Geck Guidance Requested

srayesmanll

First of all, I want to thank all of the mod devs on this site for creating/converting a great set of what I like to call AEMs (Adult Entertainment Mods). I just starting using mods a few months ago (kind of went backwards - Skyrim, then FONV, FO3, finally Oblivion), and now I want to contribute by doing some modding. I have an idea for a sexout mod that I want to start working on. I don't think scripting will be a problem (I basically do database scripting for a living). My problem is using the GECK itself. That piece of ...software... seems to be the least intuitive software I have ever used. Currently I am using it to view other Sexout mods to get some ideas on how scripting works, but navigating through GECK is annoying at best (and headache-inducing at worst). I am hoping I am missing something simple with this. For example: Is there a way to filter what you are viewing down to a single mod? Currently, I am looking at Loogie's SexoutRapeGame, but I have to wade through all of the other scripts, assets, etc from the base game. Is there a simple filter that I am missing? I have been looking for some kind of simple tutorial on the GECK interface but haven't found anything useful yet. I may have to bite the bullet and do the standard tutorial. I will definitely look through the Modders Resources on this site ("New Vegas Scripting Help for Dummies Answers 101" has some great info), and I'll take a look through You Tube for other tutorials, but if anyone knows of any really good "Must See" tutorials that I should view, I would greatly appreciate the information. Thanks again for a great set of AEMs and any info.

When it comes to filtering down everything to new content, it all pretty much depends on whether the modder uses dedicated editorIDs. For instance, if you load up Sexout.esm you can filter down by typing sexout in the filter box, because the string "sexout" appears in pretty much every sexout editorID. Other than that, there's nothing much to go on. Visually, you can get the little asterixes but that's it.

I don't think there are tutorials out there helping you get a feel for the overall interface. The best thing is to simply go for tutorials that show how to do specific stuff you want to do, and you'll get a feel for the generalities along the way. I suppose the standard geckwiki tutorial can be a good start - never did it myself: too much world building for my tastes.

The best way of learning, imo, is to carefully go through other mods that do stuff you want to do, both in geck & fnvedit, checking out how it all hangs together, while keeping the geck wiki/cs wiki/beth forums/nexus forums/cipscis/tesalliance/NVSE docs and what not handy to get extra intel on the functions and commands, and the pitfalls that come from the geck being indeed counterintuitive. Maybe keep a list of which tutorial does what. Then do a bit of tweaking. And build from there, really. It's a contuining process of trial and lots of error. Experience with scripting is probably a plus, but don't expect anything to be like what you're used to.

Some general stuff:

- get geck powerup. http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/36290

It actually tells you why your script fails to compile.

- it also helps to make yourself a little formlist containing everything that's added in your mod so you can find it fast

- Never forget geck is like a blender that works unlike any other blender ever made, with a whole bunch of knives that shouldn't be in there and those that should are either missing or blunted, and the manual is in sanskrit. Getting even a little juice out of it while keeping all your fingers is an epic win. :)

@jamm:

Thanks for the info. Looks like the current FNVEdit on Nexus is 3.0.21EXP. Also noticed FNVDump by the same author so I'll get that as well. Saw that filter but it seems most sexout mods have the same prefix of sexout (it's loading the SexoutNG and sexout common resources, so I have to wade through all of those as well).

@DoctaSax:

Saw the little asterisk, but really had to strain to see it (eyesight not what it once was and using plasma TV (1360X768) when initially playing with it). I'll need to move my testing/work off of the primary game machine to do any actual work. I figured the trial/error/fail/retry method was going to be the way to do it. Saw Powerup mentioned in the modders resource area of the site, so I'll add that to the list of apps.

So far, the apps I should get (not including the sexout and any reference mods) include:

GECK (duh)

FNVEdit

FNVDump

Powerup

NVSE

Blender *

Nifscope *

* not really planning on any animation/asset modification for my initial mod, but wouldn't hurt to have just in case I get adventurous...

Yep that's the list, I haven't needed FNVDump myself yet, but SCR & Pregnancy use the prefix's SexoutS & SexoutP, avoid the temptation to use 0MyMod as item starting with 0 used in scripts only work 90% of the time, they will drive you insane when you find the other 10% :)

So far' date=' the apps I should get (not including the sexout and any reference mods) include:

GECK (duh)

FNVEdit

FNVDump

Powerup

NVSE

Blender *

Nifscope *

* not really planning on any animation/asset modification for my initial mod, but wouldn't hurt to have just in case I get adventurous...

[/quote']

This is kind of essential too for any scripting: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/44566

Another way to get the "unique" content from mods is to sort by formid.

The formid column is typically very narrow, so you have to make it wider so you can see it.

But if you sort that column in descending order, all new content will appear before all old content.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

@Halstrom

The scripting language I use at work does allow using numbers in front of script names, but I always reserved that for testing scripts, never for live use scripts. Thanks for the heads up that it can actually cause problems.

@DoctaSax

Thanks for the suggestion on the script editor. Usually I use jEdit or Sublime Text 2 for work related scripting. Never seen notepad++ before, but with the text format plugin you suggested this should come in very handy. Hmm, wonder if the plug in can be converted to use in Sublime Text...

@sen4mi

Thanks for heads up on that particular sort.

• 2 weeks later...

If I could reach into my machine, grab the GECK by the fucking throat, pull it out, and stomp on it's head until it turns to jelly, I would right now. I have downloaded all of the items mentioned in the previous posts (except blender and nifscope - again not modifying or creating assets currently). Everything seems to work fine except the damn GECk. I duplicated an esp that I want to study and make changes to. I want to add a script to this, but nothing I do allows me to add a script. A have geck installed in the same folders as FONV. I also installed PowerUp in the same folders. I have tried launching Geck by itself, with base PowerUp, and with the PowerUp for NVSE. No go. I can view the scripts, quests, etc. But I can't modify a damn thing. I am running Win7, so I also tried running each as Administrator - no go. I defaulted each app to run as administrator - no go. I noticed that the data folder for FONV was marked as ReadOnly, so I took that off - no go. Nothing I do will allow me to add a script to this mod. What really, really, really, simple thing am I missing that will allow me to add a damn script? Thanks for any advice.

Some of what I'm going to say might seem obvious (unless it ain't).

IIRC, you don't start the geck with powerup - power up just comes on when the geck does. Powerup files go to the root folder (where the game exe is), the nvse support dll for powerup goes to data\nvse\plugins. Don't remember any other trickery to it, but check the readme to make sure.

To do any sexout modding you need to start the geck with nvse - just make sure your shortcut path is "C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\fallout new vegas\nvse_loader.exe" -editor (adjust according to where you have fnv & geck installed. Post-vista, I've always had my steam folder in something other than program files.) I also run everything - geck, nvse loader, the shortcut - as administrator, just to be sure.

To create anything new, you go to the corresponding list in the object window, rightclick, select "new".

Other than that, I have no idea what's going on over there.

I start geck from a shortcut "D:\Games\SteamApps\common\fallout new vegas\nvse_loader.exe" -editor

if you don't powerup doesn't work, if powerup and NVSE are not working any script containing NVSE commands will just refuse to save with no message.

Can you mod assets ok, like change damage on weapons or armor values? that would narrow it down to a NVSE/Powerup issue if they can be changed ok.

Here is what I have found so far:

1) I launched with the nvse_loader.exe with the -editor option. It launched GECK and after loading the bit I needed I was able to save the script. Hooray. The problem is still no Powerup.

2) The readme file included in the Powerup downloads on Nexus contradict what you guys are telling me. According to the readme for version 0.1.3:

INSTALLATION, UNINSTALLATION AND RUNNING

==========

The PowerUp requires no special installation. Just copy geckpu-nv.dll and geckpu-nv.exe to your

Fallout: New Vegas directory (where geck.exe is).

To uninstall just remove these files. This version of PowerUp does not store any settings anywhere.

To run the GECK with PowerUp, launch geckpu-nv.exe. It will automatically do the rest.

To run GECK with PowerUp and NVSE, launch geckpu-nv-nvse.exe. It will load NVSE by itself,

NVSE loader will not be used.

There is a version 0.1.1 on Nexus that had an update specific for NVSE. Neither version contained an NVSE sepecific dll that they said to put into the "plugins" folder. I followed the instructions explicitly, and yet running what these instruction told me to do apparently did not work. NVSE is not recognized, so the script fails to compile and save. My question now is: What version of Powerup are you running and where do I get it, because the version on newvegas.nexusmods is either really out of date, or just plain wrong.

Ok so there is a completely different version of powerup on Nexus by a different author. Removed the 0.1.3 version and put in this other version of Powerup (which is installed in the manner that DoctaSax described) and now it seems to work. Lauching Geck in the standard fashion (nvse_loader.exe -editor) recognizes NVSE and Powerup gives errors for crappy scripts (not that I would ever write a crappy script, just did it to test. Really. I mean it.) Now on to my project which will blow your minds. Or not.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys...

Sure, this is the one I found: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/41642 (The GECK 1 4 PowerUp for Fallout New Vegas -a fork) The other one I tried was called (The GECK PowerUp for New Vegas) It appears they are from the same author (PurplePigeon) but uploaded by different people. The "-a fork" version is the one similar to what DoctaSax described - the nvse dll goes in the data/nvse/plugin folder (same as the sexout nvse extender).

That is the one I use as well, the 0.1.6 fork. I don't have a need for direct ESM editing, am a bit 'nervous' about how that is implemented anyway, and generally try to avoid using things marked 'beta'.

The 0.1.6 version, NVSE plugin, works perfectly for me.

That is the one I use as well' date=' the 0.1.6 fork. I don't have a need for direct ESM editing, am a bit 'nervous' about how that is implemented anyway, and generally try to avoid using things marked 'beta'.

The 0.1.6 version, NVSE plugin, works perfectly for me.[/quote']

The direct ESM editing beta version seems to work fine for me and handy now I'm editing 2 ESM's continually, the only thing you need to do is manually remove any esm items with FNVEdit if you delete them.

I imagine it works well enough for most people, or there'd be plenty of warnings saying not to use it.. but I like doing the ESP/ESM dance. Makes it easier for me to switch between the dev version and the release version when checking on bug reports and stuff.

The copy/rename/fnvedit dance also helps me remember to up the version # and that kind of nonsense that I'm always forgetting. ;)

I imagine it works well enough for most people' date=' or there'd be plenty of warnings saying not to use it.. but I like doing the ESP/ESM dance. Makes it easier for me to switch between the dev version and the release version when checking on bug reports and stuff.

The copy/rename/fnvedit dance also helps me remember to up the version # and that kind of nonsense that I'm always forgetting. ;)[/quote']

Ah ok, I just don't have a Dev & Release version, release version is on LL, what's on my PC is always the Dev version :)

Sure' date=' this is the one I found: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/41642 (The GECK 1 4 PowerUp for Fallout New Vegas -a fork) The other one I tried was called (The GECK PowerUp for New Vegas) It appears they are from the same author (PurplePigeon) but uploaded by different people. The "-a fork" version is the one similar to what DoctaSax described - the nvse dll goes in the data/nvse/plugin folder (same as the sexout nvse extender).

[/quote']

Eh, my bad. I use the 0.1.6/41642 too, apparently, but originally gave you a link to the other one because I simply used the nexus search for it. Had no idea there were 2. The stuff that keeps cluttering up the place!

I imagine it works well enough for most people' date=' or there'd be plenty of warnings saying not to use it.. but I like doing the ESP/ESM dance. Makes it easier for me to switch between the dev version and the release version when checking on bug reports and stuff.

The copy/rename/fnvedit dance also helps me remember to up the version # and that kind of nonsense that I'm always forgetting. ;)[/quote']

Ah ok, I just don't have a Dev & Release version, release version is on LL, what's on my PC is always the Dev version :)

Same here. What I mean is that if I'm in the middle of a million different things and someone comes along with a bug report, I can test it by just starting the game with the ESM, which is always the current release version. During my testing, I test with the ESP (which has all my current edits) until I'm ready to release.

This is why sexout has the MCM check in it for sexout.esm *or* sexout.esp. I to development and testing strictly with the .esp. I tend to not test too heavily with other mods, relying on the console to just case sex spells and stuff to make sure I haven't broken anything.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived