Sneak bug : Enemies keep resetting into the alarm state

Question

Has anyone seen this happen before? This occurs even without mods.

You sneak kill an enemy, another enemy discovers the corpse and goes into the alarm state. This makes them walk around with their weapon out for a while. This is normal behaviour.

The problem is that after the alarm state expires, they instantly discover the corpse again and go into the alarm state again. This repeats in an infinite loop so that they forever keep pacing around the corpse with their weapon out, holstering their weapon for a second, then going back into the alarm state.

I know this problem is fixed in skyrim...does anyone now what causes this?

Is that a bug?

Sounds like slightly smarter ai than beth usually has, so i guess it might be a bug.

Its a bug because they keep looping forever. Sometimes it works correctly and they will go back to normal after a while, but other times they just get stuck in the alarm state. In skyrim it works correctly.

Whenever you post a problem you should almost always post your load order so people can see what you have installed and maybe be able to see what might be causing it.

Have you tried going into TFC mode by hitting the ~ key and typing in TFC then while in TFC mode move to the body and click it and type in disable and then typing in TFC again to leave TFC mode and see if that stops someone from looping? There might also be a mod that can remove the bodies quicker to prevent them from looping.

Whenever you post a problem you should almost always post your load order so people can see what you have installed and maybe be able to see what might be causing it.

Have you tried going into TFC mode by hitting the ~ key and typing in TFC then while in TFC mode move to the body and click it and type in disable and then typing in TFC again to leave TFC mode and see if that stops someone from looping? There might also be a mod that can remove the bodies quicker to prevent them from looping.

Its not a load order issue, it happens in the vanilla game as well. I suspect its some kind of engine bug.

I did a lot of testing by playing around with sneak related game settings. I was using the console command "GetDected Players" on the AI and i could see the actual sneak value, and it never rose above the detection threshold (e.g. it was at -90) but the AI would simply keep repeating the search infinitely.

Yes, you can disable the corpse to prevent the AI from looping infinitely, but thats not a very good workaround since it stops players from looting it and you would have to use scripts to disable and delete every corpse in the game when one is generated. The main problem is that when the player sneak kills an actor, another actor stumbles on the corpse and gets stuck in a search pattern forever, essentially forcing the player to resort to brute force approaches after.

The only two things that I have found that will stop the AI from getting stuck in the search loop is to either set the base sneak value to a very low number (which essentially gives the player a massive boost to sneak) or to set fDetectionEventExpireTime to 0. The latter seems to work the best, the player can still get detected when firing weapons, etc, but the AI doesnt get stuck in search loops when discovering a corpse. The downside is that the AI does not appear to react to corpses at all, but thats better than having sneak be constantly ruined by a infinitely searching AI.

Archived