Oblivion CTDs before launching when ENB is installed (Windows 10)

Blaze69

What the title says. As long as I have the d3d9.dll file from ENB (both the main 181 and the 259 enboost-only versions of it), Oblivion crashes at launch; the game window shows up a split seconds and crashes right before it would switch into fullscreen mode in normal conditions. All I get is the Windows "Oblivion has stopped working" message, and that's it.

This happens with a 100% vanilla Oblivion setup, with not extra processes hooking into the game (not even Steam Overlay). If I use a different dll wrapper like InjectSMAA or something like that, it loads and works just fine, so it leads me to believe whatever issue causes it is ENB specific.

As listed in the title as well, I'm using Windows 10 Fall Update (1703), in case it has something to do with the problem (I wouldn't be surprised at all if MS had broken Oblivion yet again  :dodgy:).

Any ideas? No ENB means no ENBoost, and no ENBoost means the chances of the game CTDing or running out of memory go through the roof, so getting an actual playthrough going is going to be extremely difficult  :-/.

Thanks in advance

For me at least ENB have pretty much been a no go with Windows 10 1703 and 1709, so Microsoft has probably broken something again.
Oblivion crashes for me as well (with no mods) when I use ENB Boost, FONV (TTW) has severe performance issues and is more likely to crash with ENB Boost than without, and Skyrim runs poorly with ENB Boost even when I'm using the same mod setup that ran smoothly with Realvision ENB on my older+weaker desktop which had Windows 7.

For me at least ENB have pretty much been a no go with Windows 10 1703 and 1709, so Microsoft has probably broken something again.

Oblivion crashes for me as well (with no mods) when I use ENB Boost, FONV (TTW) has severe performance issues and is more likely to crash with ENB Boost than without, and Skyrim runs poorly with ENB Boost even when I'm using the same mod setup that ran smoothly with Realvision ENB on my older+weaker desktop which had Windows 7.

I know Windows 10 is a royal pain when it comes to... well, pretty much everything, but specially games, so I expected as much. Still, it used to work.

Last time I played Oblivion (around a year-ish ago?), ENBoost did work, and this was with W10 as well. Of course the 4GB DirectX 9.0 VRAM cap was still in effect, so the performance-improving effect of ENBoost was limited, but it still went a long way in making Oblivion distantly resemble playability. So if it's W10, it's got to be something from the Fall Update, or else it wouldn't have worked back then in the first place.

Still, here's to hoping someone can come up with a fix for that, because otherwise I've wasted a lot of my time setting Oblivion up again. That would not be cool :dodgy:. Dammit MS, why do you have to keep screwing things up?

I know Windows 10 is a royal pain when it comes to... well, pretty much everything, but specially games, so I expected as much. Still, it used to work.

Last time I played Oblivion (around a year-ish ago?), ENBoost did work, and this was with W10 as well. Of course the 4GB DirectX 9.0 VRAM cap was still in effect, so the performance-improving effect of ENBoost was limited, but it still went a long way in making Oblivion distantly resemble playability. So if it's W10, it's got to be something from the Fall Update, or else it wouldn't have worked back then in the first place.

Still, here's to hoping someone can come up with a fix for that, because otherwise I've wasted a lot of my time setting Oblivion up again. That would not be cool :dodgy:. Dammit MS, why do you have to keep screwing things up?

I don't think Boris is going to be releasing an ENB fix for Windows 10 (I found that manually installing the June 2010 version of DX9 made no difference), so its probably best to just run Oblivion, Skyrim and so on under Windows 7-the difference in performance and stability is definitely worth the time and effort (Skyrim no longer locks up and runs far better, Oblivion launches, FONV/TTW no longer has randomly invisible textures+poor performance with ENB Boost).

There are some things you guys can try. Disabling User Account Control might be effective if you have Oblivion installed into Program Files.

Right click on enbhost.exe and choose properties and make sure its not blocked. There is also a compatibility tab in properties and you can choose Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Archived