Socks for the cold Skyrim!

Hello everyone! It's my first post so I'll keep it short.

I've looked everywhere for socks for Skyrim, and I haven't found any basic regular socks for my male character. Since knitting is pretty old and Skyrim is such a cold place, I always figured they would have socks, thick woolen yarn socks, as an accesory! Maybe in an "extra" slot, so people can combine them with other footwear. So this is what I'd love to have or even help create for the game, since I think a lot of people would enjoy having such mod!

I know there's some stockings for females, and some even for males in the form of tattoos, but I assume they'd require at least a simple mesh to cover the toes, or even give them some shape around the edge? Creating or editing meshes is not something I've learned yet, but I think this could be kind of simple.

I'm kind of new to modding Skyrim but I've learned quickly, and I've created some stuff for myself, edited textures, followers, the easy stuff. But I'd love to offer my help, if needed, to help create them. Maybe making a variety of textures, or even make more modern designs if people would like? Like sports socks or those golden-toed ones. 

Well, let's see what everyone thinks and if there's anyone out there that would like to create this! :)

Sock in shoes  like sneakers with socks sticking out or calf high tube socks? probably more lore friendly heavy wool slipper like socks?? do you bodyslide/outfitstudio?

i mostly do girl stoof. and the mesh i don't think would be hard the texturing on the other hand..

quick google search turned up http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24704/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D24704%26preview%3D&pUp=1

spose to have a sock like mesh in there sandals 

some where in my meshes is a male calf high tube sock i,ll see what i can do

Sock in shoes  like sneakers with socks sticking out or calf high tube socks? probably more lore friendly heavy wool slipper like socks?? do you bodyslide/outfitstudio?

i mostly do girl stoof. and the mesh i don't think would be hard the texturing on the other hand..

quick google search turned up http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24704/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D24704%26preview%3D&pUp=1

spose to have a sock like mesh in there sandals 

some where in my meshes is a male calf high tube sock i,ll see what i can do

found the nifs i,ll work on something if that's what your after.

post something in a bit if i get time

post-228667-0-14689700-1492048183_thumb.jpg

Oh whoa that's exactly what I had in mind! The shape is pretty spiffy. And you're right, more lore-friendly textures is what I had in mind but I'm sure lots of people would enjoy the sporty ones?

Yeah! I had seen the Samurai Tabi in that mod too! No, I haven't learned how to work with bodyslide/outfit studio yet. But I probably will at some point. I don't know if there's a girl version but I was thinking if it isn't too much extra work maybe you could do it for both genders! 

Thank you SO much in advance for taking the time! ^^

PS: I'm reading about bodyslide now. I'll see what I learn!

yea girls aren't the problem  its the guys

See i,m a hack and i really dont know what i should know to do things right

so mod made.. but i cant weight paint the males correctly and i cant do males in Bodyslide it come out fubared

and trying to recall how to do it in 3ds makes me want to slit my throat...

so atm i have 2 meshes, low sock and tube 2 textures for low and 6 for tube but 

i,m still working on weight painting them correctly for males 

maybe i,ll post what i have and let someone finish it

if there any intrest

I was reading about weight painting before I replied. I see how important it is. Is there any way for you to kind of extract that from the game itself? Would some skinny boots work? Or the fur shoes since those are pretty small? If you have no chance but to do it manually... 

Would this tutorial I found be any help? (I'm digging for a specific one).

If anyone wants to take over please feel free to come in! Also is there anyone else reading interested in seeing this get done? ^^ Leave your comments!

Edit: I found this one, it think it's a male and he weight paints the feet (every toe individually, maybe that's too much) Maybe it helps you?

yea I'm familiar with the theory and concept  But i'm overly dense it seems as all my attempts via anything but bodyslide fail massively anyway

i did some hackery and loaded the bodyslide male in my other setup and hey i think it worked so there a male and female  version for each and the ground doesn't show up in game but the words are there... 

Also these aren't my meshes  i found them off the web sometime ago used them for a prop shoot  

So if someone upset about that i,ll remove them sorry don't recall where they came from

so here what i got feel free to do whatever with whatever

FAQ will it clip?, probably / will it work with XX body? probably not fitted for unp familia

slot 37 so you cant wear shoes at the same time ...unless you change the slot numbers in the nif and CK

Will i fix what ever problem ? don't hold your breath I'm working on a sailboat atm

edit almost forgot the file =(

sockdreams.zip

Well this is a huge start Prakhan!! Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try and see if I can adapt it with bodyslide, after I give them a try! (Even if I don't know how to do it yet, I'll do my best!!)

I'll let you know if I make any progress. Thanks again, you rock!! :D

Okay! I tried them out and let me say you exceeded my expectations!

I'll get to some tutorials and see how to adapt them in hopes to solve the clipping, for the main body mods people use I guess! And see if I can change the slot so they can be worn with stuff like the fur shoes and boots; but they work and this texture you made? It's amazing!! I took a quick pic: 

tumblr_oodr90CZzU1qgn2edo1_540.jpg

glad you like it =) its based on a sos male/unp female 100 weight  weight slider not working even tho there a 0 weight  it's a copy of _1 as far as the boot fit they would either have to be mated the shoe mesh or added to another slot why i named the slot number incase someone wanted to  make them another slot

The texture is a wool pattern i found on google and a little paint .net sketchery =)

work in 2 hours  i should get some sleep

I hope you had a good sleep! 

I've been meddling around with bodyslide but I can't seem to figure out how to make it so whenever my character moves the part above the ankle doesn't clip through his legs. There seems to be a weird bug with the tube ones, making the soles stretch away. For now I'm only trying to fix the woolen ones, hoping to learn what to do for the rest in the process. I'm trying different weight painting to see if that's what makes it but i'm completely new at this, so I haven't had much luck so far. I'm using SoS as reference too.

If anyone else feels like helping please do, I'll keep trying myself so I can learn ^^!

EDIT : I'm pretty sure I almost have it, at least for the short ones. I'll post some pics as soon as I'm sure there's no clipping whatsoever. With the skin at least. If I give you the packed file back can you maybe change the names? I think I'll make a mix of sport and some more woolen textures, or I could do a sport set and a traditional set... I'll think about it. Let me know if you have any advice.

Looks great !! that's how you get started . Welcome to the darkside & )

The tall socks are harder because the mesh extends into the body so you have both the foot mesh and the body mesh In BS/OS you need to load both meshes body and foot and check merge slider thing  takes a bit of fiddling  but yea its possible  there a lot of good guides here

If you get into a 3d program like 3dsmax or blender or the like.  there way more options to get even crazier stuff going on like merging them into another mesh like shoes with socks

or porting meshes from other sources

BTW the wool and the short ones are the same mesh different texture 

You can make some more textures   

have you tried playing with ck yet?

Thanks for the socks, going to play about with fitting them to Leito's FFR feet today.

Edit: good lord these weight paints are awful, there's also no weight slider support either since the _0 is the same as the _1

Working on it my end.

Awesome! , can you share your version ?

like i said in the beginning weight painting is something I fail at hard =(

And that i couldn't get a weigh slider working so just did the _1 as a _0 for a placeholder

Everytime i try doing weight paint in 3ds i get exploding nifs in game But i can do it in body slide to some degree

Awesome!! Thanks :3 I got to try them out and they're nearly perfect. The fitting you made is awesome. I only found one tiny clipping spot on the calves, inner area. But that's like barely visible. I'm gonna fit the smaller ones better. Trying to make them as good as yours!

EDIT: I looked around and the slot people usually choose for socks/stockings is slot 54. For reference when we get this done.

EDIT 2: I also just learned how to switch slots properly, and got it done. I'll do some testing to see if it all works.

I've fixed all clipping on my end for the tube socks from weight 0 all through to weight 100.

I'm going to do all of the socks for both male and female over the course of this week including repainting all weights by hand, I'm mainly doing this for me even though you've already worked on some, but I'll upload the finished product at the end anyway.

EDIT: I looked around and the slot people usually choose for socks/stockings is slot 54. For reference when we get this done.

I should stress that I am making my refits to Leito's FFR Feet for males and the UUNP feet for Females.

Just FYI if any of my uploaded nifs get used and there's toes poking out everywhere with the old SOS feet and whatever other female feet there are.

I'm doing them for SoS because those are the ones I use. Should we make two optional files? I'll move on to refitting the tube ones for SoS. Those are the same as Better Males right? I used to have that one first. I'll do the fitting and wait for your weight painting because I already took forever to make the lower ones. Also, I did set them all correctly to slot 54. There will be clipping on some pieces but they can be combined with some others which is pretty great :D

Archived