[Update - 2017Nov04] Tera Elin HDT Ears-n-Tails with Painted Lady Re Compatibility

11 hours ago, PsychoMachina said:

I'm going to attempt at making something for RaceMenu, but it will take some time as I become familiar with the procedure to making an addon.

Also I should mention that making the ears alter it's shape will be a challenge since there are 2 HDT ear branches per ear as welll as separate groups for each type of ears.  If all goes well, you should be able to make the ears look (more or less) like the picture you posted.

That would be amazing, good luck! Thanks for the hard work!

If I wanted to add ears and tail to a mod added follower, how would I go about doing that? is there a way that I can take control of the npc and do it from racemenu? Or how difficult would it be to throw them in the CK and add it to them from the creation kit?

As far as taking control of the follower directly though, I've already tried Alternate Actors mod.  It did not work for me, I think because it was incompatible with my mods.

17 hours ago, PsychoMachina said:

Yes.  However, the sliders to alter there shape is another story.   I'll have to redo their INI files, it's not working.

Still good work and quicker then I thought too! While it would  be amazing to get them the shape in that picture I sent you, just being able to adjust the size alone would be good too!

6 hours ago, Photonix said:

Still good work and quicker then I thought too! While it would  be amazing to get them the shape in that picture I sent you, just being able to adjust the size alone would be good too!

I should explain that the sliders will not appear for the Elins and may require rewriting their ECE/CME INI files.  For non-Elin races, the additional sliders that alters the thickness of each HDT bone in the ears work, but only on one side instead of both sides simultaneously. 

Edited by PsychoMachina

I am not asking for a full tutorial here, just bare bones as I am somewhat savvy in Creation Kit and I can work around NifScope if need be. I am wanting to add elin ears and tails to certain mod added followers, and maybe a couple of NPCs in the game.  Could you please be so kind as to give me some basic information as to how to do this?  I tried editing a follower CharacterGenParts data in the CK to add rabbit 2 facial hair to her character data, but it did not work.  Do I need to convert the mesh and texture files somewhere in CK and/or NIFScope for that specific follower or NPC?

Edited by deathneko11
Corrected a mistake
8 hours ago, deathneko11 said:

I am not asking for a full tutorial here, just bare bones as I am somewhat savvy in Creation Kit and I can work around NifScope if need be. I am wanting to add elin ears and tails to certain mod added followers, and maybe a couple of NPCs in the game.  Could you please be so kind as to give me some basic information as to how to do this?  I tried editing a follower CharacterGenParts data in the CK to add rabbit 2 facial hair to her character data, but it did not work.  Do I need to convert the mesh and texture files somewhere in CK and/or NIFScope for that specific follower or NPC?

For followers and NPCs of your own making.

1. Convert the Elin Ears/tail plugin to a master.
  2. Add the master as a dependency to your follower or NPC replacer mod.
  3. Now add the ears/tail set as FACIAL HAIR to the NPC's Gen Part data.
  4. When all done, create the new FaceGen (CTRL+F4).

- Alternative.

Skip steps 1 and 2 by copying the HeadParts forms for the ears and tails you want to add to your follower/NPC and add them as NEW forms complete with new EditorID and Name.

Now follower steps 4 and 5.

For followers and NPCs made by others, especially if they used ECE or RaceMenu.

1. Adding the ears/tail set using CK definitely 'breaks' FaceGen.  You can try using TES5edit, but I never tried it before so I can't say what will happen.
  2. You can try copying the ears/tail branch and paste it in the follower's or NPC's exported head nif.
  3. Nif Merge was reported not to work.

5 hours ago, PsychoMachina said:

For followers and NPCs of your own making.

1. Convert the Elin Ears/tail plugin to a master.
  2. Add the master as a dependency to your follower or NPC replacer mod.
  3. Now add the ears/tail set as FACIAL HAIR to the NPC's Gen Part data.
  4. When all done, create the new FaceGen (CTRL+F4).

- Alternative.

Skip steps 1 and 2 by copying the HeadParts forms for the ears and tails you want to add to your follower/NPC and add them as NEW forms complete with new EditorID and Name.

Now follower steps 4 and 5.

For followers and NPCs made by others, especially if they used ECE or RaceMenu.

1. Adding the ears/tail set using CK definitely 'breaks' FaceGen.  You can try using TES5edit, but I never tried it before so I can't say what will happen.
  2. You can try copying the ears/tail branch and paste it in the follower's or NPC's exported head nif.
  3. Nif Merge was reported not to work.

Thank you!  I will play around with it, testing on a vanilla npc first and then go from there.  I appreciate the response and will get back with screenshots if things go well ^^

I tried doing a test using the CK to add the Rabbit Ears 2 to Camilla Velarius in Riverwood, since I figured it would be easier to do on a vanilla NPC.  I have Elin Ears and Tails for NPCs as esm file, and in the CK saved a new plugin that is dependent on the esm as master, as well as skyrim.esm and update.esm.  I exported the facegendata as you mentioned, and it exported fine as far as I can tell.  I have the nif and the .dds in my export folders after doing so, and the .nif loads up in nifscope.  However, when I try to go into the Riverwood Trader the game immediately crashes because it's not liking the change on Camilla. I also checked in Tes5Edit and tried copying the headpart forms as new entry into my test plugin, and then adding them to the headpart data for the plugin's actor/Camilla.  Tried again, no such luck.  I reckon my next best bet is to try copying the ear/tail branch to the exported head nif in nifscope?  I have a gist of an idea how to do this, if I can find the right information to guide me I can follow along easily enough.

Edit:  I tried copying the tail and rabbit ear 2 branches into Camilla's exported head.nif, and saved it.  It showed up just fine in nifskope, tail and ears were where they should be in the preview window.  However when I set Camilla to use the new head.nif the game crashes when I go into the cell she's located in.  So what am I doing wrong to make the game crash?  Am I missing a step with the .nif?  Do I need to export the edited head.nif as .obj and do some extra steps?

Edited by deathneko11
Added more information

I remember the problem you are facing.  Whenever I recreate the facegen of the Elin NPCs and Enemies while having the HDT ears and tails installed the resulting facegens would include the HDT ears and tail.  If they originally have the non-HDT set, the CK would add the HDT version even though I never changed their head parts.

The solution was to install the non-HDT ears and tails before creating the facegens then reinstall the HDT files afterwards.  This stopped the crashing.  The problem, it would seem, is the instability of HDT if it's saved in the facegen mesh.

Here are the non-HDT files.  Install them, overwrite the HDT files then export the facegen of the follower/NPC you are customizing and afterwards, reinstall the HDT sets.

Elin_nonHDT Meshes.7z

Edited by PsychoMachina
3 hours ago, PsychoMachina said:

I remember the problem you are facing.  Whenever I recreate the facegen of the Elin NPCs and Enemies while having the HDT ears and tails installed the resulting facegens would include the HDT ears and tail.  If they originally have the non-HDT set, the CK would add the HDT version even though I never changed their head parts.

The solution was to install the non-HDT ears and tails before creating the facegens then reinstall the HDT files afterwards.  This stopped the crashing.  The problem, it would seem, is the instability of HDT if it's saved in the facegen mesh.

Here are the non-HDT files.  Install them, overwrite the HDT files then export the facegen of the follower/NPC you are customizing and afterwards, reinstall the HDT sets.

Elin_nonHDT Meshes.7z

Just to verify, when you say "install the non-HDT ears and tails" do you mean to replace the nif files of the tails and ears in this mod with the non HDT ones, launch the CK, set the face hair for (in this instance a vanilla npc), export facegen, save plugin, then replace the non HDT nifs with the HDT nifs?

Edit: I tried, and it worked ... Kind of.

Recorder with broken rabbit ears

The HDT is not working, the tail and ears are static.  It also looks like the textures aren't loading?  I guess it's progress in the right direction though :/

Any further insight?  And thank you very much for your help so far.  I've gone in too deep to give up now :D

Edit Number 2:  I tried again, this time I went with a vanilla NPC Camilla like I was talking about earlier using the non HDT meshes.  I set her facial hair to elin rabbit, hit ok, export facegen, replace non hdt files in this mod's directory with the default hdt ones, and then load the game up.  Meshes are in the right place it seems, but the static purple ears and tail is all I see.  No textures are loading and there's no movement. When I export the facegen data for Camilla it exports to this path:

Skyrim/Data/Meshes/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom/Skyrim.esm

with a file that looks like this:  ---1347B.NIF (i'm assuming this is the only file I should be exporting for facegen?)

One thing I have thought about is whether or not I need to put the facegen data somewhere else, with a directory that points specifically to the character it's assigned to?  Do I need to make a character folder for Camilla?  And what all is included in the facegen data once exported?  Just the textures? And would the lack of HDT movement have anything to do with the exported facegen data?

Edited by deathneko11
Added more Information

The textures are not loading because I did not change the texture paths in the meshes.  They were still using the paths for the Elin race.

Here are the non-HDT files with the texture paths corrected.

Elin_nonHDT_Ears and Tails_fixed.7z

Regarding the static ears on the NPC, the non-HDT ears/tail is saved in the new facegen so they will not have any physics and can't be influenced by the HDT version used by your character.

Edited by PsychoMachina

Downloaded, Will play around with it later today.  I'm sick as a dog right now and have to get my son enrolled in school this morning -_-

And again, I am extremely grateful to you for the help so far.  It's been a long time since I've done any mod making and I've got my teeth sunk into this one.  If I am a bother though, please let me know!

Ok so exporting the HDT meshes to facegen causes crashes, exporting nonHDT works fine but you don't get the HDT movement.  I have two questions on this. 

1: Is it possible to export the HDT meshes to facegen without causing the crashes? (in addition to question 1, what causes the crashes to begin with and is it possible to fix?)

2: If I wanted to implement a workaround, Would it be possible to utilize the CK to create equippable tails/ears similar to a past mod that has done so?  I'm assuming that her work was done quite differently than how your meshes and textures are set up, so if I were to do this I reckon I would have to do some work in Nifskope to set the bones correctly for an equippable setup?

7 hours ago, deathneko11 said:

Downloaded, Will play around with it later today.  I'm sick as a dog right now and have to get my son enrolled in school this morning -_-

And again, I am extremely grateful to you for the help so far.  It's been a long time since I've done any mod making and I've got my teeth sunk into this one.  If I am a bother though, please let me know!

Ok so exporting the HDT meshes to facegen causes crashes, exporting nonHDT works fine but you don't get the HDT movement.  I have two questions on this. 

1: Is it possible to export the HDT meshes to facegen without causing the crashes? (in addition to question 1, what causes the crashes to begin with and is it possible to fix?)

2: If I wanted to implement a workaround, Would it be possible to utilize the CK to create equippable tails/ears similar to a past mod that has done so?  I'm assuming that her work was done quite differently than how your meshes and textures are set up, so if I were to do this I reckon I would have to do some work in Nifskope to set the bones correctly for an equippable setup?

1)  I can't say for certain because I have not bothered to find the cause and a solution.  Now there is another method I have not checked and that is exporting the head from your playable character using RaceMenu or ECE then giving it to the NPC in place of the facegen files.  It could take something simple as renaming the file to the EditorID of the NPC (the exported head will have the EditorID of the playable character) or it might involve some editing of the data in the nif.  This is something I have yet to explore so I don't have a definitive answer.

2)  You would have to make the ears/tail set be used like an armor piece to make them equippable.  Just follow the same steps of making an armor mod just make sure you give the ears and tail a biped slot both in the ARMOR ADDON form and the mesh or else they will not appear when equipped.  The caveat is that there are no ground mesh so you will have to place the ears/tail in a container or your inventory when not equipped.

To make them appear on the NPC from the start (without having to give it to them to wear) you will need to create an OUTFIT form that lists all outfit pieces then add the OUTFIT form to the NPC's inventory data in CK.

The Equip part sounds about right.  For the most part it's the same as creating the HDT wigs that someone did with an HDT hair pack on the Nexus if I'm not mistaken.  The only thing that concerns me is that when I dug into the HDT Wearable Tails and Ears mod that can be found on the Nexus, there is a .ini file with HDT collision data for every single item in that mod.  Can I safely assume that that is not necessary with the way you have the .nif and texture files set up for yours?

20 hours ago, deathneko11 said:

http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/uploads/gallery/album_221/gallery_4026_221_455673.png

If this is anything to go by, I just found out that Blade and Soul has some adorable animal ears and tails as well.

I plan on porting the Lyn race after I'm done with the Elin outfits, Ninja, Reaper, Gunner, and other Tera models.

11 hours ago, Photonix said:

How's it going with those slider options for Racemenu?

Have not started yet.  My job is keeping me busy and what free time I had lately was spent sorting some of the new Elin outfits.

If I have any WIPs I want people to try out, they will be posted in the Little Ladies club.  The final release will be uploaded here.