Making a good looking character

Anurabis

If you're using RaceMenu, I recommend changing the "Head Shape" slider to, I think it was 1.

That will smooth any sharp edges of the head a bit. I think that slider essentially changes the head to the base shape that ECE uses.

That was pretty nice and I don't know if you can help me with that but I have taken on a general theme with which is was pretty good on other characters but I need very white/silvery hair for that but when I set the hair color to white it shows as blonde do you know a fix for that by any chance?

What a coincidence. I replied to a topic on this very question just today

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/65362-nooby-question/

Essentially, set your H value to a slight blue tint and your S value very low

Since I use Racemenu I had to improsive a little but I did it thank you

Guest MonsterFish

HSL values are used in Racemenu tho, they just don't actually show those values on the screen.

It's pretty easy to translate RGB values into HSL. Racemenu does show RGB but not HSL. If you know what you're doing you can quite easily replicate RGB Values

Taking everything into consideration from this thread I tried and I am actually pretty satisfied with the outcome. I'll just need to invest a bit more time into the colors 2a7fog8.jpg

Looking good! May I make a few comments?

Sure comments are welcome :D

HSL values are used in Racemenu tho, they just don't actually show those values on the screen.

It's pretty easy to translate RGB values into HSL. Racemenu does show RGB but not HSL. If you know what you're doing you can quite easily replicate RGB Values

Yeah thing is for hair I can only input that via sliders^^

She has a nice pretty round face. She also has a strong chin, moving her chin up would make her look more feminine. I believe her mouth is a little too wide, and her lower lip too thin and her upper lip too thick. You did a great job on her nose, eyes and brows! One thing I like to do on the eyes is lower the upper eyelid to give it a little sex appeal. Overall a much better job than I have done in the past. So kudos to you! I recommend to keep her and don't throw her away and try different slider settings until you are truly satisfied.

She has a nice pretty round face. She also has a strong chin, moving her chin up would make her look more feminine. I believe her mouth is a little too wide, and her lower lip too thin and her upper lip too thick. You did a great job on her nose, eyes and brows! One thing I like to do on the eyes is lower the upper eyelid to give it a little sex appeal. Overall a much better job than I have done in the past. So kudos to you! I recommend to keep her and don't throw her away and try different slider settings until you are truly satisfied.

Thank you I appreciate your comment and your advice thank you :D

Thank you I appreciate your comment and your advice thank you :D

You're welcome. I wish you success in your pursuit of beauty. Please continue to post screen shots of your progress.

You're welcome. I wish you success in your pursuit of beauty. Please continue to post screen shots of your progress.

So I have tweaked it a little and here is the new one:  (I changed the hair because I use hdt Hair and the other hairstyles was kind of going nuts)1rylq8.jpg

So I have tweaked it a little and here is the new one:  (I changed the hair because I use hdt Hair and the other hairstyles was kind of going nuts)1rylq8.jpg

Awesome! You're heading into the right direction! Perhaps now, try to remove the baby fat from her cheeks, but not too much.

Get inside some interior, type in console tfc 1 and fov 30. Preff stand still in front of light source.

zoom in on face and take a screen because at this angle you can barely see something

Took your advice into consideration :D

214p2s7.jpg

As long as you have Racemenu and a good body texture pack it's quite easy to make good looking character.

The easiest way is to find a good looking follower on the nexus, check if it was done with Racemenu (ece sliders are different) and import it as a racemenu preset.

I created my own chars from Rxkx22 followers. I used the head mesh and changed a few different things for each of them

Always use a bald head during creation 'cause once a baldheaded face looks acceptable any hairstyle will do.

Already before Helgen you'll realize that the actual in game appearance differs slightly from the creation menu which calls for minor adjustments.

If you use one of the nice community presets don't be surprised that almost everybody has seen that face often enuff already.

Making beautiful female characters is simultaneously complicated and simpler than it seems. Having reinstalled on a new PC recently I've found this out the hard way. Since there's a lot of different methods and races and whatnot that can confuse things I'm just going to focus my advice on the basics of human(oid) faces.

First, you're using Racemenu, so bravo! That's a big step done already.

I'm going to mention body types next simply because it has an effect on what skins and outfits and such you end up using. If you've never used BodySlide, please start now. Even if all you use it for is to create a basic body and mold your outfits to it, it's still worth learning. Heck, now that they add in the hdt pussy and attach the collision info right into the head .nifs, there's no reason NOT to use it. In my previous build I used CBBE but now I'm using UUNP because of the different skins available for it and the extra polys. 

The second factor I discovered that has a HUGE effect on how characters and NPCs look is the type of skin you choose. I know, it doesn't seem that big a deal but it is. Since I was creating a new build I figured I'd try out a whole bunch of different ones since there are so many nice looking ones available but I was shocked at how many looked nice initially but made the NPCs look like complete dogs. The ones I liked the most are:

• SG Female Textures Renewal - I've seen a lot of people bash this texture pack and I'm at a loss to figure out why. It's beautifully done. I used it on my previous build and the only complaint I had about it was that the areolae on the breasts were nearly nonexistent. I wound up replacing them in Photoshop. Other than that, though, it's a gorgeous texture set and makes the NPCs look lovely.
  • SRG Female Textures - Kind of the successor of SG Textures, SRG takes it a good ten steps beyond. It's fantastically detailed and realistic in its skin flaws without making the women look like hags. The textures are BIG, so you might want to stay away if your PC uses a walker. I believe it's UNP only, as well. This is the diffuse maps I use in my current build.
  • Fair Skin Complexion - This skin texture pack is a work of art, seriously. It's amazing. I would use it entirely but I find that it makes women a little too perfect looking. Skyrim's a rough place and it'd be reflected on the women who work there. If you farm all day long in rocky soil in a climate where it snows 9 months out of the year your skin wouldn't glow. Regardless, there is no better normal and glow maps out there. I use them in my current game and transfer them to all my followers and custom races.
  • Fitness Body - This is just a nice little add-on that allows you to add details to your normal maps to make your women look a little more buff. You may need to resize them to fit since they're 2048 but they're extremely easy to use.

An easy way to get a good start on creating good looking characters is to have a better starting point. FastestDogInTheDistrict (he has an account on LL but I forget the name) created a series of preset overhauls and new presets for all the existing human races. All he did was take the vanilla presets and tweak them around to be more attractive, so they're kinda the same but not so dog ugly to start with. He did a nice job. 

You can find his mods here.

Custom Races are another way to kinda cheat. Even if you don't want to use the race you can create a face you like using them, then use RaceMenu's preset loader to save the preset and export the head .nif. Once you have those you can go onto any race you like then load the preset and the facial features will transfer to the vanilla race. The only two races I recommend are:

• The Ningheim - Does anyone NOT have them? They're gorgeous.
  • Lunari Race - Originally the faces she used were not that impressive and were kinda... samey. After she updated the mod, though, she added a lot more presets with some different looks. They're actually quite nice.
  • You could also try Succubus Race. A lot of people have issues with it creating conflicts and / or being buggy. I never personally had any issues with it but whatever. It also provides some really nice presets that you could use as a starting point.

Some other beautifying mods you should use are:

Those are basics, really. After that you can get into all sorts of other mods and tweaks that will change but all you need are variations of the above. There's all kinds of stuff for other races and whatnot, CoverKhajits for kitties, Forgotten Argonian Roots for lizards, Ratrace's Orc Race Replacer for orismer, EEO for other mer, etc... No more Sunken Cheeks et al for blood suckers. The list goes on and on.

After you put together all those mods, though, it really all comes down to slider fu with Racemenu. Tiny little tweaks to cheek height, eye size and tilt, nose bridge width, and so on can be the difference between a passable female and a beauty queen in Skyrim. 

Man this is an AWESOME POST! Thank you so much! I was already using some of these but I downloaded a bunch more. I have some comments on these:

Fair Skin Complexion: Skin is the cornerstone of beauty. This skin is just incredible. Yeah it's a bit unrealistic for farmers and warriors to have skin this nice but if you are going for that supermodel/actress look, this is gonna give it to you. Scratch that, not even models look this good unless they've been airbrushed. This is more like the photoshopped magazine cover girl. This is the kind of unrealistic fantasy look I am looking for! If you haven't tried this skin, give it a shot!

The Ningheim race: I gotta tell ya, I was real excited to hear there was a race that was gorgeous by default. I couldn't wait to check out this new race and how great they look. Well the first thing I browsed through were the presets, and while they are decent, they aren't fantastic. They are better than most of the stock presets, but that's not saying much. Presets aside, the one question on my mind was "What is all this crap on all of their faces?" I thought maybe it was just a complexion setting, but this race only has 2 complexions, some crap and more crap. No clear skin option! Sorely disappointed. I couldn't work with this. The worst part was I could see no way to use the fairskin complexion mod with this race. I gave up on ningheim right quick.

Ks Hairdos: This is the holy grail of hair packs. I'd already been using apachii sky hair since many other mods require it, but K's hairdos is way better. WAY BETTER! Not only are there way more options than Apachii, but the options that are available are better looking than Apachii's. Just fair skin complexion mod and K's hairdos were enough to bump my gal up a few points by themselves. If you're like me and have been using Apachii's sky hair because other mods required it, you have to give K's Hairdos a try. Just the sheer volume of options means you'll likely find a hairstyle you really like.

After playing around with the new mods I decided to download a nice looking preset and get to work on tweaking. I've spent much time today working the sliders but I feel like I'm too close to the work now. Anyone want to offer some critique on how to make her better? Pics:

Well, it turns out I cannot link pics because there's no way to copy and paste links in here. WTF?

EDIT: looks like this webpage is broken in internet explorer. I had to use another browser

Pics from a few angles:

ScreenShot6.png

ScreenShot8.png

ScreenShot10.png

She's quite an improvement over my last gal but I'm still not 100% satisfied with her. Any suggestions? Here's the old gal for comparison:

Ugh, dat apachii hair. Her new skin is looking nice though.

ScreenShot15.png

ive been trying to make a cute orc for a while now but no matter how i tweak them they end up lookin like they got hit in the face with a bag of wtf. i never though of using a preset from another race. actually, i didnt even know u could. i have ningheim and lunari. i guess ill try using 1 of them

I would like a pair of pictures of my character's Upload, but unfortunately I do not know how (from own PC).
absolutely no idea how to do that.
my characters have this appearance, without many tools (Mods)!  ;)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lDV6Jry_vTU/maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dOUqhEvQYb8/maxresdefault.jpg

There was a mod on nexus called Proporsia that illustrated standard facial proportions. For example, the placement of the eyes relative to the forehead and ears. The space between the nose and upper lip and other variables. Once I got that sorted out, it was just a matter of making minor tweaks to add some personality.

It's gone now, unfortunately, but if you google face proportions, I'm sure you'll find some handy diagrams to get you started.

As neanderthrall said proportions are key to a ''perfect'' face...

This is a mask for ''perfect'' proportion:

RFMask_printable.jpg

Here the mask is applied to a model:

mask_superimposed1.jpg

I suggest you study the mask thoroughly and compare your pictures using this mask.  ;)

that's all nonsense!

it comes down at the observer at, for some people this face is * beautiful *!  :P

9h8lti.jpg

Archived