[Search] Some sort of form-fitting greaves/leggings/puttees/gaiters/legwarmers/legwraps etc.

So I'm trying to include some of the BDO armours with both male & female versions in the replacer mod I'm working on, but a couple of the nicest ones have no mesh below the knees for some reason, so unless the character has boots on, their calves are invisible (I'm working on the Clead armour at the moment).

I tried adding a plain body mesh underneath (as many armour mods do), but due to the non-Skyrim body shape of some of the armours it's probably impossible to make it work without massive amounts of clipping. This isn't a body type problem either, like CBBE vs UNP - the male armour is just as bad, worse even.

All I need is a plain simple mesh to cover the gaps between the knees and ankles. I can do the texture myself no problem.

What I'm having trouble with is that everything I can find, (such as the greaves mod on Nexus) is bulky, or at least has enough body that they'll clip with any boots the character wears. I need a close, form fitting mesh for both male and female to cover the missing part.

I could replace the pants entirely but then I'd lose the thigh armour which I'd kind of like to keep. If I get really desperate, I think I can use some of the socks mods out there and then just make the foot portion below the ankle transparent, but does anyone have any better ideas or alternatives?

Well, I tried farting around in Bodyslide and I'm just confused as anything. First off, it doesn't actually load the male mesh... just the underwear. Second, the Clead outfit also appears at a bizarre angle.

I've noticed that some outfits are like this, especially from the Korean/Japanese sources. When you look at them in Nifskope, you can see they've been moved WAY off the 0 axes. Sometimes you can move them a bit further, but if you ever apply transformation in nifskope, the armour appears in-game as horribly distorted, several meters away from your character, or both (or doesn't appear at all). I don't know if this is because of a lazy process used in the conversion or a side effect of converting meshes from certain games or what.

I'm also not sure why bodyslide won't load the male body - only the underwear! I thought bodyslide was capable of actually handling male bodies if you're only doing mesh edits, but maybe I misunderstood?

Anyway, as I mentioned, my goal here is to be able to use the outfit as a vanilla replacer (at least the cuirass and gauntlets). So I need to cover the lower legs and move/angle the outfit a bit forward (it rests to the rear of UNP/Vanilla feet locations).

At this point I might just try to reposition the cuirass and replace the pants (which are luckily a separate mesh). But if anyone has any better ideas, let me know!

post-1476414-0-08997500-1506573454_thumb.png

BDO Clead.zip

Second, the Clead outfit also appears at a bizarre angle.

It's because this outfit is developed for another game, and use completely different development system.

For correct view of this armor in BS, uncheck "apply overall skin transform" feature under "file" menu, and scale body and pants shapes with this specific scales: X:1 Y:0.0677 Z:0.0677

You still will have some clipping with Skyrim vanilla male hands, but you can fix it manually.

I'm also not sure why bodyslide won't load the male body - only the underwear! I thought bodyslide was capable of actually handling male bodies if you're only doing mesh edits, but maybe I misunderstood?

Because BS can load only one shape as reference.

If nif file, which you load as reference, contains more than one shape, you should choose that shape you wish to load as reference. Use dropdown menu for that.

Well, choosing the correct shape as my reference certainly helped (first time I've loaded a body with underwear so I never noticed that, haha)

Unfortunately I searched for a while, but can't find any "apply overall skin transform" feature? Here's all I get in my file menu and I tried all the options, as well as looking in other menus like the sidebar or the edit menu.

7b8fiNa.png

On top of that, I tried loading female outfits to see if this is a male-only issue or vanilla-only issue, but now I'm getting a bizarre issue where if I load any female body at all, I get a fatal exception and Outfit Studio crashes. WTF.

I'm using the latest version of Outfit Studio, v4.3.2. I don't know if this is an install error on my part, or what? I've tried reading as much as I can of blabba's tutorials here on LL and I searched the thread for anything related to the fatal exception, but couldn't find anything about crashes from simply loading a stock reference body like the unaltered vanilla or basic UNP/UUNP bodies.

Oh, I did find a pair of slim gaiters at least haha. Completely by accident, I found that the bottom of one of the pairs of pants in the Witcher armour pack is detachable for some inexplicable reason. So in theory I could just fix this up entirely in nifskope, but I'd really like to find out what I'm doing wrong in Outfit Studio if I can.

Maybe I should take this over to the Outfit Studio thread?

Unfortunately I searched for a while, but can't find any "apply overall skin transform" feature? Here's all I get in my file menu and I tried all the options, as well as looking in other menus like the sidebar or the edit menu.

In the last version this function has been deleted.

You can try to use previos version, or just ignore this part (but maybe you have to rotate armor).

On top of that, I tried loading female outfits to see if this is a male-only issue or vanilla-only issue, but now I'm getting a bizarre issue where if I load any female body at all, I get a fatal exception and Outfit Studio crashes. WTF.

On one of the forums I read that the use of "mature skin" textures can cause crashes. Try to use different default female textures.

Removing Mature Skin while working in Outfit Studio did fix the crashes, so that's good!

I couldn't find v3.8 (the last version before the feature you mention had been removed), so I just applied the transformation in nifskope, made sure that still worked in-game and tried to do my best in OS. Everything loaded nicely and I was able to rotate the body into place easily, so I spent a while tweaking and lining up the body in OS then masking off the unneeded parts of the vanilla body (only needed the neck and calves) and making a zap. So far, so good...

Unfortunately, no matter if I saved it or exported it, the results were... not what I was hoping for (see attached):

That tiny white blob? The body which is SUPPOSED to underly the armour. It doesn't appear to have been zap-clipped either.

post-1476414-0-80598600-1506821912_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, no matter if I saved it or exported it, the results were... not what I was hoping for (see attached):

That tiny white blob? The body which is SUPPOSED to underly the armour. It doesn't appear to have been zap-clipped either.

"White blob" - it's a skeleton, that supposed to be inside armor. This means your armor mesh is huge (and rotated) =)

Rotate it again, and scale down (0.0677 scale I think).

"White blob" - it's a skeleton, that supposed to be inside armor. This means your armor mesh is huge (and rotated) =)

Rotate it again, and scale down (0.0677 scale I think).

Right.

But it's also supposed to be zapped (the whole point was to get leg meshes underneath, not a full body mesh). Instead it's completely invisible in nifskope, almost as if the body wasn't exported (the white bit is just the skeleton). Yet I made sure to check the export body box (and even tried twice, to no avail).

I went back and looked up a more in-depth tutorial here:

What I noticed is that at 6:09, when he clicks the edit slider button, it brings up a menu for him. For me it does not! Instead I can only move the slider around. Is it possible that because the vanilla male body has no inherent bodyslide function, that adding a zap slider simply doesn't work? Perhaps I should be using a more advanced base body like Better Males?

What I noticed is that at 6:09, when he clicks the edit slider button, it brings up a menu for him. For me it does not! Instead I can only move the slider around.

It's a "slider properties" window.

You can open it by pressing TAB, or from "Slider" sub-menu (while slider selected) =)

Well, I did manage the slider properties, but sadly it never did save a clipped body. I tried saving (using the exact process in all tutorials), but for some reason the file.... wasn't there? I checked the file path and tried several different ones so I have no idea what's going on.

So I exported as a .nif (with reference of course) and that at least gave me a .nif, but it had the same problems as last time, where it was all wildly out of scale (though the tiny body silhouette did show up on the tiny body skeleton this time).

Okay... so I figured if that's not going to work, maybe I'll JUST alter the body and change it in .nifskope. So I loaded the reference body and armour, created the zap slider and set it all up to trim the body, deleted the outfit portions and tried saving (with reference of course). Then it gave me a save error! So I exported the body-only .nif, then used nifskope to combine it with and edit the armour. But testing the body again showed it was invisible in-game. I also tried opening the body only creating the mask without even loading the armour portion (since I have the portion I wish to mask practically memorized at this point. This time it did let me save it, only it once again failed to actually appear anywhere (even when I search my computer).

First off, I don't know why I'm getting mysterious saving issues. If - for instance - the path in OS is meshes/armor/New Outfit no file will be written in that directory in my Skyrim Data, not even an empty New Outfit file folder. It doesn't turn up in the CalienteTools folder either. Just... nothing happens. Second, if I export instead of saving, the body mesh just never ever gets zap-clipped and instead completely invisible in-game.

I just don't understand why a program that works fine for everyone else is giving me so much trouble. I searched for ages to try and find something about save locations or a similar issue but saw nothing. Maybe it's confused because my steam folder and games are on a different drive, but if so it would be the first and only program to be so confused. Everything else finds my Skyrim directory just fine. Even with all that, I have no idea why the zap mask is netting me zero results, though maybe the zapping doesn't work on export and only on save?

Thanks with all your help so far by the way, you've shown a hell of a lot of patience.

I just don't know why it's so complicated for you.

Ok, quick instruction.

Open your armor nif in nifscope. Set scale of all your armor parts to 1 and rotation  to 0.0.0 (all three axis to 0).

Save.

Open BS and go to Settings (below). Set reference skeleton to male skeleton (it's important part). If you do not have one in your BS folder - copy male skeleton from game's characters assets folder.

Open OS and load your armor. Scale it down with following scales X:1 Y:0.0677 Z:0.0677.

Export result.

Open male body as reference, load your armor. Mask lower part of male body, go to shape -- delete vertices. No need to create zap-zliders, just delete vertices manually. (You can save this "legs" separatelly and use them for other armors).

Use brush to fix clipping.

Export to nif with reference.

Al this you shall get as result

cuirass_1.nif

When will you do an zero-weight armor variant - mask exactly the same vertices as for _1 variant, or you will get messed-up body on character's weights between 0 and 100.

Hello again.

Finally had the chance to get back to this after a few busy days. First, good news, after some mucking around and using your instructions, I was able to delete the verts and create a partial body.

However, (and no doubt you are going to think I am the stupidest idiot on the planet at this point), when I followed your instructions, step by step to the very letter, I ran up against numerous problems.

Open your armor nif in nifscope. Set scale of all your armor parts to 1 and rotation  to 0.0.0 (all three axis to 0).

Save.

Okay, no problem.

Open BS and go to Settings (below). Set reference skeleton to male skeleton (it's important part). If you do not have one in your BS folder - copy male skeleton from game's characters assets folder.

I set up the vanilla reference body in the BS settings as instructed. However, when loading OS (or any outfit in OS), I always got an error stating "Root [value chosen] not found in [file location]" for values chose, BS only let me choose 'Root', 'NPC Root [root]', or 'Bip01'

Open OS and load your armor. Scale it down with following scales X:1 Y:0.0677 Z:0.0677.

Export result.

I tried that and got the result in the attached image. I couldn't make that work at all - is that what you really wanted?

post-1476414-0-47410900-1507348040_thumb.png

Instead I, just scaled it all to 0.0667. I had to rotate it as well in OS, otherwise it wouldn't overlay the reference body. So after I exported, I looked at the exported .nif, it looked like no change had been made (exported .nif was still huge and face down)

At this point I was sure I was doing *something* wrong, but went back to OS and pressed on.

Open male body as reference, load your armor. Mask lower part of male body, go to shape -- delete vertices. No need to create zap-zliders, just delete vertices manually. (You can save this "legs" separatelly and use them for other armors).

Masking and deleting manually worked fine. I guess maybe zap sliders only works with bodies which have bodyslide sliders already (Obviously vanilla male bodies don't).

Use brush to fix clipping.

Here's where I finally hit the head+desk moment. No matter what I did, the brushes had no effect on the armour. I could alter the BODY mesh reference, but I couldn't alter the ARMOUR, and I have absolutely no idea why. On the completed outfit you sent, I can clearly see that you altered the OUTFIT mesh so I have no idea why I can't.

===

Believe me, I don't know why it's so complicated for me either. I'm not running here at the first sign of trouble - I take the time to google error messages and look up various tutorials. I feel like there must be some huge core aspect of OS I must be missing, some basic setting in BS I'm not setting or something. But again, I started out with basic tutorials and worked my way from there. The only thing that's different is I never see anything mentioned about people trying to convert to the vanilla body, or doing anything with male meshes.

Okay, no problem.

Did you hit "Apply Transform"?

If so, you should not have done it.

I set up the vanilla reference body in the BS settings as instructed. However, when loading OS (or any outfit in OS), I always got an error stating "Root [value chosen] not found in [file location]" for values chose, BS only let me choose 'Root', 'NPC Root [root]', or 'Bip01'

You need to set not body, but skeleton. I use the one that comes with the SoS-mod, but, I think, vanilla should work too.

And choose NPC Root node, I think.

All other things that you got - it's because of latest version of BodySlide. It's quite buggy (a common thing for new BS versions).

I set it up, and also can't use brush to edit armor directly.

Try to use 4.3.1 version (I wrote this instruction for this version).

Archived