Change Main Character Height Tutorial?

So, I feel like my main character is a tad bit too tall, and feels a bit taller than just about every character in the game. I can't tell if this is because of uneven ground or some sort of perspective illusion but it's really bugging me.  Is there any way (or collection of mods) that people have used which make the character shorter but doesn't break compatibility with mods like fourplay or A.S.I.A? 

Here are things my 2 hours of research turned up:

First thing was player.setscale x. Seemed neat, but I tried it in my game and noticed that my player character's height would be reset to 1 after using power armor or certain furniture objects.  I tried resizing the power armor and my character would still reset... the odd thing is that player.getscale would still return the new, adjusted height even though  the character's actual height was clearly returned to 1.  Searching forums also brought up complaints about the camera not adjusting to the new height, bullet paths not adjusting, and terminals being too high.  So it seems like setscale really doesn't work for any sort of long term gameplay. 

-Next, small patches popped up:  

Change Player Height (shorter) https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13331/? This seems to be functionally very close to player.setscale and has the same issues. 

Universal Actor Scale Remover https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19978/? This seems to fix actor scaling with furniture or power armor use but it also seems like it would break just about everything + your relatives legs and I doubt it would work with new furniture added by mods

Any Terminal at Any Height https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25255/? This seems like it is just a fix for the terminal problems and not other issues.  

Conclusions and plea for help: 

So it looks like changing character height just may not be possible in a modded game.  I didn't even do testing with fourplay but I'm guessing fourplay doesn't even actors heights and thus the animations would be misaligned?  Idk, I didn't even make it that far before running into the previously mentioned issues.  I searched fallout 4's subforums looking for mentions of height but all that really came up were people talking about how to ban child character mods... I couldn't find many people talking about how they successfully made their character a tad shorter (like to .95-.98).  Is there some mod that I'm missing that shortens your character without messing up weapons, first person camera, has your character's height being reset after using certain objects, or any of the other little bugs?  I thought diverse bodies for fourplay or the looksmenu might but couldn't find anything about it in their respective forums.   

Edit: Well I don't like it but I found a sort-of-but-not-really-but-I-will-tolerate-it-kinda workaround... I added a some options to the MCM menu for one of my 'dicking-around' mods that allows me to set my characher height to a MCM menu defined value via a hotkey.  So now I can just press the hotkey when I notice my game reset my character's height... which is much less annoying than opening console and typing in the command.  I'm going to convert the 'Any Terminal Any Height' mod (before the mod author integrates the conflict heavy 'universal actor scale remover' mod) into a esl and use that fix for the terminals.  I'd like something better, but for now this will do.  I'll look into the 'universal actor scale remover mod when I want to and see if I can make a mod that has the same effect but works by editing a game script rather than removing a certain keyword form every item in the game that has said keyword (modify the script that detects said keyword instead of modding a bunch of vanilla items and causing conflicts).  Would like something better still.  So if anyone has any suggestions then I'm all ears. 

Edit 2: Okay, don't like how the terminal height script handles things so I'm looking for an alternate way of implementing the same feature in my personal mod. As for the Universal scale remover mod, I found a pretty simple way to implement the same feature for just the player character via scripting so I added that to my mod (and thus no conflicts since I'm not modding any vanilla files/data sets).  I also added in some special checks for power armor so height re adjusts automatically after entry and exit.  The static power armor frame you hop into is still big but that's a very temporary problem that doesn't bother me all too much.  Tested bullet height with vanilla weapon and didn't see the misalignment bug that others were mentioning either.  So, starting to get to a pretty okayish state playability wise. 

Final Edit:  I almost didn't add a more efficient terminal height script, I found as long as you don't make your character too short the terminal can still be visible on screen.... but F it.  I added my implementation to my shortie mod.  Still haven't tested with 4play yet but it shouldn't really matter either way.  I have a hotkey to change height back to 1.0 if I need it for fourplay events.  As for the main game, this makes playing as a shortie viable for me.  I was play testing for a couple of hours and didn't once need to manually set my height (via hotkey) back to it's shorter setting.  So, overall pretty happy.  But, I definitely don't think using console commands is enough, like some people claim.  Just using console commands to reset player height after the many, many events which reset it in game... is just too troublesome to be worth it.  You need a mod to handle this for you.  I don't plan on releasing my mod as of right now, but if enough people ask me for it then I'll consider it.  No one ever replied to this topic... so I'm guessing most players just don't care or are happy with the conflict heavy, inefficient other mods that can do something almost similar to what my single conflict light mod can.  

• 8 months later...

Hmm...I've been using setscale for months now and have never had my character's nor any NPCs height "reset" after using power armor or any workstation, bed, etc.

example: player.setscale 1 (default height) though I use player.setscale .96 for a female player character.

A more permanent solution is to use modscale.

example: player.modscale 1

Give modscale a shot (unless you've already tried it) and let me know if it works out for you! Good luck.

Also, just so you're aware. Height changes are NOT reflected in Four-Play. Four-Play uses the default height values for all of its scenes. So if you're planning on making a much shorter character (such as around .9) there will be clipping and instances of misaligned sex. I've found that using a height between .94 to .98 for females is best as it allows them to be slightly shorter without too much misalignment.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...