Getting A New Computer, What Should I Get?

If vioxsis is still with us I'd like his opinion on rosewill power supplys I like the corsair he recommended if we have enough to get it I know that one will be good here is the one I'm looking at

rosewill

you'll love the feedback 188 5 star + I haven't heard anything bad about them but I haven't heard anything great either I really have no opinion on the brand but we need at least 600 watts and 30 amps on the 12v rail this is the cheapest name brand I could find I made a mistake that I feel like shit about on nonsence667 I think he will be ok but I didn't think a 550ti would use more than 18amps on the 12volt rail and it needs 24amps anyway I checked on the card makers website for all these so I don't make the same mistake twice.

/edit lol and you said vioxsis case was ugly

can't find fault with it but i'm always aware of components that have "Green" in their name

lets go with the corsair for now fall back on that one if we have to it has overwelmingly good reviews so I might actually trust them if we need to have another 30$ off.

corsair

most of the graphic cards under $300.00 require 550 watts max with the corsair at 650 and the rosewill at 630 we still have some head room

You probably won't use crossfire\sli but if you can afford to that with 2 $300.00 + cards in the future the power supply is not too hard to change and you will know what your doing then. this should be fine for any single card for the next 5 years or wattage seems to be getting lower rather than higher the last few generations of cards.

total is now $690.00

/edit I'm off to bed for the night I'll throw a couple suggestions on graphics cards tomorrow but with wanting to run two monitors I'm going to have a hard time deciding. what I'm looking at now are are between $209-280

and we still need a hard drive which will be another $70-100 I'm getting dizzy think we need to be in the $150.00-$180 range for graphics you won't be gaming on both monitors at the same time so maybe I'm just over thinking this.

queenbee sell your body and buy this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130790 :angel:

I have no idea what those numbers mean' date=' but from the price and the reviews I'm guess that's one impressive card.

Not a bad price, but again, those numbers don't mean anything to me. But going off the reviews (there I go again with those darned reviews!), it sounds like it'll handle what I want it to do.

We'll pick this up again tomorrow, it's my bedtime as well. We're getting closer guys, I can feel it!

Couldn't sleep until this was finished ok we will talk more about the graphics card tomorrow I do like that one , but I was hoping you would go nvidia so I could give an opposing view

here is a hard drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236080

that puts us at $920

can't forget the optical drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

$947.00

here is a graph the numbers are frames per second 30 fps is smooth enough for me so according to this ,the card will do fine look at the 3rd graph down that's 1920x1080 ultra with the bells and whistles cranked up I don't own skyrim so I didn't know how this card would do but I guess its not that brutal of a game ,when you find a game that you play that is you can upgrade your card then

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-6.html

You know I am not sure why you are sticking with a 500GB HD when for just a couple dollars more you can get a 1TB drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

Also there is a cool master case that is the same price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

It does lack the fan control that the one you have selected however.

Looking good so far guys!

You know I am not sure why you are sticking with a 500GB HD when for just a couple dollars more you can get a 1TB drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

Also there is a cool master case that is the same price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

I put the hard drive in as filler for price probably where were going to make cuts' date=' case is personal she likes the look of that one, I'm geting ready to throw a wrench in right now anyway lol look at this

Ibuypower

probably a cheap PSU havent checked the mobo yet

Yea, I have bought a that brand in the past. The cases are not flashy and pretty bare but are functional. I never had any problems with it.

It only has a 500GB HD but adding a second one (even pulling one from the computer she already has) is fairly cheap.

Edit: yea the mobo and the power supply will only be mid grade equipment but they will get the job done for several years.

I put the hard drive in as filler for price probably where were going to make cuts' date=' case is personal she likes the look of that one, I'm geting ready to throw a wrench in right now anyway lol look at this

Ibuypower

probably a cheap PSU havent checked the mobo yet

check the 1st post :P

Guest Kate the Bionic Uterus

Oh i am so happy about this thread. I too am in the market for a new gaming pc so i can play skyrim. Building a pc is the best route i know but i'm a techno zombie and end up walking aimlessly through best buy and such gadgit stores.

Is this PC for gaming?

Yes, this is for gaming, though I'll be using it for all my entertainment needs, ie movies music and more.

I'm not liking that price tag on what we've put together so far. I know we'll have to cut corners somewhere and I'm afraid I'll have to make some compromises. The case is the first thing I'd be willing to skimp on, I can live with an ugly case if the computer inside is awesome (but but...GLaDOS...*cry*). After that, I'll have to rely on you guys to tell me what to do.

Queenbee' date=' did you check the Ibuypower computer in Shane's post #110? It was $780 with everything included.

[/quote']

Yeah, that was the first computer Vio suggested. I think I was told I could get a better comp by putting it together myself, and at a better bargain. But now that the pricetag keeps climbing, I'm starting to wonder...

Edit: so I just got hit with a $250 phone bill because AT&T sucks monkey balls. So I won't be buying any computers any time soon. Sorry guys.

Queenbee' date=' did you check the Ibuypower computer in Shane's post #110? It was $780 with everything included.

[/quote']

Yeah, that was the first computer Vio suggested. I think I was told I could get a better comp by putting it together myself, and at a better bargain. But now that the pricetag keeps climbing, I'm starting to wonder...

Edit: so I just got hit with a $250 phone bill because AT&T sucks monkey balls. So I won't be buying any computers any time soon. Sorry guys.

sorry to hear that, As the price kept climbing I was wondering that myself. I think for your needs the one I reposted that vioxsis suggested would be fine It's nice to pick everything out your self and know that you have a good power supply ,motherboard for future upgrades but upgrading a power supply later won't be so bad and we didn't have the greatest mobo picked out. for me I think at around $1500.00 or so it's worth building one. at that range it's too hard to figure out where to cut corners maybe better to let a PC manufacture cut them for you. I think I said in an earlier post I wasn't sure if we could beat the price of the ibuypower PC's at least while there still on sale.Looks like we can't without downgrading a few key parts.Maybe at least you will be better prepared when you can buy one.

I had fun with this so good luck to you:D: sorry about the suprise phone bill I hate those kinds of suprises:@

well i'm building my own at the moment it's bit like building a model aircraft only you have to watch out for motherboard/cpu compatability. I'm planning on 2 nvidia (zotac) gtx55ti cards for graphics not the best ones to get but lots of bang for money,3.4Ghz 3core AMD, sli motherboard and power supply and 8 gig memory. all bought on ebay and costing less than £500, at a guess that's $700US? .

Got my fingers crossed on getting all the right power connections in place and the hard drive and the cd/rw I already have from a pc that had a PSU go down

First, do you live in the US and live near a Microcenter?

If you do, they offer pretty much an unbeatable cpu + motherboard combo. You can get a i5 3570K for $190 and ASrock Z77 extreme for $90 if you buy both.

Refer to this guide for some reference and guide lines:

http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/The_FalconO6/CurrentLogicalPCBuyingGuide/?action=view&current=Guide.png

It is slightly outdated at the moment, but the case, power supply, ram, info are still good.

You can go with a cheaper case if you need to cut cost. The bare minimum are the NZXT source or NZXT GAMMA for ~$40, but they lack a fan or two. Rosewill Challeger is the next step up for around ~$50 which is basically a NZXT GAMMA with 3 fans included.

Next up is Cooler Master HAF 912, this case typically go for $50, don't pay more for it, and if it happen to cost less, it is a good deal, use the extra money for fans.

Two more to keep a look out for are Cooler Master HAF 922 and Cooler Master 690II, they typically cost anywhere from $75 to $90, they are good if they happen to be around $65 or under.

Power supply, the budget ones that are still decent are Cooler Master and OCZ. Antec occasionally have some gems. Corsair and especially Seasonic are good, but they tend to be too pricey for a budget build. (refer to the link above for the series you should go for)

RAM, realistically you don't need higher than DDR3 1600, G.Skill tend to have low prices and pretty popular, Corsair's prices aren't that bad when it comes to ram and they are typically a trusted brand. You shouldn't need to spend more than $50 for 2x4GB (8GB total)

Yeah' date=' except most model aircraft don't cost a thousand dollars and make you want to kick puppies if you don't know what you're doing.

[/quote']

lol Well I think you should just buy something like the iBuyPower and upgrade later.I know it will do what you need right now and if it doesnt later then upgrading the graphics,ram,power supply if needed and storage won't be bad. I don't want to see you spend $1500.00 on something you don't really need.As long as it has a decent processor and motherboard I think that's the way to go for your needs.Just think about and get more opinions.

So I got paid today and found out my bonus is a LOT smaller than I thought it would be. Apparently the union failed in negotiations or something (I'll have to call my rep to find out). So now I have even less to work with than before. Sad Queen is sad. =(

So I got paid today and found out my bonus is a LOT smaller than I thought it would be. Apparently the union failed in negotiations or something (I'll have to call my rep to find out). So now I have even less to work with than before. Sad Queen is sad. =(

Damn your getting shit on this week, sorry to hear about that too:(

• 4 weeks later...