Sims 3 & AMD Ryzen 1600 ? No problems ?

Hi y'all,

I ready for a new PC.

I'm hearing horror stories about certain processors unwilling to run Sims 3. 
(Was it Intel ?)
Sims 3 is by far my fav game and i don't need the hassle with all these cracks and hacks.
Before i spend like €1500 on a new PC, here are the main questions:

Is someone running Sims 3 on the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 processor ?
Are you a happy simmer ?

Very much appreciated.

I don't see any issues with the game on any modern processor. I don't have a Ryzen but know people that do and play games (one is Sims however not sure which version) The one problem which you might experience is with the mulitcore processor (not really matters which intel or AmD) The fix is easy just adjust it to be using 1~2 cores. This happens to some people and not others, not sure why. This is the case with Fallout 3, NV, and Ol' rim as well for some. Just some tweaks to the processor usage and you can have what you want pretty easily. You might not (and pretty likely wont) have any problems with the newest Intel or AMD.

So, to summarize I don't see any reason you should have problems, however, you can, and some do, so you might need to be prepared to make some tweaks to the settings in relation to the processor core settings.

I know I an not the exact person that you are interested in hearing from but perhaps my info might help. If it is any consolation, nobody I know it RL that plays Sims (not sure which version) has any issue or at leat not big enough that they complain about it, using Ryzen processors or Intel for that matter.

Video using a Ryzen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYcCUQj_9nk

Looks like it works quite well.

16 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

I don't see any issues with the game on any modern processor. I don't have a Ryzen but know people that do and play games (one is Sims however not sure which version) The one problem which you might experience is with the mulitcore processor (not really matters which intel or AmD) The fix is easy just adjust it to be using 1~2 cores. This happens to some people and not others, not sure why. This is the case with Fallout 3, NV, and Ol' rim as well for some. Just some tweaks to the processor usage and you can have what you want pretty easily. You might not (and pretty likely wont) have any problems with the newest Intel or AMD.

So, to summarize I don't see any reason you should have problems, however, you can, and some do, so you might need to be prepared to make some tweaks to the settings in relation to the processor core settings.

I know I an not the exact person that you are interested in hearing from but perhaps my info might help. If it is any consolation, nobody I know it RL that plays Sims (not sure which version) has any issue or at leat not big enough that they complain about it, using Ryzen processors or Intel for that matter.

Video using a Ryzen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYcCUQj_9nk

Looks like it works quite well.

Thanks ! Very much appreciated.

I remember to have read something about Sims 3 and newer CPU's.
Tried to find that story back and all i found was someone having troubles with his/her MAC.

Alrighty, i will stop worrying over nothing.
Thanks a lot for the hints and tips !

1 hour ago, Jim Delaware said:

Thanks ! Very much appreciated.

I remember to have read something about Sims 3 and newer CPU's.
Tried to find that story back and all i found was someone having troubles with his/her MAC.

Alrighty, i will stop worrying over nothing.
Thanks a lot for the hints and tips !

Ah, you didn't say you had a Mac... If you are using a Mac, I do hear people having troubles with the game and ... the mods more specifically. They are developed mostly on Microsoft OS and such and sometimes have troubles with working on Mac. Also I am not sure about the configuration options or how having a different processor would give you any issues. (Yes Apple uses Intel however sometimes people run Mac OS on custom builds... ) Also it might just have been what I was mentioning above, some tweaks in the settings and you would be fine (related to multi core issues)

It is a risk but if you do good Google searches for your hardware you want to use and can't really find much in the way of serious issues, I would say it isn't going to be a problem.

2 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Ah, you didn't say you had a Mac... If you are using a Mac, I do hear people having troubles with the game and ... the mods more specifically. They are developed mostly on Microsoft OS and such and sometimes have troubles with working on Mac. Also I am not sure about the configuration options or how having a different processor would give you any issues. (Yes Apple uses Intel however sometimes people run Mac OS on custom builds... ) Also it might just have been what I was mentioning above, some tweaks in the settings and you would be fine (related to multi core issues)

It is a risk but if you do good Google searches for your hardware you want to use and can't really find much in the way of serious issues, I would say it isn't going to be a problem.

Nonono.. I don't have a Mac.
But the story i had read awhile back was about a Mac, very possibly. Just like the story i had found yesterday
They had to use hacks to get Sims 3 to run.

Sorry for the confusion, my friend.

Thanks for the help. I'm not a techie.
All info is helpful. I knew i had to ask here for answers.

And yes, i did some Google action yesterday.
I think i'm good. As long as i'm not using a Mac and a proper gaming videocard. 
Someone used an Intel HD somethingsomething card, and failed because it's not a gaming card.

I'm kinda starting to understand how puters work now even lol
Thanks !

Sims 3 (and 4) mods on a Mac do have problems. Most problems on Windows (regardless of the processor) that I have ran across here and elsewhere, were due to user error, out of date or conflicting mods. For the most part as I have seen, running the game is fine on almost anything that meets the minimum requirements for Sims 3.

Another question, where did you get your Sims 3? I have mine from Steam. Haven't done much with it, but so far runs great (no mods) 4th gen Intel though. It is a multi core processor and even hyper threaded and no problems. However, I don't have mods on it.

Finally, judging from the lack of response to this request and the serious AMD fans and Sims fans here on this site. (pretty big modding scene out side of Sims dedicated mod sites ;)) I would be pretty confident you are safe. Likely those users have seen the post stating you shouldn't have problems and moved on instead of chiming in. ;) AS the subject has been answered.

Best Wishes. If you do run into a problem... post back with specifics, hardware, version of Sim 3 mods etc but I believe you are correct. (forgot about the intel graphics, could be. Doubt is is an issue on a new Intel)

Added question,

Why a Ryzen? You can get an Intel for close to the same cost perhaps a few dollars more but not much more. You don't need lots of power and sounds like you aren't even trying to get something super powerful. Perhaps something to consider?

OH... almost forgot. You might need to set up the game using compatibility mode so that it works correctly. That is if you are using windoze 10 ;)

8 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Sims 3 (and 4) mods on a Mac do have problems. Most problems on Windows (regardless of the processor) that I have ran across here and elsewhere, were due to user error, out of date or conflicting mods. For the most part as I have seen, running the game is fine on almost anything that meets the minimum requirements for Sims 3.

Another question, where did you get your Sims 3? I have mine from Steam. Haven't done much with it, but so far runs great (no mods) 4th gen Intel though. It is a multi core processor and even hyper threaded and no problems. However, I don't have mods on it.

Finally, judging from the lack of response to this request and the serious AMD fans and Sims fans here on this site. (pretty big modding scene out side of Sims dedicated mod sites ;)) I would be pretty confident you are safe. Likely those users have seen the post stating you shouldn't have problems and moved on instead of chiming in. ;) AS the subject has been answered.

Best Wishes. If you do run into a problem... post back with specifics, hardware, version of Sim 3 mods etc but I believe you are correct. (forgot about the intel graphics, could be. Doubt is is an issue on a new Intel)

Added question,

Why a Ryzen? You can get an Intel for close to the same cost perhaps a few dollars more but not much more. You don't need lots of power and sounds like you aren't even trying to get something super powerful. Perhaps something to consider?

OH... almost forgot. You might need to set up the game using compatibility mode so that it works correctly. That is if you are using windoze 10 ;)

I've got my Sims 3 collection on Origin.
Still not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.
I think that the Launcher kind of sux, but that could be a mods problem maybe ? Idk
I would like to buy everything on hardcopy as well, 1 day.

Yeah i agree, not a lot of response here. Which i translate to ''no news is good news'', in this case. :))

My choice for the Ryzen ?
I've got a good friend who will build my PC for me.
And i told him about my, very probably misunderstood Sims 3 issues with new CPUs.
But since yesterday i believe he was talking about getting an Intel Core i-somethingsomething.
Lolol I don't even know. I know that he will come up with something after Christmas/New Year to discuss what it will be eventually.
It's better to hold off for this month, he said.
Prices are high around the Holidays. 

I just gave him a budget. Told him to buy a nice PC for around  €2000 max.
He said, i think i can build you a nice gaming pc for less.
He build my current PC as well. I'm very happy with this one, but it was meant for video editing mainly.
When i got it, i started playing games a lot more though lol

I want the Geforce GTX 1060 video card and just a bit more power than i have now.
That's what i told my friend, and he will take it from there.
He has build many PCs and i trust him. I know that he won't sell me overkill.

Myea, unfortunately i will go with Windows 10.
That's what my friend told me, usually Windows 10 causes more conflicts than anything computer related.
Well, if i got issues then i will ask him, Google it and my next resort could be to ask here again lolol

Thanks a lot, guy !
Very much appreciated.
Happy Christmas & New Year !

• 1 month later...

Sorry for necroing, just want to share my experience moving from a 7 year old dual core to a Ryzen 1400 stock w/8GB DDR4 2666 C15 on Win10 64bits.

Short story, works perfectly fine.

S3 loaded in 7 minutes instead of 12 and even when I experienced drops from 90fps to 24 when using the map, the whole game feels a lot more responsive. Now, here´s the kicker: I didn’t reinstall W10, just changed mobo/cpu/ram and restarted on the same hdd, I just installed the chipset drivers and the power plan from AMD’s website, plus my mobo latest bios. After several tests everything seems to be fine but probably things should work much better on a clean install; also my mods folder is a mess, haven´t found the time to organize/optimize it. What I´m trying to say is that there’s a lot of room for improvement not counting overclocking.

So yeah, S3 doesn’t seem to have problems with Ryzen and I'm a happy camper :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Josh !

Never saw this reply until now.

Well, i ended up with an Intel Core i5, 16GB and a GTX 1080 on Win10 Pro.
So much better than my previous PC.
Loading times are much faster. Haven't timed it but it's like day and night.

There are still tiny hicups, but heck, i can't complain.
All of my games run so much better.

You kind of lost me after ''now here's the kicker''. I'm such a Tech illiterate.
But thank you for the feedback.

Phew, the money we have to spend for these games to work properly. :cold_sweat: :open_mouth::smiley:

Archived