UUNP body switch + couple questions

Katixa

Hi there!

First I hope this is the proper forum for this topic.

I'm playing Skyrim again after several months / years halted, and I'm using UUNP with a 7B Bombshell body. To be more precise, I use the XP32SE skeleton + HDT. I also use the RaceMenu, which includes the morphs, that I initialy used to adjust a little bit the breasts, legs, etc...

On the research I did before anything, I think I understood that one advantage was the ability to use any  armor, as long as it had BS support. Thing is, I tried a couple CBBE armors, that I processed using the BS tool, but in game they show holes on the skin on some parts of the body, even if HDT works properly.

This is not something it worries me much because I'm pretty satisfied with the many UUNP armors I have, but I would just want to know if I'm missing some step, or it's just that they're not compatible.

The other concern I have is about trying a different body. BS includes several body types, and I was thinking on maybe giving another one a try.

My guess, as I understand, is that I would have to use BS to regenerate again the body, hands, etc... AND also the armors installed, correct?

My worry here is about loading the game after this... I've had really bad experiences in the past when sometimes trying another skeleton or body, and having the game completely broken, getting CTD without even reaching the main menu, and even disabling all mods...

So before BS overwrittes working files, I would like to know if this step is safe. I just don't want to backup 60Gb of mod files, as I also lack the space...

Maybe the first step would be make a backup of just the body shape files, and to just regenerate the body shape, and see what happens?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards.

Hi there!

First I hope this is the proper forum for this topic.

I'm playing Skyrim again after several months / years halted, and I'm using UUNP with a 7B Bombshell body. To be more precise, I use the XP32SE skeleton + HDT. I also use the RaceMenu, which includes the morphs, that I initialy used to adjust a little bit the breasts, legs, etc...

On the research I did before anything, I think I understood that one advantage was the ability to use any  armor, as long as it had BS support. Thing is, I tried a couple CBBE armors, that I processed using the BS tool, but in game they show holes on the skin on some parts of the body, even if HDT works properly.

This is not something it worries me much because I'm pretty satisfied with the many UUNP armors I have, but I would just want to know if I'm missing some step, or it's just that they're not compatible.

The other concern I have is about trying a different body. BS includes several body types, and I was thinking on maybe giving another one a try.

My guess, as I understand, is that I would have to use BS to regenerate again the body, hands, etc... AND also the armors installed, correct?

My worry here is about loading the game after this... I've had really bad experiences in the past when sometimes trying another skeleton or body, and having the game completely broken, getting CTD without even reaching the main menu, and even disabling all mods...

So before BS overwrittes working files, I would like to know if this step is safe. I just don't want to backup 60Gb of mod files, as I also lack the space...

Maybe the first step would be make a backup of just the body shape files, and to just regenerate the body shape, and see what happens?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards.

It is possible to get skin mismatch if the armor was not converted for UUNP. That's because the body underneath (in the armor mesh) remains CBBE, and if your installed skin is UNP you will have some issues around the thigh and breasts due to mismatch in the UV maps and body mesh.

If you switch a body and not the armor, there will be a difference between the PC/NPC shapes when naked and armored/clothed. This should not be a very big deal, but you may get neck and ankle seams depending on which type you switch from/to, apart from obviously the issue with skin textures.

When in doubt, backup the /meshes/armor, /clothes, /dlc01 and /dlc02 folders. This will allow you to go back to your original working configuration in about a minute. This works for all vanilla armors, for individual mods you may want to hold off once you verify everything works fine.

In spite of all this, some meshes are badly made and will crash your game once BS is done building and PC/NPC equips the outfit. You can do nothing but start from scratch.

@Pauduan,

Thanks for the reply. Pretty much as I suspected... so no shape switch for me. I'm not up to starting from scratch at this point, specially having spent hundreds of hours before on other characters. There are still char types (or professions) I haven't tried yet, but right now I don't feel the strength or time to start medling with NMM profiles, etc. and risk a crash on my current char.

I appreciate the info about what folders to backup, was one of my concerns.

Thanks!

It is possible to get skin mismatch if the armor was not converted for UUNP. That's because the body underneath (in the armor mesh) remains CBBE, and if your installed skin is UNP you will have some issues around the thigh and breasts due to mismatch in the UV maps and body mesh.

If you switch a body and not the armor, there will be a difference between the PC/NPC shapes when naked and armored/clothed. This should not be a very big deal, but you may get neck and ankle seams depending on which type you switch from/to, apart from obviously the issue with skin textures.

When in doubt, backup the /meshes/armor, /clothes, /dlc01 and /dlc02 folders. This will allow you to go back to your original working configuration in about a minute. This works for all vanilla armors, for individual mods you may want to hold off once you verify everything works fine.

In spite of all this, some meshes are badly made and will crash your game once BS is done building and PC/NPC equips the outfit. You can do nothing but start from scratch.

There are still char types (or professions) I haven't tried yet, but right now I don't feel the strength or time to start medling with NMM profiles, etc. and risk a crash on my current char.

Hi. Sorry no experience at all with NMM.

Speaking from a manual installer POV, there is zero reason you can't update your body meshes and textures and game moves along fine afterwards.

Have done tons of changes and zero issues.

Changing skeletons midgame - not so sure - but that's not an issue becasue you are using XPMSE. So you're not changing skeletons.

Seems it's more a question of can NMM be properly updated with these new nifs that you are making?

As for the holes you are seeing, CBBE and UUNP have different shapes.

To convert, you need to not only delete CBBE, put in new UUNP, but you'll have to tweak mesh to make it fit for base shape of zeroed sliders and then again for the body type you want to use by editing those sliders.  And you will want to copy body weights over from  UUNP, because they cause clipping issues or holes in different animation positions.

• 2 weeks later...

There are still char types (or professions) I haven't tried yet, but right now I don't feel the strength or time to start medling with NMM profiles, etc. and risk a crash on my current char.

Hi. Sorry no experience at all with NMM.

Speaking from a manual installer POV, there is zero reason you can't update your body meshes and textures and game moves along fine afterwards.

Have done tons of changes and zero issues.

Changing skeletons midgame - not so sure - but that's not an issue becasue you are using XPMSE. So you're not changing skeletons.

Seems it's more a question of can NMM be properly updated with these new nifs that you are making?

As for the holes you are seeing, CBBE and UUNP have different shapes.

To convert, you need to not only delete CBBE, put in new UUNP, but you'll have to tweak mesh to make it fit for base shape of zeroed sliders and then again for the body type you want to use by editing those sliders.  And you will want to copy body weights over from  UUNP, because they cause clipping issues or holes in different animation positions.

@SassaAria:

Hi there, I'm sorry for not replying to this sooner, but didn't see it. I didn't follow the thread after my last post.

Thanks for the reply. I will try changing meshes if I find the strength some day, and surely after making a backup  :)

I'm not sure I want to switch to CBBE (even with bodyslide) as all my armors are UUNP, I was just curious about the cross-compatibility, because I read that this was precisely one of the benefits of using UUNP.

Let's hope that for the next Elder Scrolls, the creators of these mods (body meshes, clothes, etc.) use some kind of "standard" that allows any armor on any body shape, and other modders just upload their custom body shape to be imported, or something like that, meaning that the good old 7B Bombshell would be just some pre-set sliders, same with original UNP, CBBE, etc... which I guess would allow to also have just one skin format, also moddable.

Regards.

@SassaAria:

Hi there, I'm sorry for not replying to this sooner, but didn't see it. I didn't follow the thread after my last post.

Thanks for the reply. I will try changing meshes if I find the strength some day, and surely after making a backup  :)

I'm not sure I want to switch to CBBE (even with bodyslide) as all my armors are UUNP, I was just curious about the cross-compatibility, because I read that this was precisely one of the benefits of using UUNP.

Let's hope that for the next Elder Scrolls, the creators of these mods (body meshes, clothes, etc.) use some kind of "standard" that allows any armor on any body shape, and other modders just upload their custom body shape to be imported, or something like that, meaning that the good old 7B Bombshell would be just some pre-set sliders, same with original UNP, CBBE, etc... which I guess would allow to also have just one skin format, also moddable.

Regards.

If am reading the bodyslide info for sse, that is what they look like they are intending to do with the new bodyslide program, though that could be just me not reading things correctly.

Archived