Getting A New Computer, What Should I Get?

That looks pretty good, Shane. I checked around online and saw this article here, which says that Intel is better for gaming. A lot of websites seem to agree. If I go with Intel, will that mother board take it? Will it be able to take future upgrades? One article mentioned how certain CPUs need certain sockets. Does that mean future chip sockets will change, requiring a motherboard upgrade?

a socket type in the most simplest of terms, is how you match a processor to a motherboard.

Graphics Card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127616

CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074

motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131836

RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145299

PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

HDD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136770

Do you know what your HDD is (sata or ide)? 'cus you could use that and save a bit of money

~$695~

~$793~ with OS

You just have to pick your case,

you could also go with the graphics card shane4244 picked to save more (i have only had nvidia cards and dont know much about AMD).

Don't rush. Take your time. Much to the chagrin of all the people in the thread helping you' date=' if you need to take a month to order one part, then do it dammit! :D

[/quote']

I can't afford to build a new system right now and I'm past upgrades so I'm living through you two so hurry up nononsense:D

For Intel you want socket 1155,for amd you want amd3+ those are the newest so they will offer you the best upgrade options later.

And clock for clock intel is better than AMD for gaming were probably talking about 5fps or so but it looks like vioxsis managed to build you a budget intel PC I had too hard of a time making sacrifices with intel so I'm glad he came up with something.

A couple of things to think about

I always buy a good midrange overclockable processor with the intention of upgrading later but I never do I end up sticking with what I have for the life of the system. I think a lot of ppl do that unless they get an i3 or somrthing to start with.Also intel has been good lately about not changing there sockets every 6 months but they have a history of changing there sockets when new processors are released(you cant put a 1155 in a 775 socket)So upgrading 4 years from now may not be an option.(for the processor)

the sandy bridge is the last generation it is a very good processor and I think once you use it you won't feel the need to upgrade anyway but I might consider the i5k he had picked out earlier more than likely you can get by until your ready for a new build and never have to worry about it just throw a graphics card in every 18months or so

judging by the PC your upgrading from it looks like you keep them for a while.

A PC build is a very personal choice as much as you might be in a hurry now better to keep asking questions and be as informed as you can when you build it.Maybe look at some motherboards and processors your interested in. as far as the brands asus,msi,and even intel are all good brands probably a few more but asus seems too have the best rep with performance\quality.

Any PC you build now is going to be so much better than what you have your going to happy no matter what

when comparing Nvidia graphics cards look for the core clock speeds,memory clock speeds(if listed),cuda cores,and memory interface( ie256 bit)higher is better.When comparing Amd cards look for the same but look at steam processors instead of cuda cores and you cant compare steam processors and cuda cores against each other they work differently cuda core count will always be lower. and if I can find the article there is a website that you can pick two cards and see the benchmarks(performance in games)side by side.

Well, some quick shopping on tigerdirect (some folks don't like these guys but I have bought two pc's from them in the past and not had any issues).

Bare bones kit: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2580461&Sku=B69-1412 $550 US.

This would just leave you buying a video card and if you wanted a sound card.

The choice is of course yours and similar deals can be found from other companies that are similar to tigerdirect. I can search around some more if you like.

Good stuff I don't know why I don't use them I watch most there video card reviews guess I'm just used to newegg

I found that link for comparing video cards http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php

Look in the middle where its says texture fill rate and stuff like that best scores are bolded. the higher the numbers on all those scores the faster the card can do the work load

and you can use this to compare cpu's and pretty much everything else

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

and look at gregathit all quiet the past few days then comes in with a winner like that. It always helps to have more ppl helping with stuff like this sometimes you become unintentionally biased towards one brand or another or certain websites

/edit I've never ordered a bare bones before if I'm reading correctly it will still have to be assembled by her for that one correct? and still need an operating system? I still like the idea as I'm sure everything has been tested to work together and that one has some great reviews.

Yikes. That's a lot of information for me to go over. I'll take a look at it when I get back, I'm going to see Spiderman. Thanks again for the help guys. I'm going to take it easy and make sure I know what I'm getting before I get it. No rush, I guess... *looks longingly at the laundry list of games my current computer won't run*

A bare bones system will come already assembled. Most sites (tiger does) also "burn in" your memory/CPU so that they are sure it works properly.

Yes you would still need an OS (recommend you go with Win7 64bit - I use the home version which will be cheaper than the Pro version or Ultra).

I know, I'm just still trying to figure this stuff out. It's hard to know what to get without a basis for comparison. The last time I bought a CPU dual cores were the best thing out there. I get the general gist that quad core is good, above that can be better, but all those numbers might as well be in a foreign language.

Maybe if I detail what I want a bit better people will be able to give me better recommendations. I want to be able to run dual monitors, play most modern games at good to ultra settings, hook up my tv to it and watch Netflix that way, and a computer that boots up in under a minute would be nice. Or, you know, not ten minutes.

the ivybridge i5 is the going to be your best processor without spending a fortune(the sandybridge would be a small step down but still great).I think everyone can agree on that.right now a quad core is going to be best for gaming no game that I'm aware of uses more than 4 cores.For dual monitors at HD resolutions you can't skimp on the graphics card.Netflix isn't going to be a factor a $40.00 graphics card would stream movies just fine.As far as booting up a solid state drive(still expensive) a western digital raptor(also very expensive but cheaper than they used to be)would knock 10 seconds or so off boot time but not really worth it.The main reason for long boot times is too many unnecessary start up programs that's a whole new thread.Point is when its new its gonna start up real quick 4 years from now you can ask how to make it start up quicker.

lets do this one part at a time Greg,Vioxsis can all of us agree on an i5 sandy or ivy doing what she needs done for the next few years?then you have to aprove it queenbee57 then we will move to the next part then once we have a list you are happy with and we all agree will do the job we will cut the price down where we can and then find a barebones or build one from the ground up depending on price.

this is the only way I can think of to get this done without you knowing how to read the comparisons if someone has a better idea speak up.:D

Shane, I like your plan, doing it one part at a time and taking it from there works for me. I was actually seriously considering an i5 over an i7 just to keep it cheaper. If I stick with ivy bridge, will it be very expensive? You say sandybridge would be a small step down, but I'd be willing to do that if it saves me a lot of money. If it only saves me a little bit, I might as well go with an ivy.

Z77 motherboard, eh? Does that come with dual monitor hook ups standard, or do I need to specify?

The hook ups will be on the video card so don't worry about that.I'll link the processors here in a min and compare price

ok no brainer here go with the ivy

i5 sandy unlocked

i5 ivy unlocked

both are k series which means with the z77 board you can bump the ghz up when it starts to show its age a few years from now.well I guess we should find good z77 motherboards next and find out how expansion slots you need and other features so we can find the cheapest and most reliable.I have to leave now be back in a few hours hopefully we can at least get a list today and then figure out where we can downgrade to stay in budget tomorrow.The video card is going to be the hardest I'm saving that for last lol.

The hook ups will be on the video card so don't worry about that.

>.< I knew that. Really I did. I have no idea why I blanked on that.

ok no brainer here go with the ivy

i5 sandy unlocked

i5 ivy unlocked

both are k series which means with the z77 board you can bump the ghz up when it starts to show its age a few years from now.

Okay, ivy i5 it is. Is it complicated to increase ghz on a motherboard? Is there risk involved in doing so? I wouldn't want to melt my cpu.

complicated; no

risk involved; yes but only if your stupid :angel:

I would only be comfortable helping you overclock if we do it with out a voltage increase that what usually burns it up if your not carefull also I would recommend buying an after market cpu cooler decent ones are $50-70 and we are on a budget. I think once you fire this thing up you won't feel the need to OC it yet maybe in few years.

plans got canceled so ill be around here are a few motherbaords to look at

GIGABYTE cheap

MSI cheap

asus crossfire/sli capable

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128547 borebones board

I also included the one from the barebones so we can get an idea of price comparison as we go.

now we can fight over these or add more

something that might be a good idea if they still make them is picking up a PC gamer's PC building bible its has step by step pictures product suggestions and if we all picked up one up and you decide to buid it we can refer to it by page\pictures they used to be around $10.00 US but the last one a bought was in 2006 I know this could be achieved online but it's nice to hold something in your hands while doing it.

Those first two boards have terrible reviews. It seems people think they're overpriced, and a lot of them had problems with the BIOS. There were a couple DOAs as well. I'll do my own looking, see if I can find a cheaper mobo with better reviews.

Edit: What's your recommendation, 2x240 pin or 4x240 pin?

Those first two boards have terrible reviews. It seems people think they're overpriced' date=' and a lot of them had problems with the BIOS. There were a couple DOAs as well. I'll do my own looking, see if I can find a cheaper mobo with better reviews.

[/quote']

4x and I bet you'll see doa's and bios issue on all the reviews it happens and ppl will always post when it does

and I picked the first one because of the reviews 28 4+ vs 6 3- stars lol I know you love those reviews.

Those first two boards have terrible reviews. It seems people think they're overpriced' date=' and a lot of them had problems with the BIOS. There were a couple DOAs as well. I'll do my own looking, see if I can find a cheaper mobo with better reviews.

[/quote']

4x and I bet you'll see doa's and bios issue on all the reviews it happens and ppl will always post when it does

You're right of course. I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the BIOS in most of these reviews.

Since the mobo's the spine of the computer, maybe I shouldn't skimp on it? I mean, upgrading a CPU or RAM or video card is relatively easy compared to upgrading a motherboard. What do you say?

Here is a good exercise that I did a while back when I was looking into computer parts and learning more about them. Open up your computer, and look at it. You don't have to fiddle with anything. Just look at the parts, and list them off in your head. "That is a ____, it (insert whatever it does here). And that is a ____, it..." This really helped me get more comfortable with the inner workings of my computer. Give it a try if you feel like it. And when you don't know what a part is, look it up! Try to get to where you can easily identify every part, and know what they do.

(Unless you have a laptop... >.> )