PC shuts down while playing

volimtripice

Hello, can someone help me with advice about problem with my pc, and forgive my english, its not my native language.

Problem is that my pc shuts down while playing 2 games (Skyrim LE modded and BeamNG Drive) while in others all is fine, no shuts down (GTA5 and Farming simulator 17).

When shut down happen lights of tower still working, just the picture on monitor missing. Then I need to manually restart and no error message is shown when windows are loaded.

I watched temperatures while playing and it usually happens when my processor and graphic card go above 70-80 C (after 30-60 min).  All drivers are updated, and my tower got 2 vents.

Probably graphic card is culprint, but would like to ask someone who knows better :smile:

My rig:

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00 GHz, Skylake 14nm Technology
CoolerMaster Hyper TX3i Evo Intel
RAM - 16,0GB G.SKILL Ripjaws
MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK (MS-7970) (U3E1)
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 480 Nitro+
700W Chieftec smart series GPE700S
931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ (SATA)
LC Power Case Gaming 976B Dark Trooper

Yea, it seems like your Graphics driver may be borked but I would agree if your drivers are all updated and you can run other games it sounds like it is your graphics card. Though before I say that Skyrim is also a bit buggy in some regards do you run it with a frame limit or do you run it without a frame limit because that makes a huge difference as Skyrim's game engine cannot run over 60FPS.

A Nitro+ hitting 80 degrees is an issue with cooling, it is one of the best coolers on a graphics card. However a graphics driver crash is usually accompanied by a blue screen and you will always be notified of this on startup, as Windows does not take a VGA driver error kindly.

I would suspect the power supply, actually. Chieftec uses CWT as the OEM for that supply, and CWT is one of the worst possible OEMs. Once you add in the fact that a modded Skyrim with an ENB is one of the most demanding games out there even in 2017, you can expect huge spikes in power demand which can put a lot of stress on a power supply.

Then there is the fact that the RX480/580 have very poorly designed power circuitry, with efficiency dropping to 70% or lower at full load. This can unduly load the +12V rail and cause it to dip momentarily, causing a freeze.

Or it could simply be your card dying slowly.

I would start with replacing the power supply with a tier one supply.

Tier one is basically any power supply made by Seasonic, and these tend to run a little more expensive than others. For example a 500W Seasonic will cost you maybe 10-15% more than what you paid for a 700W CWT, but will also be a better supply overall and sufficient for your setup. Plus, most of them are backed by 5 year warranties.

As far as I know, the Antec Edge and TruePower series are made by Seasonic. The Cooler Master Vanguard (V550) is also an option, but I'm not sure about the warranty.

The second thing I would do is look at cooling. You will definitely want at least two intakes and two exhausts in the case, the RX series aren't easy to cool. And the overclocked CPU is obviously adding more heat to the case than the fans are able to get out in time, hence the high GPU temps.

If possible get a case that allows good cooling. Depending on where you're located, and what brands and options are open to you, get a few model numbers from good manufacturers and look up reviews for them. I recommend one of the Corsair open-mesh designs like the Air 540, or a fully closed and controlled airflow unit like the 600Q. If a case is not possible then you need to max out the fan slots and use high-airflow fans.

^^Completely false information based on urban legend and FUD. I also have an Asus RX580 and a XFX RX460 that I've tried playing on and they run just fine and don't run any hotter than the nV cards. The RX460 is a single slot card but I've never seen it hit 80 degrees. Card cooling does not depend on the chips, but on the manufacturing decisions and case cooling. Cards also have issues beyond the chip cooling. For example, there are cards that ignore VRM cooling almost completely. Some have the VRMs run beyond 100C, which shortens the card life significantly. nV cards from Zotac are a prime example.

The Nitro+ is one of the best GPU cooling solutions on the market at this moment, beaten only by some of the ROG Strix designs. 

The issue with AMD is that Boris does not test on or recommend ENBs to be used with such cards, and indeed they run a wee bit smoother on the nV cards. Something like the RX480/580 still has enough power to get very good framerates with ENB enabled at almost all resolutions. The RX580 I tried hits 60fps/2560x1600 with Realvision high and a decent amount of 2K textures.

I know most people are quick to point to graphics drivers, but I've seen this issue caused by many people due to a very stupid setting in windows' audio.

In your audio properties (right click volume > playback devices): DISABLE the option for software to take 'exclusive control' of the audio card.

In about 5 out of 10 cases this fixes random shut downs and reboots in games.

This issue plagued me for 2 years with my first machine, until I disabled the option.

Exclusive mode only applies to WASAPI applications, and Windows in its stock form does not use WASAPI. It was created as an alternative to ASIO for low latency and to bypass Windows' native sound mixer (that degrades audio). Some audio player software may come with a driver for WASAPI and if they are active during the gaming session and probe the audio device, it may cause a crash.

However Windows comes with the setting enabled by default and I can bet 99% of users don't have this experience because it would have come up sooner as a to-do (for example in the STEP guide) as it would have impacted 99% of them. I'm not saying it didn't solve your problem, but it wouldn't be because of the setting itself. I'm currently playing on a 39" TV using its inbuilt speakers and HDMI audio, and the setting is enabled. Still stable enough for me.

On 24. 12. 2017. at 11:16 AM, Reginald_001 said:

I know most people are quick to point to graphics drivers, but I've seen this issue caused by many people due to a very stupid setting in windows' audio.

In your audio properties (right click volume > playback devices): DISABLE the option for software to take 'exclusive control' of the audio card.

In about 5 out of 10 cases this fixes random shut downs and reboots in games.

That is one of first things I found when I looked for Skyrim fixes few years ago :smile:

edit

Happy holidays to all

Off chance but... have you been playing with you ram modules lately? had similar to what you described once when i hadn't fitted one correctly, was in enough to pass the ram check and show on start up but then when a game tried to use it would get a crash

No, PC is 1y old and it still got warranty mark (or whatever its called) on it, so I didnt touch anything inside.

It looks the problem was at AMD Wattman settings. 

Graphic card voltage control was set automaticaly on 1300 mV for last stage (and all others was higher than recommended)

After returning all to recommended  settings (like on this video) all works, no shut down for 3 hours in Skyrim and temperatures are lower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L00yplZVDhQ&t=113s

I dont know why voltage was set so high, there was update which solved that and I didnt touch anything.

One of last updates must messed something.

Now it looks good, will look for temperatures 1-2 days, but I'm planning to buy cooler definetly

Archived