships from birth, til death. Many ages ago the Cellan had a vast empire and thousands of colonies, spreading across the stars. However after an internal affairs fiasco on the homeworld, the empire split in two. This lead to disagreement througout the entire Cellan nation, and it eventually led to war, both sides destroying each other completely. All that remained was a small collection of battered ships and several hundred Cellan.

While most became pirates, using their skills and intelligence to murder, pillage and plunder, some began a new culture. A nomadic way of life that continued to exist for over three hundred years.

The story in the mod follows one ship that crash landed on Tamriel two era's prior.

Forced to settle they began to build into the mountains of skyrim, creating vast tunnel networks. The main city was a thriving technological metropolis centered around a natural inground lake.

During the middle dawn, a Cellan science vessel fleeing during the edge of the end of the imperial civil war, suffered a malfunction and their engine gave out causing them to lose  control and they crashed into mundus into a cave system in The Pale. Unable to contact home, or in any way repair their ship, they cannibalized it and transformed it into raw materials, as well as beginning to work hard on creating a place inside the caves and underground where they could survive in the frigid unforgiving north.

As a people before crashing into skyrim they were a nomadic folk moving from place to place constantly but  being forced to settle down changed the way they acted and interacted with each other. A disease native to their species that was on the ship already came in full force after being dormant for a while, having infected other creatures and evolved again to the point where it could kill them again, and wiped out all the adults leaving only books, history and what had been built behind for the children who now had to grow up not knowing anything of their own heritage outside of what was left behind in the wake of the plague.

Infighting happened and they split up and spread across Skyrim fighting for resources, mates and personal gain. Their religion centers around a figure known as Akern who was originally just a humble blacksmith who happened to be a bit crazy and who's responsible for kickstarting their species freedom from enslavement on their own world. 

They don't know where they came from, theres no information left to them currently so long after the middle dawn for them to even know they weren't from Skyrim initially to begin with and they dont have much anything left of their own culture except a push to create new things and advance in either physical prowess or create new things."

So uh.

I had originally planned to (and still plan to finish) the aforementioned cave/lake worldspace as a quest hub for folks to have fun with after the race is implemented along with other things to keep you interested (and give you folks to fuck ;p)

Lore I guess:

For as long as anyone can remember, the Cellan lived in the Pale, hungry for a fight or for food, they stayed tightly knit building a civilization in the caves they'd cultivated. All was good for them for years, until near the end of the middle dawn, resources ran thin and Cellan were forced to leave the safety of their home in search of resources and spread out again across skyrim in search of new homes and new power. Some came back and keep the subterranean civilization going, but to honour the spirit of the ancestors their people's songs sung of, most others have left to live in other corners of skyrim as merchant blacksmiths, bandits and mercenaries; or as vagrant drifters moving in nomadic caravans across the holds of skyrim, looking to spread their stories and their footing in lands far beyond home.

If anyone has a better idea for how to represent the lore ingame Im more than happy to take suggestions.

So TL:DR; they used to be nomads, until they were forced to live in a cave, but then culture decay happened and they ran out of resources so some Cellan went out to get resources. "Most came back and keep the subterranean civilization going, but most others have left to live in other corners of skyrim as merchant blacksmiths, or bandits and mercenaries."

If we need anything else please let me know.

I love how everything looks and, this seems pretty great to me A+ man.

4 hours ago, GDelscribe said:

She looks ready to beat the shit out of everyone. Which Im definitely fine with lmao.

Agreed. Though that expression is better left for the actual "Anger" or "CombatAnger" morphs; the default face shape should have a more neutral expression or else you get an entire race of perma-pissed-off otters, lol. I mean, the cheetahs in YA have a perma-smug face already (at least females), but in their case it kinda fits since they are Altmer; but what would make Cellan be so angry? :classic_huh:

For voices, I guess either Human, or Orc would be best.

So, here is the stats I was aiming for: Smithing +10, Block +5, Speech +5, Enchanting +5, Light Armor +5, Alchemy +5

Minor Power:

Natural Immunity
Disease and Poison resistance +%50

All of this is feasible and easy. As for voices, I guess Orc is better if you want to go for buff/warlike and human if you want to go for more generic.

Major Power
Akernic Inspiration -
For the next 60 seconds Enchanting, Smithing and Alchemy are fortified by 40%. Only once per day. (If this aint possible I suppose something like battlecry or Adrenaline would be great too)

AFAIK this should be possible too. Perhaps it would be better to buff the actual actions rather than the skills themselves, i.e. instead of increasing Enchanting by X points for a minute, you would add the "Created enchantments are X% stronger" effect for that duration. Same with tempering effectiveness and potion/poison strength, respectively. That's pretty much what the skill-specific buffing potions do in the vanilla game, so it should be easy to implement it as a power.

Ok so backstory, officially?  Its Scifi.txt Partly copypasta from before.

[...Snip...]

Oh, so by "ships" you meant "spaceships", huh? Interesting. Not a idea at all, I kinda like it.

But...

[Lore nut mode]

...it completely breaks existing Elder Scrolls lore.

For starters, space doesn't actually exist in ES. The stars are holes to Aetherious left by a bunch of spirits or something when escaping from Mundus, the "Planets" are actually the planes of Oblivion if Daedra or the Divines themselves if Aedra and the region between them and Nirn is basically Void (Also the "moons" Masser and Secunda are supposed to be the two halves of Lorkhan's dead body and some other crazy stuff).

So that would basically mean Cellan come from some kind of plane of Oblivion or the body of a Divine; not only that, but they spanned several of them. Also there isn't actual mention of "space travel" outside of some references to a dragon being able/trying to get to the Battlespire (basically the ES equivalent of a space station) by flying there after the Daedra seal the portals to Nirn and some stuff about human "Mananauts" and Altmer as well (but IIRC that is part of Kirkbride's deeper lore and/or C0da, so I don't really know much about it).

Last, but not least, since the Dwemer spread all over under Skyrim and so their tunnels/cities/fortresses, wouldn't that mean Cellan would eventually stumble upon Dwemer ruins? If they didn't stumble upon the Dwemer themselves, since your bit about the Dawn era would place them IIRC roughly on the same time period. Unless they just happen upon the single big natural cavity that has not been taken over by the Dwemer in all of Skyrim, that is.

[/lore nut mode]

Then again, I can't even remember if what I said here is true or I'm mixing up or making up stuff, so maybe I should visit /r/teslore and do some research.

Anyway, that was just me being very picky. There is no actual need to adhere to the deepest and most obscure lore, so what you have so far is good. Only thing I would change is mention that Cellan come from a different and as of yet unknown plane of existence; that should handwave most of the conflicting ES lore without needing drastic changes to the current race lore.

Though that expression is better left for the actual "Anger" or "CombatAnger" morphs; the default face shape should have a more neutral expression or else you get an entire race of perma-pissed-off otters, lol. I mean, the cheetahs in YA have a perma-smug face already (at least females), but in their case it kinda fits since they are Altmer; but what would make Cellan be so angry?

Dude. That whole race backgrounder is the answer to your question.

My thoughts on backstory. Take these how you will; if any of the ideas resonate steal them and leave the rest.

I also have a bit of trouble introducing too much sci fi into Tamriel, which has a much more fantasy/natural magic feel. The big exception is the dwemer, and they get away with it by being very steampunk. There's also the Moonpath to Elswyr airship, which works pretty well. But when you get into spaceships and such it's a bit jarring. 

Also too, it's difficult to communicate complicated lore in-game in a way that feels natural, especially since your guys have lost most of their past. Your ordinary Cellan you might meet on the roads isn't going to know all that history. They might have a cultural sense of superiority. They might be hiding the underground Cellan city and need persuasion or special circumstances to reveal it. (Quest opportunities there, which would lead you to find the city.) They might well be very paranoid about being enslaved or wiped out, so the existence and location of the city would be major secrets to be hidden carefully. 

You can communicate some backstory through books, of couse, including hidden libraries that have more of the lost history. But realistically, most players don't spend a lot of time reading books. And if you don't worry about communicating it too much, you don't need to spell out all the problematic parts--they came from elsewhere through mechanisms they've lost except in the occasional strange artifact even they can't understand. Some few search to recover that past, but most are more worried about surviving in the present.

As for the Cellans themselves, since they're otters they should be otter-y. They should also be distinct from the other races. The High Elves have the snooty superior niche pretty much sewn up, so putting too much of that into the cellans might not be good. Maybe you could run with playfulness--we don't have a fun-loving race in Tamriel yet. Rootless, continually torn away from anything they built for themselves, they could have settled on a footloose, easygoing, trickster type of attitude towards life. 

And they should be water-loving. Because otters. I'd expect them to congregate near bodies of water, choose to live on rivers, etc. etc. I'd expect a water buff or two--fast swimming, ability to stay under for long periods (tho not actually water-breathing). The underground city could be partially underwater, with rooms you can only access by diving because if you're an otter that seems perfectly natural. (Set up the distances so that if you're not a Cellan or Argonian you can only get there with a waterbreathing enchantment.)

Anyway. Just thoughts. 

@Bad Dog

Yeah communicated lore like that is super difficult to get across, its part of why Im trying to simplify it quite a bit.

They're a little hard to boil down to a specific thing outside of being really obsessive about personal betterment, but youre not actually that wrong with the footloose comment.

So rather than going with their "modern" depiction, how about I just transplant their original history as lore?

Before any of the sci fi stuff, (although they do come from a greater sci-fi/fantasy melting pot universe) the cellan were just river dwelling nomads. They lived on huge plains, sticking close to the water, tending to live close to cave systems in the far north living in small tribes. They were nomads because they feared their old gods, believing they would be subjugated or eaten which often happened, as they had to contend with another powerful magical race known as the Remikiad for years who would often spirit them away to keep as slaves, (or something else) as the Remikiad were far more advanced while the Cellan were still growing.

They did have knowlege of basic machinery/science and optics; and theyre generally really good at crafting shit so. No big issue there.

As to your suggestions theyre really laid back and easy going when theyre not in a competitive mood or mindset, and I'm actually totally fine with the mixed underwater/above water ideas. It was originally around an underground lake that the mod was centered so.

@Blaze69

Thanks for reminding me of the potion effects thing that would be way better. And Yeah I agree on the rest for the most part.

Lore Bullshit Time:

Elderscrolls + Space has been a huge debate in the community for years and its a huge part of the Lyg discussion as well (among other Adjacent Places) (...and Baar Dau) and its something I dont think this topic is really made to discuss. So lore breaking is debatable but I will concede in general that I've been trying to some way move away from using the original sci-fi aspects of the race to help avoid alienating most of the expanded elder scrolls community. In any case, what's left of the inhabitants have no idea of their origins and for all intents and purposes are naturalized to Tamriel.

The race that they came from was heavy into experimenting with temporal mechanics, so you could say that an external time hiccup synchronized with the "Middle Dawn" Dragon Break taking place in Tamriel (IIRC it took place between 2E and 3E). It's less that the Cellan came from the space outside of Tamriel itself, and more that they're beings like the Daedra that come from outside. Just, not from Oblivion.

The Middle Dawn comment was partially a joke by the by. (I'm not talking about the Merethic Era;) the Middle Dawn was a Dragon Break caused by a faction of the Alessian Order breaking apart the Numidium. It officially lasted around 1008 years but in-universe even that's up for debate. The Dwemer wouldn't be a factor since by the time the Middle Dawn occurred they were all *very* dead.

Basically what I'm getting at here is that despite the race having sci-fi origins, they can still fit neatly into the worldspace.

The point:

I think the main issue is I was actually mainly providing a bio of the cellan as a whole rather than just the specific to the race mod stuff. That's my bad.

Its my intention to basically find some way to  simply communicate the following things -

1: They were living together as a large group with their own history and culture.

2: A plague wiped out 90% of the race leaving behind children and teens to carry on the culture as best they could. (Spoilers, they couldn't.)

3: Since they don't have their own history outside of books and ruins of homes, and tools; theyre a little lost. They tend towards playful/free-spirited lives because they have no obligations to anyone but themselves so they come off as hedonists.

4: They don't really do sea-water, they stick to fresh water, and do a lot of survival hunting and fishing.

Anyway if I forgot something of missed something please let me know. I'm totally fine with keeping the lore involving ships but. Perhaps tying in more of their culture as a nomadic people with only a few who stay behind and build up the main "city."

2 minutes ago, GDelscribe said:

. . .

2: A plague wiped out 90% of the race leaving behind children and teens to carry on the culture as best they could. (Spoilers, they couldn't.)

. . .

Funny enough, this alone could give them a lore-friendly story to the Elder Scrolls.

In the Second Era there was a plague in Black Marsh caused by the Knahaten Flu, which directly impacted anything that wasn't reptilian in nature (so non-Argonians). This led many to evacuate or die off (such as the Kothringi race), with the Flu also being a potential cause for the Lilmothiit's disappearance.

8 minutes ago, Shade115 said:

Funny enough, this alone could give them a lore-friendly story to the Elder Scrolls.

In the Second Era there was a plague in Black Marsh caused by the Knahaten Flu, which directly impacted anything that wasn't reptilian in nature (so non-Argonians). This led many to evacuate or die off (such as the Kothringi race), with the Flu also being a potential cause for the Lilmothiit's disappearance.

Youre right actually I totally forgot about the flu lmao.

Progress on the ladies. Photoshoot attached. Comments welcome, but I think this is just about there. I might want to play with the specular on the head, which seems not to be showing up. Other than that (and fixing the tris for the new ear shape), I think it's just about there.

Female Brown.jpg

Ottor 3-quarters.jpg

Female Feet.jpg

That Sweet Back View.jpg

Color Black.jpg

6 minutes ago, Bad Dog said:

It's there :smile: but not really different from any other UUNP pussy. At night all cats are gray and suchlike.

Ah I see. Any way we can make the shape different without breaking things? 

Fortunecookies.png

Spoiler

cb675ac32c937d4d3760cb81480ec50a.png05f30545b6e4edc73fc56108e7cdda9a.png

spadepusscellan.png