Microsoft is fixing Skyrim's memory problem with Windows10 and DX9

prinyo

I can't believe how smooth the performance is now. Still get the occasional stutter but its few and far between. The most immediate change is I can whip the camera around and now have it not hitch like before. Tempted to try and see how far I can push this, maybe start by upping to 1440p.

Did nothing from my frames but did cut ENB loading times to about half of what it used to be. Very impressed so far.

Oh it is completely awesome isn't it? 16gb for Boris. The difference is night and day. I have turned everything on. Everything I could find. Even JK's Dawnstar doesn't lag. Currently running Organic ENB with all the extras, Vivid weather with 15k particles ... cause I can, 8k tomatoes are back, uncompressed skin textures, barely even a stutter, anywhere, oh and that fancy Nividia thing that renders everything in 4k and then scales it to my monitor on top. Nice to see Mr 1080 finally get a work out.

there any reason why it wouldn't be seeing all of my memory and video memory? the dx9 test says 13824 for me, I have 16 gb ram and a 6gb gpu.

the dx11 test is off too and tells me usually somewhere above 26500

as for stuttering I've still got the same stutters for the most part. still had to size a lot of textures down.

The stutter is ... usually ... caused by the enb passing info back and foward. There are a few things you can do in the enblocal.ini to reduce this.

DisablePreloadToVRAM=false

ReservedMemorySizeMb=giveBorisMOAR!!!! (I set 256)

VideoMemorySizeMB=giveBorisMOAR!!!!! (I set 12000)

EnableCompression=false

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false <- supposedly setting this to true this will reduce stutter going from indoor to outdoor. I am not sure if this works. I have always set it to false.

I have an i7 5820 and a 1080, so I might not be the best example of what will work for everyone. These are the settings I use. My routine each play session starts with "lets push it harder... there has to be a point ... somewhere ... where it breaks .... doesn't there?" Highres snowflakes didn't phase it. As I type this I am making high res LODS. Gotta make dat 1080 earn it's keep :smile:

On 17.12.2017 at 7:17 AM, jimmywon34 said:

there any reason why it wouldn't be seeing all of my memory and video memory? the dx9 test says 13824 for me, I have 16 gb ram and a 6gb gpu.

the dx11 test is off too and tells me usually somewhere above 26500

as for stuttering I've still got the same stutters for the most part. still had to size a lot of textures down.

IIRC - the DX11 test also uses your pagefile, which changes dynamically depending on how much RAM was recently used, and each time you run the test. Unless you use a fixed size for that, or have it disabled.

DX9 sounds about right though, i would be generous and set it to 12*1024 = 12288

2 hours ago, pinky6225 said:

Had to go to ReservedMemorySizeMb=1024 myself to remove annoying stutter when i was moving in the open world and it wanted to render fresh terrain

Well this is my enblocal.ini, no stutters at all with DynDoLOD on high - 32GB RAM and 4GB VRAM

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=false
ProxyLibrary=d3d9_SFX.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false
UseDefferedRendering=true
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=false

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=16384
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[THREADS]
DataSyncMode=2
PriorityMode=3
EnableUnsafeFixes=false

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=true
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
ForceLodBias=true
LodBias=-0.5
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=true
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=true
FPSLimit=60.0

[INPUT]
KeyCombination=16
KeyUseEffect=123
KeyFPSLimit=0
KeyShowFPS=106
KeyScreenshot=44
KeyEditor=17
KeyFreeVRAM=0
KeyBruteForce=0
KeyDepthOfField=0

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=true
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=true

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixParallaxTerrain=false
FixAliasedTextures=true
FixSsaoWaterTransparency=true
FixSsaoHairTransparency=true
IgnoreInventory=true
IgnoreLoadingScreen=true
FixTintGamma=false
RemoveBlur=false
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true
FixLag=false

[LONGEXPOSURE]
EnableLongExposureMode=false
Time=1.0
BlendMax=0.0

I think Compression and OcclusionCulling are actually causing the stutter, even with otherwise ideal settings. Uses more RAM and CPU/GPU though.

i'll give those settings a try, never thought to turn off occlusion culling. the weird thing though is the dx9 test use to come up 14208 when I first installed the 1709 win 10 build. now it's down what I mentioned, 13824. wonder what I changed, I messed with some settings in windows but I don't think anything of that nature that could mess with my memory, I played with the pagefile size but changed it back to system managed. or if it took off that 384 on it's own.

EDIT- for some reason it seems if I set it above 10000 my follower(s) get the dark face bug after changing cells.

19 hours ago, guk said:

Well this is my enblocal.ini, no stutters at all with DynDoLOD on high - 32GB RAM and 4GB VRAM

Reveal hidden contents

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=false
ProxyLibrary=d3d9_SFX.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false
UseDefferedRendering=true
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=false

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=16384
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[THREADS]
DataSyncMode=2
PriorityMode=3
EnableUnsafeFixes=false

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=true
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
ForceLodBias=true
LodBias=-0.5
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=true
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=true
FPSLimit=60.0

[INPUT]
KeyCombination=16
KeyUseEffect=123
KeyFPSLimit=0
KeyShowFPS=106
KeyScreenshot=44
KeyEditor=17
KeyFreeVRAM=0
KeyBruteForce=0
KeyDepthOfField=0

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=true
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=true

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixParallaxTerrain=false
FixAliasedTextures=true
FixSsaoWaterTransparency=true
FixSsaoHairTransparency=true
IgnoreInventory=true
IgnoreLoadingScreen=true
FixTintGamma=false
RemoveBlur=false
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true
FixLag=false

[LONGEXPOSURE]
EnableLongExposureMode=false
Time=1.0
BlendMax=0.0

I think Compression and OcclusionCulling are actually causing the stutter, even with otherwise ideal settings. Uses more RAM and CPU/GPU though.

Woops, make sure you don't use the [THREADS] settings unless you know what you're doing. I had them set to 2 / 3 for testing, but i think this actually gets me worse FPS and occasional script lag.

Default is 0 / 0

23 hours ago, Frankfranky said:

I have an i7 5820 and a 1080, so I might not be the best example of what will work for everyone. These are the settings I use. My routine each play session starts with "lets push it harder... there has to be a point ... somewhere ... where it breaks .... doesn't there?" Highres snowflakes didn't phase it. As I type this I am making high res LODS. Gotta make dat 1080 earn it's keep :smile:

Are you using 1440p monitor with that GPU? 1080 is not really for 1080p gaming if that's what you're doing.

2x 1440p monitors are sitting under the christmas tree :smile: Atm I am using Nividia's inbuilt software to render it in 1440p and then scale it to my monitor. Works pretty well. The 1080 doesn't even blink. I do a lot of stuff with Maya and zbrush. Handles them very well. I would like a GP100 , but unless I want to spend the rest of my life sleeping on the couch ....

I have been seeing how far I can push my game, currently up to ugridstoload of 9 and increased the draw distances of things to max of what the Configurator can set them to and some things to as much as double what its max was. So far it has been very stable.

I have not increased shadows and I have no grass currently but this is what I have been able to get visually using an 15 2500k (not overclocked currently), an AMD 285x w/ 3gb and 16gb system memory at a resolution of 1920 x 1200. I get 30 - 60 fps depending on how many trees and such are in view but aven at 30 fps it is still smooth and not stuttering.

Screenshots are from north of Helgen and west of Riverwood.

20171227112652_1.jpg

20171227112648_1.jpg

20171227112643_1.jpg

20171227112638_1.jpg

Archived