Can someone suggest a tut? Replacing NPC meshes but keeping anim..

Awkward Nymph

I've seen people upload 'new creatures' that use werewolf, wolf, gargoyle, what have you, animations.

I have some 3D models that are already rigged, and I want to somehow put them into the game and using the preexisting animations.  So they are more likely to be compatible with adult animations.

If this is all a load of rambling crap, I'm sorry, I really want to mod like this, and I'm not sure how to start or what to do.

I have 3DS max 2014, student edition, so I can use this program, nifscope, creation kit, etc... I just need direction. 

Any pdf how-tos or video links much appreciated.  I want to mod SOMETHING, and this will be something I can use too. 

I've seen people upload 'new creatures' that use werewolf, wolf, gargoyle, what have you, animations.

I have some 3D models that are already rigged, and I want to somehow put them into the game and using the preexisting animations.  So they are more likely to be compatible with adult animations.

If this is all a load of rambling crap, I'm sorry, I really want to mod like this, and I'm not sure how to start or what to do.

I have 3DS max 2014, student edition, so I can use this program, nifscope, creation kit, etc... I just need direction. 

Any pdf how-tos or video links much appreciated.  I want to mod SOMETHING, and this will be something I can use too. 

Hi.

Sorry no tuts that I know of.

If you want to get your 3d models into Skyrim, then your first step is the skeleton.

The gold standard is XPMSE for humanoids.

So if your 3d models can "fit" the XPMSE skellie (or you can make them fit ), then all you need to do is replicate the weights that existing humanoids have, such as legs, pelvis, and so on.  By replicate I mean make sure the weights are about same on say the Skyrim Woman as say your 3d model.

Really recommend outfit studio (part of bodlyslide) for this.

You'll have to add the bones in Outfit Studio, or OS for short, and then you could use the UUNP or CBBE to transfer weights across.

Therre are many bones in XMPSE.

Best is open skeleton.nif in nifscope and look at that maze of bones lol.

You could use some creatively, but just remember anaimations may appear a bit off if to creative.

For non-humanoids, like wolves, idea is same.  Find the skellie it references, add those bones and weight simialrily.

The advantage of skinning similarlily is you get to then use pre-existing animations.

But if existing skyrim skellies don't fit your creatures, your faced with fun of making a havok enable skellie with proper collision.

You'd need "hard to find" Havok Toolset, and older 3DS max (I think 2012 or 2013? ).

Being a Mass Effect gal myself, (yes even Andromeda lol) can appreciate your like of aliens. angel.gif

Have fun! happy.png

Hi.

Sorry no tuts that I know of.

If you want to get your 3d models into Skyrim, then your first step is the skeleton.

The gold standard is XPMSE for humanoids.

So if your 3d models can "fit" the XPMSE skellie (or you can make them fit ), then all you need to do is replicate the weights that existing humanoids have, such as legs, pelvis, and so on.  By replicate I mean make sure the weights are about same on say the Skyrim Woman as say your 3d model.

Really recommend outfit studio (part of bodlyslide) for this.

You'll have to add the bones in Outfit Studio, or OS for short, and then you could use the UUNP or CBBE to transfer weights across.

Therre are many bones in XMPSE.

Best is open skeleton.nif in nifscope and look at that maze of bones lol.

You could use some creatively, but just remember anaimations may appear a bit off if to creative.

For non-humanoids, like wolves, idea is same.  Find the skellie it references, add those bones and weight simialrily.

The advantage of skinning similarlily is you get to then use pre-existing animations.

But if existing skyrim skellies don't fit your creatures, your faced with fun of making a havok enable skellie with proper collision.

You'd need "hard to find" Havok Toolset, and older 3DS max (I think 2012 or 2013? ).

Being a Mass Effect gal myself, (yes even Andromeda lol) can appreciate your like of aliens. angel.gif

Have fun! happy.png

That gives me some idea of what to search for, thanks for your time.  :)

Yeah, my dream is to port Sangheili from Halo, and Turians from Mass Effect into Skyrim.  I'd like different colors and styles too.  It would be fun to customize a race if I could just figure out the technical stuff.  

I guess I want it bad enough, it's just time to do some real research.

I can kind of sculpt things in ceramics, so maybe that knowledge will help.  :P

That gives me some idea of what to search for, thanks for your time.  smile.png

Yeah, my dream is to port Sangheili from Halo, and Turians from Mass Effect into Skyrim.  I'd like different colors and styles too.  It would be fun to customize a race if I could just figure out the technical stuff.  

I guess I want it bad enough, it's just time to do some real research.

I can kind of sculpt things in ceramics, so maybe that knowledge will help.  tongue.png

Ceramic scultping is good. happy.png  Being able to work with stuff in 3d and visualize is always good for this kind of stuff.

Just a suggestion, but a fun way is to start small, like in Outfit Studio. 

Start by modifying an outfit, maybe so it looks a bit more alien?, and changing weights on the mesh, and then get it in game.

Or maybe make a mask?

Skeleton stuff usually comes way after that, well unless your genius right away tongue.png or super-super determined.

Tiny projects like that will make you growing bigger in ability and more confident, and way less frustating.

LOL or i think so.

Cause this project is definately a super advanced undertaking to make everything fit well.

But skyrim is prbly the easiest place to achieve your idea, because of all the tools, like nifscope especially.

Good luck!

Archived